Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 1: Three Days

SB.

In the grand scheme of things, Vale cared mostly about his pay and being alive to receive it--so the prospect of facing a mysterious cult known only to them by the monsters they fought and the word of a woman they barely knew made him uneasy. He stood up from where he sat and found an unoccupied table a short distance down. He counted his options on his fingers. Some thoughts occurred to him: Wouldn't anything be better than his previous occupation of wandering like a beggar? And if these people really did bring the monsters with them, what would these madmen try in the future? Gods? Was this worth being concerned about?

He stood again and returned to where they had been gathered. He spoke firmly. "As much as this whole 'enigmatic cult' thing makes me nervous, I have a weird instinct telling me that this is going to be important somehow in the long run, so I'd take care of it ahead of time. I guess," he added the last two words heavily, rubbing the side of his head while he did so. He thought about Sheikah's hair-twirling from a few moments ago and the momentary seriousness of his thoughts almost instantly left him.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diana heard Sheikah speak, but cared more about the cards in front of her. She gave the options some thought while continuing to play.

"Honestly... I don't mind either way. I'll still stick around and help out, regardless of the choice." She eventually replied. She glanced back down at her hand of cards. Just a little more...

Sheikah listened to each of their cases on which job they should take, glaring at Declan as he exited rather than answer her. I'm gonna need to talk with him about his attitude some day... She similarly scowled as Artemis dismissed the war as meaningless, but kept her silence once more. "Well, you mostly seem to be sympathetic with Nora's cause. I'd like to hear from the rest of you, too, though. Any sort of objections you have, you'd better say now, because if you complain later it's your own fault for not speaking up for yourself! Declan can't complain either if he thought he was too important for this decision, which he's not."

That one talk a lot of words. Apparently she demon boss.

Ivan not understand all the speaking. Ivan want to contribution regardless.

"Er, Ivan go where group go! Is okay, Ivan can handle!"

Ivan smirk. Ivan fit in just fine.

Edited by Tryhard

Lugos listened intently to what Sheikah had to say about their choices, coming to the conclusion that helping Nora was the preferred option like most of the other mercs, though his reasons weren't as honorable or well founded. He simply wanted to avoid all out war with his homeland as long as possible, even if when he signed up it was pretty clear that'd he be fighting against Angala. "I say we help Nora. I doubt Dervas needs us more than she does and this seems like it'd actually feel like we were contributing to something more than a death toll."

Taima shrugged. "Doesn't matter to me. Seems like most people want to help her out, so lets do that. Seems fine." Laying down some cards, she grinned. "There we go, that's starting to look like a good hand now."

"Looks like you're in luck, Nora," Sheikah mused aloud. "Well, I guess that you guys are all more certain in making decisions like this than I am. With only two unspoken for and some pretty good arguments for it, we'll take your job."

"Thank you for your kindness," Nora spoke, clearly pleased. "I'm sure you will all find the rewards it will bring to your liking. We can talk more about the fine details of it soon, I think. I'm sure you're all tired already, and it's only morning. I have a good deal of information that you might find helpful when combating Regus and those who associate with him."

"Well, I'd certainly hope so. Guess we're putting the war behind us for now, then, but I'm sure we can't ignore it forever." As it should be... She shook her head. "Well, continue on with whatever you want. No more orders for the rest of the day from me, probably. Don't do anything stupid, still. If I have to drag one of you out of here or something it's not going to reflect well on your future! Dismissed." Sheikah turned to her bags and took out the books, quill, and ink from before, while Nora left, presumably for her house.

I'm certain that this isn't how it goes, Peter thought to himself, staring at the pairs and almost-melds in his hand. It's about havin' fun, right? My pride's suffered worse!

Magali nodded as Sheikah's final words decided they were indeed going to fight the monsters. Good, that should be fine... if we can put a stop to them, it might thin the number of monsters here. I hope so.

She glanced around as they were dismissed, considering a glass of something strong after the little drama she went through, but fearing for her image --figures she shouldn't push it after having such a paranoid fit. It was too early, as well. Taking a glass of milk, she glanced at Taima, but noted she was having a game of cards with others from the group. I should probably leave her be for now... I can try to explain later. She sat down at the table she and Melanie were at before and slowly drank her milk, focusing on relaxation for the moment.

Coming back in after hearing everything from outside, Declan nodded. After all, he wasn't in a position to decide anything with this group... he was just here to kill... Nothing else he seemed to be good at, to be honest.

Edited by Mango Sentinel

"Très bien!" Melanie said, at the group's decision. She was quite content to kill monsters and vagabonds, and helping someone out in a, what she felt was similar, situation made her feel quite good about herself. She felt good enough to even talk to Declan! Ben, why would I want to do zat? She thought for a moment, wondering. Eet could not 'urt, eh? I mean, per'aps we juste got off on ze wrong foot. I already said sorry. "'Ello, Declan," she said, approaching the rather unenthused man. "Isn't zis juste bien? We get to 'elp miss Nora and stop zose bandits. Juste anozzer day een ze life of a soldier, non?"

Declan turned his head to Melanie and nodded, sighing. "Yeah, I suppose so... killing all over the place... Ugh, I've got so much on my mind that I don't even know where to begin sorting my head out. Pissing me off... Well, nothing related to you, Melanie, but..." The swordsman trailed off with another sigh. It seemed he'd already lost the bit of motivation he had left to maintain a conversation. Heavy thinking tended to do that to him, sadly.

