General US Politics

Ansem

Actually, I want to change something.

Based on the reaction I've been getting on Facebook and everyone here, there is one thing I do want to gloat about.

This middle finger? It feels fucking fabulous. It is so very sweet and I didn't know how good it could possibly feel. And I say that knowing full well that Conservatism may have died last night.

​But we planted ourselves in the ground and made our stand. We told you to fuck off and your reaction is to cry. And watching those tears as a result of what we fought against just makes this great to enjoy for right now.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or it shows fear?

Are people not allowed to be afraid?

Like in post-Brexit Britain, would you tell foreign nationals that they're being selfish when a rise in racial attacks are actually happening?

The smug liberal criticism is real and deserves but it has to be aimed at straight white people.

I'm afraid as well. But generalizing such that all Trump supporters are enemies goes against the very spirit of "being united as a country despite our different views".

Belinda started crying, fearing for my safety here in the South during the election more than when I first moved here.

Labeling a group like how they do shows that fear has taken them over. It's a dark road to walk.

I have little respect for the man, but I respect the office. The authority that comes with it. While democracy is terrifying sometimes, it is what it is.

Edited by shadowofchaos

​Take it from someone who waffled on Trump and finally threw in for him. I was excoriated here for it. And yet, I don't see a reason to rub it in because it was Trump.

Actually, I want to change something.

Based on the reaction I've been getting on Facebook and everyone here, there is one thing I do want to gloat about.

This middle finger? It feels fucking fabulous. It is so very sweet and I didn't know how good it could possibly feel. And I say that knowing full well that Conservatism may have died last night.

​But we planted ourselves in the ground and made our stand. We told you to fuck off and your reaction is to cry. And watching those tears as a result of what we fought against just makes this great to enjoy for right now.

Well, you're petty.

Yep.

America has all my sympathy from across the Atlantic. Our diplomatic relationships may become a mess in the coming years, but we still love you.

Well, possibilities of stuff like that happening give me one reason to be glad that a POTUS's term lasts only four years. Assuming things here in the U.S. go south, hopefully the majority of the people would have enough sense to vote the ill-tempered scam artist (who, by all means, literally defied the odds) out of office.

Yep.

I know. And it feels SOOOOOOOOOOO good.

​I'm being told that I should be ashamed for laughing while the world burns around me. Clearly, y'all clearly don't get it.

I had spent the last couple of weeks predicting a Hillary Win, because the whole money train was behind her. All I can say about this outcome is... So, that happened.

I did however call the fact that Georgia's a Red State.

Yep.

Absolutely.

​I'm being told that I should be ashamed of myself because the world is burning around me. Clearly, y'all (and I mean both here and Facebook) missed the point.

On the bright side, Trump is the first president to have the name in WWE hall of fame. He is also the first president to have a tower of his own like Lex Luthor.

I do giggle at this. Especially as Luthor has been president himself.

...Then we come back to reality and Putin being happy for this. Well shit. And the popular vote might not be his either. What a mess either way.

Irregardless, he's in now, and he'll be in office in 2 months if nothing goes horribly. We'll have to see his plan from there.

I'm afraid as well. But generalizing such that all Trump supporters are enemies goes against the very spirit of "being united as a country despite our different views".

Belinda started crying, fearing for my safety here in the South during the election more than when I first moved here.

Labeling a group like how they do shows that fear has taken them over. It's a dark road to walk.

I have little respect for the man, but I respect the office. The authority that comes with it. While democracy is terrifying sometimes, it is what it is.

Yes, some Trump supporters might be bigoted, but by no means all or even most of them. Many just feel that the current system screws them over and want an outsider as president. I'm on the Midwest, and that's the feeling I got. I did not vote for Trump, but many of my friends and family did, and if I cut them all out of my life, I'd be very lonely right now.

As I've gotten older, I've learned that we won't agree on everything, but as long as we keep an open discussion, things will work out in the end.

If you dislike someone because they voted for someone who will oppress you than either A)They want to oppress you and have always wanted to oppress you, the vote was just them acting on that desire, in which case you should never have been friends with them in the first place, or, B)They had entirely different reasons for voting that way and you're basically stereotyping and discriminating them by lumping them in with a whole load of other people due to a shared trait. While at the same time distancing someone who is possibly sympathetic, or at the very worst apathetic to your cause.

A) People change, or reveal facets they did not show up until now. If you expect omniscience from me when I create friendships, I'm just a human being.

