HM Gonzales

SSJDennis

Why would you even want to use him, HM or NM? He's axelocked with awful skill in a game where hitrates suck. It doesn't really matter which route, he's pretty worthless...

Because that str, hp and spd are beautiful, also theres potential for him to be serviceable against the lance users that show up later on.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E bows is worse since you have no enemy phase. As for the Warriors: Ward has garbage 14 speed (at 20/20 no less) and Lot gets only 2 more skl than gonzo on average. Gonzo also has almost Zeiss tier Str and a good speed growth. And who needs Armads for wyverns with his giant muscles?

And their Ch2 jointime? Does that affect nothing?

why the hell is using Gonzo a problem in NM casual play?

Hell, it's casual. Use whatever you want. It's not some kind of efficiency thing you're doing. :/

Ward and Lott are perfectly useable in HM for casual runs [Well, Ward's going to end up pretty close to Bartre statwise.], and support each other, and plenty of good units. [Alance, Dieck, Thany, Echidna too iirc.]

I don't think Ward's that great even in casual runs; usable in the sense that just about everyone but Yuno is usable, but just bad in general. That base speed and speed growth definitely hamper him for a while.

HM Gonzo might have hit issues but when you're 2HKOing when others are not, or doing so with cheaper weapons, these can be excused. He's not an efficiency monster but he's pretty strongth.

I think the real problem with Gonzales is that he is already kind of obsolete by the time he joins. You'll probably have promoted Lance / Alan by then, you'll get Echidna on the next chapter and you can promote Dieck at the end of Chapter 11 too. Even if we leave Marcus and Zealot out of the competition Gonzales is outclassed pretty solidly right away.

He grows extremely strong in casual runs but he's not an effeicient unit to use.

And their Ch2 jointime? Does that affect nothing?

Lott is decent, but Ward is eh they hit soldiers really good and knights but that's about it.

Gonzo rips Wyverns a new one with almost no effort.

Edited by Jedi

The axe lock comment is interesting. In many FE games, I believe Lance > Axe > Sword > Bow is preferred order of units with respect to being locked to a single weapon.

Swords are the best weapon type in a majority of the FE games.

gaining E bows on promo might as well be gaining nothing at all

i mean i'm not sure if i'd rather gain E swords or E bows, they're both terrible.

Gotta get E swords for Thany so that she can get enough WEXP to use the Armorslayer to kill Murdock!

Gotta get E swords for Thany so that she can get enough WEXP to use the Armorslayer to kill Murdock!

Only the man who suggested I get Finn to Fire Sword rank would say such a thing.

And Murdock is a

cd5c76370a657cab57249f7a3f12e3a4.png

On a serious note; Does Hard Mode feature an enemy speed difference that would more-or-less offset Gonzo's HM Bonuses to Skill?

On a serious note; Does Hard Mode feature an enemy speed difference that would more-or-less offset Gonzo's HM Bonuses to Skill?

yes

it would be a negative change for gonzalez, because luk HM bonuses help avo more than hit and enemies later in the game have more HM bonus levels than gonzalez gets in chapter 10. but it's relatively a net positive because NM gonzalez is much worse compared to alternatives.

Thany would need nearly maxed strength to even 4HKO Murdock. Even Percival's wtf 20 strength with Hard Mode bonuses can't 4HKO Murdock with the Armorslayer.

You'd do it on NM, of course!

Is there ANY other unit in this game that would like those Secret Books better?

We get one in chapter8 already, can't it be spend on Gonzo right away? Also, the chapter3 Halberd will be (finally) off good use.

Last, but not least (I think), can't Gonzo wield the Brave Axe without the loss of AS? In the GBA games the decrease of weapon usage

only applies when it HITS, so missing three out of four hits doesn't seem as bad anymore, seeing that one hit will probably kill the

target.

Who would be his "best" replacement? Geese? Certainly not Ward or Lott. I think Percival will be the second best potential user of Armads?

Would he be able to get to S-axes before we actually need it?

Echidna has the highest Axe rank at base (B Rank) of any recruit-able unit along with Geese, but Geese's bases are horrible (B Rank Axes is pretty much the only notable advantage Geese has over Gonzales). Percival would rather use Durandal over Armads anyway. Speaking of Percival, he's a good candidate for the Secret Books.

EDIT: Wait, no. I'm wrong. Douglas has A Axes at base. But Douglas sucks so Echidna is still a better, and in my opinion the best, choice for an Armads user anyway.

Edited by Carmine Sword

Selling secret books and buying silvers on 17 Sacae is imo better for percy, unless you go Ilia ofc! I managed to get Percy to Armads by dodgetanking about 60 Dracoknights on 21 with axes, which brought him from C to S within one chapter lol. I gave him the Armads because my only other S axes user was Douglas, but if you have a dedicated Axe user, you should use him for Armads and indeed, Percy for Durandal.

Edited by Gradivus.

actually pretty much anyone else in this game would prefer to use a secret book; the more combat that unit typically enters, the better. no one has perfect accuracy in this game against most enemies and of course bosses are universally terrible.

that said, secret books can be exchanged for boots, and boots trump nearly everything else...

Selling secret books and buying silvers on 17 Sacae is imo better for percy, unless you go Ilia ofc! I managed to get Percy to Armads by dodgetanking about 60 Dracoknights on 21 with axes, which brought him from C to S within one chapter lol. I gave him the Armads because my only other S axes user was Douglas, but if you have a dedicated Axe user, you should use him for Armads and indeed, Percy for Durandal.

silvers should like, never be used in this game, much less bought.

Edited by dondon151

actually pretty much anyone else in this game would prefer to use a secret book; the more combat that unit typically enters, the better. no one has perfect accuracy in this game against most enemies and of course bosses are universally terrible.

that said, secret books can be exchanged for boots, and boots trump nearly everything else...

Especially when you hand them to Douglas right? :P

We get one in chapter8 already, can't it be spend on Gonzo right away? Also, the chapter3 Halberd will be (finally) off good use.

Last, but not least (I think), can't Gonzo wield the Brave Axe without the loss of AS? In the GBA games the decrease of weapon usage

only applies when it HITS, so missing three out of four hits doesn't seem as bad anymore, seeing that one hit will probably kill the

target.

Who would be his "best" replacement? Geese? Certainly not Ward or Lott. I think Percival will be the second best potential user of Armads?

Would he be able to get to S-axes before we actually need it?

This IS FE6 we're talking about, so yeah, most characters would like to use it.

What's that supposed to mean? I wouldn't expect someone who's not very accurate to make good use of a rather inaccurate special weapon...

He COULD, but the brave axe is rather useless outside of busting down walls...

It's useless to most units because of it's extremely high 16 Wt. Gonzales can wield it without AS loss after promotion and with only -1 AS before promotion. Its accuracy is low, but relative to other axes it's average. He makes better use of it than pretty much anyone else and considering he's axe-locked there's no harm in him having it... He'd probably prefer a Killer Axe in most scenarios but eh.

It's useless to most units because of it's extremely high 16 Wt. Gonzales can wield it without AS loss after promotion and with only -1 AS before promotion. Its accuracy is low, but relative to other axes it's average. He makes better use of it than pretty much anyone else and considering he's axe-locked there's no harm in him having it... He'd probably prefer a Killer Axe in most scenarios but eh.

Bold: And that's why I said the Brave Axe is rather useless.

Anyways, 55 base hit is too low for me to consider gambling on in a game where hit rates suck like this one.