"Mais, vraiment, but eet is not like we are doing eet for sport, or somesing," she said, wondering why it was worrying him. "We are juste protecting ze people! Zat ees what 'appened today, and ze day before zis one. Zose monstres, and zose bandits, zey were all attacking ze town, donc, we stopped zem. I do not sink zey would 'ave listened to words, and eef we did not kill zem, zey would 'ave killed us." It was a bitter pill, but it was one she'd managed to swallow a while ago. "I guess I juste did not expect you to worry about zat. You seemed very gung 'o about swinging around votre swords."

Declan sighed again - he seemed to be doing that a lot lately - as he ran his hand through his hair. "Well, you kind of lose your moxie when the town guard tries to claim you as one of the aggressors here and inadvertently remind me of what I joined up with the group to try and put behind me..." He replied, referring to his days as a thug back in his hometown.

"Ben, do not take eet personally," she said, punching him lightly in the chest. It was rather ineffective, but she'd seen people do it before to try and cheer others up. "We know you are wis us, donc, eef zey are too stupide to see zat, zen...visser les idiots." She shrugged and smiled. "Put what you can behind you, and focus on what ees in front of you. Ben, not me, but votre futur, I mean." It was rather tough for her to see someone so much older than her be so dispirited. It was probably why she was trying so hard to bring him back up. A bragging Declan was better than a depressed one. Per'aps zat talk wis Magali really did cheer me up. Wis zat and ze décision to 'elp miss Nora, I feel très à la tête!

Declan sighed once more, taking a seat at a nearby table. "I suppose... but still... It's kind of hard when you get something like that happening to you..."

Mel sat with him. "I never said eet was easy. Life ees never easy. But you 'ave to stick eet in ze man! Or, somesing like zat..." Declan's depression was beginning to worry Mel. "Ben, come on, say somesing...braggy. Seeing you like zis, I will admit, eet is not very...ehm... Nice? I do not know ze right word in common, I ah'm sorry. Souriant, would be ze word I would use." She almost put on a bit of a pout.

Vale stood up again. The major decision was made now, and he felt bored. At the back of his mind he knew he had to take care of something sooner or later--that was, he'd have to apologize to Mel at some point. Every time he glanced over at her, she seemed busy, but he figured this would be the optimal time to say something, as once they set off it'd be much more difficult. He started to approach her.

But what would he say? He decided he'd go with something simple, just get it out of the way. He waited for a pause in her conversation with--that was Declan, right? the drunk one?--and then he spoke quickly. "Hey, sorry about earlier. I hope I wasn't too rough or anything, uh, yeah. I was just following orders." He waved at Declan.

"Oh!" Melanie exclaimed, pointing at Vale, "oui, you were ze one 'oo grabbed me in ze battle! Well... You were not very brusque, donc, eet is alright. Probablement, I was een ze way, or somesing." Melanie wasn't upset because he'd ended up being on their side. Had he just been some random bystander, well... "Oh, ehm... Votre nom, what ees it?"

Declan decided not to sigh again - it was getting a bit played out - but he didn't really have a reply for Melanie, even as the new guy approached. Had... he seen him before? During the last battle? Probably not, come to think of it. "Sorry Mel, but I've pretty much lost my bravado for now. And... uh, sorry new guy, but uh... what's your name again?"

"I assume you're asking for my name," Vale said in response to Melanie, then looked at Declan. "I'm Vale Diascia. You might not have seen me back there... I kinda slipped out on my own out of nowhere. I was staying in this town after an unfortunate incident befell my previous employer." He was glad he could more formally introduce himself now.

Edited by Quote

"Franchment, Declan." Even if Mel was attempting to be as nice as Magali, she didn't have as much patience. "I 'ave never seen someone so taken down, for so long, from one instance. I do not know what to say." Mel almost wanted to shrug, but felt that it wouldn't help. She hopped off her chair and looked about. "Ehm, monsieur Vale, per'aps you could 'elp 'im cheer up. I do not sink zat I ah'm ze one 'oo can 'elp 'im maintenant." She left them to talk and plopped into a chair across from Magali. "'Ello, Magali. 'Ow do you feel about 'elping miss Nora? I ah'm très satisfait." She pulled out her flux tome and the one she'd picked up, opening the both on the table to read. "I picked zis up from ze man zat sheikah took to... Ehm, interroger. Eet is not very well written, but ze spell should still work. Juste making sure eet will not explode een mon face, eheheh."

What... kind of accent is that? Vale watched Mel zip away from them before he could say anything. He then turned to Declan, who didn't look any more up for small talk than he was five minutes ago. "Hey," he started, "you... look like you really don't want to be here right now so I'm not gonna force you into a conversation or whatever. Unless you like that sort of thing! In which case..." He laughed at himself. He really had no idea what he was doing.

Declan let out another sigh - then cursed inwardly for doing so - before turning to Vale. "S'got nothing to do with you being here... I've just got a lot of other things on my mind." He replied, as he leaned back a bit more and continued trying to sort out his head.

"Which is why I told you it's okay if you don't want to talk." Vale shrugged. He'd never felt anything like Declan felt, at least not in a long time. "I wasn't assuming me being here was making anything worse. I only didn't know if you'd rather be left alone or not. I don't care either way." He got his apology out of the way. What else could he do in the meantime?