Least favourite Lord and why?

Luchi

I find Ashnard to be interesting too. He's twisted as hell, sure, but he was also manipulated by Sephiran. When the bomb dropped that Sephiran was behind EVERYTHING, I was like...holy shit, THIS GUY? REALLY? BUT HE SAVED RANULF'S LIFE AT PORT TOHA IN POR! O.o

Sephiran was interesting because of this too.

I also think Ashnard looks kinda badass. I think he wanted to kind of punish the world for its wrongdoings, like the beorc vs laguz conflict.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think Ashnard looks kinda badass. I think he wanted to kind of punish the world for its wrongdoings, like the beorc vs laguz conflict.

Not really. Ashnard was a social darwinist. His vision was a world in which social status mattered not, and the only thing that determined one's worth was power. Once he was king, that probably gave him the tools to actually carry out his insane ideas. I think Ashnard is one of the few "final boss" figures who doesn't have some sob story about why they are the way they are.

Not really. Ashnard was a social darwinist. His vision was a world in which social status mattered not, and the only thing that determined one's worth was power. Once he was king, that probably gave him the tools to actually carry out his insane ideas. I think Ashnard is one of the few "final boss" figures who doesn't have some sob story about why they are the way they are.

In fact his backstory is pretty hardcore, considering he was responsible for the deaths of every noble in front of him and gained power that way. Pretty much shrouded in mystery throughout the entire game, and someone worded it better than I could.

I'm one percent in agreement with all of this. Even Sothe mentioned how Ashnard gave him and the other people of Daein hope that would never have had without him. In RD, Sephiran and Ike were discussing how Zelgius was able to work for him so easily - that Ashnard doesn't care about a person's background or history. He's kind of a careless person, but it doesn't care in favor of power.

I don't think Ashnard is a generic villain at all. He's even the kind of guy in-universe that makes the characters so angry that they can't do a thing about it in an odd way. Ashnard gets what he wants no matter what. He was amused beyond reason at everyone's hatred for him, and he loved it. He not only got the war he wanted, but he watched everyone get worked up about what he'd done, and when he died, it really didn't seem like he was concerned with his own death. Most villains who seem generic to me are the powerful, want to rule everything type who want to live no matter what and secure things under their name. Ashnard was very interesting as a villain, imo, and I wish we knew more about him.

The reason Ashnard didn't want his child in the end was because he wasn't powerful; not because he was part laguz. He wanted a Branded child to top that off, because he wanted the child to be exceedingly powerful. He was a twisted maniac when it came to torture from what I can gather, but that doesn't seem limited to laguz.

In regards to Ike, he most definitely was pleased with his skill and strength. He wanted Ike to reach him, and he even flew straight over to him to meet him personally; to meet the person who had toppled his army left and right and made it all the way to Ashnard himself. Truthfully, if they weren't enemies ready to lop each other's heads off, I feel like Ashnard probably would've invited Ike to join his army. There was a time when he asked how Ike was doing strength wise, and was disappointed (he even said he was disappointed) that Ike wasn't worthy at the time.

He's also got that giddy laugh and acts totally obnoxious about it in the last chapter, and while other characters do that and they get really annoying (did someone say Valtome because), Ashnard just has a presence about him that makes him seem... more intimidating, I guess? As strong as he claims he is? I know people tend to say he's the worst final boss in FE history, but I guess if you're playing on Normal/Easy, that's the case. Fighting him when he uses the Medallion isn't as easy, and he does move around and will most definitely attack you. You can't use most of your units against him, so they end up having to avoid his attack range the entire chapter. Gameplay wise, yeah, he could've used some work, but storyline wise I found him to be a great villain, and one of my preferred favorites as such.

Chrom... for.. well.. in my opinion, he's extremely boring, and I can't stand how he only basically acts on anger 90% of the time. I don't really see how many people like him, at all.. Hell, Lucina is still more relevant to the plot in my opinion, so, uh. Good job.

Honorable mentions go to Eliwood for being extremely boring and uninteresting.

And also to Hector, for being.. more or less a worse Ike characterization wise, with much more brashness and idiocy instead of thinking! And Ike came later! Good job scrubbing up a mistake, IS.

I have to agree with RJW on that one. Lucina only has the class, nothing else. She doesn't give a game over when she dies, she's not a forced unit, etc. Robin/Avatar is more of a lord than she is.

Edited by Anacybele

Ephraim.

