Tropes and Traditions You're Sick Of or Would Like To See More Of

Jotari

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel like we should have a fat slob in an fe cast. a gheb, basically. i swear, these fire emblem cast lists look like the developers tried way too hard to make the playable characters likeable.

because males aren't generally heavier than females, and variety in my video games sucks. and while we're at it, can we stop giving female characters boobs?

I really don't get what you're trying to say, because you're doing it in an awfully roundabout manner. If you could word your thoughts in a way that I could understand better, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Pieloswine

i can't remember if they did this is SD and RD, but in PoR and Awakening, the lord and his group has to help another nation (begnion in PoR with the herons and the entire valm arc in awakening).

i can't remember how it was handled in PoR cause it's been too long (though i vaguely remember sanaki being super bossy) but i feel like they could have done it better in awakening-- the valm arc really didn't have me emotionally invested at all, it was just like, oh, ok, i guess we'll go do that then and put validar on the backburner...

Gender-differentiated caps and statlines don't encourage variety it encourages stereotyping

Instead of characters who just vary by their bases and growths it pushes male and female characters into more rigid stereotypical statlines instead of having male and female characters having a whole combination of assets and flaws in relation to their base class based on individual character

Nobody sensible is saying you shouldn't have female characters that are fast and male characters that are strong just it not be /always/ the case

I mean for an IRL example my friend and I are both martial artists, he's about 5-6 inches taller, but I'm about 5-10lbs heavier and visibly more muscular and have more punching power as well

In FE terms I should have the higher strength stat here

The only requirement to be woman is if you identify as a woman

so you think that each individual character should have their own stat caps suitable for them? sure, but that sounds unnecessary as heck in the developers' point of view. speed is an important as heck stat anyway.

I really don't get what you're trying to say, because you're doing it in an awfully roundabout manner. If you could word your thoughts in a way that I could understand better, I would greatly appreciate it.

males are generally heavier than females, and not having them with the same caps adds variety.

FE:A has the individual cap anyway which I'm cool with so it's not like it's something hard to implement? I like that, and I like the non-gender-differentiated caps in the DS games where caps are the same for everyone in a given class. Bases and growths should be doing the differentiation between the units, while caps merely makes sure the classes are varied enough. It does not need bullshit like gender divisions. Either all or nothing. Don't give me stupid stereotyped crap.

From a developer's point of view doing by-unit-differentiated caps is really nothing. The modifier stuff in FE:A is pretty easy to implement. Shouldn't take more than a few lines of code, really.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

I'd like to add the trope "infinity +1 sword" specifically the one where it shows up so near the end of the game you can't use it. Like fe7. I want that back. Not every single S rank weapon, that was stupid, but just a couple of weapons that just blow everything else out of the water but you can't use it in the main game. Reward for taking out final boss and then you can only use it on post game stuff.

Took the entire game just to get Finn to hit C swords and that wasn't fun, but if say he had a respectable sword rank to start it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Fin has D Swords with 30WEXP...It only takes like 10 combats dismounted to get him to C. I understand that using him dismounted is a pain, but that's more of a problem with the penalty than the weapon ranks.

However for like mostly every other mounted unit I agree with you.

And while we're at it, can we stop giving characters sexist growths/bases? I mean, I think they're on their way to fixing this, but I'm kind of tired of the whole "female units get speed/skill and male units get strength/defense",

Yeah, according to Doctor Shin, males would have better caps in everything, disregarding individual caps. :p

especially in Awakening's Great Lord class because why do male and female Great Lords get different caps when the rest of the classes dont have gender differentiated caps omg

I think in this case it's less because IS is sexist, when it could simply be that IS wanted to differentiate between Lucina and Chrom (note that I said Lucina and Chrom, not between females and males).

Finn also has a sword in his TCG art, so he should be able to use it well

Screw gender-equality in stats, I want gender-equality in fashion! Much as I'm a fan of TINY MINISKIRTS, it's overdone.

Why take the skirts too? Aren't there already enough units in Awakening running around in nothing but their underwear?

Man, I miss the days when the overuse of skirts and high heels was the only thing that I found really irritating.

Edited by BrightBow

I kinda wish the Pegasus Knights wore leg wear that aren't super long boots.

The FE9 and 10 pks had some nice upper body wear but with the usual mini skirt and leg wear.

Also, more helmets in portraits. More helmets everywhere.

I might just be thinking of Sigrun.

And it's been a while.

My memory isn't that good for FE9/10 armor designs.

Edited by Ein

I kinda wish the Pegasus Knights wore leg wear that aren't super long boots.

The FE9 and 10 pks had some nice upper body wear but with the usual mini skirt and leg wear.

Also, more helmets in portraits. More helmets everywhere.

I might just be thinking of Sigrun.

And it's been a while.

My memory isn't that good for FE9/10 armor designs.

That's just the senate voting for the miniskirts so they have something pleasant to look at when the riders fly over them.

so you think that each individual character should have their own stat caps suitable for them? sure, but that sounds unnecessary as heck in the developers' point of view. speed is an important as heck stat anyway.

males are generally heavier than females, and not having them with the same caps adds variety.

