FE5 (blind?) playthrough

Momentai~

I hear it's best to play this game completely blind so you can rage at all of the crap it throws at you. I want to do this, but at the same time I don't want to miss any recruitable characters. Are there any characters that have lolwut recruitment criteria like Stefan in FE9/10 (i.e. it'd be nigh impossible to recruit them unless you have knowledge of them beforehand)?

edit:

Oh ya, and are there any translation patches that have english text status screens?

rmXxq.png

I'm not sure about all of the numbers in the upper right corner. I can identify hit percent, attack power, range, and avoid, but what does the 2 represent?

edit again: OH, the two is critical rate. Never mind. Ignore my ramblings...

R8XJs.png

I don't understand most of this nonsense. I can identify mov, but I don't know what the rest of them are. xP

Edited by Momentai~

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha Manster

Hahaha Misha

Hahaha Xavier

Really, good luck playing this blind.

Also, that lone star in leaf's personal data is a movement star, that gives him a 5% chance to move again after performing an action (only once per turn).

The empty spot above it should be leadership stars (which give 3% to both hit and avoid each), but leaf has none right now.

And leaf's lone skill is, in essence, Adept from FE9/10.

Edited by Xinnidy

There's a couple of ridiculous-to-recruit characters aside from the infamous chapter 18 one:

If you choose to take the A Route (you'll go there if you follow Dorias' advice in chapter 15), there's one character in chapter 16A who requires one of your party members to be dead before he can be recruited, however no story reason is given for this so you should look it up if you plan on choosing between them.

In chapter 17A, there's another kind of stupid recruitment that you probably won't be able to figure out on your own.

If you end up taking the alternate route instead, there's nothing to worry about, though.

Edited by Silvercrow

If you end up taking the alternate route instead, there's nothing to worry about, though.

There's a bothersome gimmick to worry in one of the alternate route's chapters, though.

And recruiting one character isn't all that obvious. Still relatively easier than the other route for a first time though.

There's a bothersome gimmick to worry in one of the alternate route's chapters, though.

And recruiting one character isn't all that obvious. Still relatively easier than the other route for a first time though.

Yea imo the B route has more annoying stuff to deal with in general, but in terms of recruiting everyone it's fairly straightforward.

Yea imo the B route has more annoying stuff to deal with in general, but in terms of recruiting everyone it's fairly straightforward.

Really? Even the guy that needs to be captured? Or the other guy that needs to be captured?

No one in B route needs to be captured.

Are you thinking of chapter 12/12x?

I thought he was saying nobody else in the whole game is that hard to guess how to recruit. Like, even in 2x and 12.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I thought he was saying nobody else in the whole game is that hard to guess how to recruit. Like, even in 2x and 12.

Well, in 2x August flat out tells you that you should capture him alive.

I did forget about 12, though.

But yea I was talking about the recruitable guys in B route. They're all just straight up conversation recruitments.

Edited by Silvercrow

The tips are much appreciated, people~

Here's chapter 1:

7wx4X.png

FinxLachesis is canon <3

Which means that LTC isn't canon

87ec3a2518be4f37b8bb6e2.png

The light sword is pretty nice. I don't know why it gives a +10 luck bonus, but who's complaining? I'm guessing this game doesn't have weapon repairing like FE4, so I'll switch to the other sword to conserve uses.

mXaTl.png

Nice, trading is back. Help must be rescue...

fddb2506c091482da90fc79.png

Yup

357556f750e64121a9375f3.png

53 evade and 28 critical rate this early in the game? Wow.

1cc7d0b79001408a8d10282.png

Probably going to regret this.

1ea7ad69361c46dfbd80482.png

No problem, I'll patch that up with a *checks inventory*...

Um, you'll be alright. Walk it off Leaf.

ac86e66f2d2647dd87a7ced.png89300fdc2ef44a0fbdbafab.png

Alright, let's test this out.

833eb9f2b6fe4910a850167.png09bdd2cb7d0b4c95a8cc2c8.png

Yay my first capture~

And my first vulnerary~

lol, this seems so wicked

And I am a wicked person, so I will try to do this whenever possible.

