Rate the Unit, Day 62: Stefan

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise. I will not throw your vote out if I do not support your opinion. Possible reasons for a tossed vote include: your vote is higher/lower than the vast majority to "balance the score" and failure to justify a radically different score.

Averages:

LYRE!: 0.32

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Kyza: 1.53

Pelleas: 1.85

Astrid: 2.10

Lethe: 2.21

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Sanaki: 3.03

Lucia: 3.06

Danved: 3.11

Mist: 3.11

Rhys: 3.21

Tormod: 3.28

Rolf: 3.36

Brom: 3.56

Ilyana: 3.75

Makalov: 4.00

Nealuchi: 4.41

Tauroneo: 4.50

Geoffery: 4.50

Black Knight: 4.60

Sigrun: 4.71

Maurim: 4.72

Kieran: 4.82

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Ranulf: 5.14

Heather: 5.29

Skrimir: 5.45

Soren: 5.45

Edward: 6.31

Tanith: 6.36

Micaiah: 6.50

Tibarn: 6.59

Calill: 6.59

Boyd: 6.85

Mordecai: 7.17

Gatrie: 7.22

Marcia: 7.31

Naesala: 7.34

Zihark: 7.44

Nephenee: 7.74

Shinon: 7.90

Oscar: 8.11

Elincia: 8.21

Janaff: 8.28

Ulki: 8.32

Leanne: 8.38

Rafiel: 8.45

Mia: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Reyson: 9.07

Ike: 9.28

Titania: 9.76

Haar: 9.91

Poor Pelleas...

Stefan, that guy who literally comes up through the sand.

Pros:

Prepromoted third tier.

Decent base level.

Vague Katti.

Decent bases.

Cons:

Doesnt exist until (more) than halfway through the desert chapter.

Redundant at this point.

Stefan shows up just as unusually as he does in the previous game. Park unit on obscure square and he pops up. Micaiah gets him to join or Lethe and Mordy with transfers. Luckily the area hes in is one that you will probably traverse because rout chapter and theres guys over there. (Stefan is in fact, right in front of that one sniper...) Still, though, is it likely Micaiah will be over there unless you knew about Stefan beforehand? lol!

Anyway enough about his silly recruitment, on to the man himself. Hes a Trueblade and has some decent stats to back it up. But he cant really do much in his joining chapter due to sand and depending on the time you recruit him. He does come with his Vague Katti which is badass, has 50 uses, SS rank, and better than Alondite in some cases despite lack of range. Stefan's recruitment is worth getting that sword for endgame at least. (yeah yeah i know, no "brings x to team" but come on....) However, by this time, you'll probably have at least one Trueblade on yer team. Either Mia, Edward, or Zihark depending on your choices. So Stefan is rendered redundant by default. That and his piss ass availability really works against him in large ways.

1.5/10. He warms the bench nicely.

He's a nice filler unit but not exceptional. His bases and growths are just as good as Path of Radiance, but he joins so late to the point of near uselessness. Trueblades are a nice endgame class and Stefan's strong enough for endgame, but that's because the only chance he'll get to DO anything is in 4-E. His performance is basically the same as any of the swordmasters, except Stefan needs no crown/promotion, doesn't have any innate skills and his affinity is worse than all of the others. There are lots of good swords to use so you could field Stefan as someone to use the Vague Katti/Alondite while another SS rank sword unit gets the other weapon. Out of all the people who join late, I'd say Stefan is top of the beorc along with Volke, but lesser than the laguz royals by a long shot.

2/10. Use him if you need him.

He's basically a premade TB. If you've been raising some, he won't really be inferior, other than having no built up support, and, IIRC, his luck is lower, but otherwise, he's fairly similar to the rest at equal levels. That said, he has all the problems of TBs and is barely around. 3/10 +bias for having awesome hair 4/10

Stefan, the man you go to if you have no Trueblades already for any reason.

Decent filler but comes way too late.. least his bases are nice and he has the Vague Katti, as I mentioned earlier if you need an extra swordsman for endgame this is your unit

4/10 and that's with +1 bias because I think he is cool

Edited by Jedisupersonic

Most people who don't go on the internet won't get him anyway, but for those that do, he is a good filler, and has some decent bases, plus Vague Katti.

4/10 with +1bias for being branded = 5/10

Stefan...

So much wasted potential, IS were clearing willing to work his way into the plot but I guess things just didn't work. He's your stock Trueblade, and he ends up being fairly decent in combat. Unfortunately his availability is ass, and if you ended up properly raising any of the other trueblades(save Lucia I guess), then they're almost guaranteed to be better than him. If you're not using any Trueblades, then I guess he's there for you to use, but he's only usable in endgame after the desert chapter, (7ish chapters max) and he's outdone by your cast of allstars.

3/10-0.5 for having so much wasted potential. He depresses me.

2.5/10

He's about as good(or better since he's pretty close to cap and Trueblades aren't going to be your highest level units depending on the playstyle) as your other Trueblades when you get him. No investment at all required is pretty good considering the other 4 all really want a significant amount of resources in one form or another.

4/10

Edited by arvilino

Poor Stefan, he was so great in Radiance. In this game he comes at nearly the end of game, and while his stats are pretty good for no investment, there's not much reason to use him. He's not very durable, but being able to use Vague off the bat gives him pretty good offense. I really like Stefan but he really doesn't stand out in Radiant, he's there if you need a good to go unit, but that's all there really is for him. His availability (pretty much only 4-E) doesn't help him much either.

3.5 rating +1 bias = 4.5

Edited by Davinatorman

Was Pelleas even up for like a day?

Anyway, Stefan is good filler, but he's unfun to recruit. He is usable from the get go, and is OK for endgame, certainly past the magical speed cap number.

2.5/10

Was Pelleas even up for like a day?

Yes it was. Take a look at the timestamps for the two threads if you don't believe me

Hey, thanks for posting this. :]

Stefan is pretty much filler at this point in the game. He lacks the uber-ness of the royals, and is statistically inferior to a trained Eddie/Zihark/Mia. He's alright in drafts if the other Trueblades are gone. But providing you've already got another Trueblade, he's more or less irrelevant.

2.5/10

Edited by Lucina

At first glance Stefan is a decent enough unit in case your regulars have died somehow. However he appears at the end of his chapter and by the time he's available again you get a buttload of Royal laguz and two utility dragons. Not so good anymore now is he?

(Heaven affinity sux)

At least he brings his sword.

2/10

He's great if you absolutely, positively wanted someone to spam Astra, and couldn't be bothered to raise Edward, Mia, Zihark, and Lucia. His affinity's terrible, and good luck getting him to even use said affinity. Still cute, though.

2.5/10 (bias for being sexy)

Probably the best last minute filler you gets, not saying much, but Stefan is pretty solid considering how little investment you need for him.

Also, Dat hair.

4/10 Bias included of course.

Other than Edward, likely the best trueblade statistically, with good weapon ranks and bases, and he comes with the vague katti. The problem is that he's hard to recruit and is nearly useless on the chapter he joins because almost all of the enemies to face in his little section of the map will have to be dead to recruit him without Micaiah dying, and he can't move much to kill too many other enemies. Thanks to his bases though, he'll be a good endgame filler. +.5 bias for being cool 3.5/10