He is an unrealistically brilliant Ace who is amazing at nearly everything he does, and his one weak subject (anything to do with books) borders on being an Informed Attribute - he’s such an incredible tactician that you wouldn’t know he’s Book Dumb unless you paid attention to flashbacks. You want to know how great of a tactician he is? He can storm entire castles with a mere three allies like nobody’s business, and he escapes the clutches of Valter, who almost curbstomped Seth at the beginning of the game and can outrun Ephraim’s entire group. He abuses cutscene power to live through the plot, gets away with his Leeroy Jenkins tendencies when he clearly should not be able to power through certain situations, and is unrealistically perfect in every way conceivable. And of course, everyone idolizes him. The only ones who don’t are either villains (and even then, Valter is clearly… excited to fight such a Worthy Opponent) or they’re Innes (who is all but stated to be jealous of how unrealistically perfect Ephraim is). Lyon’s jealousy of Ephraim’s sheer perfection actually caused him the psychological damage that drove him into his position, as revealed in Ephraim’s route. No, seriously. Chrom is hypocritical, but he's funny. Eirika is naive, but she's interesting. Ephraim is just a Gary Stu.

I love how Eph's awesomeness is shown in gameplay form. When you first get play as him in C5x he OHKO's or ORKO's everything on the map besides the boss, lulz.

Another least favourite lord would be Ike from the RD version because he is completely one dimensional in terms of personality, hes a shell of his former PoR self but I have to admit he is definitely ok in the looks department in RD.

Micaiah. I dislike her for being a hypocrite, who blames Ike for what happened to her country while the only thing he did was saving his own country (which is the same thing she's trying to do). This is made even worst by the fact that her country was the one that started the war. Her blind obsession for Daein, a country in which she was mistreated through her whole life also bothers me. To me it seems like she doesn't care at all about anyone who isn't from Daein.

That said, I think she fits the story really well and wouldn't change anything about her. Like, it's not a character I hate for existing, it's a character that I love to hate, and without her the story would be bland. It's just that she's a deeply flawed individual that doesn't have my sympathy.

Edited by Nobody

Micaiah. I dislike her for being a hypocrite, who blames Ike for what happened to her country while the only thing he did was saving his own country (which is the same thing she's trying to do). This is made even worst by the fact that her country was the one that started the war. Her blind obsession for Daein, a country in which she was mistreated through her whole life also bothers me. To me it seems like she doesn't care at all about anyone who isn't from Daein.

That said, I think she fits the story really well and wouldn't change anything about her. Like, it's not a character I hate for existing, it's a character that I love to hate, and without her the story would be bland. It's just that she's a deeply flawed individual that doesn't have my sympathy.

Wow I've never thought of that. She is doing practically the same thing Ike did.

What can I say about Micaiah that hasn't already been said? She's slower than an asthmatic snail with heavy shopping, and has less defence than a soggy paper bag.

So yeah, she sucks harder than a supermassive black hole.

f5PqNhV.jpg

To anyone who calls her a bad unit, I say...

She did 7 damage per attack to auras on Easy.

Yeah it was lame.

He kinda sorta let Daein rot afterward.

And unlike Ike, her actions didn't decimate another country. Yeah, Begnion lost sovereignty over Daein, but that honestly didn't hinder the people of Begnion.

Ike destroyed Daein in the war, but she did not destroy Begnion. I think she's fully justified in her dislike of him in Part I.

Hell, Jeorge (or was it Daniel?) said that Ashnard wasn't really trying to make Crimea's citizen's miserable. Jarod was.

Tbh, saying all he did was save his country isn't great. He did go and conquer Daein before going back to Crimea.

f5PqNhV.jpg

To anyone who calls her a bad unit, I say...

She did 7 damage per attack to auras on Easy.

Yeah it was lame.He kinda sorta let Daein rot afterward.

And unlike Ike, her actions didn't decimate another country. Yeah, Begnion lost sovereignty over Daein, but that honestly didn't hinder the people of Begnion.

Ike destroyed Daein in the war, but she did not destroy Begnion. I think she's fully justified in her dislike of him in Part I.

Hell, Jeorge (or was it Daniel?) said that Ashnard wasn't really trying to make Crimea's citizen's miserable. Jarod was.

Tbh, saying all he did was save his country isn't great. He did go and conquer Daein before going back to Crimea.

To be fair though all Micaiah had to do was get Begnion to leave (in fact that's pretty much all they were capable of doing)

Ike on the other hand had to not only beat Daein but beat Ashnard. As long as Ashnard was around he would of kept going to war with Crimea. Do you really think Ashnard is the type to surrender or abdicate his conquered territories? Sides would Daein really be that much better off with Crimea occupying her?

Not really. There was Beldo in FE5. But Beldo sucks for other reasons. <_>

I'd say Eirika. She's incredibly naive and foolish, and it seems like she always needs someone to look out for her. I could forgive this early on in the story, but Eirika doesn't develop a whole lot over the course of the story.

Eirika's naivety becomes a plot point. Im ok with this because she does learn, but she is also human and has blind spots. The main reason Eirika is wonderful for me is that she keeps her spotlight.

i'd argue that most of people's issues with ike (and micaiah, although i haven't really seen anyone say her yet?) come from the fact that the tellius saga had rather poor writing in general than the characters themselves

wrt actual topic, i'd probably go with roy, for reasons a lot of other people have said; he's basically marth with no other real defining traits

Tellius' poor writing is actually only in one quarter of Radiant Dawn. The last quarter of it. Up until that point, the writing and narrative is superb.