B) Voting isn't a trait, something that you're born with like race, sex, gender, or orientation. It's not a thing people discriminate against, but an active process of reflection and choice. I'm sure Trump voters had their reasons, and they put those reasons above that of me and other minorities.

Edited by Miacis

I do agree with all this. I have respect for the office, too.

I just can't ask others not to take the actions they feel they need to to protect themselves.

As I've gotten older, I've learned that we won't agree on everything, but as long as we keep an open discussion, things will work out in the end.

That's what I meant when I originally criticized their statement of cutting every Trump supporter out of their life as a lack of maturity.

That's what I meant when I originally criticized their statement of cutting every Trump supporter out of their life as a lack of maturity.

I agree with you. I was quoting you to go along with your idea, not argue against it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are overreacting. Sadly what bothers me the most is that a lot of people I know didn't vote on the account that they "didn't care." I realize that you may not care about the presidency, but people completely forgot about their local issues in the states. I wasn't a fan of either, and I'm still not a fan of the system we have in place. That doesn't change. One can only hope that people are smart enough to not go totally bonkers over the election.

I just can't ask others not to take the actions they feel they need to to protect themselves.

Being in the South, I can empathize with the "needing to protect themselves".

But when you label everyone under a certain premise as an enemy, you're doing very little to protect yourself. You're only making yourself a target.

Not to mention alienating those middle of the road positions even within your own group. Being an extreme will give you misunderstandings and can cause conflicts that could have been solved with a little understanding from yourself. (Referring to Cykes user)

So, uh what would be the best case scenario for America in the next four years seeing as Trump won?

Btw, was really surprising he actually won. Totally unexpected.

So, uh what would be the best case scenario for America in the next four years seeing as Trump won?

GOP establishment shuts down the wall and banning muslims. Maybe he could sort of forget about all the stuff he said while campaigning and just focus on his victory speech?

Just read the news, guys. Haven't followed the thread, nor know in-depth details about Clinton nor Trump, just that most people label it is a troll/circus campaign.

Tbh, I think Americans should have hope, I think that despite the outcome being the one most people did not expect, there's still hope and I'm positive Trump will be a good president. At least, in the economic part he's a powerful businessman and I'm certain he'll improve America's situation in that regards. Dunno about other aspects since I'm ignorant about them.

A similar scenario was experienced here in Colombia with the vote for the plebiscite, asking colombians whether they agreed on the terms the Government/President Santos and FARC (former guerrilla) established for the peace treaty. Most people were hyped with voting YES, and the people voting NO were labelled as war promoters and going against the desired peace. In the end, the NO won by a minimum margin (we have a polarized country) and people were basically crying, terrified and thinking it was the apocalypsis or something, but in the end it has being better than if the YES would've won, because the country has felt more union and the Government included the opposition in the Negotitaing Team for the peace.

So, guys, there's hope ~

Edited by Quintessence

At least, in the economic part he's a powerful businessman and I'm certain he'll improve America's situation in that regards. Dunno about other aspects since I'm ignorant about them.

His money comes from his father.

He's good at real estate, but that was about it.

He's had multiple business bankruptcies.

Trump steaks, Trump University, Trump airlines, Trump vodka...

Edited by shadowofchaos

You know, there's somehing to be said about a president that is a Billionaire reality TV show star Wrestlemania winner

And a First lady that is a super model playboy playmate.

2016 has been a weird year.

Edited by Water Mage

Btw, was really surprising he actually won. Totally unexpected.

I'd say that the best scenario is he gets some actual classes on diplomacy and PR so he's less of a laughing stock internationally, for starters. And that Congress does its own thing without paying him much heed, and that he gets big fat checks to do what Congress wants. Hopefully in the next two years the Congress can switch blue so they don't have to bribe him anymore and maybe, maybe get some decent bills in.

It'll still be 2 years where PoC, LDGT+, disabled people and just women in general see their rights shrink from conservative policy. And climate change is ignored. But it's better than the worst case scenario.

At least, in the economic part he's a powerful businessman and I'm certain he'll improve America's situation in that regards.

He's not. He's good at making himself rich more than making his businesses flourish. The USD already took a hit and his lowering tax plan for the rich relies on a trickle-down effect to actually help America thrive.

Edited by Miacis

I've just watched the news and holy heck are people freaking over Trump winning.

Literally, a few people broke their TVs after watching the news of him winning.

Kinda scary, considering some people are fearing for their lives now, since he won.

Meanwhile-

in India,Trump supporters dance and try to feed his poster with sweets. I'm fearing for my country now.