9d2998dca629424cbfb63d5.png

That didn't go so well

a1665d161d3444d9ba0c979.png

And neither did that! I like that he still got 10 exp just for being in battle even though neither of his hits connected.

VJPbs.png

My first recruits <3

f254fc0102b44567b60b394.png

Is this some kind of joke? Why does this guy have so much critical, evasion, and hit with skill and speed at 0? This game makes no sense. I don't think I've even seen civilians with 0 skill and speed.

ZFMsO.png

That's a mouthful

gjVq0.png

killer axe with 1-2 range? wow, the units are already looking broken.

1ffbe231c43f49d5b447d4a.png

The first level of the game! Skill, luck, and build. A growth rate for con? I like.

71f998b38f864c61b2ef39a.png

The enemy dodged the first hit, but was killed by a critical on the second~

P21jO.png

I don't understand. The woman said magic ring. Did she mean it raises magic or that it has magical properties? Well, I'll just dump it on Leaf and see what happens.

4aeb21ffb31d436ca25b3da.pngf7a3a07dd6854c22931f609.png

oic

lfI6n.png

A music note appeared over his head and he got to move again. Dagda is his own bard.

g8Gkc.png

HP, skill, speed

bc1fa27605c44e2d8334a33.png

It's like having a free armory~

bp990.png

He's in range, how convenient.

RBjDs.png

A brave axe from a strange old lady? Sounds familiar~

Y09XK.png

I like that the best weapons have more uses than the basic ones. I hope this trend continues.

433d44a5f9b040d2a45dc9b.png

Almost forgot this.

EqXKg.png

And done! Only two level ups... I think I abused my higher level units too much. They're the only ones who can capture RELIABLY. Everyone is pretty well stocked, so I hope the units that cannot capture will get more levels next chapter. This chapter wasn't bad at all! I had a few 90 hit rates miss, but hey, single rn system I guess.

Yay, units don't need pursuit to double and the critical skill to critical!

Edit: Scratch that, it's probably better not to explain. I will say though, that wrath is pretty godlike in this Fire Emblem, in that it will always ensure a critical hit for the person with it, but only on a pursuit attack. For this reason, Othin (along with personal Pugi), is probably one of, if not the best combat characters in the game.

Edited by Davinatorman

Also, Wrath basically ensures that any character with it will always critical on the second/pursuit attack. For this reason, Othin (with his personal Pugi) is probably one of, if not the best combat character in the game.

If he can get there with his permanent six movement, sure.

leaf's light sword is a vulnerary upon use

That's very useful to know. Thanks!

I'm not even going to ask how using a sword on himself can restore his health.

Edit: Scratch that, it's probably better not to explain. I will say though, that wrath is pretty godlike in this Fire Emblem, in that it will always ensure a critical hit for the person with it, but only on a pursuit attack. For this reason, Othin (along with personal Pugi), is probably one of, if not the best combat characters in the game.

Wow. That explains why Othin criticals so much. Havan also seems to get in quite a few criticals too. Does ambush have any impact on critical rate?

Here's chapter 2 and chapter 2x:

Chapter 2:

a7cdw.png

...Really? I dismounted you so you could get wta, and you still...miss...a...99...hit...rate!? Good show, Fin. It looks like hit caps at 99 for whatever reason and that 99 CAN miss. Well, at least he got a critical on the first hit.

58789100477f4b99a8e8031.png

Magic, skill, defense.

65d326e5e6da48cb805cd42.png

HP, strength, speed.

354bdaececf141feb7d4d95.png

HP, strength, skill

cwKa0.png

Oh, another unit I have to protect on enemy phase? Great.

5803f8f9441f491a8959e42.png

How did he manage to stand on that space? It provides better evasion and defense boosts than a thicket so I'll leave him on it for now.

5619e36ee4c3412f92cab1e.png

7 move unpromoted and continue. Maybe you'll be able to see some action.

xyoX7.png

I should've known they'd move when attacked.

efb7590d4985476995be828.png

He gained HP, str, luck, def, and build. A great level, but he still has all those 0s. How unsightly.

