Rate the Unit: Day 65 - Volke

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise. I will not throw your vote out if I do not support your opinion. Possible reasons for a tossed vote include: your vote is higher/lower than the vast majority to "balance the score" and failure to justify a radically different score.

Averages:

LYRE!: 0.32

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Kyza: 1.53

Pelleas: 1.85

Astrid: 2.10

Lethe: 2.21

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Sanaki: 3.03

Lucia: 3.06

Danved: 3.11

Mist: 3.11

Stefan: 3.14

Rhys: 3.21

Tormod: 3.28

Rolf: 3.36

Brom: 3.56

Ilyana: 3.75

Makalov: 4.00

Nealuchi: 4.41

Tauroneo: 4.50

Geoffery: 4.50

Black Knight: 4.60

Sigrun: 4.71

Maurim: 4.72

Kieran: 4.82

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Ranulf: 5.14

Heather: 5.29

Skrimir: 5.45

Soren: 5.45

Edward: 6.31

Tanith: 6.36

Micaiah: 6.50

Tibarn: 6.59

Calill: 6.59

Boyd: 6.85

Mordecai: 7.17

Gatrie: 7.22

Marcia: 7.31

Naesala: 7.34

Zihark: 7.44

Nephenee: 7.74

Shinon: 7.90

Oscar: 8.11

Elincia: 8.21

Janaff: 8.28

Ulki: 8.32

Leanne: 8.38

Rafiel: 8.45

Mia: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Reyson: 9.07

Ike: 9.28

Titania: 9.76

Haar: 9.91

Oliver: 384618.6

I know this is Lucina's thing but he's taking too long .-. He can tally Bastion I suppose.

Edited by Starwave

I was only behind by one hour. >.<

Anyways, endgame filler at best. Bases rock, and his growths aren't too bad. He can reach most of his caps, bar magic. Knives suck, because they aren't very durable (forges can't fix uses), and aren't very strong without a forge (even so, Silver Knives are looking at 12 might). Wind affinity sucks, but it's not like he'll actually get a support going with anyone. There's only one chest in the endgame, so it's not like theif utility really matters.

1.5/10

Volke is sort of a buffed up Stefan. He has some nice bases and gets a chapter before Endgame to make them even better. Unfortunately, the Baselard isn't so great, and he competes with lolSothe for it.

4.5/10, with a half point of bias in there because he's way better than those other assholes that join the Hawk Army in part 4.

Edited by OrangeCrush

Volke, the Fireman. Sneaky bastage.

Pros:

Hey look! A good knife user!

Comes with nice swag.

Lethality and Stillness.

Lockpicking utility.

Great bases.

Cons:

Shows up far too late.

Volke...is badass...Like really badass. Hes the best knife user in the game. (i...dunno about Sothe because i never got him to a really high level.) Hes got some badass weapons on him, good skills, and even utility on his side. His bases are great too. Hes rarely getting hit and hes critty as fuck! Like, srsly, he rocks...

Downside? Yeah he shows up at 4-5. CURSES!!!!! Lockpicking utility is more or less, completely unnecessary at this point. Sothe can probably (since it is HM) use those knives anyway. And hes forced in Endgame making Volke redundant. (Despite being an Assassin) Volke CAN help loads in the chapter he joins in by helping take out dragons and pesky cats and junk, but not really necessary unless your Hawk Team is totally in the toilet.

Poor Volke. If he had come much, much, MUCH earlier, he'd srsly rock all the faces. Because of that, yikes....

3.5/10. Because ouch on that availability. 4/10 bias because badass.

Lockpicking utility is more or less, completely unnecessary at this point.

You need to have the Steal skill in order to open chests without a key, and Volke doesn't have that skill in RD... In fact, only Thieves, Rogues and Whispers have the Steal skill (in other words, the only PC's that can steal in this game are Sothe and Heather).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

His combat relies entirely on Lethality activations because knives suck. The Baselard is unbelieveably crappy compared to the other SS rank weapons, even the tomes. If you took him to endgame he is particularly useful against wisps and dragons, IF you're lucky. IF. Theoretically can do better than other endgame filler if the RNG stars align, but fielding him is basically a huge gamble that ultimately would be better served by more reliable units.

2/10

Volke is about as good as Bastian, which is probably one of the biggest insults I can give to a character. Awful availability and straight up outdone by the majority of combat units in endgame, there is no point to using Volke. Lethality is the lamest mastery skill in the game. It's a shame too, since he's a cool but, at the end of the day he's just (popular) trash.

2/10

Bleh. I have used him on NM a couple of times, but not on HM. He can probably kill some of those sages in 4-E-1, and probably kill some armors between crit and lethality in two rounds. He does barely anything afterwards though, with his strength cap and poor weapon choice. I guess he can parity the auras? He fairs decently in 4-5 due to his bases, so if you want to use him at least he'll get to his caps.

1.5/10

Lethality is the lamest mastery skill in the game.

What about Bane?

However, Volke still makes excellent contributions in 4-5, having 43 attack at 1-2 range when equipped with a Peshkatz. Plus, he has an amazing critical rate, having 41% base critical rate (Swordmasters without any weapons and cap skill have 40 base crit). And, he IS usable in Endgame, so if you take him, he's not going to be deadweight. But he exists for all of 2 chapters.

1.5/10 + 1 bias.

Statistically he's pretty good. He has an exclusive class. That class, however, uses Knives. While Volke makes Peskhatz and Baselard look like children's toys, it doesn't help that he isn't really a good Endgame slot when we already have to take Sothe (aka give him all the crappy knives so he doesn't suck totally). He's probably not doing anything when he joins anyway because Tibarn/Haar/Jill are just going to fly up and ORKO Izuka in a few turns.

0.25/10

Edited by Laurence Olivier

What about Bane?

However, Volke still makes excellent contributions in 4-5, having 43 attack at 1-2 range when equipped with a Peshkatz. Plus, he has an amazing critical rate, having 41% base critical rate (Swordmasters without any weapons and cap skill have 40 base crit). And, he IS usable in Endgame, so if you take him, he's not going to be deadweight. But he exists for all of 2 chapters.

1.5/10 + 1 bias.

Excellent? Contributions? I thought we established that 4-5 can be reliably completed in a turn and even then, he's not that useful of a unit. He was cool the first time around on normal mode when you had no idea what you were doing, but he's worthless on following playthroughs (unless you want to grind I guess).

PS: I don't even consider Bane a mastery skill; its more like a punishment from the gods.

Edited by Starwave

Excellent? Contributions? I thought we established that 4-5 can be reliably completed in a turn and even then, he's not that useful of a unit. He was cool the first time around on normal mode when you had no idea what you were doing, but he's worthless on following playthroughs (unless you want to grind I guess).

I still don't care about LTCs, so am not going to complete 4-5 in a turn. And I do spend AGES grinding on that map because I like using Lucia, and this map is great for making her endgame ready. Volke helps weaken the Laguz so that she can get the kill EXP.Although I should probably clarify I meant excellent contributions for me, and yeah, he won't be doing much else ever. Hence, the 2.5 with bias.

EDIT: We have to complete it in under 10 turns for max BEXP right, and not a lower number? I ask because I tend to finish this chapter in 6-8 turns, depending on where Izuka warps to.

Edited by Shotguner159

Great bases and enemies can hardly hit him, but he comes way too late. And knives suck, so...

He's still useful in Endgame, though.

3/10, +1 bias because he's my favorite character. In all of FE. 4/10

Edited by Cereal Bawks

man it's a pity you're several hours late and you rated out of five meaning that the bias accounted for two not to mention that six is downright absurd in the first place