Famitsu 14th May: Phoenix Mode and No More Weapon Uses

IGdood

@Strawman; I hope you're right. But I wouldn't be so confident as to try and predict what IS would do next.

@Bacon; tbh I doubt they're making Phoenix Mode for any reason other than to appeal to people put off by Casual Mode.

I'm.... not quite sure what you mean here? If I'm taking this correctly from face value, then that would actually be counter productive and put them off even more.

What I mean is, sort of like Dynasty Warriors: Empires, where you'd take out an officer, and later on, they'd reappear on the battlefield, at one of their bases (which in FE's case, would be a fort). The battle doesn't end unless either you (or your commander,if thats not you), or the enemy commander is taken out. That's just the way I see it anyway, with wishful thinking.

Okay Rey made a mistake and he admitted he was wrong. That enough is something to respect him for. Let's stop witch hunting the guy just because he's well-known here.

Believe it or not, everyone acts like an asshole sometimes. You do. I do. He does. Let it go.

You're prolly the most civil person in this thread so far. Kudos to you

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, I didn't like Casual, considering that I personally believe that buying the game doesn't grant you the right to complete it, but the right to have an effectively unlimited number of fair attempts at clearing it. I find Phoenix mode simply insulting for a strategy game.

You're a bit late there, m8

Awakening already had auto mode and i'm pretty sure you could beat normal/casual only using it...

The only thing i'm worried about is then removing classic mode, but they wouldn't do that. OR WOULD THEY?? Hehe

Well, as IS continues attempting bigger and more complex stories you are going to get some storytellers getting really frustrated by the idea of creating this awesome character and only having them show up in their intro chapter during the main story. It's definitely inconvenient from that perspective to have everyone at risk of death at any time.

Of course, if they wanted to have the entire ensemble cast be part of the main story, they could just make people 'retreat' permanently instead of die, as they've done for ages now.

Uhm, guys... Are we even sure that the source of all these information is reliable and not some kind of rumor/troll?

There's also a gematsu link for this that cites Famitsu as a source that backs up all that as well as mentions a high amount of save slots.

Also, upon further review, I did not, in fact, call any of those VAs being cast. That said I am okay with... uh, most of them. Who the hell is the guy voicing the male Kamui again?

You know, whenever I need to replenish my weapons supply in other FE games I don't think "wow this is so fun and strategic having to constantly buy weapons and avoid using the super good ones", I think "goddammit I have to go out of my way to go to a shop/armory and buy stuff in bulk just to make sure I can fight".

This new system is far more convenient which I sort of appreciate.

People probably wouldn't be so harsh if he didn't do this shit constantly and make big spiels kvetching about the toxic parts of our fanbase. I would not be surprised if he continues to do this again in like a week, maybe a few more, and that's being generous.

Also I'm aware that some people are astonishingly bad at FE. I first played FE when I was 8 and I was really bad and lost a lot of my army, but Phoenix Mode seems to be operating under the assumption that the player regularly gets outamarted by a cactus.

Uhm, guys... Are we even sure that the source of all these information is reliable and not some kind of rumor/troll?

...Wait, *THAT* is Siliconera's source?

Phoenix mode is starting to sound like a massive troll post then.

Edit: Just saw the gematsu source.

I wish I had a copy of the famitsu.

Edited by shadowofchaos

@SoC; 陛下レイは、彼の謙虚なしもべにすぎ一種であります

@Bacon; I meant if some people thought Casual was too hard, Phoenix would be just right for them. The same way that some people though Classic was too hard, Casual is just right for them.

People probably wouldn't be so harsh if he didn't do this shit constantly and make big spiels kvetching about the toxic parts of our fanbase. I would not be surprised if he continues to do this again in like a week, maybe a few more, and that's being generous.

Also I'm aware that some people are astonishingly bad at FE. I first played FE when I was 8 and I was really bad and lost a lot of my army, but Phoenix Mode seems to be operating under the assumption that the player regularly gets outamarted by a cactus.

It keeps them from losing. It makes it so that, even if they run themselves into a corner, they don't have to restart the level. They can keep going. That's a lot more fun to some people.

Edited by MajorMajora

There's also a gematsu link for this that cites Famitsu as a source that backs up all that as well as mentions a high amount of save slots.

Also, upon further review, I did not, in fact, call any of those VAs being cast. That said I am okay with... uh, most of them. Who the hell is the guy voicing the male Kamui again?

Except they still linked back to that one blog...

Thanks, Hachima Kikou.

Edited by Ryo

EDIT:

@SoC; they said it's from Famitsu, is that site unreliable?

It'll be the biggest joke of all if this whole thread is about nothing.

