Anyone feel like Kozaki is the perfect Fire Emblem character designer?

HeartTranquil

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To censor such a thing is to show how unbelievably prudish and intolerant the media has become. Its one thing to dislike Camilla's outfit and find it blah. Its quite another to cover it up and pretend it didnt happen. What does this even solve? Nothing at all.

Ooh, I do like how he draws PoR Ike. ^^ RD Ike though, too much resemblance to Priam. I mean, not that Priam is ugly, but RD Ike's face is not a Priam face. xP

As much as I find Camilla's armor hilariously terrible, I really dislike the idea of her being censored. Censoring in general is just blah. I would much rather prefer that they just keep her design if the two options are to see that design or have it be censored. Besides, as it's already been mentioned, if you can reclass her, then just reclass her.

He managed to modernize Sigurd's long face (looks a lot like Chrom) and Seliph's hair. I'd love to see Kozaki draw the FE4 cast just to see the hair.

Completely with you on that.

wrt to Camilla and censorship, no to censorship even though I think the design is just a bad idea. I also don't see the need to censor it as it's not even THAT bad; it just looks dumb.

I'm with Lumi on this. I hate the ridiculous design Camilla has, but I'd rather NOA keep it than do a shitty job of censoring it like they did with the Tharja DLC :/

Oh. *facepalm*

My bad. Still thanks.

Heh, not too shabby I guess, but it's hard to tell without the full body or colored version. And they're hard to differentiate.

You differentiate them by their haircuts, like wtf. And they're strange.

Edited by B.Leu

Eh, technically it still covers more area than a bikini (beach DLC) and it's not like battle panties aren't already an issue in Awakening (see all my gripes about them playing as female Great Knight and Wyvern Lord since I'm forced to look at my Avatar's behind during the grima cutscene)

It's not more risque, just worse juxaposed design elements put together

Dark Knight is terrible for this too (and I imagine Dark Flier wouldn't be too far off, although it does have a skirt-ish thing). Few things ruin the dramatic tension as much as having the camera pointing right at the bottom crack of Robin's battle thong.

And I'd have mixed feelings on any Camilla censorship. On the one hand, I'm not a fan of censorship, especially not half-baked attempts at censorship. On the other hand, them censoring it would at least be some part of Nintendo admitting just how awful that outfit looks. Perhaps not for the right reasons, but maybe some internal friction would get them to put more thought into the designs for a potential FE15.

That guy is a brilliant artist. Always makes me jealous to see people with such talent. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sigurd's modernization--long face, older-looking, somewhat attractive. I don't honestly care so much for Ike's, though. Too...kiddie--a rounded baby face.

Censoring Camilla's outfit would be ridiculous.

We are going to be playing a game in which we, the player, will likely be responsible for what is essentially murder. A game which prominently features death and human suffering. Arguably worse, many of us intend to play a path in which we know the side we fight on in the war will be, at least for a time, morally questionable at best, and we will kill enemy soldiers who oppose us.

By comparison, the level of exposure of Camilla's anatomy should not even be a blip on the radar for things we should be offended by. It's a stupid outfit, we all agree on that, and I've already commented that I personally would be delighted if it is swapped out for something better by the design team, but I think censoring it sends all kind of wrong messages.

Realism has its moments, but its a fantasy world. Go crazy with the character and armor designs!

I like the Awakening designs most for the non-main characters. Default Robin is super boring, and Chrom and Lucina are pretty generic. The rest of the cast is where its at.

@Thor Odinson

That said, there are only few cases of fanservice on his designs that are his doing. Like, pick the entire Awakening cast, the only characters that are blatantly fanservicey and 'stripperific' are Tharja and Aversa. It seems to be the same regarding If, only Camilia falls into that classification, from all the female characters we've seen. So yes, even if I agree with you that in some cases his design choices aren't the best ones, he hits the bull's eye most of the time. I do find him a decent artist, for that matter.

btw, totally unrelated to the thread, but whatever. He seems to like Fire Emblem if he draws the characters spontaneusly.

Edited by Rapier

@Thor Odinson

That said, there are only few cases of fanservice on his designs that are his doing. Like, pick the entire Awakening cast, the only characters that are blatantly fanservicey and 'stripperific' are Tharja and Aversa. It seems to be the same regarding If, only Camilia falls into that classification, from all the female characters we've seen. So yes, even if I agree with you that in some cases his design choices aren't the best ones, he hits the bull's eye most of the time. I do find him a decent artist, for that matter.

btw, totally unrelated to the thread, but whatever. He seems to like Fire Emblem if he draws the characters spontaneusly.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bad artist. In terms of raw technical skill, he's very good and I don't really have much complaints about that save the two left foot mistake. I think, however, that he's an inconsistent designer. To his credit he has improved since FE:A --- Awakening's designs weren't all bad, but not many characters stand out as good and there's some designs while, isn't objectionable in terms of being complete bullshit, didn't feel very aesthetically pleasing or well-put together (I don't mind Olivia's skimpy outfit but I do feel it's kind of a mess, for example, nowhere near as messy as Camilla's bottom half though). This time around Marx stood out positively, and I'm fond of most of the Hoshido cast (though I'm very biased towards east-Asian aesthetic due to my own cultural reasons and I think Kozaki does a better job overall with it). However, being someone who has done art seriously for about 7 years and casually for even longer, I hold professional artists to a very high standard and I am going to be a harsh critic if they do something I expect a professional should not be doing.

After all, this topic isn't "is Kozaki a mostly solid artist". It's "is Kozaki a perfect artist" and if you're gonna get a perfect from me, you better be REALLY fucking good.

That aside I do appreciate his enthusiasm and I enjoy his work on the previous characters. Just because I criticise a man's work doesn't mean I think he's the devil.