[Spoilers] Absolutely terrible implementation of MyCastle x NextGen

ninjapokemon

Disagree.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Awakening handled it far better than this.

And you know what handled it far better then Awakening?

Holy War :P.

But in the end I don't mind how they did it in Fates, post-game/my castle stuff, its not plot integral like Lucina's interference to Awakenings plot.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, so instead of making Kamui the lord of a castle in Nohr/Hoshido where he shows his superb administrative skills along with his military geniality akin to Edward IV, it instead works like pocket dimension where he can rest his laurels... and initiate skinship.

Dissapointed over the missed opportunity. Why not make it a real castle where Kamui learns over time how to manage in peace as well as war, considering that his disposition is already towards peace.

The kids, I don't really care about since in my headcanon, they don't have the kids until a good deal time later (and I will not recruit them in my first playthrough) but it could have been a chance for people to be awed over Kamui's management skills instead of just swashbuckling or acting as a warrior therapist. He is not just the tactician of an army, he is the prince of a nation.

This is just embarrassing. If the game can't provide a good reason for them, they might as well just pop into existence. Then at least it wouldn't drag down the setting.

I am not sure what reason there is not to simply resort to adoption. It's simple and logical in the context of a war, makes it easy for them to be actual characters instead of being factory-made 12+ years designer children and allows the player to actually bond with ones' kids instead of taking it for granted that they care for each other based on a past we never saw. And of course it doesn't require any tears in the space and time continuum.

Edited by BrightBow

I really like the concept of the alternate (pocket-)dimensions. Maybe it's because I'm a comic fan and I'm used to alternate dimensions. For the fact that they had to come up with an idea to justify the children, I think they did a good.

This is just embarrassing. If the game can't provide a good reason for them, they might as well just pop into existence. Then at least it wouldn't drag down the setting.

I am not sure what reason there is not to simply resort to adoption. It's simple and logical in the context of a war, makes it easy for them to be actual characters instead of being factory-made 12+ years designer children and allows the player to actually bond with ones' kids instead of taking it for granted that they care for each other based on a past we never saw. And of course it doesn't require any tears in the space and time continuum.

Well, maybe the alternate dimensions are a part of the setting (I won't spoil myself, so I could be wrong). And since they are completely optional, you can ignore them anyway.

I really like the concept of the alternate (pocket-)dimensions. Maybe it's because I'm a comic fan and I'm used to alternate dimensions. For the fact that they had to come up with an idea to justify the children, I think they did a good.

They came up with an idea to allow the player to skip being an actual parent. I mean, part of being a parent is actually raising the kid. You can't take the love of a child for granted if you are not doing that.

...you know, it just came to my mind that freaking Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages had a better children mechanic then 12+ Emblem. You actually see the kid grow up little by little over the course of the games and it's development is affected based on what it receives from you. I mean, do the kids even receive as much as a name from you this time around?

Well, maybe the alternate dimensions are a part of the setting (I won't spoil myself, so I could be wrong). And since they are completely optional, you can ignore them anyway.

The thing is, I don't want to ignore it because it's an amazing concept if one doesn't execute it in a fashion that doesn't go beyond the appeal of Nintendogs. Quite frankly, I already love the mere idea of an JRPG protagonist being a parent. I mean, how often do you see that?

Edited by BrightBow

They came up with an idea to allow the player to skip being an actual parent. I mean, part of being a parent is actually raising the kid. You can't take the love of a child for granted if you are not doing that.

...you know, it just came to my mind that freaking Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages had a better children mechanic then 12+ Emblem. You actually see the kid grow up little by little over the course of the games and it's development is affected based on what it receives from you. I mean, do the kids even receive as much as a name from you this time around?

The thing is, I don't want to ignore it. It's an amazing concept if one doesn't execute it in a fashion that doesn't go beyond the appeal of Nintendogs. Quite frankly, I already love the mere idea of an JRPG protagonist being a parent. I mean, how often do you see that?

I haven't played any Zelda games, so this is news to me, but it sounds really interesting.

But you are right, if they added one or two scenes were you could talk to the kids and maybe influence their personality or even class, that would be really awesome. At least they imply that they visit the children regularly, and maybe their supports give them some opportunity for good parenting :)

And I also think that being a parent in a video game is very cool idea, I love the fact that you can adopt poor orphans in Skyrim and give them presents and let them live in a big Mansion.

