So... here's the problem.

Life

Momentary stun, at best. Crotch shots are more likely to piss someone off than turn something around, unless they have very low pain tolerence, in which case why the hell are they starting a fight in the first place.

You're, uh, wrong. What you are describing is what happens if you get hit in the balls with a lazily kicked soccerball, or run into something at the wrong angle. Being kicked in the testicles is significantly more unpleasant than that, and should severely affect anyone you kick or even knee, even with adrenaline going. I mean, there was a woman a couple years ago who was just going around kicking random guys in the balls, and she burst several of their testicles, and I don't think she even had any formal martial arts training, so yeah.

Edited by Defeatist Elitist

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Siding with Revan here, I have a pretty high pain tolerance (being the muscle blob that I am), but getting kicked in the nuts still hurts me severely. It isn't something I could just shrug off and ignore, I'd probably have to roll off this hypothetical pinned down woman and whimper for a few moments trying to regain my composure. Haze, if you can get kicked in the nuts and not feel much but discomfort, you might want to get that checked out by a doctor.

I've never heard of them being higher, especially because of the extra stuff a frat has to do. It may depend on the college you go to, then- I go to a nerd college, where the people trying to get a more "legitimate college experience" (read: drinking, partying, fucking) join up in a frat/sorority as their only escape from a nerd school. There are some frats that do have good students, but I wouldn't say they have a higher-than-non-frat/soror GPA over at my school..

While I can't say that Greek GPAs are higher at EVERY school, there is research that supports that Greek GPAs are generally higher than non-Greek.

http://member.afa1976.org/resources/PublicDocuments/Oracle_vol5_iss1_Debard.pdf

Yes the study was done by the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors but it doesn't make the research any less valid.

But again, I can't speak for your school specifically. Some people don't know how to do fraternity right. They're the ones that people think of when they generalize, but most aren't like that.

Well you were talking about a situation where he'd have you pinned to the floor, so I doubt it would be enough, unfortunately, and then you'd end up with a very angry man who has you pinned to the floor. As for how strong a kick, I had assumed a full force kick.

F=ma. Kneeing uses the hip as the central pivotal point for centripedal acceleration. I dunno about your legs, maybe they're sticks or something, but my legs bench more than 3x my weight and it accelerates fairly quickly. If I can incapacitate someone's hand for a few minutes if I knee it hard enough, something more vulnerable as the crotch would not be able to withstand it.

Do the math.

Well you were talking about a situation where he'd have you pinned to the floor, so I doubt it would be enough, unfortunately, and then you'd end up with a very angry man who has you pinned to the floor. As for how strong a kick, I had assumed a full force kick.

i think i'm siding with lumi and revan here

i have enough formal training to have a decently high pain tolerance and getting hit in the nuts still hurts like fuck. the one time i went sparring without a cup it was enough to basically drop me, but even on the floor it hurts enough that the stun is significantly longer than you're making it out to be

not to mention that in a fight even a momentary stun can turn the fight

I'm just going to point out to you all that there is a large difference in both damage received and pain tolerance from when you're in a relaxed state and someone sucker punches you (or sucker ballskicks you) and when you're in a fight or flight state, especially when you're mind starts broadcasting that you cannot afford to be incapacitated at that point, whether you want to realize it or not, Defeatist, adrenaline makes things that you would deem impossible completely possible.

This is especially if you're well built, and not an overacting sports player.

As for my legs being like twigs, no, but I don't use them if I'm in a fight anyway if it can be avoided because it's beyond stupid and leaves you off balance, in an actual fight, you're better off using the environment as a weapon anyway.

You can go on and on about your sparring and your "what you'd do if someone attacked you", but when you've had people attack you and you've actually had to fight back, see if you hold the same opinions.

Let's see you keep going with the burst ballsack then.

In a position like that, you don't have much of a choice. A person well-trained in Judo could use the moments before pin to his or her advantage since there's a throw designed just for that. What are you gonna do, just lie there? Again, F=ma. I don't care how much adrenaline you have or your pain tolerance, you ballsacks can only withand so much force. If a person can bench x with his/her legs, at a higher rate of acceleration, that force is going to increase by the factor of the acceleration of the leg. It's like no matter how much you're riled up, if I apply x newtons of force to your ear, it's coming off.

