Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

I'm fine with weapons having infinite durability. Everything else I don't care about.

Radiant Dawn also had infinite use bronze weapons.

According to the data on the main site, Bronze Axes, Swords, Lances and Bows have 50 uses, Bronze Daggers have 45 uses and Bronze Knives have 30 uses. So I have no idea where you got that from.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hinoka is the eldest sister, Takumi (bow boy) is Ryouma's younger brother.

The class names are all fancified, but Takumi is essentially an Archer, Hinoka is a Pegasus... Warrior, and Sakura is obvious a Miko/Priestess.

Wait, so Hinoka is older than Ryouma?

Is this really going to be the direction Fire Emblem will be taking? Simplifying things more and more until it could be any generic easy RPG?

Until they remove Classic or higher difficulties like Lunatic, FE will continue to potentially be a hard game. Difference is that now the difficulty can be set anywhere, rather than Normal upwards.

Why are people crying over an optional thing? Why are people so scared of options? I bet there's peeps out there who welcome the addition of Phoenix Mode. Makes farming those cheesy support conversations much easier.

If my memory serves me right, there was something about Nohr having limited resources, I thought that amounts to weapon usage as well because this is nothing new, fellas. We had those screenshots with no numbers next to the weapons pop up before. Shouldn't surprise anyone. I just thought those might be from Hoshido? Oh well. It's not the first game to have this. FE2 had infinite weapon durability as well. Worked out anyways, they gotta have some balance fixes up their sleeves to make up for this.

Hoo boy. The elitism is getting incredibly strong up in here.

Allow me to try and debunk this:

Phoenix Mode: There's still the simple fact that it is a choice to play the game in this mode, and the fact that maybe some people want to just go through the story and enjoy themselves that way is perfectly acceptable to those people. Just because a fair chunk of people here want balls-out hard gameplay doesn't mean that everyone in the fanbase does - we're not the only FE fans out there. Besides, we don't know the specifics of the mode; for all we know, this could be a difficulty even more sadistic in nature than Lunatic+, and the constant revival mechanic is thrown is as a mercy mode kind of thing. Wait until we see more about it to pass judgement, and even then, just make it "I'm not playing this mode" because it just comes off as elitist when you criticize the entire game for a completely optional mechanic.

Unlimited Blade Works (I couldn't help it): So... why exactly are we bitching about this, again? Sure, it adds some element of strategy, but really, I've found weapon durability to be nothing more than a mild annoyance in the grand scheme of things in FE games. I'll admit that this is a bit more tricky to determine if this messes with the balancing of the game, but this isn't some trash dev here; IS knows what they're doing, so I'm sure they'll make it work.

Really, this is just more of the same shit that turns people off the fandom as a whole, because SF represents the largest section of the vocal fanbase of the game, and rather than actually try and get new people into the games, people bash everything related to getting newcomers into the series in favour of some sort of weird nostalgia filter that dictates every FE game must be hard, and only real fans can beat them.

So what if some of these new mechanics cater to newbies? Are the elitists here really so scared of having their voices drowned out by newcomers to the series - which, by the way, can only help to get more games in the series that you love so much - that they have to alienate everyone not in their sect of the fandom?

Why are people crying over an optional thing? Why are people so scared of options? I bet there's peeps out there who welcome the addition of Phoenix Mode. Makes farming those cheesy support conversations much easier.

If my memory serves me right, there was something about Nohr having limited resources, I thought that amounts to weapon usage as well because this is nothing new, fellas. We had those screenshots with no numbers next to the weapons pop up before. Shouldn't surprise anyone. I just thought those might be from Hoshido? Oh well. It's not the first game to have this. FE2 had infinite weapon durability as well. Worked out anyways, they gotta have some balance fixes up their sleeves to make up for this.

But Durability is not optional...

Because IS can't properly do this things, that is. In every FE we got something off balance, and with IF this could easily is this.