Edited by Bman

I haven't played any Zelda games, so this is news to me, but it sounds really interesting.

No, it really isn't. There is not a lot to it. It's just a little sidequest thing that one can keep track of as one progresses through the game. That's why I brought it up, because it takes so little to do better then Fire Emblem when it comes to this. It can't be so hard to come up with something for this period beyond an excuse why we don't see anything of it.

Edit:

And I also think that being a parent in a video game is very cool idea, I love the fact that you can adopt poor orphans in Skyrim and give them presents and let them live in a big Mansion.

Yeah, they always make me feel guilty if I don't find any Kahjit merchants to buy puppets from. There is not much to it since the player avatar in Skrimir can't really be considered a character and the kids don't really have anything beyond a backstory that stops mattering after the adoption anyway and most importantly there isn't any real development but I guess it did make me at least genuine wonder how I would ever manage being a parent when I evidently can't resist the power of an disappointed "owwwww". It is at least a nice little addition to a series which is aiming to give player a world that allows them to do anything.

Edited by BrightBow

I think children were handled relatively well all things considered. Geneology did it better but I don't think a time skip works with Fates story. The children are completely optional as well, which is a bonus. I think this is one of the better ways they could've added children.

This implementation isn't as horrible as it is hilarious. But seriously, what were you all expecting? You all would've complained if they did the time travel from Awakening again. There is no good way to implement a second generation outside of an FE4 time skip, but that doesn't fit with Fates' narrative. You all are complaining for the sake of complaining.

I had not problem with the time travel in Awakening, but I would have certainly thought it dumb to use the same exact explanation a second time. Also, time travel when the plot doesn't directly use time travel is kinda dumb.

It kind of reminds me of the Feymarch from FFIV where Rydia grows up in a short span of time in the main story. Technically the children never leave the My Castle until you recruit them whereas on the otherhand your army will regularly leave My Castle and could spend far less time in the My Castle if we assume most of their time chapter 7 onwards is actually spent in the campaign which means the Children age much faster and catch up.

I don't exactly see how it's horrible.

Edited by arvilino

It kind of reminds me of the Feymarch from FFIV where Rydia grows up in a short span of time in the main story. Technically the children never leave the My Castle until you recruit them whereas on the otherhand your army will regularly leave My Castle and could spend far less time in the My Castle which means the Children age much faster and catch up.

I don't exactly see how it's horrible.

Oh yeah, this is exactly like the Feymarch! Okay, I like this now. Can I change Kanna's name to Rydia?

I'd prefer a second-generation overall. Hell, how about doing the opposite off what they did in Awakening.

Hypothetical idea: First gen fights battle against obvious enemy. Beat obvious enemy. Yay! Married couples settle down, start producing kids. Suddenly, not so obvious enemies appear!

Get shoved into battle. Enemies are far too strong and numerous. It's completely unwinnable. Suddenly, Dragon time magic! Everyone is frozen in place! Fast forward fifteen-twenty years! Magic wears off! Kids are fighting a losing battle against not so obvious enemy! Old generation and new generation team up ala Future of Despair. Gather the kids across paralogues to battle not so obvious enemy!

Seems like a better choice, though it probably wouldn;t have fit with the storyline they have going.

Kamui's pocket demiplane is dragon magic, we ain't gotta explain shit.

there is its.

Also, its not a part of the actual narrative so i cant really get worked up over it.

I'd prefer a second-generation overall. Hell, how about doing the opposite off what they did in Awakening.

Hypothetical idea: First gen fights battle against obvious enemy. Beat obvious enemy. Yay! Married couples settle down, start producing kids. Suddenly, not so obvious enemies appear!

Get shoved into battle. Enemies are far too strong and numerous. It's completely unwinnable. Suddenly, Dragon time magic! Everyone is frozen in place! Fast forward fifteen-twenty years! Magic wears off! Kids are fighting a losing battle against not so obvious enemy! Old generation and new generation team up ala Future of Despair. Gather the kids across paralogues to battle not so obvious enemy!

Seems like a better choice, though it probably wouldn;t have fit with the storyline they have going.

That's a dank idea

Okay, so I just gotta chip in here. At first, I wasn't thrilled about this method of bringing in the child characters (I wasn't all that thrilled with bringing back child characters in the first place, but I won't complain that they were included). But then, as I thought about it more, this explanation (while undoubtedly silly) could potentially provide some of the best opportunities for characterization. (I'm also a sucker for tragedy... in moderation.)

