[11/10/2013 7:47:03 AM] Abhi: you might be right actually

[11/10/2013 7:47:11 AM] Abhi: especially after shit he said about da bear

[11/10/2013 7:47:15 AM] Abhi: ;-;

[11/10/2013 7:47:20 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: also what kirsche said

[11/10/2013 7:47:29 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: "should have killed bard"

[11/10/2013 7:47:31 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: wifom imo

[11/10/2013 7:47:42 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: no scum benefit in saying that

[11/10/2013 7:47:43 AM] Abhi: yeah kirsche's mafia play horribad

[11/10/2013 7:48:08 AM] Abhi: unfortunately day ended when I saw the thread next so lol

[11/10/2013 7:48:11 AM] Abhi: MISSED MAH CHANCE

[11/10/2013 7:48:36 AM] Abhi: tbh Shin and bearclaw are probs not scum

[11/10/2013 7:51:59 AM] Abhi: what's your scumguess?

[11/10/2013 7:52:04 AM] Abhi: bard/kirsche and?

[11/10/2013 7:52:18 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: dunno

[11/10/2013 7:52:20 AM] Rohan Kulkarni: refa maybe?

Curse you Shin!

okay time to lay something down folks

if there is a confirmed scum, you powerlynch them straight away. don't bother discussing anything else, just lynch them. pushing on anyone else at that point may force claims, which only helps maf. deny mafia information whenever possible.

additional problems include losing game momentum because no one wants to push solid cases on that day because there is confirmed scum, which makes people detach from the game.

...Uh, one idiot of 'Team Britain' wasn't Mafia.

Well, I'm apologising right now. Being modkilled at that point wasn't a guaranteed defeat - Bard's potential bus being an option I mentioned post-death to Eclipse - but it certainly didn't help! And I'll also apologise for thinking Bard was probably lying about being a bus driver. Well done SB, you flew right under my radar, because my last suspicions were Bard and Shin as scum (lynch voting chain).

So, yeah, not the best starting game ever seen. I'm guessing the 'idiot' didn't get lynched/nightkilled because he clearly didn't have a clue? Because I can't see any other reason I survived to D4.

okay time to lay something down folks

if there is a confirmed scum, you powerlynch them straight away. don't bother discussing anything else, just lynch them. pushing on anyone else at that point may force claims, which only helps maf. deny mafia information whenever possible.

additional problems include losing game momentum because no one wants to push solid cases on that day because there is confirmed scum, which makes people detach from the game.

srsly this

A note on vocabulary terms: if you are a Bus Driver, you "drive" your targets. "Bussing" refers to something different. "Bussing" is when scum accuse other scum of being scum, as in throwing them under the bus to make yourself look better.

Edited by Grassbridger

So, yeah, not the best starting game ever seen. I'm guessing the 'idiot' didn't get lynched/nightkilled because he clearly didn't have a clue? Because I can't see any other reason I survived to D4.

there's generally two reasons why you don't get nightkilled:

1) there are better targets, whether it be through role or pro-townness

2) you're a claimed functional vanilla. it's better for mafia to take stabs at other players to get rid of power roles

that all being said, i was utterly confused at the kill order this game so take this with a grain of salt

that all being said, i was utterly confused at the kill order this game so take this with a grain of salt

»Utterly confused

»Scum!Shin

There's you're answer

Edited by The Protown SK

AND IT'S POSTGAME~!

Concept: I wasn't happy with people coasting while a power role did all the work. . .so why not have roles that shut off/turn on after a certain time? This way, vanillas would suddenly be not-useless, and people with roles wouldn't be able to rely on them to do all of the work. The game required an even number of townspeople, which is why it was an 11 player game. The mafia's relative numbers advantage was evened out by a weaker "role cop" and a single-target hijack, with the gravedigger being their unpredictable ace-in-the-hole; the town's roles were slightly more investigative-weighted during the first half and focused on redirection/protection during the second half. The flavor came about because I am a fan of pretty rocks.

Overall thoughts: The GOOD thing is that most of the town roles did nothing interesting, which meant that all scumhunting (that wasn't BBM's role) was done during the day. This game was relatively civil, and I am grateful for that. I randomized EVERYTHING, and it just so happened that the mafia turned out to be European and experienced. The things that need to be improved are activity and tunneling. The former came in spurts, and that's not helpful if you're like me (and can only show up at certain times). The latter led to some pretty ridiculous conclusions being drawn, none of which I felt were helpful to the town (especially rolespec). The last thing is to pay attention to mod announcements!

Player analysis:

kirsche - Lynched D2 (gravedigger/gravedigger)

Dear kirsche,

You hold a Bloodstone. You will stop at nothing to get what you want, as long as you don't have to suffer the consequences of your own actions.