9046288b430c4a7c86c29e9.png

Ah, it looks like all of the stat boosters are referred to as 'magic rings'. I'm not really sure who I should give this to...

9CHqu.png

Strength.

u5wSp.png

HP, str, speed, and luck~

nLzpD.png

HP, str, skill, speed~

DT6t1.png

Magic, speed, luck

rdWNs.png

Everyone spends the turn capturing/killing everything in range before Leaf seizes.

Chapter 2x:

d5adffe5061b4d46bcf806d.pngvigE4.pngc3ef03c8a4084ab19e84201.png

Lifis just can't resist touching clerics without permission.

b22dddb3fb0d4a3da484e74.png

I guess this is where the crap flinging begins.

BdsyK.png

The shops in chapter 1 and chapter 2 didn't have any torches. Where am I supposed to get them from? ;-;

5354cfdd7c534e21b9e05de.png0aTFf.png

I've gotten to move again with this guy 3 turns in a row. It's kinda useless though because I can't send him forward too far ahead for obvious reasons. He can't be faulted for lack of mobility.

Z1qfw.png

HP, strength, luck, defense, and build. Nice.

f2bbce86a0684887b5859bc.png

HP, speed, and build. Decent.

Kj9N4.png

I didn't realize this guy leveled up again because I went away for one enemy phase. He gained HP, speed, luck, defense, and build.

I have no idea what he killed, but he killed a lot of it because he gained over 100 exp.

6c73f36e52944b4182195a8.png

Strength, skill, speed, luck

cd123779cb9f495eb142780.png

I'm sure that's a very nice description, but I still have no idea what this thing is. Is it a hoplon guard/iron rune or a delphi shield?

57821bf8a33f44b9b8fded7.png

Why is he guarding a throne with no weapon?

bdx2Y.png

LOL, no battle? That was easy. I guess it makes sense that there'd be no fight in capturing someone without a weapon.

SxoWA.png

I guess it's time for Mama Eyvel to give Leaf 'the talk'

0a3d8afd8d414103910e699.png

That explains why she didn't even enter combat with him.

8TDDm.pngbbecb653411e461e9c2b2f0.png

>implying leaf is doing any capturing

b7a40d5136634418a1a6c80.png

HP, speed, luck. A pegasus knight pretending to be a fighter, perhaps? Not that I'm complaining.

f0ac0174271d4ed1a00c08d.png

This guy was a pain to capture. I had to chip at him with long range weapons for a bit before going in for the capture with a brave axe. Good thing he doesn't seem to attack on EP even when someone is next to him, or move for that matter.

6dfcae7980ef48a3aa4d047.png

Leaf seizes and ends the chapter.

Those chapters were pretty quick and uneventful. I can only imagine how brutal the game must get to make up for this lull.

Edited by Momentai~

No, but Halvan's PCC is 4, higher than Othin's.

^ to elaborate, every character has an invisible stat called Pursuit Critical Coefficient which is basically a multiplier on their crit rate on their pursuit attack. They range between 0 and 5 and Halvan has a PCC of 4 which is among the highest in the game, so if he double attacks he is pretty likely to crit. Othin's is 3 iirc, also rather high.

The Hezul scroll (and the other scrolls) prevent you from being crit but also change your growth rates while held, giving growths in some stats and taking away from others (sometimes). However they are always a net positive so you should aim to have scrolls on people when they level up.

Chapter 4 is when things get exciting, so you're pretty close.

Edited by Silvercrow

Should've left Shiva alone as now he's unrecruitable even though he's captured and alive.

Last time I played FE5 I did this and Shiva still showed up in ch 7 and was recruitable as usual

Last time I played FE5 I did this and Shiva still showed up in ch 7 and was recruitable as usual

I even let him go once in a draft and he still showed up. You really have to kill him for him to not come back.

Only Galzus doesn't show up if you let him go.

Edited by Dio