Polygon confirms: bathhouses, swim suits are still in.

Supercredit

FINALLY someone says it!

I agreee with so much. This double standard is just wrong.

Not only that, but if you take into considerarion how much insecure and fragile Takumi and Leo are, one could say you're taking advantage of them in the same way you're taking advantage Sakura and Elise.

But have someone ever pointed this out? Probably not, because their insecurity and fragility is one the reason the considered "cute" and "attractive".

One thing I've never understood is why insecurity is considered "cute" and "attractive". Insecurity is one of the most fucking annoying traits that could ever exist. I can put up with insecurity if it's a very close friend or a brother/sister, but when it comes to someone I want to be in a relationship with insecurity is a big fucking turn-off. Not just for me, but for several people, too.

And yes, it does come off as awfully true that with the little brothers' various issues, it does feel like you're taking advantage of them in a way.

Edited by Sunwoo

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've never understood is why insecurity is considered "cute" and "attractive". Insecurity is one of the most fucking annoying traits that could ever exist. I can put up with insecurity if it's a very close friend or a brother/sister, but when it comes to someone I want to be in a relationship with insecurity is a big fucking turn-off. Not just for me, but for several people, too.

And yes, it does come off as awfully true that with the little brothers' various issues, it does feel like you're taking advantage of them in a way.

Maybe I had this discussion with you or someone else on the forum but I think people are often attracted to people who need them in some way. A person with weaknesses or insecurities is an opportunity for you to leap in and be their hero. At least, that's how it often works for guys and the "moe" genre. I assume girls have different ideas about what personality traits make someone attractive.

I don't think people would enjoy dating a guy with as much baggage as Takumi, in real life.

I don't think it's that uncommon. The person in question may be happy for someone to depend on them (especially if they have insecurities of their own) or for the hope of them to change them in some way. In regards to much more negative connotations, being in a relationship with a subservient or submissive person.

Edited by Tryhard

Maybe I had this discussion with you or someone else on the forum but I think people are often attracted to people who need them in some way. A person with weaknesses or insecurities is an opportunity for you to leap in and be their hero. At least, that's how it often works for guys and the "moe" genre. I assume girls have different ideas about what personality traits make someone attractive.

I don't think people would enjoy dating a guy with as much baggage as Takumi, in real life.

Probably because it's a lot easier to be the hero for a scripted video game character who will be 'fixed' for lack of a better word at some point during the story or their personal (and again, scripted) development than it is to be the hero for a real life person for whom overcoming their issues can take years of therapy and patient understanding with no guarantee of it ever truly going away. Video games are fantasy and escapism after all, much easier to live out those dreams where you can cheat and look up a walkthrough on how to do it.

I once heard that fragile and insecure boys are so popular with girls because they don't usually see a man display weakness, so they are easier "dominate" that a manly man.

They also love fragile and insecure boys because the are more likely to become dependent on their girlfriends.

You know, just how the girls that protection are popular with guys.

Have you noticed the double standard here?

I think I did have this conversation with you, NekoKnight, or at least someone on this forum. And I agree that the idea of being able to be a person someone you care about can depend on can be quite thrilling. … Except if you have a history of befriending people with serious insecurity issues, then it really just becomes the most annoying personality trait, ever.

I have friends, both online and IRL, who have serious insecurity problems. And it seriously is the most annoying thing in the world because no matter what I tell them, how often I tell them, they'll never believe you. It's something that's just beyond the scope of most people's abilities. Takumi doesn't bother me partly because I can understand where his insecurity is coming from and he is relatable in some aspects. As a younger brother, he comes off as someone you want to encourage and help through his issues … but I wouldn't want to date someone with insecurities that crippling.

EDIT:

@Water Mage: Personally, I find insecurity to be a very annoying trait in everyone -- male or female. By that, I don't mean the normal type of insecurity, but when a person/character is so insecure that they just need to be protected by everyone.

Edited by Sunwoo

While I will be avoiding any of the sibling pairings I do think Leo and Takumi have some things going for them to make them less awkward than the little sisters.

Sakura and Elise adore their big brother, look after him a great deal and because they are pretty weak Corrin does have a protective role to play. This can make romance awkward.

Leo and Takumi on the other hand strike me as "little" brothers in name only. Default Corrin doesn't strike me as much older than they are. Corrin is older but probably only a year or so.

But more importantly is how Corrin has less big brotherly duties towards the little bros . Leon in particular seems all around more capable then Corrin. Its Leo who is the prodigy, Leo who has to hush Corrin when he's rash and with him going behind Garon's back in the intro we can safely say its Leo who takes care of Corrin. From what I've seen Corrin does not get to act like a "big" brother.

This goes for Takumi to a lesser extend. In their supports its Corrin who seeks Takumi's aproval and its little brother Takumi who trains big brother Corrin.

