Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

But ENS how is it no more difficult than normal, if your characters die in droves every enemy phase? you still have to beat the enemy units and might have to protect Kaimui in any case, plus if there are any chests or other objectives good luck getting them if you die every turn, and are surrounded by enemies.

It is the learning, because playing in Classic help you to think and make strategy. If your characters comes back you start to play rashly. I don't care what is the difficoulty of the game, but if you want specifically to play the difficulty, then Classic is the only way.

Edited by ENS

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intelligent- excuse me, Dumbass Systems had to go ahead and piss on the hype parade with this announcement.

Phoenix mode sounds like a joke mode that that one guy who was claiming and coming up with convoluted arguements for why Lunatic+ is easily cheesible came up with, along with other stuff (are we thinking of the same guy, Deogame?).

Yup, same guy!

How lovely of you, SoC. At first I really liked you. Now I see the ironic hypocrisy of you flaming and provoking people, while you continuously talk about how toxic most of the fanbase is.

Just needed to get this all out.

I am human. I have as much potential to make mistakes and be a hypocrite as to be a contributor.

I expect I'll get grilled for this for at least the next year, though.

You should have seen the waifu shit I started in this and other forums years ago.

I pride myself in being the white knight to Casuals as I have friends who have been turned off by the community here even before Awakening's divide happened.

My emotions have, and still to this day have gotten the better of me.

Regardless of my opinions, I was an asshole here today. I apologize for that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Battle saves are something I'd like in classic. Just keep the RNG as rigid as FE4's to prevent abuse.

Awakening saved all the RNs with each battle save, so you couldn't save scum. If they kept that, it should be just fine.

Yup, same guy!

Thanks for the confirmation.

WTF at Phoenix mode. What's the point of that? Normal/casual wasn't easy enough? Idc if my 5 year old cousin couldn't figure it out, FE isn't for children anyway. I'm all for casual mode but this is ridiculous. May as well add a mode where the player can't take damage at all and people would still defend it.

Why not add a Phoenix Staff in casual mode instead that revives units on the same map? At least then you have to actually think to bring the staff and if your healer dies you lose the ability until the next one. This is still supposed to be a strategy RPG right?

Weapon durability being gone is also BS. I see no reason to believe that this will be like Gaiden where there were very few weapons. Still hoping it's an option or at least that their reason for removing it will become apparent.

I am human. I have as much potential to make mistakes and be a hypocrite as to be a contributor.

I expect I'll get grilled for this for at least the next year, though.

You should have seen the waifu shit I started in this and other forums years ago.

Regardless of my opinions, I was an asshole here today. I apologize for that.

Apology accepted, and my own apologies if I came off as a bit harsh; I was just venting frustration. Also, I DID see those threads. I've been lurking off and on for years.

Until they remove Classic or higher difficulties like Lunatic, FE will continue to potentially be a hard game. Difference is that now the difficulty can be set anywhere, rather than Normal upwards.

If a mode that's full of bullshit/IWannnaBeTheGuy difficulty is the only way to mak the game actually challenging then something went horribly wrong.

The wording makes this come off as very condescending. I always find it screwed up and funny that plenty of those people who dislike the older fans (who generalize us as casual-mode haters) often meet us with hate (similiar to that). How many times have I seen "Stop criticising, you filthy person who doesn't like Awakening"? The hypocrisy is just hilarious to see. What is wrong with wanting a game that presents tactical challenge?

I'm a veteran fan myself, fam. Why do my fellow "elitists" take everything so seriously and immediately feel attacked?

You just assume the game won't pose any tactical challenges because of the weapon durability. But you can't really say that until you've played the game, now can you?

You don't have to play Casual or Phoenix, either. Start complaining about those modes when they become mandatory, which they never will.

I'm just gonna say this once, but personally I have zero qualms about Phoenix Mode.

As mentioned, it's an option and Casual/Classic Mode was already confirmed, if you prefer those. OK, perhaps its inclusion could, maybe, possibly be some kind of insult to hardcore players if you twist your mind somehow, but honestly it's not like anybody is forcing you to play it and if it attracts new fans, why not?

Weapon durability, I am genuinely concerned about, but hey it could work. With Armsthrift in Awakening, you basically had near-infinite weapons for half your characters. Plus, as some people commented, it would create incentive to use those rarer, stronger weapons. Maybe these stronger weapons have increased setbacks or are harder to obtain?

Either way, I felt a similar concern when FE12 dropped Weapon Weight and TBH, I hardly even remember it being in the older games. Of course, Weight was nice and added in a layer of complexity, but it wasn't essential once you got your characters rolling.

Not trying to attack anyone; just wanted to share my thoughts : o

Also, there's an interview in the mag as well, which could help explain these design choices.

Really no one is thinking about the fact that IS have the ability to balance something of a 5 year old, and the Phoenix mode could just be an excuse for screw with the stats of the entire game. Perhaps even involountary, eh.

Think about it.

Here's a bigger problem, they once again did not include a maniac mode before Lunatic.

If a mode that's full of bullshit/IWannnaBeTheGuy difficulty is the only way to mak the game actually challenging then something went horribly wrong.

