SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aether comes with the same problem as daemon, in that the æ ligature is represented by both a and e, despite the fact that its pronuciation in modern english is e. (Its pronunciation in the root language English stole from for that particular word is likely a whole 'nother issue.)

That said, let's keep things calm. It is a fact that mispronouncing words is a good way to make yourself look uneducated. I did it in the past with epitome (which is not eh-pi-tohm oh boy that was embarrassing.)

The Sheik comment was perhaps uncalled for, but if you think somebody is breaking a rule, even if they're a moderator, just quietly report it (or PM a different mod). Accusing anybody of flamebaiting or trolling publicly rarely does anything to move the discussion in a positive direction, as it puts the person on the defensive if the slight was not intended as harshly as it was perceived. If they were actually seeking a rise out of you, well you end up delivering if you don't let it roll off your back like water off a duck.

Edited by Balcerzak

Ana, if you don't want to be an easy target, the best solution is to not be so OVERDEFENSIVE about everything. I've noticed one thing about you, when people point out that you're wrong - as in, not that you have wrong opinions but you are FACTUALLY wrong about something - you have this tendency to shrug it off with "whatever" and just say that what you believe feels more right. Do you know how incredibly irritating this is?

Unless you want to argue that you know everything, you have to accept that there are times when you DON'T know something and when someone corrects you and can provide evidence as to why you're wrong, you can't just run away by saying "whatever, it's my opinion" or "what I believe looks right to me" or "tl;dr". It just makes you look like all you care about is being right and you can't handle being wrong. And you may believe you do not do this, but your actions honestly suggest otherwise, and I think there are people who will agree with me on this.

In other news, Doofina just showed me the Xenoblade medley from Smash U and I'm more hyped for this game now.

EDIT: Eep, sorry Balc, didn't realize you'd posted.

Edited by Sunwoo

lol that's gold. XD

But why do people keep pronouncing Aether like "EETH-er?" Isn't it supposed to be "AY-ther"? The letter combination "ae" is most often pronounced like a long A. "ea" is what's meant to be the long E sound. At least in English. I mean, you have a lot of scientific words that use "ae" and they're all pronounced with the long A sound. And imo, it just plain LOOKS like it should be pronounced that way.

Oh well, I'll always say "AY-ther" regardless. xP

Yo.

Ive been studying other Germanic languages, and yeah, the ae diphthong (or Æ) is pronounced like "ay". However, that is not what is going on in this word. Aether originates in Greek. Its actually a classical deity that basically embodies the air Zeus and frands breathe. The word ether derives from it.

They pronounce it "ee-thr" for a reason. Even Malekith calls it "ether"

Whatever, like I said, I say "Ay-ther" and nothing else. It just looks the most correct to me. Plus I've been saying it that way for the last six years.

While i understand that cuz i do it too sometimes, "ether" isnt wrong and if you are talking about Ike's move, or the macguffin in Thor 2, or the Greek deity, people might be looking at you funny and wondering what you mean. So if someone is like "wat", just say ether.

You're an easy target, nothing more.

I disagree. Some of us actually want to teach her things.

I did it in the past with epitome (which is not eh-pi-tohm oh boy that was embarrassing.)

ive done that once. I know this feel.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Looking through the song list, I'm pretty sure I saw the final battle theme from Bowser's Inside Story (I don't know it's official title, but one of the songs on the list had a "final battle"-ish title and it's source was listed as Bowser's Inside Story, so I don't know what else it would be). And I saw that the Doom Dragon theme from Golden Sun: The Lost Age is back. I still like the Saturos Battle theme from the original Golden Sun more (And its Dark Dawn remix was one of the things Dark Dawn did right), but it's nice that SOMETHING from Golden Sun is in SSB4. Sadly no Unfinished Battle or Satorl Marsh Night music (not that Satorl Marsh's music would really fit Smash Bros., but you could say the same thing about a lot of the songs that did get in), but it's possible that they're unlockable since that was just the starting list. And the Xenoblade Medley sounds awesome, of course. Will probably use it a lot when I make stages.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

EDIT: Eep, sorry Balc, didn't realize you'd posted.

It's cool, near same time posts happen, and yours was pretty constructive, so there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Yo.

Ive been studying other Germanic languages, and yeah, the ae diphthong (or Æ) is pronounced like "ay". However, that is not what is going on in this word. Aether originates in Greek. Its actually a classical deity that basically embodies the air Zeus and frands breathe. The word ether derives from it.