Corrin has no need to take care of his little brothers and they don't expect him to. That and their similiar age makes it a pairing in which the participants are on a more equal footing.

I think I did have this conversation with you, NekoKnight, or at least someone on this forum. And I agree that the idea of being able to be a person someone you care about can depend on can be quite thrilling. … Except if you have a history of befriending people with serious insecurity issues, then it really just becomes the most annoying personality trait, ever.

I have friends, both online and IRL, who have serious insecurity problems. And it seriously is the most annoying thing in the world because no matter what I tell them, how often I tell them, they'll never believe you. It's something that's just beyond the scope of most people's abilities. Takumi doesn't bother me partly because I can understand where his insecurity is coming from and he is relatable in some aspects. As a younger brother, he comes off as someone you want to encourage and help through his issues … but I wouldn't want to date someone with insecurities that crippling.

EDIT:

@Water Mage: Personally, I find insecurity to be a very annoying trait in everyone -- male or female. By that, I don't mean the normal type of insecurity, but when a person/character is so insecure that they just need to be protected by everyone.

It's pretty much how Phillius said above. Working through a video game character's insecurities is as simple and assured as clicking through some conversations. Real life on the other hand requires patience and there are no promises of improvement. A lot of 'anime' tropes don't translate well into real life.

A tsundere in real life is just a girl who is rude and hard to please.

While I will be avoiding any of the sibling pairings I do think Leo and Takumi have some things going for them to make them less awkward than the little sisters.

Sakura and Elise adore their big brother, look after him a great deal and because they are pretty weak Corrin does have a protective role to play. This can make romance awkward.

Leo and Takumi on the other hand strike me as "little" brothers in name only. Default Corrin doesn't strike me as much older than they are. Corrin is older but probably only a year or so.

But more importantly is how Corrin has less big brotherly duties towards the little bros . Leon in particular seems all around more capable then Corrin. Its Leo who is the prodigy, Leo who has to hush Corrin when he's rash and with him going behind Garon's back in the intro we can safely say its Leo who takes care of Corrin. From what I've seen Corrin does not get to act like a "big" brother.

This goes for Takumi to a lesser extend. In their supports its Corrin who seeks Takumi's aproval and its little brother Takumi who trains big brother Corrin.

Corrin has no need to take care of his little brothers and they don't expect him to. That and their similiar age makes it a pairing in which the participants are on a more equal footing.

Interesting observation but I understood Kamui's relationship with Takumi a little bit differently. Rather than be subservient by weakness of personality, I think Kamui was being humble to ask for Takumi's approval. He could just tell Takumi to deal with it but he's trying to find common ground with him.

Edited by NekoKnight

Actually, if you read their skinship lines after you marry them, Leo and Takumi come off as even more clingy and dependant on Female Corrin than Sakura and Elise if they marry Male Corrin. Actually, out of all spouses in the game, Leo and Takumi seems to be some of the most dependent on Corrin.

Now that I think about it, there seems to be more characters dependent and obsessed with Female Corrin than Male Corrin.

Edited by Water Mage

Actually, if you read their skinship lines after you marry them, Leo and Takumi come off as even more clingy and dependant on Female Corrin than Sakura and Elise if they marry Male Corrin. Actually, out of all spouses in the game, Leo and Takumi seems to be some of the most dependent on Corrin.

Now that I think about it, there seems to be more characters dependent and obsessed with Female Corrin than Male Corrin.

I've noticed that the "I can help/change him" mentality applies more to females than males. Just look to the endless sea of Draco Malfoy fangirls as an example, not to mention the countless fanfictions in which he gets redeemed and/or paired with Harry, Hermione or (god forbid) someone's self-insert OC. Hell, Rowling herself finds the sheer number of them unnerving.

Don't forget Rhajat and Niles, who can be really clingy and dependant on BOTH Corrins. Some may argue that Niles is even more dependant on the Corrins, whether male or female, than Rhajat; I may be wrong on this, but I don't remember her saying "please hold my hand when I'm asleep" and similar stuff, like Niles does.

Edited by My Blue Sky

So it sounds like the fucked-up power dynamics between sexes that I'd desperately want to see gone. In which case, either upscale every kid-looking character's age, or leave them all alone.

i'm sure in the US release, Midoriko will be a 30 year old who just looks like she's 10

@nordopolica:

I find it hard to believe that EVERY SINGLE ONE of Kamui's siblings would reciprocate feelings as well. For the Hoshido siblings, while one could argue that Kamui falling in love with them can make sense because Kamui didn't even realize they existed until recently, the younger three Hoshidan siblings at the least have grown up believing Kamui was their true sibling. Who says they reciprocate? And the younger two Nohrian siblings at least may well have grown up WITH Kamui, who says they reciprocate?