I'm gonna put the rest of my rant in spoilers, just in case.

Since the kids were put into the care of "caretakers" in a different world (dimension or whatever it is), that means that the parents still had the kid and had some time to bond with the tykes before their lives were in danger. Even with frequent visits, this means that the parents were largely absent parents, and so they've missed so many important moments in their children's lives.

(I'm just going off of what's been said in here and translated about the child characters, so the speculation starts here.)

I want to see the parents genuinely upset about missing out on being a part of their kids' lives. I want to see Shigure showing his art to Azura, only for her to sadly remind him that she can't really say anything because she hasn't been able to see him improve. I want to see Leo apologize to Foleo for not being there when he's bullied for looking like a girl. I want to see Ryoma and Xander get distressed over the fact that they couldn't personally teach their sons to be good people! I want to see the parents get depressed that their children grew up to be well-adjusted people without their help!

I have no idea if we're going to get those kinds of interactions in the game, and if we don't, by Naga I swear, I will write fanfiction for it. And I will put my best efforts into that fanfiction.

I'm so sorry for the rant. I just really wanted to post that.

tl;dr I love the story possibilities this explanation gives us, even if marriage and children can be ignored without altering the game's story.

How do I deal with this ? I want marriage but I dislike speed growth nextgen。

What is a good headcanon way to deal or ignore this?

Why don't you just use my way? Here:

1. Once S-Ranked, do not do any prologues.

That is all you have to do to ignore the nextgen characters and it makes no impact on the story. Regarding the system message that shows once S-Rank is achieved, you can feel free to ignore it.

I mean FE is all about YOUR OWN experience. What is canon for you, canon for your playthrough, is canon for you only. Nothing more nothing less.

If these different worlds where you leave your children at have a significance to the main story, I'll accept it and be okay with the idea. In one of the trailers we saw a grassland with chunks of land rip out ignoring the laws of gravity, maybe this is the world? The time travel in Awakening actually had significance to the story, so if they just added this "alternate dimension" thing just for the sake of having children, I will be very disappointed.

You know what I think would be a good idea? If IS let their fanbase write the story, I'm sure we all have better ideas than them. They don't seem to be knowing what their doing.

This would make a Fire Emblem game even better than Genealogy. Awakening's supports and character personalities with the way FE4 did generation two, but you don't lose all your old units.

Gather the kids across paralogues to battle not so obvious enemy!

I think it would be more interesting to gather the parents as after their war or battle they wouldn't all be in the same place, like merchant Anna, sellsword Beowolf, or Khan Flavia.

In the second half of the game you could switch the main lord to the child of first gens main lord, and if he dies after you recruit him in gen 2 it won't result in a game over since he isn't the main focus of the story anymore.

Edited by Rabbattack

Okay, for those wanting specifics, after making an S-support you get this message:

少しずつ絆を育んでいった

二人はついに結ばれ…

やがて二人は

子を授かった。$k$pが、まもなく(Avatar)の城は

姿なき魔物の襲撃に見舞われる…$k$p魔物の狙いが

赤子の命であることは明らかだった。$k$p子供の身を憂う彼らは、【秘境】と

呼ばれる隠れ里の存在を知る。$k$p星界には星の数ほどの小さな世界があり、

中には人々が暮らす地もある。$k$pその【秘境】に隠せば、子供たちは

成長するまで安全に暮らすことができる。$k$pだが、【秘境】の時間の流れは

ふつうとは異なっているという…$k$p両親は我が子を守るため、

いっときの別れを決意し、$k$p子供を世話役に託し、

【秘境】で育てることにした…

Roughly translated (more experienced translators feel free to correct me):

"The two's bond gradually grew close, they wed, and before long had children. But the formless demons soon attacked the Avatar's castle, clearly targeting the children. Those concerned for the children's safety knew of secluded refuges called 'hikyou' ('秘境,' as NeonZ said, either 'unexplored region' or 'isolated region', I don't feel like thinking of a good translation). Within the star ocean exist many small worlds, including places with people living peacefully. Secluded within these hikyou the children could live in safety until they reached adulthood. However, the flow of time within these hikyou differs greatly from the normal world. In order to protect their children, the parents resolved to part with them for a time and leave them in the care of the managers of these worlds, and so they grew up in the hikyou."

