Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

A definite possibility. Between the shoddy-plot, skinship, the Soleil controversy and everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-shuffled. At the very least, the negative aspects of Fates will be the kick up the arse they need to improve in these areas.

Was it IS that was responsible for writing the supports? The actual plot-writing went elsewhere, and I'm not sure if it was the same deal with the scripts.

Or they could solve the support problem forever by having Team Folgore Writers create 'em all

Well, the last line of the support is this:

Tharja: Aw, how sweet. S/he's sleeping. Sleeping and...helpless. Hee hee hee hee!

Full support here: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Awakening_Supports/Tharja_Avatar(M)

Personally I don't care if Tharja did anything to Robin as long as IS deliberately implied that she might have raped her just for the sake of fetish pandering. And there are other lines that show that Tharja is trying to find ways to overwrite Robin's consent, like this one if she gains exp from a sparkly tile, so IS knew perfectly well what the above line implied:

Tharja: Ah, finally, a perfect voodoo doll. Robin will have eyes only for me

I KNOW you're not going to do further research regarding Tharja, so you'll have to take my word on this when I say that Tharja embodies a lot of socially awkward people's interactions with people that they find interesting. I still haven't decided whether or not the backlash she gets is sad or hilarious.

Regardless, this is why you get me on your tail when you go into rant mode. You're free to dislike a character, but please have the full picture before doing so!

(it's why I merely dislike Severa, while being quite unhappy with Cordelia)

Actually, getting the full picture before saying ANYTHING is kind of why this topic exists in the first place!

So his tiny amount of credibly still stands.

If you get caught in a lie you have 2 choices

A. Admit that you were lying

B. Dig yourself into a deeper hole with another lie to back up the OG lie

Wait a minute, he has no credibility

@lobo I agree that it is decent to hide his email address but because it's hidden I'm still skeptical that he could have just forged that email. I'm even more skeptical about it because there is no receive date, it could have been an email from 2 years ago

Hiding the e-mail address is what would happen no matter what. It's standard operating practice, and no indication of whether or not the e-mail is true/false/somewhere in-between.

I don't think skinshipping has been shown in an American/English trailer? Maybe they haven't said anything is because it's a spoiler. Some people may not look for news in Japanese trailers or sites so it could be news to them. Hence, Nintendo didn't say a word about it even with this going on.

Old lady's memory is hazy, but do you remember if it was shown in the first gameplay video ever (where the name "Corrin" was introduced)?

The petting minigame should have been restricted to only the most bearded of males, with no option to pet anything that isn't hair.

Get on the design team, NOW! :P:

Even though I agree gen 3 is the worst gen and think gen 4 is the best, that's rather mean spirited right there...

The irony. . .

Signed, someone who thinks Gen 3 was the best.

True, but I do sincerely doubt Grayson is actually lying. I know Kotaku has an awful rep, but it would be insane for a journalist to perpetuate this so much by providing as much detail as he has just to satisfy some ransoms on Twitter if it were all a blatant lie.

If what he says turns out to be wrong, I'd wager that is was due to a miscommunication rather than Grayson intentionally reporting a lie.

Grayson's in, whether he likes it or not. If he says anything to the contrary, all hell breaks loose. As a PR person, he'd know how to do damage control, which is why I'm content with waiting and seeing how it goes.

Review copies should give us a definitive answer, unless Nintendo puts a specific clause that they shouldn't talk about it (which will be VERY suspicious).

http://postimg.org/image/6u2m77dwr/

WHAT IS THIS? Looks like concrete confirmation to me... skinship is out.

I'mma go cry. My thirst will not be quenched.

Hold on for a sec.

You got a stock e-mail. This guy got some sort of confirmation.

Why would that be the case?

---

Still don't care about the original issue, but I want to see how this affects the players in this convoluted chess game. Someone's going to take the fall, even if Kotaku is right, because leaking this sort of thing does damage.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this says "have been changed to not include the ability to touch various body parts"

It sounds like: But you can touch some, just not everything

I'm tempting to send a message too, but I'm sure the prople from Nintendo LA are less informed... Oh well, skinship in or out, I still want to play, I just hope that if it was really removed, we have something new

"We're sorry, sir. You can not buy various cars here at the moment."

