It's Amiibo time

Robinigo

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to get a Fox and a Mewtwo amiibo; I bought those two at GameStop today. But, I haven't seen the amiibo display machine yet to see about the amiibo figurines yet.

Edited by King Marth 64

My Gamestop is pretty much stocked on the Ike, Shulk, Fox, all of the stuff listed a few posts above. I was pretty upset to hear that, seeing as how I just bought an import of Ike on Amazon and it's going to arrive in January.

People aren’t using Amiibo the way Nintendo intended (yet)

“A challenge that we’re facing right now is, our earliest goal for the Amiibo was to have these connected to software and have them enhance the play experience for the consumer, and for other consumers to say ‘I see my friend using this Amiibo with that software and it looks great,’ and again increase that attractiveness of that combination. What we’re seeing instead is that the Amiibo are being picked up more as a collection item at this point, rather than, say, as an interactive item with software. And so we haven’t really established them as an enhancement for all of our software at this point.”

“I think again that challenge is, how can we connect that IP to our software in general, and using the Amiibo to further enhance the play activity will allow us to get more people looking at, they see the Amiibo, they tie it back to the game experience, and then we’re creating a stronger connection with general knowledge of our IP and that fun experience they have.”

“But I do understand that the American market is a very busy, very crowded space. I went to a mall recently and saw all of the different toys that are available and I understand that it’s a crowded field. I do think that we some more room for expansion in the Japanese and European markets as they are not quite as full as the U.S. market at this point.”

Straight from the horse's mouth, presented to TIME magazine.

Thoughts? I don't think there's enough benefit to really /need/ amiibo for anything

Thoughts? I don't think there's enough benefit to really /need/ amiibo for anything

Kind of glad it doesn't right now because if we were to require an amiibo for certain features, it would cause a pretty big uproar. Despite me loving Code Name Steam, the FE units were already at a borderline of affecting the gameplay features considering how much they effect gameplay elements and can making some maps in the game much easier if you have some of these units to begin with whereas someone who doesn't is left in the dust. The thing is, the reason why they are selling well is because they are producing figures of characters that people have been begging merchandise for in a very very long time something that Nintendo is kind of braindead for not knowing that to begin with.

In terms of Japan and Europe, the video game market is much bigger in the Americas and there is much more interest in merchandise here than it is in Japan and Europe in general. America is all about consuming and business is built on consumption in the states which is why merchandises sell well here in NA. I don't know why Nintendo keeps holding this back as importers from America have been snapping up a significant amount of portion of merchandises here than it is back at home. For example, Kid Icarus figmas were shelfwarming in Japan and they thought because there was no interest in instant sellouts, they assume they shouldn't reproduce more. Only that when they sold some in Nintendo World, it was an instant sellout immediately. Now they go for 300 dollars each.

So apparently, I received a Palutena amiibo out of nowhere from Amazon. Package didn't say who it was from, and it was addressed to me specifically.

Idk who sent it to me, but thanks!

You're welcome!

says the sender, who totally wasn't me

Of course. I'd be scared if you knew my address without telling me lol

I get the feeling it may have been my brother who sent it anyhow. He has a habit of sending me gifts unbeknownst to me

EDIT: Found out that it was supposed to be an Xmas gift from my brother....but it came without a gift receipt, therefore my mom thought I ordered it, and she therefore told me to open it.

Edited by Bullwine85

Kimishima's an idiot here. I'm starting to miss Iwata more and more. Amiibo are collectibles AS WELL AS interactive figures. I mean, they're FIGURES. Of course people will want to collect them as well as use them. I foresaw this from the moment they were announced and knew they'd be popular as a result. They just ended up being so popular that not even I anticipated how much they'd sell out.

Edited by Anacybele

I think Kimishima's talking about how he doesn't want people to just buy them and keep them in boxes, and is disappointed that so many Americans buy them just for that sort of purpose; shelved collectibles.

That's what I interpret from what he says at least.

If he were pushing out Nendoroids or w/e they're called, then I'm sure he would feel differently, but amiibo are designed to look cool and provide bonuses to gameplay. You can't possibly ignore the fact that people (me included) prefer to keep them in boxed condition and never open them. That defeats half of the purpose of the interactive figure.

*Edit*

Speaking of which, my Modern Mario just arrived as I was typing this one up. So glad I didn't have to buy a Wii U to get the darn thing

Edited by Elieson

Ohhh. Then I actually do agree with him there. But I don't think there's any way to stop this, really.

Wish I could've gotten the Modern Mario, but nobody here wanted to go to Walmart on Black Friday...

Pretty much agree with Kimishima here. They're essentially peripherals with a fancy exterior. A really fancy exterior.

I have no problem with functionality increasing if stock issues are resolved, which slowly appears to be happening. I can see why some would view this practice as On Disc Day 1 DLC but I've never had a problem with it.

It always pains me to see people post their boxed collections because it looks beyond dumb to me. There's nothing cool about a bunch of boxes on your wall imo.

The only time I don't take my amiibo out of their boxes is when I'm too much of a lazy fuck to do so.

*stares at Blue Yarn Yoshi amiibo*

Okay, funny story about that one. I picked it up so I could give it to a friend for Christmas, but turns out that they got one on their own. So I guess it's mine now, and I've been too much of a lazy fuck to open the box.

I have to keep mine in their boxes. I cant use them yet, because i dont have the reader for the 3DS yet. And i simply dont have the space to have them crowding around. So they hang on the wall whilst in their boxes. Its easier.

I have a full out of box set but do keep an extra set of the Fire Emblem amiibo in box. (Lucina especially, she's signed by Laura Bailey) I have a bunch of friends that keep them in box and I just don't have the space to do that. I get why people do it because they do look pretty nice in the box. But I like using them for what little functionality they have and I'll never be dedicated enough to collect another full set in box. I was happy to see 2 of my friends finally unleash their amiibo now that it's obvious they're not going to be worth anything now that Nintendo is flooding the market with restocks. For a while I was grabbing lots of extras to give to friends as gifts until I learned some of them were keeping them in box with the intent of selling them down the line. Never again.

Well I kinda feel Kimishima. It's those moments where you want something to result in a way and it results in a completely different way. I personally want to collect at least the Fire Emblem ones, hopefully I can get Marth and Ike without major issues with online retailers, Marth is at a really good price, but I don't see Robin or Lucina anywhere (and importing it from US is literally shooting my own foot). There's this dichotomy between collecting them and using them on a game since I'm not playing on the Wii U nowadays due to big time constraints and tv display ded

Well if you don't mind Japanese versions, Play-Asia has Robin and Lucina on sale for 11.99

http://www.play-asia.com/amiibo-super-smash-bros-series-figure-lucina-re-run/13/708q01

http://www.play-asia.com/amiibo-super-smash-bros-series-figure-reflet-re-run/13/708q03

I don't know if it would be much cheaper than importing from America, but it's worth checking out if they'll ship to you!

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get a Splatoon Inkling Boy and Girl from Christmas along with the Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. But, I managed to accidentally got two Inkling Boys from one of my two different relatives and they didn't realized they got the same amiibos from Christmas. I have about 6 amiibos right now.

Edited by King Marth 64

Just got Dr. Mario amiibo from Target and SSB Peach amiibo from Wal-Mart. I managed got the second Inkling Boy amiibo from Christmas returned and traded to the SSB Peach amiibo. I have about 8 amiibos remaining.

Edited by King Marth 64