In short, My Castle links to a bunch of Hyperbolic Time Chambers where the parents left the kids for their own safety, though they do visit when they can (in her Paralogue Kanna remarks that her father is "coming today," while in Shigure's Aqua mentions that no matter how many times she comes she is stunned that such a vast sea exists in that world). The kids also speak with their set parent comfortably as if they've known each other all along. (E: Well, I haven't actually done any other S-supports beyond Kamui x Aqua, so I guess I can't 100% guarantee they all work like that)

So every time two characters get married, there's a timeskip that last at least half a year, probably more. How many potential pairs to produce children character are there on each route? More then enough to let Gunter die of old age before you're done recruiting all of them, probably. Skipping half a year once may not seem like much, but it'll stack up.

You know what I think would be a good idea? If IS let their fanbase write the story, I'm sure we all have better ideas than them. They don't seem to be knowing what their doing.

Here's my brilliant idea; don't recycle a silly Awakening gimmick that never needed to come back.

Seriously. Why the heck do we need to have a second generation of characters anyway? Why couldn't they find a different way to implement more characters or paralogues?

Edited by Zachmac

Okay, for those wanting specifics, after making an S-support you get this message:

少しずつ絆を育んでいった

二人はついに結ばれ…

やがて二人は

子を授かった。$k$pが、まもなく(Avatar)の城は

姿なき魔物の襲撃に見舞われる…$k$p魔物の狙いが

赤子の命であることは明らかだった。$k$p子供の身を憂う彼らは、【秘境】と

呼ばれる隠れ里の存在を知る。$k$p星界には星の数ほどの小さな世界があり、

中には人々が暮らす地もある。$k$pその【秘境】に隠せば、子供たちは

成長するまで安全に暮らすことができる。$k$pだが、【秘境】の時間の流れは

ふつうとは異なっているという…$k$p両親は我が子を守るため、

いっときの別れを決意し、$k$p子供を世話役に託し、

【秘境】で育てることにした…

Roughly translated (more experienced translators feel free to correct me):

"The two's bond gradually grew close, they wed, and before long had children. But the formless demons soon attacked the Avatar's castle, clearly targeting the children. Those concerned for the children's safety knew of secluded refuges called 'hikyou' ('秘境,' as NeonZ said, either 'unexplored region' or 'isolated region', I don't feel like thinking of a good translation). Within the star ocean exist many small worlds, including places with people living peacefully. Secluded within these hikyou the children could live in safety until they reached adulthood. However, the flow of time within these hikyou differs greatly from the normal world. In order to protect their children, the parents resolved to part with them for a time and leave them in the care of the managers of these worlds, and so they grew up in the hikyou."

In short, My Castle links to a bunch of Hyperbolic Time Chambers where the parents left the kids for their own safety, though they do visit when they can (in her Paralogue Kanna remarks that her father is "coming today," while in Shigure's Aqua mentions that no matter how many times she comes she is stunned that such a vast sea exists in that world). The kids also speak with their set parent comfortably as if they've known each other all along. (E: Well, I haven't actually done any other S-supports beyond Kamui x Aqua, so I guess I can't 100% guarantee they all work like that)

Not as bad as I think, but it still on terribad level.

Seriously. Why the heck do we need to have a second generation of characters anyway? Why couldn't they find a different way to implement more characters or paralogues?

It was apparently a popular thing in Awakening, such a popular thing, that it apparenlty had to come back in someway or another.

Yeaaaaaah... :/

Edited by B.Leu

Not as bad as I think, but it still on terribad level.

Terrible.

But this is coming over to NA and EU.

I am just going to ignore this system message and ignore paralogues.

There is enough content (3 games worth) for me anyway. I didn't really interact much with the nextgen characters in Awakening anyway. I thought they were silly, shallow, and a waste of time ad my memory.

In Awakening gen 2 wasn't THAT recycled as they've only done it once before in the series and in a different way. Now IS is just adding children just to be like Awakening. FE14 is the one truly recycling this gimmick.

Terrible.

But this is coming over to NA and EU.

I am just going to ignore this system message and ignore paralogues.

There is enough content (3 games worth) for me anyway. I didn't really interact much with the nextgen characters in Awakening anyway. I thought they were silly, shallow, and a waste of time ad my memory.

It was okay in Awakening imo, what you just described fits FE14's implementation of children. Edited by Rabbattack