ONCE during the night, you may respond to your role PM with Night X - Mimic PLAYER, followed by the verbage in PLAYER'S role PM. PLAYER must be dead. You will use PLAYER'S role as your own for the night.

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change when a mafia member (besides yourself) dies.

You are allied with the mafia. You win when all threats to the mafia are eliminated.

Got BBM's attention, and died to the most powerful inspect in the game. Effectively took discussion for a day with him, as well. If you're going to push someone, make sure to vote them. . .and that's all I can think of. You've been playing a lot better as of late.

Had kirsche hit his "condition" he would've gotten a second gravedigger shot.

---

Shin - won N4 (vanilla/hijacker)

Dear Shin,

You hold a Cubic Zirconia. You're a con man by trade, so it's no surprise that your stone is a fake diamond.

You are currently a vanilla.

Your stone flickers. Your role will change after a certain number of people fulfill their switch conditions.

You are allied with the mafia. You win when all threats to the mafia are eliminated.

The reason why he wasn't lynched was because he looked slightly less scummy than the other guy (perfectly acceptable until you run out of "other guys"). I think the D4 modkill benefited him the most, as his claim was really wonky (claiming vanilla who became doctor on D3 would've worked. . .or better yet, be the cop claim, and let SB handle the doc one).

---

SB - Won N4 (journalist/vanilla)

Dear SB,

You hold a chunk of Pyrite. You smile bitterly, as your specialty is forgery. Fool's gold fits you well.

During the night, you may respond to your role PM with Night X - Investigate PLAYER. You will learn of all roles that target PLAYER.

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change when four people die.

Kept the hell off of everyone's lynch list, which earns him mafia MVP! I thought his Shin push was a little unnecessary on D2, but eh. No one really did anything serious with it (but be careful, because this could backfire in your face in the future - bussing your teammates should be a semi-last-resort move).

Bard - endgamed N4 (vanilla/driver)

Dear Bard,

You hold a Cordierite. The colors of your stone change color, depending on how you look at it, much like how your disposition changes depending on who you're around.

Your stone flickers. Your role will change if you survive to D3.

You are allied with the town. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

Was the N1 kill, then the mafia felt sorry for him. :P:

Other than the unavoidable time gap, I don't really have a problem with how you did things!

---

Refa - Lynched D3 (vanilla/watcher)

Dear Refa,

You hold a Crystal Quartz. You are not the best at keeping secrets, and this stone is a nifty reflection of that.

Your stone flickers. Your role will change when three members of the town (but not you) have died.

You are allied with the town. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

That D3 was awful, on a lot of accounts. First, don't use rolespec to convince yourself that your scum read is right! scorri could've been a ninja/been town/had someone else do the kill, none of which you can prove! Second, it's natural for reads to change if you get new information - sitting on one person the entire game isn't good town play (unless you're me trying to get a commuter lynched. . .but that wasn't a good strategy when I did it IMO). People may get a bit pointy with you when trying to get you lynched. . .that's how the game is played, so unless that person has a history of being unpleasant outside of the boards, they're probably playing aggressively (so they probably don't mean it as a personal insult). I think you're capable of a lot more, so don't be afraid to practice~!

---

Marth - Killed N2 (vanilla/martyr)

Dear Marth,

You hold a Turquoise. It's a color somewhere between blue and green. Likewise, when you say something, it's usually some shade of the truth.

Your stone flickers. Your role will change when four people (but not you) have died.

Was killed for suspecting Shin. Not much else to say, sadly. Had he gotten his proper power, he would've been a martyr.

---

scorri - Killed N3 (vanilla/jailer-silencer whose target could vote via PM in MYLO/LYLO)

Dear scorri,

You hold a chunk of Obsidian. You're the stereotypical workaholic with no friends, so a black stone is a natural extension of this.

You are currently a vanilla

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change after two mislynches.

Thanks to the mafia, she was in the spotlight for long enough. She got on Refa's case, which ended in rolespec, which is a major waste of time. I caught what could've been spun as a slip, but luckily no one pounced on it. Was killed because Wayward Winds announced that he was out of shots, and because the mafia thought that it would be better to redirect Elieson's action.

This role was originally going to be some sort of "activate on kill", but then I realized that if her role kicked in, town would be in trouble. . .so a death would be the last thing they wanted!

---

BBM - Killed N1 (oracle/vanilla)

Dear BBM,

You hold a chunk of Amber. This stone has held the key to many past mysteries. You, on the other hand, hold on to grudges.

During the night, you may respond to your role PM with Night X - Trap PLAYER. If you die before the next night phase, you will reveal PLAYER's deepest secret (which is their role PM) to everyone.

Because of your role, you may NOT self-vote or claim in-thread. You can, however, encourage people to lynch you (or play your usual town game and get yourself killed by the mafia on N1). :P:

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change after three members of the town (but not you) have died.

