FRLG tier list

MacLovin

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose some stuff, dropped some stuff.

Also, what about those no-evo mons with good bases.

Kanga

Tauros

Scyther

Pinser

Hitmonlee

Hitmonchan

Magmar

And add Exeggcute.

These mons seem to be a bit low, since they are salvageable.

Unlike Paras, etc.

But, I'm tired, so I won't elaborate.

Don't Pinsir and Scyther have a 1% appearance rate, and in the Safari Zone no less (so it's not even like you can grind while looking for them)?

Don't Pinsir and Scyther have a 1% appearance rate, and in the Safari Zone no less (so it's not even like you can grind while looking for them)?

I'm assuming rarity doesn't affect rating.

I'm assuming rarity doesn't affect rating.

Even in Scyther's case where you might have to catch multiple until you find one with Technician? Or should we count it against Scyther that even if we do find one, it might have Swarm and therefore be less useful?

Even in Scyther's case where you might have to catch multiple until you find one with Technician? Or should we count it against Scyther that even if we do find one, it might have Swarm and therefore be less useful?

Technician's a Gen 4 ability, thus it's not available in FRLG.

Edited by Golden Cucco

Magikarp moved a little.

Also, let's keep it as realistic as possible.

Starter+One pre-forest mon can easily be around lvls 7-10 by end of forest.

"optimal duos prior to forest"

Charmander+Mankey

Mankey low kicks Brock to death, and takes care of rocks.

BUlba+Spearow

Spearow pecks forest, and anything BUlba can't do jack shit to.

Squirtle+Mankey/Spearow/Rattata

Squirtle fits with anything.

On a seperate note, electric types are quite rare. Good electric types with a half-decent movepool are even rarer. (Except Electabuzz/Zapdos, but they come waaayyy late)

Voltorb's movepool is shit and can't help much.

Jolteon has good stats, but bite+shock wave coverage only gets so far.

Pikachu contributes the most early on, and is very stable mid-lategame with natural TB+selection of cheap Celedon Shop TMs.

Magnemite has good Sp attack and all, but it's movepool sucks and it's slow and hates lategame gyms.

Electabuzz is awesome, but it comes a bit late alongside Maggie. But its movepool is better.

Zapdos is godly, but comes sooo late.

Charmander wants Mankey as partner.

Bulba loves Spearow, because Pidgey needs grinding to get to flying stab.

Squirtle works with any of them, provided they don't need alot of grinding

Starter is bound to be lvl 7 at forests entry, and in the case of CHar/Squirt, they can exit around lvls 9-10.

BUlba has no such luck.

En route to mt moon, Pikachu can be paired with Char+Mankey to take care of the flying types and be the misty killer.

And it can be with BUlba+Spearow to kill the flyers/rocket zubats that come all over the place.

It fits with Squirtle, raping Misty.

Speaking of which, Misty is indeed problematic. Let's look at the "misty killers"

Oddish-

Absorb sucks, it's slow, and only value it has is powder.

Mediocre.

Bellsprout-

Offense oriented. Similar to Bulbasaur minus the bulk.

Better than Oddish, but it's still kinda iffy.

Pikachu-

comes in forest, and trains on Lasses with pidgeys and bug guys with cocoon 'mons and such.

Can easily catch up.

Bulbasaur-

It's the misty-killer if it was chosen, but falls off like a brick lategame.

Wartortle-

Bite hits misty hard, and it resists water pulse.

Hits with megapunch, etc.

Best, but Starmie still hurts it.

Other options are the moon stone evos.

Clefable/Wigglytuff-

stab megapunch/kick.

Maybe sing?

I guess megapunch/kick does it?

So, pikachu is easily one of the best "misty killers" to invest into.

>It doesn't fall off lategame, with natural TB and decent enough stats to use dig/BB/megapunch or secret power or return.

>Evolves as soon as it gets TB.

>Has natural synergy with Charmander+Mankey pre-Mt.Moon team.

Pikachu is best electric type.

Contributing during earlygame, having synergy with the starters, and it also helps clean shop in SS Anne!. (Let's say it's lvl 18-20 by the time it arrives there.)

It can easily get 2-4 lvls on SS Anne.

>Water Trainers.

>Rivals FLyer.

And it can take the rock tunnel slowpokes, etc.

Helps in the water, and on the east route to Fuschia.

It's easily lvl 26 by the time we're done with Rocket Game corner. Thus granting TB.

THen we evolve.

Also, note, I fucking hate it but it makes everything flow so much better

If we're assuming efficiency, i.e. minimal grinding, only the starters will be any higher than lv. 6 in time for Brock.

i find this an outrageous assertion when you catch mankey at literally almost the same level as your starter pokemon

Coming after Koga isn't that late, especially when Zapdos requires 0 investment afterwards and can literally take any gym you want, but will probably want to avoid onix/rhydon/horn. Pikachu is good for killing Misty, yes, but that's it. I'm not bringing Raichu out against Surge/Erika/Giovanni etc. Why would I invest early game exp into a Pikachu and not into mankey/Nidoran/starter when said trio can handle Misty fine together.

