Smash 4, Character Discussion Thread. #21 Metaknight

Jedi

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Euk, Comet, do actual votes or I will take away your voting privileges from this and the next vote entirely. Sorry I'm just not in the best of moods atm lol.

Edited by Jedi

3 Votes

Ryu

2 Votes

Captain Falcon

1 Vote
Metaknight
Little Mac
Zelda
Palutena
Robin
Mii Swordfighter
Luigi

Captain Falcon

and euk it's corrin

IT'S CORN, also sorry if I sounded harsh in my previous post to you.

Edited by Jedi

It's Ryu Time Boys and Girls.

lqj8GL9.jpg

0JpbAD3.png "You must defeat my Shoryuken to stand a chance."

Origin: Street Fighter on the Arcade

Year: 1987

Developer: Capcom

Japanese VA: Hiroki Takahashi
English VA: Kyle Hebert

Frame Data

RSATD: Just about all of his moves honestly, they transition from Street Fighter and other games Ryu has been in, along with his various button inputs which make the moves stronger. Also his shield noise on perfect shield is from Street Fighter 3's parry system.

Ryu, one of the DLC fighters, is also one of the most technical in the entire series, having various versions of tilts and jabs depending on how lightly or hard you press the button, along with some of the best combo potential, along with the Street Fighter inputs for improved versions of his specials, leads to a very complex and hard to use character, this combo game he has, also opens up KO opportunities thanks to the True Shoryuken, the supped up version of his Up B which has very good frames and can be combo'd into fairly easily.

As someone who plays Ryu in street fighter even, the transition for me is awkward (which shouldn't be the case lol), so I can't really use him as well as I had hoped, also his grabs are fairly good, leading into some nice hits, also he has some of the most crunchiest sounding attacks in the game, its always satisfying to hit someone with Ryu,

He has a fairly good recovery as well, boasting the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, as well as the Shoryuken, both of their distances can be altered by you, depending on using the B move or the input variant.

Ryu has seen some popularity in the competitive scene, some people are currently considering him a contender for top 5 in the game when utilized at maximum potential. So have at it Street Fighters.

Edited by Jedi

Gonna drop a bit of stuff I spitballed at Jedi earlier. Some context: It'd be a very good day for me to be in the money even at a fairly strong local, but I'm far from garbage and somewhat knowledgeable. If I had to tier Ryu, I'd say he's very clearly top--good mobility, lands like a beast, hits like a freight train (in terms of raw damage and combo potential), has no trouble killing, not awful recovery, doesn't get shut out by shield, really only has one matchup that I'd say is more than the slimmest disadvantage (Pikachu). I'd put him in T5 with Sheik, Rosa, ZSS, and Pika.

utilt is silly
[1:16:52 AM] Jedi: and leads into true shoryuken
[1:16:54 AM] Jedi: if you can do it
[1:17:02 AM] Terrador: ohhhh yeah, it's pretty gud
[1:17:12 AM] Terrador: As far as top/high tiers go...
[1:22:14 AM] Terrador: Ryu probably matches up... even or slightly under with Sheik (she's just TOO FAST, and his options to protect himself are small, but I think Ryu shreds Sheik at like, local-tier comp), even or slightly over with Rosaluma (tall char gets chewed up by good airgame, HUGE moves to fuck up Luma, can land with Focus, kills like Jesus), pretty poorly against Pikachu (small, fast, edgeguards like a champ), probably loses a little bit to ZSS (outspaced and no safe Hadouken, but she can't really go in on him either, very technical and defensive matchup I'd say), probably loses a little to Diddy too (smol, fair trades well enough and is faster, doesn't really have to sit in shield to defend himself effectively, lands easily), takes a shit on Sonic, and... I can't see any other negative matchups off the top of my head, besides maybe Peach and ROB.
[1:25:12 AM] Terrador: My shitty 2c on the matter lol
[1:25:35 AM] Jedi: Could you share that in the thread too, when my first post starting the discussion goes live?
[1:27:44 AM] Terrador: tbh I'd kinda rather not, I'm so bad at this game
[1:28:00 AM] Jedi: its an anything goes discussion
[1:28:03 AM] Jedi: I encourage it
[1:28:04 AM] Jedi: doofus.
[1:28:10 AM] Terrador: hahaha
[1:28:30 AM] Jedi: I almost garentee when Falcon wins
[1:28:40 AM] Jedi: it'll be a discussion on how much we can style
[1:28:42 AM] Jedi: for crying out loud
[1:28:43 AM] Jedi: lol
[1:28:59 AM] Terrador: tbh I'd say Ryu's matchups would mostly depend on landing options to get out of his juggles, interaction with fair and bair (ex. Ryu >>>>. Jiggs), and run speed
[1:29:04 AM] Terrador: as a rule of thumb

I don't see what Ryu does better than the commonly accepted Top 10 (and he certainly doesn't have the results AFAIK), and I also have not downloaded him (so might be wrong on that first point). My favorite thing about him is when he suicides.

Edited by Refa

Ken is great. I love Ken. But nows for the scrub below im. If nobody can, Sure-Ryu-can!

He has the best sex kick in the game. It goes into anything. TruShoryuken, Tilt Combo's to Air Combo's, Grabs, specials. Sooo good. Even the Shoryu poking out of the ground is pretty good when you go for a ledge.
I love that Focus Attack>DAir>Shoryu+. Even Dthrow to Shoryu+ at low percentages is great. Hadouken is great for follow ups on missed techs. He's a dream. You know the other player is good when they don't give a crap about taking too much damage and only care about lifting you from 0-50, then KO.

Pit is a good check doh. Multi hit moves nul that Focus Attack. And you don't want Pit grabbing you either or you'll get carried across stage before you need to get back on it. Then Ryu's recovery can be quirky and get the job done, a homing projectile really just breaks momentum.

im no expert, but it was mentioned that Ryu beats Sonic easily, but Sonic has like a billion multihit moves that ruin focus attack and can probably get out of utilt strings with upb and the spring also fucks his recovery if he recovers low too. It just doesn't seem like a particularly good matchup.

As for Ryu himself he's pretty unique I guess but True Shoryuken is really his only reliable kill option unless you get one of his situational dair combos near the edge or something. Has some good combos for damage and like all his moves do way too much damage (15% fair that's fast and combos into itself, seems fair, 16% bair) but I dunno it feels they had to make him good because he's motherfucking Ryu and i'm ok with that.

should have voted falcon ryu is boring

Edited by General Horace