It's not just for aether that this happens, though. Things like mediaeval and archaeology, as well as the previously mentioned daemon. While many are variant spellings that are usually dropped to just an e in modern texts, it isn't always the case, and sometimes in fiction (or otherwise) people will toss the a back in for 'ye olde flavor'. Which makes it really fucking impossible to predict sometimes how a word is supposed to be said, which must drive non-natives up a wall. Sometimes there is simply no way of knowing in advance if you're using the wrong rule of thumb or not. I mean, you might be able to guess based on language of origin (greek vs germanic vs etc.) but sometimes you just have to roll the dice, and if you get them wrong, own up to it and move on for the future. Edited by Balcerzak

Yo.

While i understand that cuz i do it too sometimes, "ether" isnt wrong and if you are talking about Ike's move, or the macguffin in Thor 2, or the Greek deity, people might be looking at you funny and wondering what you mean. So if someone is like "wat", just say ether.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Now I understand better. Like Carter said, you learn something new every day!

And I'm glad you and some other people want to teach me things. I'm open to learning new things all the time. Because it's (usually) fun. Heck, if it wasn't for all the bullying and loneliness I put up with, I'd probably miss school.

Sangyul/Sunwoo, I'll respond to your post in a PM.

I still wonder how much of the 3DS smashers will migrate to Wii U.

I'm gonna be a bit sad when that day comes.

Is it worth the $400?

Well, it looks well polished. And the features I usually expect in a smash game is on that version of the game.

So definitely getting it once it comes out, despite my earlier doubts.

The fact that they had the 3DS version pretty much be "hey you get a taste of it, but it's not the full thing. Better buy a Wii U and the game, haha."

I really like Smash Run myself, and Smash Tour DOES kind of look eh. But I thought the same about Smash Run at first and I really enjoy it now. So I'm definitely going to give Smash Tour a shot.

I did it in the past with epitome (which is not eh-pi-tohm oh boy that was embarrassing.)

...That's not how it's pronounced? Thanks. Good thing I never spoke that word.

Seriously, what's wrong with this damn language? The pronounciation couldn't be less intuitive.

I could also go on about how they never pick good Pokemon music (why isn't gen 1 champion theme not a thing in Smash Bros?) but meh, I like the soundtrack as a whole, I don't want to sound like I'm bitter.

I'd like the Kanto gym leader theme from the second gen. And Hoenn elite four theme, or Mt. Pyre. I already don't expect much of the Pokémon soundtrack nowadays. The chance that one of the few themes I like gets in Smash is rather slim.

If I'm honest, I sound grumpy anyway when I'm talking about the Smash soundtrack, so I'll just say what I think.

They so need to put in Moonstruck Blossom and Crowned from Kirby as unlockable tracks. It'd be strange if they didn't use some of the newer tracks.

They made good choices with the Xenoblade stuff, there's probably more to choose from but the best is already there.

Seriously though, is Nintendo even aware that there have been more Metroid games since Super Metroid?

Hoping for Rundas, Omega Ridley and Dark Samus boss themes. There is a lot of good Prime music like Phendrana Drifts depths but sadly they won't seem fitting in *sigh* two lava stages. Y U no bring back Frigate Orpheon instead?

I really feel like Metroid is underrepresented in Smash in terms of stage variety and music. Most tracks comes from the early games despite the Prime series having great OSTs and the stage are all lava/acid filled caverns. Metroid has way more diverse environments than that (Skytown, Torvus Bog and Phendrana Drifts would have all been great)

gijfnefoewifweoifowef

I am so dead right now.

And I've never been so happy to be dead.

This medley is amazing!

I'm personally not too much of a fan of the medley. Xenoblade OST is huge(91 tracks total) and has tons of great songs and this medley only has 4 songs 'Gaur Plains', 'Mechanical Rhythm', 'You Will Know Our Names' and 'Confrontation with the Enemy' which are all present as stand-alone tracks in Smash. A medley would have been the perfect occasion to include 'Unfinished Battle', 'Tragic Decision' and the 'Final Boss theme with a spoilerish name'. Also I feel like they massacred 'Confrontation with the Enemy' in the medley. It's one of my favorite tracks in-game but it seems like it's higher pitch than the original and it kinda sounded screechy to me :x

Maybe I'm expecting too much for a game that barely sold outside of Japan, but Xenoblade probably has my favorite OST out of any games I played tongue.gif

Edited by LuxSpes

It's cool, near same time posts happen, and yours was pretty constructive, so there's nothing to be ashamed of.