It's formality.

You couldn't touch anything below the shoulders anyway, what body parts would they even make off-limits to make it any different from the original version?

Only limited to the forehead, then this would REALLY be petting!

:3

...but I do agree. What could they limit because it's only the face. Anything lower and......well...this would be even MORE controversial than it already is!

(0_0)

I don't think we're going to get any confirmation until the game actually comes out. All we've been getting so far are non-answers and confirmation from a sketchy source.

This seems like a reasonable assumption. If nintendo hasn't addressed this issue yet, they've probably decided to just wash their hands of it, and let their actual game do the talking, come what may.

In other news, this thread has the third highest page count on the main page, beaten only by the marriage, supports, and children thread, with 98 pages, and the I just want to know one thing thread, which has 117, and I find it darn funny we're still finding words to say about this.

Edited by AsherCrane

Still don't care about the original issue, but I want to see how this affects the players in this convoluted chess game. Someone's going to take the fall, even if Kotaku is right, because leaking this sort of thing does damage.

I would hope that Kotaku wouldn't face any repercussions if Grayson is right because for all the shit that I give Kotaku it would be one of the few decent bits of journalism done by that site considering he could have just ignored it.

Not anywhere close to making up what I think of them, but have to give credit.

Edited by Tryhard

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but it is semi related... Does anyone know what the Japanese fanbase thought of skinship? Was it just as oddly received as it is over here? I thought their feedback might have some bearing as to why NoA may have removed it. If it was removed at all of course.

I think it is more accepted there. Plus lots of the miiverse posts in the FE if community are screenshots from the skinshiping!

...I really want to see that AHA.

EDIT: I'm 99.9% sure it would be the same over here.

Edited by carefreejules

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but it is semi related... Does anyone know what the Japanese fanbase thought of skinship? Was it just as oddly received as it is over here? I thought their feedback might have some bearing as to why NoA may have removed it. If it was removed at all of course.

I think it is more accepted there. Plus lots of the miiverse posts in the FE if community are screenshots from the skinshiping!

...I really want to see that AHA.

EDIT: I'm 99.9% sure it would be the same over here.

...I never though about that. I never really though about over in Japan and how they feel about it. ...and now I'm curious...again. :3

...I never though about that. I never really though about over in Japan and how they feel about it. ...and now I'm curious...again. :3

Last thing I heard was that the Japanese FE fanbase generally had the same complaints and arguments going on as the Western one.

AKA, they're not all that relevant to the silent majority.

I'm still super hyped for the games no matter what. I have a friend who's interested in Fates since he really liked Awakening but he doesn't feel interested enough to get the games on launch date. He's somewhat heard about the controversies and some aspects of the game that might be removed, but he wasn't all that fazed or shocked that skinships would be removed, probably because he hasn't seen enough of it to care.

But when I mentioned My Castle and the customization involved, that pretty much sold him for sure.

So it all boils down to how much research and exposure you have towards these games that I feel like if I did find out things would be removed without knowing much about the game, I wouldn't care even more about the removal. Like I had to record everyone's skinship lines and upload it to my youtube in order to somewhat enjoy the experience.

I guess I'm a bit more optimistic in that there are still plenty of resources and footage online that I can check those out and just dream for what could have been. Of course, that isn't the same as experiencing it with the game in front of you, but at least there's that.

I agree with all this. I'm excited to potentially get the feature, but I've also played plenty of previous FE games without getting to pet the characters, and I enjoyed them as games just fine.

Your friend sounds like the average FE consumer, and that's a refreshing viewpoint to read here. I see a lot of posters holding their breath that this issue will drive game sales one way or the other, or if skinship is in it'll spell the end of the games journalism establishment. Honestly, nobody cares. The number of people checking serenes and gamefaqs and reddit every day about this game is a slice of a slice of the market. I'm pretty sure Kotaku could refrain from publishing another word about Fates and it wouldn't substantially impact their traffic. The days where the target audience keeps itself informed on the internet aren't here yet.