Coming after Koga isn't that late, especially when Zapdos requires 0 investment afterwards and can literally take any gym you want, but will probably want to avoid onix/rhydon/horn. Pikachu is good for killing Misty, yes, but that's it. I'm not bringing Raichu out against Surge/Erika/Giovanni etc. Why would I invest early game exp into a Pikachu and not into mankey/Nidoran/starter when said trio can handle Misty fine together.

With a zero investment, Zapdos's moveset is as follows: T-Wave, Agility, Detect, Drill Peck; Charge coming next at L61, by which point the game will most likely than not be beaten. If you're not cool with the weak Shock Wave (assuming you still have it) or Thunder's accuracy, you'll have to invest into the expensive Thunderbolt TM.

I don't understand the reasoning in the second part of your post. You may not bring out Raichu against Giovanni, and it's pretty obvious, but you're not really bringing out Primeape against Sabrina, or Nidoking against Lapras, when Raichu could Mega Kick Alakzam and Thunderbolt Lapras (and it doesn't even want the expensive TM). Ivysaur and Wartortle with Bite have no difficulty with Misty, but Charmeleon, Nidoroyal of choice and Mankey may not be the best trio for the purposes of getting you an easy victory in that particular battle. Charmeleon faces danger of OHKO, Nidoking gets hurt, Mankey doesn't do much damage with Karate Chop. Pikachu could contribute to the victory by paralysing Starmie and using Thundershock once (in most cases). It doesn't take Water Pulses very well, but it's still not the gym where his possible contribution should be entirely disregarded.

i find this an outrageous assertion when you catch mankey at literally almost the same level as your starter pokemon

You can't be serious.

You get your starter at level 5, it will have about 201-3 (depending on the starter) after being the rival starter. Being in the Medium Slow group, it requires 560 to reach level 10, so that's 360 from the point you can catch others.

Mankey is in the Medium Fast group, so it has 125 exp at level 5, and needs 1000 exp to level 10. Furthermore, to get the better sources of exp, you will probably have to switch-train, which only increases the amount of grinding you have to do.

gg research.

With a zero investment, Zapdos's moveset is as follows: T-Wave, Agility, Detect, Drill Peck; Charge coming next at L61, by which point the game will most likely than not be beaten. If you're not cool with the weak Shock Wave (assuming you still have it) or Thunder's accuracy, you'll have to invest into the expensive Thunderbolt TM.

I assume he meant 0 exp investment, which is important, since time is exp. We should take into account Pikachu gets TB for free, but if we're penalising Zapdos the $80000 for TB, then we should penalise Pikachu the 80000 exp (assuming lv. 45) it needs to take on Lorelei.

I assume he meant 0 exp investment, which is important, since time is exp. We should take into account Pikachu gets TB for free, but if we're penalising Zapdos the $80000 for TB, then we should penalise Pikachu the 80000 exp (assuming lv. 45) it needs to take on Lorelei.

Why would we penalise somebody for winning battles during 95% of the game? We catch Pikachu and it does us favours, not the other way around.

I meant exp investment mainly, which is far more important and why I mentioned early game exp. Its true that Zapdos wants Tbolt but it literally destroys with it anyway and we can probably just give it rain dance to set up super accurate thunders and destroy pretty much every important battle for the rest of the game (sans giovanni).

I don't understand the reasoning in the second part of your post. You may not bring out Raichu against Giovanni, and it's pretty obvious, but you're not really bringing out Primeape against Sabrina, or Nidoking against Lapras, when Raichu could Mega Kick Alakzam and Thunderbolt Lapras (and it doesn't even want the expensive TM).

Why do you latch onto Giovanni when the bigger point is with Erika/Surge is clearly the bigger issue. What does Pikachu do with its availability? One stinking gym and then struggles the next two and then it does average at best against Koga and then gets completely outclassed in every field for the rest of the game by Zapdos. Why is that better?

Ivysaur and Wartortle with Bite have no difficulty with Misty, but Charmeleon, Nidoroyal of choice and Mankey may not be the best trio for the purposes of getting you an easy victory in that particular battle. Charmeleon faces danger of OHKO, Nidoking gets hurt, Mankey doesn't do much damage with Karate Chop. Pikachu could contribute to the victory by paralysing Starmie and using Thundershock once (in most cases). It doesn't take Water Pulses very well, but it's still not the gym where his possible contribution should be entirely disregarded.

Ok so if we pick charmander, Pikachu is very helpful for a gym. Else its just good. Sorry, but how is that more impressive than a legendary who comes in with like 25+ levels over the enemy pokemon and a secondary STAB?

you can't account for opportunity cost in this tier list because there's so many pokemon

Why does having more pokemon make it impossible to opportunity cost? Besides, I'm only talking about the earlygame, when pokemon might actually be struggling to keep up with gym leaders.

Edited by kirsche