Worst Axfighter I ever remember

These are the games I played in the series: FE1DS, FE3 Book 2 DS, FE4, FE6, FE7, FE8, & PoR.

And I don't remember an Axefighter as bad as Nolan!

First, what's his growths? He doesn't seem to gain more than 1 stat each level up, & in RD that's the minimum.

Right now I'm in C1-2 & he repeatedly can't land hits on lance soldiers which he should have WTA to?

Not even Johalva or JOURNEYMAN Ross was this bad; now I regret not transferring a stat capped Boyd.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems odd to me. At the beginning of the game, good help is hard to come by, which is why I always loved Nolan.

When he joins, Nolan is the strongest character by far and he is basically singlehandedly keeping the entire crew alive until Sothe shows up, at which point he is still the second best character and stays highly important in order to protect the Wet Tissue Brigade

Btw, growths can be found here:

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/growth-rates/

Edited by BrightBow

If you're playing on hard mode, weapon triangle doesn't exist so he doesn't have a hit bonus against lance users.

What kind of hit rates do you have?

Got pass 1-2 since there's Miccah & Sothe so Nolan not hitting anything didn't have to matter.

@baldrick: can't play hard until one has beaten normal.

Still the only positive about Nolan is slightly higher defence than Aran. In fact what people have been saying is true: DB is the weakest team of playable units (besides the characters from PoR) in the entire FE series.

Just take 1-3 for example: it is Sothe babysitting little toddlers surrounded by elite enemies vets backed by repeating reinforcements that might as well be Ashnard clones, comparatively.

slightly higher defence than Aran.

He does? That's weird, since Aran has 11 defence, and Nolan has 9 defence with a 35% growth. If he's only getting +def levels and consistently missing 80% hits you musta pissed off Anna at some point.

Wow. I guess ditch him for Boyd. Unless he corrects himself. Actually, screw warriors. Unless you must have one, use Jill and call it a day, and focus on other DB members.

When I read the title of the topic, for the first moment I thought about the enemy hand axe fighter with his 3 strength from chapter 7 in FE9..

Yeah, Nolan's growths are absolute untypical for a fighter. He reminds more on a pegasus knight with his 60% speed, 60% luck and 40% resistance.

His only weakness is his strength growth and his equipmement in early game. His steel axe weighs his speed down by three. If he doesn't level strength or speed in 1-1, he'll get doubled by some enemies in 1-2. However at least his speed growth should fix this problem.

If his strength is still lacking, forge him an iron axe in 1-4 to prevent getting any speed penalty.

Nolan has two more good points: earth affinity and he'll get a special weapon in part 3

Imo Boyd is by far worse than Nolan with his crappy base speed of 18 at level 8.

Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

I always thought Boyd was worse, thanks to his unimpressive speed base for his level. Not helping his case is that he's on the same team as Titania, and the fact that one of the best characters in the game also joins said team a few chapters in. Also, you've already seen some of the worst fighters in the series if you've played FE7 and FE8 (Dorcas, Bartre, and Garcia).

Edited by Levant Caprice

Nolan is usually pretty good? Not sure what's going on there.

Ditch him if you have to but focus on Edward if you're not playing on Hard. He has some great growths and a powerful PRF weapon and the only thing holding him back is that he's with the DB.

Odd, that you are having such rough luck. IMO he is the 2nd best DB member (behind only Jill) and one of the two units from part 1 I actually might bring into endgame.

Nolan always feels worse than I expect him to be. He seems to have speed too low to double what he would kill, and strength too low to kill what he doubles.

He's not the worst axe-fighter ever, though. Multiple GBA fighters are definitely worse. You getting poor growths with him (check his growths on the site) is just bad luck.

Actually, screw warriors. Unless you must have one, use Jill and call it a day, and focus on other DB members.

Does Jill have more chapter availability than Nolan or Boyd?

...but focus on Edward if you're not playing on Hard. He has some great growths and a powerful PRF weapon and the only thing holding him back is that he's with the DB.

But as early as part 1 you get Zihark who's better than Eddie at everything

She joins with Zihark at lv 14. If you're suicidal, you can recruit her into the Greil mercs later in the game, I highly don't recommend.

Zihark is easier to train than Ed, and has earth. However, Ed has great growths, and using him will pay off later with a prf.

Jill isn't available in 1-8.

Boyd is already level 8 second tier in part 3, but he will have worse stats in total than Nolan.

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/average-stats/nolan/

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/characters/average-stats/boyd/

In part 3 you've Gatrie, who's the definitely the best axe user of the Greil's Mercenaries.

i do have to say that edward is worth training on normal, but this isn't about edward.

Edward is trainable in each difficulty.

He's the only first tier unit (besides Jill with transfer boosts), who'll be able to double most of the enemies in part 1, if he's not RNG-screwed in speed.

With a decent defense and a support, he can even take to steel lances and steel bows in his face.

Wrath can kill himself. However it's a good skill, if he attacks from 2 range.

Recently I don't tend to use Zihark in part 1 anymore , which works for me very well.

Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

In part 3 you've Gatrie, who's the definitely the best axe user of the Greil's Mercenaries.

Not with Titania around.

And, I mean, he's not exactly a Greil Mercenary, but Haar is available after just two part 3 chapters.

Boyd with transfers is also better than Gatrie.

So is there any infinite farming of stat boosts like in Awakening, in cases of rng FUCKAGE?

no, the closest thing is the guaranteed 3 stats per level with BEXP use.

(STFU about dondon's 0% growth playthrough)

wut