I'd like to see weapons implemented in a way where they get weaker over time and do less damage as you use them more, in exchange for having unlimited uses.

okay on phoenix and casual mode i want to point something out i that i haven't seen mentioned often,

what happens to your characters doesn't affect the enemies stats at all, you choice of difficulty does however, and from the stats that the enemy has in Normal mode in awakening on casual you most likely will kill some enemies before you can be killed unless your unit can't attack. I have to say i like the idea of Phoenix cause you can play a hypothetical lunatic where every enemy unit can match or be above you in terms of damage they do and stats and have superior numbers and equipment and still nearly every player will be able to find a way to win. So its not just Phoenix easy/normal that exists guys just as Normal/Casual isn't the only option. But even with casual it still is borderline-impossible for a young/inexperienced player to beat or even start lunatic/lunatic+. And i kinda like the idea of casual players being able to experience higher difficulty modes.

On the idea of weapon durability, if they can do it right ill be fine with it but I'm kinda iffy on the subject.

Edited by goodperson707

However, I never played FE in hard difficulties, but Goodperson, what's the sense of chose Lunatic if your units spams when they just die? It's no more difficult.

Edited by ENS

Wait, so Hinoka is older than Ryouma?

Until they remove Classic or higher difficulties like Lunatic, FE will continue to potentially be a hard game. Difference is that now the difficulty can be set anywhere, rather than Normal upwards.

Sorry, I'm using Japanese terminology. It just means of the sisters, she's the oldest. Since the Avatar can be a girl (and thus a sister of Hinoka), this infers that Hinoka is older than the Avatar.

Wait, so that article may be true?

The only thing I really have a problem with is weapon durability being removed entirely. It was a big part of FE, and this is an odd decision to not even make it optional, outright removing it.

Also, I have no issues with the optional-and-not-going-to-effect-classic-players-at-all-so-stop-crying-like-the-world-is-ending Phoenix mode, but I don't understand why the developers decided in the end to make this mode. I'd think Casual was enough... Ah, well, it's no big deal. :P I'll just play Casual as usual.

I'd like to see weapons implemented in a way where they get weaker over time and do less damage as you use them more, in exchange for having unlimited uses.

i can agree with this wholeheartedly. It'd make things much more realistic (for weapons anyway. Idk about tomes)

My feelings:

Phoenix: I really doubt I'll ever play this, but I don't care that it's included.

Unlimited weapons: How this turns out will hugely depend on how well balanced the acquisition of weapons and their power/abilities is.

Durability is a problem?

FE Gaiden seemed to work just fine without it. And Genealogy had repairable weapons.

Not to mention all of the people who do indeed arena abuse and have more than enough funds for pretty much unlimited weapons.

So...uh...yeah. Besides, FE has /never/ been OMG SUPER HARD except some things like Thracia 776 and Binding Blade to a lesser extent. Note that I'm talking default difficulties.

Shoulda called it "Zombie Mode", so that Kamui could be Dark Lord of the Risen. I would totally play an evil Lord character. emoticon_tongue.png

Seriously, though, Phoenix Mode seems a bit excessive, to the point where, I think it jeopardizes having the player learning from mistakes (which is bad, from a designer's perspective). I'd tone it down to a res limit of one unit per turn (selected by the player from a list, rather than any kind of queue system). This adds a tactical decision, while still easing up significantly on the difficulty.

No weapon durability is a little weird. 1~2 range weapons definitely risk becoming even more overpowered than before. If forging is still a thing, it could easily become unbalanced, as well. I'm quite interested to see just what IS thinks will compensate for no durability.

So character build (body) is in? I'm a bit surprised since we actually see Kamui partially in one of the CG cutscenes (The one with the Hoshido Queen(?))... If we include gender + build, that means an unreasonable amount of variation for that movie. My theory is that cg movie is probably just part of the introduction video that would always show gray-haired male build 1 Kamui.

Anyway, regarding the more important things... If they put that Phoenix mode in, I guess it means that they are extremely confident about their story and characters? That mode is basically skipping the strategy part of the game, but it essencially mean that they believe that the game is good enough to go through solely for the story and characters.

Regarding the weapons, I admit I'm pretty iffy at this point, but I'll keep judgement until after I play the game. It is a major change for sure, but it might not necessary be a bad one depending on how the rest of the game is balanced. At the very least, I guess I'll actually get to use the more powerful weapons instead of stashing all of them because I always fear I might need them later..?

