Referring to the USA as "America"

Florete

Since I trust you to all be a reasonable bunch of people, I'd like to know what you all think of this. Does it offend you? Do you think it's "wrong?" Do you not care? And please explain why if possible.

I'm asking because of what happened in this topic over at MAL (the first post was recently edited, but the original post is quoted in the second post). Leaving the behavior of the community aside, a larger amount of people than I expected felt like pointing out that "America" is not a country. Now, sure, perhaps it is officially the United States of America, but it is commonly shortened to simply "America" and when people say "America" (not in the context of North or South America) I'm pretty sure others will know what they are talking about.

I do not think it's a problem in any way, nor is it something worth being "corrected," and at this point in time I don't understand why someone would. Discuss.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in itself it is kind of wrong, since America is the name of the whole continent, the terms of North/South America aside.

But I don't think it's that much of an issue to get upset about. I see it like the weight/mass thing. Using Kilograms when speaking of weight is wrong, but the usage is so commonplace it's kinda silly to get upset they don't use Newtons and to try to correct them.

So yeah. Besides, over here we use United States, so it's not like I get to encounter it much anyway.

Well America is the country where being gay is a choice and being fat is genetics. Mexico and Canada arent too bad... yeah, I can see why people would be offended.

I've been trying to break the habit of calling the U.S. "America", because in all technicality the country is called "The United States of America". But even that name is clunky compared to most other country names. I don't like calling the U.S. "America" because it's ... well, maybe it's me, but it feels arrogant. Canada, Mexico, and everything in South America and Central America is also "America". The U.S. isn't just AMERICA. It's a part of it, yes, but just one part.

Well America is the country where being gay is a choice and being fat is genetics. Mexico and Canada arent too bad... yeah, I can see why people would be offended.

This.

Also, I've noticed that Canadians tend be more Moe than other "Americans". Or that's what I've heard. Your mileage may vary

Before I came to the states, a lot of people from the United States referred to themselves as "American".

I think despite the technicalities present, "I'm from the United States" is a bit "meh". And because of that, just from the 2 other languages other than English that I know... that's what's pretty much what gets me to assume "United States" whenever someone says America.

I don't think anyone should be offended by something like this.

This.

Also, I've noticed that Canadians tend be more Moe than other "Americans". Or that's what I've heard. Your mileage may vary

Desu desu, eh?

And yeah "American", that seems to be the only demonym for people from the US so that's another reason.

United states of america or USA is too long or hard on the tounge, so people often call it America to make it sound smoother. I do this often, although technically incorrect, I live in the United states and people know what I am talking about. Now, in Mexico or Canada, maybe not.

I would say "I live in the United states" But not "The United States is a good place to live" I would say "America is a good place to live"

In formal situations, use the proper name, but in casual ones, America is just fine.

It's not America it's AMURICA

Personally I think United States or America is fine. But sometimes when let's say a game is announced they tend to say things like "stateside" or "coming to America" and it's like, "Well it's coming here (Canada) too right?".

yay canadia

This.

brb googling your otaku terminology

Edited by Xmas

I don't mind when it is used to refer to either north america or north, south and central america together, I don't mind when it is used to refer to the usa, and I love when it is used to refer to Earth's moon.

I just hate it when someone is talking about someone from the UK, but doesn't know their nationality and calls them something that implies they're from the USA. It's insulting even. I don't want to be associated with my former oppressors.

I always wanted to be called a United Statesian.

Now that would be moe.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

I dislike it when its referred to as America, because America doesn't just stand for a country. Its a continent (or 2 depends where you are).

Edited by SlayerX

I dislike it when its referred to as America, because America doesn't just stand for a country. Its a continent (or 2 depends where you are).

Someday we will get Central America declared its own continent, and the Americas will consist of three continents.

America is a term generally used as United States of America is too long, and USA is bulky. When referring to countries, it's obvious because of the name being exclusively used by the United States. Of course when speaking geographically no one usually refers to them as a whole, since it's such a large space. Instead they are then referred to as continents. So when westerners, typically Americans and Canadians, are expecting a release from Japan for example, they are awaiting a "North American release".

As stated in the OP, and rather as an example, many other countries don't use such a specific distinction. Japan's word for the United States is アメリカ, or amerika*. I'm sure in many other languages it's similar, or the same.

There is of course アメリカ合衆国, which would be the full title of the country, but I have yet to see it used and am guessing it is a formal title. There is also 亜米利加合衆国, which seems much more formal given the kanji.

Since I trust you to all be a reasonable bunch of people, I'd like to know what you all think of this. Does it offend you? Do you think it's "wrong?" Do you not care? And please explain why if possible.

I'm asking because of what happened in this topic over at MAL (the first post was recently edited, but the original post is quoted in the second post). Leaving the behavior of the community aside, a larger amount of people than I expected felt like pointing out that "America" is not a country. Now, sure, perhaps it is officially the United States of America, but it is commonly shortened to simply "America" and when people say "America" (not in the context of North or South America) I'm pretty sure others will know what they are talking about.

I do not think it's a problem in any way, nor is it something worth being "corrected," and at this point in time I don't understand why someone would. Discuss.

I think it might reffering about North America or USA. (But thats just my guess, I am not too sure.)

Technically, North America and South America is a Continent, not a Country, and United States (also called United States of America or USA) is a Country.

America meaning the country is such a common thing that worrying about it is pointless. Besides, connotation is more important than denotation. What something technically means doesn't matter. What it means to people is what matters. Language was made to communicate, so just use it that way instead of fussing over technicalities that just make it harder to communicate.

If we can refer to the People's Republic of China as China (ignoring the fact that there is also the Republic of China, I don't see why we can't shorten up our references to the United States as well.