The only thing you did wrong, IMO, was trying to meta the mod. I stated in the sign-up thread that everything would be randomized, and it was. I'd stay away from phrases like "Why am I scummy?", as they make you seem too passive (something like "What are your reasons for voting me?" looks better in my eyes, but I also play very aggressively, so YMMV). Your target for the night and your reasoning was spot-on. Oh, and you might want to ease up on the meta. :P:

Town MVP for catching the most scum in this game. :P:

---

Wayward Winds - modkilled D4 (tracker/vanilla)

Dear Wayward Winds,

You hold an Amethyst. Alcohol is an old friend of yours. Is this stone asking you to put down the bottle?

During the night, you may respond to your role PM with Night X - Follow PLAYER. You will keep watch on player (like the good protective stone that you are), and learn who PLAYER visited that night.

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change after a certain number of people fulfill their switch conditions.

You actually did a decent job, until you did something that the mod specifically said not to. Read the mod messages a bit more carefully! As for accusations of being scum. . .welcome to mafia, may I take your order?

---

Wallcrab/Elieson - killed N4 (safeguard/vanilla)

Dear Wallcrab Elieson,

You hold a Peridot. You're a militant atheist, and can't comprehend why you'd need a stone that supposedly drives away evil.

During the night, you may respond to your role PM with Night X - Protect PLAYER. You will stop all NON-KILLING actions on PLAYER.

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change if you survive to D3.

Wallcrab spent a lot of time apologizing for not being around before he subbed out, and gave Elieson a vanilla role.

Wallcrab: Don't say a damn thing when someone announces that their role failed for whatever reason! You don't want to let the game know that you're a power role right as the day begins!

Elieson: I guess you were busy, too. You didn't sub into the best situation, but you didn't get yourself lynched, either, so props to that!

---

Polydeuces - Lynched D1 (hooker/vanilla)

Dear Polydeuces,

You hold a Tourmaline. This stone comes in many colors. You, uh, have a lot of debt with many different credit companies.

During the night, you may respond to your role PM with Night X - Stop PLAYER. You will prevent PLAYER from doing their night action (if they have one).

Your stone briefly flares, then flickers. Your role will change after two mislynches.

What little he had was good. . .but the emphasis is on "little". I would've been on your case for voting someone when asked to, as that looks like appeasement (huge scumtell in my books). Rather than focusing on 1-2 people, try to get as many leads as possible. Get on people's case. And if you're around, do claim before going down. You were one of the town's protective roles!

Mafia MVP: SB

Town MVP: BBM

ISO MVP: Elieson

Unluckiest MVP: kirsche

Luckiest MVP: Shin, because that D4 modkill saved him, IMO

You actually did a decent job, until you did something that the mod specifically said not to. Read the mod messages a bit more carefully! As for accusations of being scum. . .welcome to mafia, may I take your order?

...Considering I was confused as anything most of the way through, that's a surprising analysis. The confusion was starting to clear up on D4... then I got myself executed.

Memo to self- lessons to learn:

1) Don't claim the moment I'm out of shots - I've got a sneaky suspicion that was a major contributing cause of the disastrous Refa/Scorri duel of D3.

2) Wonder more on why someone keeps criticising me yet never once throws their vote my way.

3) Do RVS properly, ie; keep that 'logic' out of it. That bumble did get proper discussion jump started at least, but 'stoopid no0b' only works once!

4) Don't even take chances regarding the rules!!!

...And a load of other stuff. Regardless though, I'm going to limit myself to lurk-watching Mafia for at least a couple of months.

1) Don't claim the moment I'm out of shots - I've got a sneaky suspicion that was a major contributing cause of the disastrous Refa/Scorri duel of D3.

claiming once you're out of shots isn't always a bad thing; it's probably better that you got your results out there just in case you were nightkilled before you could claim

3) Do RVS properly, ie; keep that 'logic' out of it. That bumble did get proper discussion jump started at least, but 'stoopid no0b' only works once!

You should have a look at my quicktopic that I posted (here, for reference), to which I used incredibly flimsy logic during rvs to try and piece together potential teams/not teams. granted, my reads sucked, but still

also echoing kirsche's post above, you just gotta keep playing, observing only goes so far, unless you're like me and try and read people without any knowledge at all about alignments. that said, I've played quite a bit so I can make more from not being able to interact with the other players

Edited by Manix

...The two months thing is more 'how long 'till Xmas holidays' than 'how long will it take to properly learn the game'. I mentioned university a couple of times through the game; frankly, with assignments being lumped on me from every which way, Mafia's too much of a distraction. I could follow the 'one post a day' route, but even then it creeps too much into my thoughts over the day. Plus I'd miss all the important developments.

So yeah, I'll probably try to sign up again, but only once uni isn't competing for my time.