Edited by Ayra

Is Classic Mode back, or do I have to get a petition going? The heck with it, a petition is going. INFINITE WEAPONS USAGE AND PHOENIX MODE? It's like feplus predicted in that old Casual thread too... Honestly, say what you will about Casual Mode, Phoenix Mode is dumb.

Intelligent- excuse me, Dumbass Systems had to go ahead and piss on the hype parade with this announcement.

Phoenix mode sounds like a joke mode that that one guy who was claiming and coming up with convoluted arguements for why Lunatic+ is easily cheesible came up with, along with other stuff (are we thinking of the same guy, Deogame?).

Yes, it becomes generic and forgettable.

I'm really more in favor of a diverse market were every person finds what they are looking for as opposed to everyone producing that one thing that is calculated to appeal to the largest group of people while the rest is left in the dust.

I agree that Fire Emblem has started to become very generic and forgettable; what happened to the (comparitively-)realistic character designs? What happened to "Classic mode nearly didn't get in, because permadeath is core to the series"?

Maybe it is. Maybe there's an hidden "For REAL truest FE-Elitists"-Mode.

The wording makes this come off as very condescending. I always find it screwed up and funny that plenty of those people who dislike the older fans (who generalize us as casual-mode haters) often meet us with hate (similiar to that). How many times have I seen "Stop criticising, you filthy person who doesn't like Awakening"? The hypocrisy is just hilarious to see. What is wrong with wanting a game that presents tactical challenge?

bOVBnqZ.png

o1J4Lvt.png

So really, all we have to do is prepare for a shitstorm.

How lovely of you, SoC. At first I really liked you. Now I see the ironic hypocrisy of you flaming and provoking people, while you continuously talk about how toxic most of the fanbase is.

Just needed to get this all out.

Edited by Leon of Nohr

However, I never played FE in hard difficulties, but Goodperson, what's the sense of chose Lunatic if your units spams when they just die? It's no more difficult.

But ENS how is it no more difficult than normal, if your characters die in droves every enemy phase? you still have to beat the enemy units and might have to protect Kaimui in any case, plus if there are any chests or other objectives good luck getting them if you die every turn, and are surrounded by enemies.

Hoo boy. The elitism is getting incredibly strong up in here.

Allow me to try and debunk this:

Phoenix Mode: There's still the simple fact that it is a choice to play the game in this mode, and the fact that maybe some people want to just go through the story and enjoy themselves that way is perfectly acceptable to those people. Just because a fair chunk of people here want balls-out hard gameplay doesn't mean that everyone in the fanbase does - we're not the only FE fans out there. Besides, we don't know the specifics of the mode; for all we know, this could be a difficulty even more sadistic in nature than Lunatic+, and the constant revival mechanic is thrown is as a mercy mode kind of thing. Wait until we see more about it to pass judgement, and even then, just make it "I'm not playing this mode" because it just comes off as elitist when you criticize the entire game for a completely optional mechanic.

Unlimited Blade Works (I couldn't help it): So... why exactly are we bitching about this, again? Sure, it adds some element of strategy, but really, I've found weapon durability to be nothing more than a mild annoyance in the grand scheme of things in FE games. I'll admit that this is a bit more tricky to determine if this messes with the balancing of the game, but this isn't some trash dev here; IS knows what they're doing, so I'm sure they'll make it work.

Really, this is just more of the same shit that turns people off the fandom as a whole, because SF represents the largest section of the vocal fanbase of the game, and rather than actually try and get new people into the games, people bash everything related to getting newcomers into the series in favour of some sort of weird nostalgia filter that dictates every FE game must be hard, and only real fans can beat them.

So what if some of these new mechanics cater to newbies? Are the elitists here really so scared of having their voices drowned out by newcomers to the series - which, by the way, can only help to get more games in the series that you love so much - that they have to alienate everyone not in their sect of the fandom?

A round of applause and a pat on the back for you. Feel better after your little holier than thou rant?

Serious question: are battlesaves still tied to Casual mode? I'd assume they'd be in Loser mode as well. Really, main question: can we select save and permadeath options seperately?

Speaking of binding blade, I hope the maps get larger. The 50 enemy limit in Awakening was a serious drag. I miss the giant maps of the GBA and Gamecube games.

You should play Genealogy of the Holy War. Those are big maps. :3