QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

A Dream of Red Mansions, and eh, it wasn't as boring as I thought it was going to be, but it still was pretty boring. I recently bought various Dostoevsky works, which I am excited about reading, especially coming out of a Russian History course this semester.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reread Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, does that count? It was like you'd expect: good.

Edited by Gaia

I read David Mitchell's number9dream a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't too fond of the story, but I thought the swoops and dives in and out of dreams, daydreams, and fantasies were handled fantastically well. I'd never read a book that handled stream of conscious so heavily in a way I was satisfied with; usually it comes across as pedantic, or is outright boring. The book's ending agitated me... as I can only imagine it was supposed to. I can see people claiming it's contrived (I haven't read others' reviews or impressions to confirm), but it actually fit the prevailing themes very well.

I suppose the best way to to put it is I wasn't too fond of the story but I loved the structure enough to sustain me until my burgeoning investment in some of the characters resulted in me specifically putting time aside to read the book faster. Typically I read novels only during bus and train journeys.

I was also just a bit curious about how Mitchell would treat Japanese characters in a Japanese setting given he has at least lived in the country. When it comes to East Asian settings, or many settings beyond the their immediately familiar realms really, most British and American authors draw on ignorant stereotypes and tropes, and their worlds are nothing more than fantastical imaginings borne of cultural depravity (which is of course fine as long as the work isn't trying to pass itself off as remotely representative of another culture). I'm still struggling with placing this particular book, but I suspect I'll give it a pass.

I suppose I should at least write what the book's about. It follows Eiji Miyake, a 19 year old Japanese kid from Kagoshima, trying to find the by all accounts rich father who abandoned him at birth. In the first few chapters he simply prevaricates on making risky, uncertain steps he falls into fantasies about how events could play out before snapping back to reality. He unwittingly ends up getting caught up in events best not caught up in, some of them almost dream-like in absurdity.

I haven't yet decided if I would make a general recommendation of number9dream. It usually take three months for me to decide on recommendations because my brain is dead slow.

I'm sad some people can't remember the last time they read a novel. 8[

Edited by Wist

9/10 of some gaunt's ghosts collection i brought to germany so i'd have something to occupy my time during train rides and shit to conserve ipad battery and nothing occupies time like junky wh40k fiction

9/10 because i got home with about 50 pages to go and never finished them. book's right behind me, too...

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks I've been meaning to get into the Shannara series for awhile now so I went with its prequel, a very engaging read and nice darker fantasy then I usually read.

9/10 of some gaunt's ghosts collection i brought to germany so i'd have something to occupy my time during train rides and shit to conserve ipad battery and nothing occupies time like junky wh40k fiction

9/10 because i got home with about 50 pages to go and never finished them. book's right behind me, too...

wait hang on that wasn't the last fiction book i read - i read a collection of short stories called TANG DYNASTY STORIES about last month. it was quite good.

(seconding i read a lot i've just been librarying nonfiction books recently)

I think the last book I finished was Canticle by R.A. Salvatore. I enjoyed it.

It would be In Sylvan Shadows but I got to the last two chapters and theeen misplaced it so I have no idea where it is right now

Edited by Specta

It's been a long time since I've read anything really substantive, but I just today read most of Tolstoy's short story The Death of Ivan Ilyich. I'm getting the feeling from this I get from a lot of older texts - the writing style just really doesn't work for me, but I'm sure once I finish it I'll appreciate the content and like it a lot more than I do right now.

I heard of but never read Shogun by James Clavell until recently after a friend recommended it to me. It's an amazing book, based around Tokugawa's consolidation of power following the Warring States era. It surrounds an Englishman who is stranded in Japan and gradually finds himself thrust into picking sides in what seems a coming war. They made a miniseries of it decades ago but it doesn't capture the book well at all.

Definitely recommend it!

The last book I read was First Lord's Fury, the final book in the Codex Alera series. What I read of it was quite good, but I stopped reading it halfway through since I hadn't read the preceding books in the series.

My Italian textbook

It is informative for it teaches me ~Italiano~

My math textbook is far less informative because fuck math textbooks with too many words and not enough numbers

There's also Algorithm Design

which is the textbook for one of my previous semester's classes, but it's actually well-written, informative, and entertaining at the same time

so I read it for fun sometimes

A+ book

Last nonfiction I read was probably Theoren Fleury's autobiography, Playing With Fire. Really gave me a lot more insight into the fact that just because someone is a star in their sport that they aren't tortured individuals.