Anyone feel like Kozaki is the perfect Fire Emblem character designer?

HeartTranquil

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, this is one of the few times where a lot of people wouldn't mind "censorship", and I agree; her armor is too stupid to be taken seriously. Is it even fan service if it looks awful?

fix her hair thingy too.

My favourite wyvern rider design's definitely Jills. I don't people find it difficult to believe a character who enjoys showing off skin and takes pride in doing so would refuse to wear armour that makes sense? Or maybe making armour look cool and portrayals personslity is something designers still need to tackle better.

(I'd like to see them do a switch a roo with the male and female armours in IF).

Edited by dap005

I sure hope NoA censors Camilla. I do NOT want to be looking at her ass-crack and underwear the whole time. Cover her boobs more too, please. The way she's wearing whatever the hell she's wearing on them, her nipples should theoretically be showing and it's disgusting. A character can look fanservicy while looking practical and neat. See Petrine.

I'm actually curious to know what's the Japanese fans' general opinion on fan-servicey character designs, or on Camilla's outfit particularly. Do they like it more that way?

Awakening is definitely a bit over-the-top, but I do like it. Honestly, it's hit and miss for me. I like the mage hats and such, but don't like the extra, super bulky generals.

My favorite might still be FE7 overall, but the Tellius games are good too. My ratings probably go something like this:

Good:

FE7~FE9-10~FE13

Okay:

FE8 (Joshua is super cool though)~FE6

Meh:

FE11~FE12

PS-Haven't really seen enough FE14 to classify it overall, but so far I love the East vs. West vibe (especially the East). I also only reviewed games I'm familiar with/have played.

Tellius has the best designs imo too. We really need Senri Kita or an artist like her to design FE characters. She's the reason I draw FE art today, and imitate her style in my character designs. I've taken her style and kind of added my own little spin to it with some new armor and outfit designs.

Since I don't think I've weighed in on it yet in this thread... Senri Kita's work is certainly my favourite as well. Not perfect (her younger female characters sometimes have rather strange-looking eyes) but overall it is outstanding, both the characters themselves and their outfits, and it is a significant of why the Tellius games rank so highly to me.

Tellius has the best designs imo too. We really need Senri Kita or an artist like her to design FE characters. She's the reason I draw FE art today, and imitate her style in my character designs. I've taken her style and kind of added my own little spin to it with some new armor and outfit designs.

I believe I must agree. In spite of my feelings towards Radiant Dawn, I do like the character design.

However, I do like Awakening's design as well, overall. Some armor is stupid, but the characters themselves look very different from each other and most of them have semi-credible hairstyles, barring color obviously, but that holds true for all Fire Emblem games.

Edited by Thane

Looking through the FE:if screenshots on the main SF page, I noticed something.

feif-april052.jpg

Camilla's bottom half is worse than we thought ._.

Perhaps we will see some censoring of Camilla's outfit. I think this happened in Bravely Default right? Tharja's DLC beach scene was censored in Awakening, so it's not an impossibility.

Edited by Leif

Perhaps we will see some censoring of Camilla's outfit. I think this happened in Bravely Default right? Tharja's DLC beach scene was censored in Awakening, so it's not an impossibility.

Awakening's DLC was one image, but Camilla appears in the CG cutscenes so it would take significantly more effort to censor her. Anyway, personally I like Awakening's artstyle, and IF even more (based on what we've seen so far). For one I don't mind fanservicey outfits like Camilla's or Aversa's as long as the character themselves are interesting. Der Langrisser is quite possibly my favorite srpg game ever and Camilla would fit straight in fanservice-wise (Sherry, Imelda and Sonia are even 'worse' actually).

However, I will definitively admit that the "flaps with holes" part is not the most aesthetic piece of clothing. I'd say either going with a full loincloth or getting rid of it entirely would be better. But as mentioned, with her being in CG movies less than 2 months before release I'd be very surprised to see any appearance changes to her (or anyone else for that matter).

Edited by Ayra

I don't know if you guys have been following Kozaki's twitter but he has been drawing some older FE characters for practice. They look so damn good. His Seliph gave me life.