In that situation, the person on the bottom can't afford to lose.

have you ever been in this situation? or anything remotely like it? if not, shut up, theory can go suck it.

you can go on about "sparring isn't the same" and all that. sure, the consequences for failure aren't as high but it's still adrenaline pumping pretty hard (from the competition, from the fact that some of these guys are twice my size, from the fact that i know that these guys are not hesitant to hurt me due to my rank). with training, kicks are amazingly powerful with a stupidly long range, i don't see why you wouldn't use them if you have a bit of distance between you and your opponent. besides, it doesn't throw you off balance that much to hit someone close range in the crotch (it's not that high up that you upset yourself).

speaking of, your body being in a fight-or-flight state changes almost nothing. sure, it won't incapacitate you as quickly. it still hurts. you won't go down (maybe) right away, but it'll definitely stun you. have you ever heard of bullet time? that's one effect of adrenaline you seem to be ignoring - the more of it that's pumping, the more every second gets drawn out in your brain. even one second of stun time is enough to completely turn the tables. fuck, the time it takes for someone to adjust their grip on your leg from your ankle to your knee is more than enough time to get a good kick in. one second of "fuck what just happened" (which, by the way, is what your brain does when you get hit in the nuts and the adrenaline is too high for you to notice really) will fuck you over.

go fight someone and get hit in the nuts, see if your opinion changes.

It does sound like we'd get along, yeah~ :D

That's good. And yeah, I feel bad for every guy who undeservingly got kicked in the nuts. I have a few guy friends who had that happen to them D:

Your friend kind of sounds like a more intimidating version of me, Helios, right down to the height and weight. :XD: I'm trying to be more pacifistic nowadays.

Haha look at me, I can hypothetically bring strangers closer together and create friendships.

So you do have compassion Lumi xD. I feel bad for girls on their period and who are pregnant though. I have an idea of what it feels like, and I can tell you it's no fun.

Hey, I have extremely strong Christian values man.

I loled.

I'm just going to point out to you all that there is a large difference in both damage received and pain tolerance from when you're in a relaxed state and someone sucker punches you (or sucker ballskicks you) and when you're in a fight or flight state, especially when you're mind starts broadcasting that you cannot afford to be incapacitated at that point, whether you want to realize it or not, Defeatist, adrenaline makes things that you would deem impossible completely possible.

As for my legs being like twigs, no, but I don't use them if I'm in a fight anyway if it can be avoided because it's beyond stupid and leaves you off balance, in an actual fight, you're better off using the environment as a weapon anyway.

You can go on and on about your sparring and your "what you'd do if someone attacked you", but when you've had people attack you and you've actually had to fight back, see if you hold the same opinions.

I can't disagree with the other guys when it comes to getting hit in the nuts, because if you don't feel some sort of terrible pain you must have a nerve problem lr something. I can't remember where I saw this (I think it was sports science?) but there was this one guy who trained himself for years and he could get kicked in the balls and not feel a thing, and then they described how it was possible scientifically. I can't remember much though.

I will agree, however, that adrenaline can make you do some pretty amazing stuff. The only reason why I'm still alive is because of my adrenaline (and I'm not exaggerating trust me). On a lesser extreme, I remember one time I got into a car accident and the car flipped a few times and landed in a swamp. The air bags didn't pop up so i used my arms to shield my head, so when I bumped into the dashboard I didn't get a concussion or something. After climbing out the back window and traversing through all the broken glass in the car, and getting back to the road, I found that my hands and arms had suffered deep wounds and blood was dripping everywhere. Yet I didn't feel a thing.

Also, I have to agree that sparring and an actual fight are two completely different things, especially since a situation where some of those sparring moves would be really useful don't come up very often especially when guns and knives come into play. Then again, I'm not super qualified when it comes to Martial Arts, as I've only taken a few lessons as a child, but they told me the same thing. Again, adrenaline helps out a lot with pain tolerance, but I've never been hit in the balls during a fight (at least I don't remember it) so I'm not really sure whether or not adrenaline could make you tolerate that any more than you normally could.

Edited by Helios

All is fine and well but what lumi doesn't mention is that the groin is one of the easiest spots of the body to protect. Go into a fighting stance. You have now effectively protected your groin from anything but kicks coming in from the side. For kicks from the side, you pull up your hind leg. Complete ballsack barrier.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a great novel by itself and I highly recommend it to anyone especially those who can actually read Chinese

Because I don't know the quality of the English version

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a great novel by itself and I highly recommend it to anyone especially those who can actually read Chinese

Because I don't know the quality of the English version

Just remember it's a novel. It's filled with historical inaccuracies :P:.

I know. I actually know most of the historical accuracies in there, too, like the exact one. But it's a really good read so I don't care :D

I've read that book so many times. Have yet to do in English, though, but if I can hunt a copy down I will.

Haven't been able to read anything besides my textbooks lately though. Last time I read a novel was last semester. :<

So much work aaaah

Edited by Luminescent Blade

You don't watch MMA, do you :P:? I guarantee you those guys are 100x tougher than you are, and I've seen some quit from accidental groin strikes.

I mean I can't exactly experience it myself, but I am pretty sure that if those guys are going down then your average joe is as well. And they fulfill ALL of the requirements you laid out.

Edited by Tangerine

natural evolution of conversation dunkass

and to think, were this anywhere but fftf staff members would be attacking such a thing and saying it's spam as if it's legitimately horrible!

Disgusting.

The solar plexus is a personal favorite. Not that I've experienced it one way or another, but it's like BAM right in the core of your being. Also has a cool name.