I wasn't saying to have them all with the same caps, I'm saying to have different caps that aren't just the standard 'males get more strength/defense and females get more skill/speed'

And also, while that is generally the case, there are plenty of instances in which a individual female is stronger than an individual male, so a little more diversity in the stat choices for the caps would be nice, in my opinion.

---

@Refa: About the differences between Lucina and Chrom, that I can get behind, but they already have different modifiers, did they really need to put different class caps on top of that?

---

@Brightbow/Huck Finn: For the armor, in Awakening specifically, I don't think it's that sexist. I'm assuming you're talking about Nowi, Panne, and Tharja when you refer to people running around in their underwear? Well, I don't know about Nowi, but Panne and Yarne wear the exact same armor, which makes me think that it's a Taguel thing. All the generic male enemy Sorcerers are wearing clothing just as revealing as Tharja. Henry, I assume was of a higher rank and isn't required to wear the regular Dark Mage uniform.

Practicality, however, is another story. Why does nobody wear helmets? (The only playable FE character that wears a helmet that I can think of off the top of my head right now is Nephenee) Why doesn't Sully wear pants? Why are Warriors running around without a shirt? WHY DOES CHROM NOT WEAR A SLEEVE ON HIS RIGHT ARM? The world may never know.

Edited by Pieloswine

I think FE:A's class designs are kinda sexist because battle panties are a thing

Like seriously, miniskirts are bad enough (at least on mounted units) now you go and take the next step of being bad, especially on those same mounted units that would like to not chafe?

But as far as character design goes the dude's just working off what's given to him and tbh I like what he did with Cherche at least in the legwear department, wish he did the same for Sully aka give pants even though it wasn't in the class design

Why doesn't Sully wear pants?

This reminded me of when I was playing Monshou no Nazo. "Why doesn't Marth wear pants?"

Come to think of it, finding someone WITH pants in that game was a small miracle.

"@Refa: About the differences between Lucina and Chrom, that I can get behind, but they already have different modifiers, did they really need to put different class caps on top of that?"

.....Yes

Not like it matters because Great Lord is a terrible class for actual usage, but lolawakeningclasschoice

The idea that however many of the unrealistic things that we let FE and fantasy get away with are all just fine and should be left alone but we just can't have the women be the same statistically as the men, because that'd simply be going beyond the pale, is ridiculous, regardless. And that's before one even gets into how rarely the series portrays either the physical peaks of humanity, of both genders, or the range of physical variety or the tendencies to be found in all kinds of men and women, in any vaguely realistic ways.

And one binary, categorical difference is hardly real "variety" at all. It's one more, where it could be infinite.

Why does nobody wear helmets? (The only playable FE character that wears a helmet that I can think of off the top of my head right now is Nephenee)

Sigrun wears...some kind of defensive head piece. Not sure it could really be called a helmet since it's under her hair for the most part. But Walhart is definitely a proper example of actual helmet usage. I'm sure there are one or two others but yeah...head defense is considered extremely unimportant unless your a faceless mook in the Fire Emblem universe.

I wasn't saying to have them all with the same caps, I'm saying to have different caps that aren't just the standard 'males get more strength/defense and females get more skill/speed'

And also, while that is generally the case, there are plenty of instances in which a individual female is stronger than an individual male, so a little more diversity in the stat choices for the caps would be nice, in my opinion.

Yeah, I was just being an asshat. Although refereencing Shin gives me 100 Shin bucks every time I do it.

wrt to the bolded I agree, was trying not to give the impression that I disagreed, apparently failed whoops

@Refa: About the differences between Lucina and Chrom, that I can get behind, but they already have different modifiers, did they really need to put different class caps on top of that?

Oh...yeah, I forgot about that. I really should play FE13 before I talk about it.

The idea that however many of the unrealistic things that we let FE and fantasy get away with are all just fine and should be left alone but we just can't have the women be the same statistically as the men, because that'd simply be going beyond the pale, is ridiculous, regardless.

Clearly they all need to have better stat caps!

Sigrun wears...some kind of defensive head piece. Not sure it could really be called a helmet since it's under her hair for the most part. But Walhart is definitely a proper example of actual helmet usage. I'm sure there are one or two others but yeah...head defense is considered extremely unimportant unless your a faceless mook in entertainment period.

Fixed. Because that is hardly a FE specific thing. I really don't mind the lack of helmets in PC portraits, since it lets us actually know what they look like, but I would prefer to have them helmeted in-combat when an enemy of the same class would be.

Fixed. Because that is hardly a FE specific thing. I really don't mind the lack of helmets in PC portraits, since it lets us actually know what they look like, but I would prefer to have them helmeted in-combat when an enemy of the same class would be.

OK, I'm pretty sure there's an FE unit that does this, but I can't think of it for the life of m-wait, GBA armor knights! But yeah, they should do that more.

There are actually a lot of helmets in Radiant Dawn and PoR.

Unfortunately, this is mostly the case because a lot of characters are using recolors of the generic models.

Those characters are usually only getting a unique model in the higher classes. Once they get one, they will also take off their helmet.

In PoR, I think there are no knights with an unique model. So they keep their helmet, regardless of class.

The only exception I can recall is Titania.

Edited by BrightBow