Has there been a confirmatiom by Nintendo? "Oh no I can't skinship I cri" I am on both sides. Fine is it is there still and fine if theres not. This feature is not game changing to me and that won't make me not buy the game because idc. If it is there, thats cool.

Well Grayson still didn't specifically give us what he asked to warrant each response, but regardless, I think I'm just going to accept that it's gone now. Apparently you could only do skinship twice a day anyway, but Nintendo of America is one less thing I'm gonna miss once I'm back with my family in Japan lmao.

And to think I once wanted to join a localization team. I'm more angry they haven't given out an official response, but seeing as there's no evidence to support it's still in it wouldn't make sense if the only 'fakers' were people who didn't want skinship.

Well Grayson still didn't specifically give us what he asked to warrant each response, but regardless, I think I'm just going to accept that it's gone now. Apparently you could only do skinship twice a day anyway, but Nintendo of America is one less thing I'm gonna miss once I'm back with my family in Japan lmao.

And to think I once wanted to join a localization team. I'm more angry they haven't given out an official response, but seeing as there's no evidence to support it's still in it wouldn't make sense if the only 'fakers' were people who didn't want skinship.

I'm dissapointed then. I thought you had the consideration to be in a localization team but give them a better name and do good.

I KNOW you're not going to do further research regarding Tharja, so you'll have to take my word on this when I say that Tharja embodies a lot of socially awkward people's interactions with people that they find interesting. I still haven't decided whether or not the backlash she gets is sad or hilarious.

Regardless, this is why you get me on your tail when you go into rant mode. You're free to dislike a character, but please have the full picture before doing so!

(it's why I merely dislike Severa, while being quite unhappy with Cordelia)

Actually, getting the full picture before saying ANYTHING is kind of why this topic exists in the first place!

I know Tharja's supports. She constantly abuses others for petty reasons (or in the case of Frederick, claims she is actively abusing him. Naturally she faces absolutely zero consequences for this despite Frederick being the guy who considered Robin to be suspicious simply for laying in the fields. But there is of course no reasons to suspect anything bad from the Plegian mage who joined your army on a whim and actually admits casting harmful spells on you) except in the case of Libra or Nowi were she actually acts semi decent for a change. I think you are interpreting something into her character that isn't meant to be there.

Besides, what kind of excuse could there possibly be for the Voodoo doll thing?

Edit: Well, considering this exchange is merely the result of me making an offhanded mention of Tharja, this is probably as off-topic as it gets. Still, I can't help but be curious what you could possibly see in her. After the folks at IS universally declared Tharja their favourite character, I was sure that her appears and presentation was misleading. Yet, everything I've read suggests that if anything her character is even worse then her presentation makes her look like.

Edited by BrightBow

Well, if Japan generally doesn't like the skinship either, then IS will likely not include it in the next FE. I hope they won't, anyway. And make a better feature instead.

This. Despite not wanting to be left out of an option that another region got, it's not neccessarily something I really want in future titles, either.

Well, if Japan generally doesn't like the skinship either, then IS will likely not include it in the next FE. I hope they won't, anyway. And make a better feature instead.

If Japan isn't too much of a fan and a good amount of people here aren't either, then it's pretty likely. If they do replace it next game...we have tons of idea already for replacements (cards anyone :P )!

At least those who want this feature have 3 different versions of Fates to play this across (if it's still in the game).

Ive been watching this thread for a while and I wanted to make an account to chime in.

I know that a lot of people believe that that if it turns out that Kotaku is lying it means that people can bring their feet to the fire. The thing is all they will say if it turns out false is that they misunderstood or were misinformed. If it was anyone else I might have actually believed them, but I think all that will happen is people will be reminded that you shouldn't trust them. Then after this incident has been forgotten they will do some sensationalist piece again. I think the worst that will happen is that Nintendo will blacklist them.

As for Nintendo's lack of a response I thought of a possibility. Nintendo is letting the story go around and then latter will come out and say that the feature is still in but toned down. That way those that were upset will be more satisfied as it is better than it not being in there at all and Nintendo still gets to censor it. Of course there is always a possibility that Nintendo is just being stupid.

I am really glad you are all being skeptical of the whole situation either way. Everywhere else seems to be taking everything at face value.