If you consider Lunatic modes BS difficulty, then you are just bad. How many people have gone through these modes with no trouble? Edited by Ownagepuffs

I don't have any objection against Phoenix Mode.... yet, but I still think it's kinda redundant as far as "being more appeal to newcomers" is concerned. I haven't seen anyone say that they were turned off by Casual mode, of all things.

I figured there wouldn't be any weapon durability and it's probably for the best, there are people who still are too afraid to actually use the more powerful weapons and I'd like to see a system more like FE4's where you manage who gets to wield a certain weapon. Like if there's only X amount of Javelins in the whole game rather than as many as you can buy.

But Phoenix mode is quite a surprise it would be interesting to read the Iwata Asks on these games and even more interesting to see what the Nohr campaign is like given they chosen to add this mode along with casual.

Oh wait I mean "Oh no they've added a mode and I'm going to act like I'm forced to use it even though I'm not and a mechanic changed which would effect a different entry in the series some way so I'm assuming nothing else changed even though they clearly have...grrr CASUALS!"

Edited by arvilino

It is the learning, because playing in Classic help you to think and make strategy. If your characters comes back you start to play rashly. I don't care what is the difficoulty of the game, but if you want specifically to play the difficulty, then Classic is the only way.

yes you can start to play rashly but some people just want to play the game. But the thing is what I'm talking about is that Phoenix mode has a point for existing and your point is more about should casual mode exist at all which is a completely different can of worms that i would rather not bring up again. But higher difficulty is its own thing and i like the idea of Phoenix lunatic plus (maybe have even higher difficulty on lunatic if you chose Phoenix) I still will never play casual or Phoenix expect maybe on a possible lunatic + just for lols. Classic player for life, but only my life I wont dictate anyone else's

Bich, you might be. You're more like a cancer.

What the fuck?

Anyway, we have little to no infromation about what exactly is this Phoenix Mode stuff. Someone here said that it could also revive your enemies too, which would be interesting and exploitable as fuck, and I said that your units could revive without any weapons etc.

Besides, it's not something that you'll be forced to play at least I hope so, and those who want something less frustrating or just different will have their way.

I have trouble believing that there are enough people who consider Normal Casual too difficult that they require what is essentially a god mode to beat the game. Rather, this mode is totally geared toward people who just don't give a shit about strategy/balance and are playing purely for the story and characters. In that case, nobody will even complain if their units end up too overpowered; rather, they will be overjoyed by how mercilessly they can shitstomp the opposition. If anything, it can even be beneficial for experienced players who are trying to quickly unlock NewGame+ content or screw around with the game mechanics.

I honestly think the reaction to Phoenix mode from veteran players would be a lot less negative if the resources provided to the player were so over the top OP that even the game doesn't bother to acknowledge it as a legitimate difficulty (at least as a strategy game). I'm talking things like, massive amounts of PoR-style BEXP, unlimited Paragon and Aptitude scrolls, promoted units gaining the same amount of exp as unpromoted units, etc. Hell, even the implication that your units are "rising from the ashes" makes it sound like the game doesn't take it seriously at all. A mode like this can be hilariously fun in its own way.

Edited by Bovinian

yes you can start to play rashly but some people just want to play the game.

> Talk of play on lunatic

What. We are talking about strategy. And we are talking about it because you bring the argument. What is teh sense to play on hard difficulties if you use a mode who can't hallow you to loose? I absolutely don't give a darn about casual, phoenix, Seth Emblem or whatever it is. Don't change argument and answer to me.

What the fuck?

Just read the entire discussion. Also, he added the excuses in his post before mine after a few minutes when I posted. But I doubt he did it for trolling, however.

Edited by ENS

Casual was fine since it still required you to think, but Phoenix sounds like pandering. Unless it comes with some sort of caveat or Nohr's difficulty is above and beyond anything in FE before (which would be interesting), I really can't imagine someone needing Phoenix over Casual. I highly doubt the story is going to be so interesting that someone will want to cheese the actual game to see it unless there are a LOT of alternate endings.

The point of FE is that it's a strategy game. You should have to use at least some element of strategy to win. I can understand IS wanting to expand the fan base, but if you expand it to cover the absolute lowest common denominator there's something wrong. My concern is that IS will take FE into the realm of "generic fantasy game" once they realize that makes them more money.

As for infinite weapon durability the game can easily be built to accommodate that, so I look forward to seeing how it works out.

> Talk of play on lunatic

What. We are talking about strategy. And we are talking about it because you bring the argument. What is teh sense to play on hard difficulties if you use a mode who can't hallow you to loose? I absolutely don't give a darn about casual, phoenix, Seth Emblem or whatever it is. Don't change argument and answer to me.

To be fair the answer is probably for fun and more ways to play. Like wanting to try what a respawning horde of characters against powerful enemies is like.

Personally if some of the older games had it I'd think I'd like to try a run where I use the worst possible set of characters on the hardest mode. Like using Frost, Macellan, Sheema, Dice, etc. on Lunatic Reverse on FE12 rather than a similar set of characters every time.

Edited by arvilino