And Ashnard is an amazing villain.

Yes he was. He comes off as ridiculously cartoonish, until after the fact. Once the beans begin to spill about this guy, yer like "hoary shit." Most of it, you dont even find out about until RD and its awesome. The part that gets me on how amazing a villain Ashnard is, is the fact his countrymen did not detest him. Most of Daein is either oddly ambivalent about Ashnard's reign, or they even view him as a decent king. Sothe in PoR hints to this when he tells Ike about how Ashnard would raise people up out of the slums if they were strong enough. The merchant convoy guys in RD go on about how Begnion makes them miss Ashnard almost. That whole "Yeah well, at least the post showed up on time during his tenure." type of attitude. Its fascinating.

Oh look, i tangented. Sorry. Topic: I think Lyn gets the cookie with Chrom following behind her. The reason Lyn upsets me is because she becomes a set piece and a spewer of parrot exposition after her portion of the story. Chrom is just...<.< Well....no offense, Chrom, but your sister is not a model of political greatness that you should admire and/or emulate, thanks.

What? This is all a bunch of garbage. You talk like Ike was the villain. Ike did not destroy Daein and he did not hate the country for what they were doing. He actually tried to HELP some Daein citizens by offering them food and gold, but they spat on him. Yet Ike still says later that he has no quarrel with the Daein people, only Ashnard and his followers. This is another thing I love about Ike. He has a way of getting to people with his kindness and passion. He gained REYSON'S trust of all things and shit. And he and his men closed a floodgate that, if left open, would've destroyed Daein villages. Ike cared about people. Micaiah doesn't seem to care about anything but herself and Daein (and Sothe, I guess).

He also didn't leave Daein to rot, he handed it to Begnion. He didn't want to leave the Daein people high and dry without someone to enforce law and order and someone that could help the poor folks. Ike somehow didn't foresee Begnion treating them like crap though, which does rather surprise me. But I can't EVER believe Ike would just abandon them after he tried to help them during the fighting.

As for Micaiah not destroying Begnion, HELLO, they put her and her country under a fucking BLOODPACT. There was no way she could just try and waltz up to them and defeat them.

Edited by Anacybele

Honestly, I hate how RD tries to revise Daein into some kind of victim nation. Of course there are innocent people in Daein, but I mean they try to give you the impression that Ashnard did everything alone, even though the war crimes go way deeper than one person. Haar and Jill talk about how Daein indoctrinates people into hating laguz/sub-humans and going on hunts. Seems like a really messed up country even before Ashnard.

Also, you don't really hear about altruistic Daein kings like King Ramon or the Apostle.

Edited by Radiant head

Honestly, I hate how RD tries to revise Daein into some kind of victim nation. Of course there are innocent people in Daein, but I mean they try to give you the impression that Ashnard did everything alone, even though the war crimes go way deeper than one person. Haar and Jill talk about how Daein indoctrinates people into hating laguz/sub-humans and going on hunts. Of course Crimea and Begnion have racism issues too, but PoR seems to hint that Daein is the worst of them. It seemed like a really messed up country even before Ashnard came in, with an already rocky relationship with Crimea.

On the contrary, I do believe everyone is indoctrinated to believe this. It is legitimately pretty bad in Begnion too, it's not like Daein is all of a sudden worse.

Also, you don't really hear about altruistic Daein kings like King Ramon or the Apostle.

That has a lot to do with all of them being dead.

In absolute fairness, Ike isn't of royal blood so he didn't really have any personal responsibility to make sure Daein was taken care of after the war. Basically, he's nothing more than a tool for his employer, Elincia, to take back her country. And once his duty, winning back Crimea, was done it was sort of on Elincia and the other nobles of Tellius to figure out what to do with Daein.

EDIT:

Not really. There was Beldo in FE5. But Beldo sucks for other reasons. <_>

Ah, I see. I know next to nothing about FE5, whoops.

Edited by Sunwoo

Micaiah conveniently forgets Daein attacked Crimea first. She blames Ike alone for her country's destruction, not Ashnard, or even Begnion, who provided significant assistance to Crimea in the war.

I could repeat everything about Chrom, so I said the other ones

Marth(FE1) - He basically has no personality. I really disliked a player perspective character in general, so I guess I can put every self inserts here as well. Marth is legit the least written of all of them with his few amounts of dialoguse that amounts to "generic response 101"

Hector - I like his personality, but I hate how he is written in the scenes. I mean, being a nice straightforward big bro is cool and all, but the fact that he and Lyn would kill each other if not for Eliwood is just.... bad

Hector - I like his personality, but I hate how he is written in the scenes. I mean, being a nice straightforward big bro is cool and all, but the fact that he and Lyn would kill each other if not for Eliwood is just.... bad

Yet they oddly enough have the opportunity to achieve A support and marry at the end of the game.