Censoring's prolly gonna look more stupid, tbh (hello Tharja buttcurtain?) and it's a lot of resources to censor, and that's assuming the people doing censoring has any art skills to speak of which considering the Tharja buttcurtain debacle they can't even put it on a separate 3d layer for the effect, I guess not

If Kozaki realises "man what was I doing that looks really stupid" and changes it himself that's one thing, no shame in that, many designer has had at least one moment of "man what was I doing" moments regarding designs, but if that's the design he and IS agreed upon, then if they don't want to change it the official product sold, it shouldn't be censored.

Romhacking's getting more progress anyway. Someone with actual 3d art skills make a revised model and just hack it in

Edited by Thor Odinson

They'll just rate it T for teen and put suggestive themes on the box to cover any liability. I guess they could say partial nudity as well but either way its way easier to do then censoring the game's animations and CG cutscenes.

Eh, technically it still covers more area than a bikini (beach DLC) and it's not like battle panties aren't already an issue in Awakening (see all my gripes about them playing as female Great Knight and Wyvern Lord since I'm forced to look at my Avatar's behind during the grima cutscene)

It's not more risque, just worse juxaposed design elements put together

Edited by Thor Odinson

Eh, technically it still covers more area than a bikini (beach DLC)

lolwut? I can see Camilla's ass crack in that shot of her from behind. I can't see Tharja's in that DLC image.

If she isn't censored, then I hope that cutscene of Camilla from behind only happens if you choose Nohr's path.

Edited by Anacybele

lolwut? I can see Camilla's ass crack in that shot of her from behind. I can't see Tharja's in that DLC image.

If she isn't censored, then I hope that cutscene of Camilla from behind only happens if you choose Nohr's path.

That's her back

on second look I guess it's kinda ambiguous at that size though

But it doesn't stop the fact that it does legitimately cover more skin than a bikini on surface area, and probably does not warrant a change in rating, is the point. Worse things have been published under the same rating.

Look, I 300% agree that the outfit is dumb. I vocally protest about the outfit is dumb. But if it were changed, I don't want it to be censored by NA or something who has proven to be incompetent at censoring. If it gets changed it better be from the original with full consent and input from the original artist(s). I may not like the outfit, but it should be up to the original team what they want to do with their game. If THEY want to change it, that's their freedom.

Edited by Thor Odinson

That's her back

But it doesn't stop the fact that it does legitimately cover more skin than a bikini on surface area, and probably does not warrant a change in rating, is the point. Worse things have been published under the same rating.

The strange thing is there was a Tharja trophy in the most recent SSB that was removed. (Though, Awakening is T and Smash bros E, isn't it?)

The strange thing is there was a Tharja trophy in the most recent SSB that was removed. (Though, Awakening is T and Smash bros E, isn't it?)

Hmm, yeah, that was a thing that I forgot about. Was that another NA thing or was it for all versions? I forgot.

And yeah. Awakening is T and SSB4 is E.

Hmm, yeah, that was a thing that I forgot about. Was that another NA thing or was it for all versions? I forgot.

And yeah. Awakening is T and SSB4 is E.

It was for all versions.

Smash was actually E10+.

That's her back

Look, I 300% agree that the outfit is dumb. I vocally protest about the outfit is dumb. But if it were changed, I don't want it to be censored by NA or something who has proven to be incompetent at censoring. If it gets changed it better be from the original with full consent and input from the original artist(s). I may not like the outfit, but it should be up to the original team what they want to do with their game. If THEY want to change it, that's their freedom.

Then I guess we can agree to disagree. I'll hope it's censored, you can hope it isn't.

And yeah, that Tharja trophy was removed in all versions of Smash.

It was for all versions.

Smash was actually E10+.

Ah, alright.

Tbh I don't know the ratings well so I just saw the E and went lol

Then I guess we can agree to disagree. I'll hope it's censored, you can hope it isn't.

And yeah, that Tharja trophy was removed in all versions of Smash.

I'm more or less just against censorship in general, so

Edited by Thor Odinson