This game just fucked up hard by trying to let people have their cake and eat it too. Speaking of which, I just had some cake. It is WAY too fucking sweet and I don't want to eat it all, nor can I. Which is basically the Fates cake.

one thing to note is that in Kamui's support with Camilla, he... doesn't quite seem to reciprocate her feelings at all. It seems pretty one sided and... it's pretty much "creepy yandere sister wants her brother to do things/get in bath with her." in the S rank he's basically like "what the fuck why you're my sister"

now I want cake

I didn't particularly care about it (sans it explained a bit) but I wouldn't have gotten angry about it tbh.

I do have to say, if Leo and Takumi were made appealing to girls in the first place

Were they planning the S-rankability early into the game development?

I wouldn't doubt it, honestly. judging by the fact that pretty much every character in the game can marry the avatar, some not even having any other supports... it seems like it was among their top priorities.

I've noticed that the "I can help/change him" mentality applies more to females than males. Just look to the endless sea of Draco Malfoy fangirls as an example, not to mention the countless fanfictions in which he gets redeemed and/or paired with Harry, Hermione or (god forbid) someone's self-insert OC. Hell, Rowling herself finds the sheer number of them unnerving.

let's name all our avatars enoby

Edited by maybe

one thing to note is that in Kamui's support with Camilla, he... doesn't quite seem to reciprocate her feelings at all. It seems pretty one sided and... it's pretty much "creepy yandere sister wants her brother to do things/get in bath with her." in the S rank he's basically like "what the fuck why you're my sister"

now I want cake

Reminds me of ArthurxCamilla.

Despite having neutral feelings for each other and no love development. After doing redundant comedic support that show no character development. Arthur thinks he's developed feelings and Camilla just goes "You know what? F*ck it."

I find this kind of stuff annoys the shit out of me, when characters have no interest in anything, but because you supported, poof, it happens. It's shit design. It would make sense if they were just true friend's and the female adopted the child while the male acts like a father figure/uncle and teaches the child to fight. See, it's not hard to create scenarios that aren't half arsed like their's no effort put in. Not everyone needs to marry everyone and be intimate. It makes me so angry. This game could be so much better.

Edited by Great Geargia Gateway

So, how would you guys interpret Nyx's support with Corrin?

I would like to know this, and how people generally look at Nyx. We look at Nowi with how creepy she is because of her young appearance, but Nyx seems more complex. I would be curious to see what everyone thinks of this character.

Edited by Tolvir

Nyx was actually my #1 choice for wife on first run, but then I realized than playing Male Corrin and marrying a 1st Gen girl locks you out permanently on a map and a 2nd Gen character, so I switched to marry a 2nd Gen character since I want a full roster on first run.

I'm torn between Ophelia and Velour right now. I'll probably just let things happen and pick whichever gets the S-Support first.

After trying to read this whole thread, I'm confused....where did the topic go again? XD

....I think after all this endless crap/salt/outrage/salt/backlash/salt/praise/salt/craziness and lots and lots of salt, I'll just try to hope that the localization has made any improvements over the original and be glad that so far we're being given a mostly un-cut game, whether or not people agree.

Kinda just want to talk with people about what they're interested or excited about without having opinions yelled at and it turning into an endless debate.... :(

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU M*THERF*KERS!"

It was... Bantu!

Anyway, the thing about insecurity being an attractive trait in a video game is, besides the fact that it's much easier to "fix" than in real life, is also a matter of distant observation. A lot of people find it cute or endearing to observe through a computer screen because they have full control over when and how they interact with the character, and are never going to have to devote their life to that person. Many of those people would find that kind of insecurity extremely frustrating if they had to deal with it in real life.

Which can be sometimes dangerous and hurt the insecure person even further if someone pursues a relationship with them under the assumption that they'll be easy to fix and endearing. "Ugh, you're nothing like my fantasy! I'm done with you."

Damn you Phillius.

Two can play at this game. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well written incest will have to wait for fanfiction.

ASK, AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE! Srsly though, i am going to work on an interesting retelling of Conquest.

I speak from experience. Being in relationship with someone that insecure and needy was the most draining and awful thing that ever happened to me. Its like a kind of slow, awful torture. You are never free of having to constantly pat and reassure that person. You are never free to really think for yourself, because the partner believes you are ignoring them if you do. It can feel horribly manipulative and just being around that person can feel like an awful burden. Its unhealthy. Its terrible. Do not recommend. There will be even times you feel like you want to gnaw your own leg off to get free of it.

Insecurity isnt cute at all.

Which can be sometimes dangerous and hurt the insecure person even further if someone pursues a relationship with them under the assumption that they'll be easy to fix and endearing. "Ugh, you're nothing like my fantasy! I'm done with you."

I feel the fantasy of "changing a person" like that or wanting constant contact like that from the insecure person, to be really harmful. In fiction, its interesting to watch characters like this and see them interact with other characters. But the carryover into real life is an unwelcome and disturbing one.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson