Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

Well, in some ancient cultures, the exchange of hostages was conducted deliberately to help ensure the peace.

After all, if both sides had members of their own family in the hands of the other's, it would discourage war and conflict due to the possibility of retribution against the hostages.

Not that it would always work, but it could definitely discourage things.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it was hostage exchange.

Well, it was normal for Eastern countries to send children as hostages for... confirmation (We won't attack you, if we'll do something bad, you can kill my son)

Or to show good will (we trust you, so there is my son for some educational purpose)

...Kinda doubt that was 2nd option

Not just eastern countries, it was pretty common in the west and middle east too. Royalty were special and holding one hostage was a good way to ensure a treaty would be upheld.

Yeah, the trailer makes the 2nd option seem unlikely, I mean, Garon pretty much stormed in and took Kamui.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it actually was the second option. Garon just has that evil look about him.

Hmm, I read some info on another site about the Famitsu leak, which isn't from the available scans.

Apparently Aqua is in the reverse situation as the Avatar; she's the princess of Nohr taken prisoner by Hoshido.

To clarify, this hasn't been confirmed yet.

Does it make any sense though? It sounds like an interesting prospect anyway, for multiple reasons. One, Hoshido isn't always doing nice stuff and two, Aqua probably has dragon blood if the Famitsu blurb is accurate.

Also, one of the pages has a super-blurry blurb about Hoshido and Nohr's ties to dragons--in particular, there's a mention of them worshiping some kind of dragon, a Divine Elder Dragon or something. It seems to suggest both of the royal families have dragon blood and *I think* the Avatar might have the blood of both.

But again, the text is super blurry, so take it with a grain of salt.

If both of these are true would that make Aqua your half-sister? That would be interesting.

We can potentially have some Romeo and Juliet shit with Kamui and Aqua.

Btw the reaction of my elitist FE friend to the Phoenix mode is really funny. :D

Edited by Awakener_

Yes.

Phoenix > Casual > Classic (in terms of order and easiness)

Also, one of the pages has a super-blurry blurb about Hoshido and Nohr's ties to dragons--in particular, there's a mention of them worshiping some kind of dragon, a Divine Elder Dragon or something. It seems to suggest both of the royal families have dragon blood and *I think* the Avatar might have the blood of both.

But again, the text is super blurry, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT

Normal, Hard and Lunatic are still in.

Thanks Vincent! I'm delighted to hear Classic's back, initially off this site I was told it had been removed which caused a little freak-out. Looking forward to seeing the return of the 3 difficulties too. Always found it a nice touch. Lunatic+ is possible too I guess!

Also, blood of both dragons? Maybe that explains the black and white dragon aesthetic.

We also learn some new names from the images, to bad it's too low quality to see who those names belong to.

This one has Suzukaze(?) I guess that's the green-haired ninja.

Here we have Erufi.

Suzukaze seems correct. It apparently means "cool breeze". So that's great.

Erufi is probably the armor knight girl(?), since she's on the next screenshot paired up with Kamui. Speaking of which, Kamui looks weird in that shot, like he's half transformed or something.

A part of me wonders whether weapons will get worse to wear. For example, your Iron Sword won't break, but it will get duller. Whether you can repair like FE4 or not is another matter, but if weapon dulling takes place of Weapon breaking, I wouldn't be too bothered.

A part of me wonders whether weapons will get worse to wear. For example, your Iron Sword won't break, but it will get duller. Whether you can repair like FE4 or not is another matter, but if weapon dulling takes place of Weapon breaking, I wouldn't be too bothered.

I'd almost prefer this to the current durability system, if only because I can be far less worried about my units suddenly being left without any equipment should it break.

I'd almost prefer this to the current durability system, if only because I can be far less worried about my units suddenly being left without any equipment should it break.

As a whole, it's a good compromise. It still allows for the tension of weapons breaking without leaving someone unarmed. Couple that with the extremely limited Nohrian funds and dare I say it may work for the better.