It's not just for aether that this happens, though. Things like mediaeval and archaeology, as well as the previously mentioned daemon. While many are variant spellings that are usually dropped to just an e in modern texts, it isn't always the case, and sometimes in fiction (or otherwise) people will toss the a back in for 'ye olde flavor'. Which makes it really fucking impossible to predict sometimes how a word is supposed to be said, which must drive non-natives up a wall. Sometimes there is simply no way of knowing in advance if you're using the wrong rule of thumb or not. I mean, you might be able to guess based on language of origin (greek vs germanic vs etc.) but sometimes you just have to roll the dice, and if you get them wrong, own up to it and move on for the future.

Yeah. And it seriously messes with your dome when you are studying other languages that still use those conventions. Its like "blaaaaaaaaaaahhhh."

George R.R. Martin is one of these who put the ae diphthong in A LOT OF THINGS, and it caused some issues with initial pronunciation of stuff in his series. (The pronunciation of Daenerys tends to vary a bit. GRRM claims its more like "Dan-air-ess" but that doesnt really hold up if Aegon is pronounced like "Eggon", which it is. So the show Game of Thrones had to actually make it so Daenerys is pronounced like "Day-ner-ees" for the most part. Its easier to work with when it comes to fantasy names like the GoT example. Daemon always messed me up. Im all "DAYMON YO!"

:U RIP in Piece

...That's not how it's pronounced? Thanks. Good thing I never spoke that word.

Seriously, what's wrong with this damn language? The pronounciation couldn't be less intuitive.

Welcome to English

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Now I understand better. Like Carter said, you learn something new every day!

And I'm glad you and some other people want to teach me things. I'm open to learning new things all the time. Because it's (usually) fun. Heck, if it wasn't for all the bullying and loneliness I put up with, I'd probably miss school.

Sangyul/Sunwoo, I'll respond to your post in a PM.

*thumbs up*

XENOBLADE MEDLEY! ALL OF MY WANT!

You can't teach people who refuse to learn.

I really feel like Metroid is underrepresented in Smash in terms of stage variety and music. Most tracks comes from the early games despite the Prime series having great OSTs and the stage are all lava/acid filled caverns. Metroid has way more diverse environments than that (Skytown, Torvus Bog and Phendrana Drifts would have all been great)

As a DK fan, I know how you feel. Most of the DK stages are jungle-based, even though the games have a wide variety of different environments. And there's still no DK Assist Trophy.

I always thought like said Ay-ther, despite me pronouncing it as Ee-ther myself.

I hope the 3ds audience maintains, because I won't be investing in a WiiU (despite wanting to, because I want the WiiU for exactly no other games atm). However, the boosted audio track sounds nothing short of amazing

I always thought like said Ay-ther, despite me pronouncing it as Ee-ther myself.

I hope the 3ds audience maintains, because I won't be investing in a WiiU (despite wanting to, because I want the WiiU for exactly no other games atm). However, the boosted audio track sounds nothing short of amazing

Hey Elie, you still got me. I dont think ill be getting a Wii U for a while yet. So dont worry! WE WILL HANDHELD SMUSH ALONE WITH SALAD!

HOLY S***

HOLY S***

DID I JUST SEE AN ARENA BATTLE MEDLEY ON THE COLISEUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsqmU3v0hVA

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-bros-3d-u-ost-contest-round-21-smash-tour-windy-pac-land-hijinxs-fd-gaur.340560/page-27#post-16026467

I mean, It's on the wrong stage, but still.

ALSO, MYSTERY OF THE EMBLEM MEDLEY YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Also, there had better damn well be some unlockable Jugdral tracks, Sakurai. The game that invented the weapon triangle deserves better than this.

] :<

Edited by shinpichu

Those are all good stage choices. Pirate Homeworld and Planet Phaaze would make great stages too. (If it must have some sort of liquid hazard just color the lava blue and pretend it's phazon...)

[spoiler=Pirate Homeworld]

Urtraghus.png

[spoiler=Phaaze]

Phaaze_atmo.png