Phoenix Mode appears to be the latest in a trend of Japanese games basically having a "Enjoy the Story" difficulty setting, which I have no issues with; if you really wanna blitz through, see the story first before really hunkering down and playing the game after, that's your call, and I have no objections. I mean, I'm never gonna use it, but I mean. It's there.

It keeps them from losing. It makes it so that, even if they run themselves into a corner, they don't have to restart the level. They can keep going. That's a lot more fun to some people.

It maybe fun for some, but doesn't that just defeat the whole point of a strategy rpg?

@strawman; with Phoenix Mode, is there even any point to the gameplay, though? It's like a Mario stage with no obstacles, there's almost no way to lose. I mean, even the King of Casuals thinks Phoenix is a joke mode.

Its like a Mario stage with obstacles but no time limit, and enemies but no way to fall off the level. Does the point of gameplay have to be about winning, necessarily. You still have the characters, you still have the development, the story, you are still fighting the enemies, making decisions. The gameplay is still there. Really I guess someone could still lose (I would guess Kamui's death would still result in game over), even though the possibility of game over would be drastically reduced. There would still be supports, and whatever else mechanics are in the game. It may not be some people's idea of fun, but it could be for some people. So really, the point of the gameplay is all created by the player. If the player sees a point in the gameplay, there is one, even if it differs from what you may see as the point of the game, so its subjective. The developers create a certain gameplay and points with which to engage that gameplay, but ultimately the interpretation is up to the player. There is a point as long as a player finds a point to play the game in that mode. Whether that be to overcome difficulty and get a sense of accomplishment and victory, or to have some super causal fun, or to mess around in a ridiculously easy mode.

Unlimited weapon uses could mean that the weapons can be very fucking expensive, just like in Thracia, and that you have very limited resources, so you'd still need to choose well what you are buying. Can work pretty well.

Phoenix mode sounds like uber shite, tho. Super Robot Wars, another seasoned SRPG didn't have perma-death like Fire Emblem, and the units that got destroyed in battle could be repaired and join the next mission. However in some cases, due to plot-related reasons, certain units could give you an instant game-over if they were beaten.

Also I think it could be better if they at least removed the characters items after they were "reborn", but yeah.

It maybe fun for some, but doesn't that just defeat the whole point of a strategy rpg?

Not to some people. You still need to concoct a strategy. You just get a lot of wriggle room and the ability to make mistakes. If you have all of your units run into a wall nothing happens. If you attack the enemy stuff happens. If you do it poorly stuff happens slower and units get temp-death.

Its not unforgiving, its nt hard, but it does use your brain to an extent. It's still stimulation. It's still fun.

Believe it or not, I've caused worse shitstorms in this forum before Awakening.

Way worse.

You were around, I'm just not sure you remember/aware/care.

EDIT:

@SoC; they said it's from Famitsu, is that site unreliable?

It'll be the biggest joke of all if this whole thread is about nothing.

Again, I wish I had a scan/article/something from Famitsu.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Okay Rey made a mistake and he admitted he was wrong. That enough is something to respect him for. Let's stop witch hunting the guy just because he's well-known here.

Believe it or not, everyone acts like an asshole sometimes. You do. I do. He does. Let it go.

It's pretty amazing doing it in at least 3 threads at once, though.

I wish I had a Famitsu link for this, but still. Considering how generally reliable Famitsu is with this stuff, I'm taking this at face value.

One other thing I noticed is that most of the JP VAs cast so far are all major names in anime voicework (hell, Marx's VA did the voice of fucking Kamina), which wasn't true for most of Awakening's cast (only the mains/Lissa/Fred/Tiki/Emm/Validar and fsr Lon'qu/Henry had anyone recognizable) and, while it's still early, the cast has me optimistic for a similarly big name cast not only in JP for everyone else, but also in that they'll go back to L.A. for the English dub of If to get big names.

You know, whenever I need to replenish my weapons supply in other FE games I don't think "wow this is so fun and strategic having to constantly buy weapons and avoid using the super good ones", I think "goddammit I have to go out of my way to go to a shop/armory and buy stuff in bulk just to make sure I can fight".

This new system is far more convenient which I sort of appreciate.

This is something I see constantly and it bugs the shit out of me when I see it. If you have good weapons, fucking use them to make things easier. I'm not advocating using them in an overly reckless and wasteful manner but if using a an awesome rare weapon is going to make your life easier, use it. It's useless if you don't.

Also what's wrong with buying weapons in bulk? That's like bitching about needing to upgrade your gear to get stronger in an RPG or complaining about needing to buy pokeballs to catch pokemon.

No. Its just becoming about more than just strategy.

Just because someone is having fun in a way you don't like to doesn't mean they shouldn't have fun.

Okay I apologize, but there's no point in a detailed answer right now, this just isn't the time. Maybe when things calm down.