Edited by DeoGame

If this Phoenix mode thing is legit, Irysa and feplus will have a field day.

I dunno, I don't think much really needs to be said.

Really, all I can add is that it's pretty clear that they don't place much value on permadeath at all anymore. If the series is going to continue to move in such fashions then obviously I can't dictate where it goes, but I will say I think these events are regrettable.

I wonder if there will be any in-story justification for Phoenix Mode. With Casual mode it was a simple "oh no i have been stabbed I must retreat", which is fair enough.

I predict something along the lines of "Dang, I'm dead. Wait hold up, lemme have a chit-chat with *insert deity here*, I'll be back in like a turn".

Extra save slots is an absolute blessing and I don't particularly care about weapon durability being gone. Though I'm definitely curious how weapon availabilty is going to be handled in that case...

This was briefly discussed previously, but the Dual System introduced in Awakening have been reworked slightly. It is difficult to tell from the small magazine images, but it seems units adopt an Attack Stance when attacking an enemy with a friendly unit is nearby.

Meanwhile, if two units are nearby, a new command can be chosen, Guard Stance, which seems to combine the two units and grant one of the units stat boosts, akin to Awakening's Pair Up system. It's unclear at the moment, but perhaps pairing up is now purely defensive and units cannot move after pairing up.

Hope that made sense...

Edited by VincentASM

Wow, so much hostility in this thread.

I was honestly expecting a Casual + mode to be introduced.

Tho I was hopeing a Classic + mode would come too(any playable character dies equals game over)

Tho I was hopeing a Classic + mode would come too(any playable character dies equals game over)

Honestly, that would just save the time needed to reset.

*whispers*

Please let weapon durability be changable, please let weapon durability be changable...

It gave another thing to strategize about. Should I use my hard earned Gold on this, or that?

With this implemented, once you have a weapon, you don't really have a need to buy another.

And I guess this means Armsthrift isn't returning?

But, what about the Pair-up icon we saw in the first trailer?

It could be a new shortcut for the Guard Stance?

TBH, I'm not confident about the details; the scans are small and there's little context.

But it seems they've split up the functions of Pair Up. So you can still Pair Up, but only for Dual Guards and not Dual Attacks.

Think there will be incentives to play Classic? I mean, between Casual and now Phoenix and the removal of weapons breaking, I want a bone thrown to the older game crowd. Special ending maybe?

Why do we need special incentives? Aren't bragging rights enough? That is, wouldn't you already feel a sense of satisfaction in that you were able to beat the game under a more challenging set of conditions that those who played on Casual or Phoenix did [a group who might be a substantial fraction of the player base]? Likewise with the proper difficulty levels like Lunatic vs. Hard. vs. Normal, etc., or whatever they name them.

Why do we need special incentives? Aren't bragging rights enough? That is, wouldn't you already feel a sense of satisfaction in that you were able to beat the game under a more challenging set of conditions that those who played on Casual or Phoenix did [a group who might be a substantial fraction of the player base]? Likewise with the proper difficulty levels like Lunatic vs. Hard. vs. Normal, etc., or whatever they name them.

It's more giving incentive to explore the other games. If there isn't incentive, less want to play, so on and so forth. Either way, I don't want this to be the end of Classic mode.

Let's be serious...

They retired... the weapon durability...

AND, they made FE If more casual than ever ?

*hangs himself*

Edited by Finn

It's more giving incentive to explore the other games. If there isn't incentive, less want to play, so on and so forth. Either way, I don't want this to be the end of Classic mode.

Except it's not, Classic mode will always be there, because FE is a series that tries to appeal to all players.

Heck, the Nohr campaign is being made purely to cater to classic FE players.

Infinite weapon durabilty I approve of, so my Einherjar Lyn doesn't have to grind so much to allow me to justify letting her use the Sol Katti.

Also, it opens the door for Gaiden's 1-5 range bows, which I want back NOW!!!