Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

I've got a question.

For those of us doing competitive, has Ditto IV breeding been made obsolete thanks to Bottle Caps, or are we sticking to Dittos and using Bottle Caps to fill any holes? I assume the later since Bottle Caps are a pain to grind, and require lv 100 in a game where its hard to grind that high.

Either way I also kinda just wanted to ask of anyone has an extra 6iv Ditto. Not that those just... lay around, but its really frustrating to chain for them. I don't have anywhere near the patience for it.

I have good natured Buzzwoles, Xurkitrees and Kartanas, along with (non-6iv) Modest Drought Torkoals with Eruption and Clear Smog.

... yeah I know I don't have much. Not much I can do about it atm.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd definitely say breeding is not dead. You still need to breed for natures and of course, grinding to level 100 in this game is really, really painful. Bottle caps are rare enough that you definitely will have a hard time using it to make a whole team with perfect IVs, let alone multiples (although there is a way to farm them if you have enough Festival coins).

At first i thought bottle caps were great, but now I am pretty sure that breeding is the way to go. It is so much easier than grinding to Level 100, or even attaining bottle caps.

Also chaining 4 IV ditto is actually pretty mindless task. After you set it up, all you have to do is press A or L with one hand. here is the vid. done it 3 times. Failed one time cause i got swept by an imposter, caught a shiny in the second run and another run just to get best SpA and Def IV's.

The payday is unnecessary IMO, but nice if you want to make money.

Edited by SlayerX

I know of the method. I'm just lazy and impatient. I caught one earlier with 3 perfect ivs.

Also, wait does the method actually go up to 6 ivs or not? You, uh, said 4iv.

(Also i got frustrated because my momento user leveled up and got a move and that REALLY hurts my want to grind for one now)

Speaking of breeding, how did nature and IV breeding go again? It's been ages since I looked into breeding pokemon. In part because I don't do it a lot due to not being a fan of competitive pokemon lol

I have a Vulpix i could give you with Snow Warning and freeze-dry, encore, and moonblast. I will have to look again but most if not all are timid too. Ok, ust looked, so I have a freeze dry Vulpix with the other 2 egg moves, it has best in HP, spA, spD and spe.

Alternatively, I have one with just encore and moonblast, and timid nature (female too so you can reliably pass on snow warning) with Best in all stats but attk.

Huh. I meant to offer help to you in case you needed it but got an amazing offer thrown at me instead xD (in hindsight, should have realized I would be late with it lol)

That's not something I can say no to. Sadly I don't have anything worthwhile to trade for. Probably best I can offer is a Feebas with nothing special about it.

I'm not picky, anything's fine. Contact me if/when you're ready to trade.

If you've got extras of those Play Rough Bounsweets, I would like one as well. I only noticed yesterday how barren Tsareena's own moveset is for type variety... Can't really offer anything big in return though.

Nature is random unless you Everstone on the nature you want then its.... guaranteed iirc?

IV is picked randomly between 2 parents. at 3 IV. If you use Destiny Knot it would be 5 IV

Just as an extra basically the recipe for proper breeding is 2 pokemon with 5 perfect IV placed on every area you want, saccing 1 area, one holding Everstone, and having the nature you want, and another holding Destiny Knot

Nature is random unless you Everstone on the nature you want then its.... guaranteed iirc?

Yeah, a parent holding an Everstone will pass down their nature 100% of the time.

Edited by AzureSen

8RHK76.jpg

kxAnFi.jpgOCPJtY.jpg

z0zQwP.jpgwHL1cz.jpg

It can be a hero for events that has long passed. x.x

-----

It's even easier to EV train with the grass patch battles like on Route 2 with the Yugoos. Getting easy Attk EV. Just only got one more team to do and I'm done!

Edited by PuffPuff

Just as an extra basically the recipe for proper breeding is 2 pokemon with 5 perfect IV placed on every area you want, saccing 1 area, one holding Everstone, and having the nature you want, and another holding Destiny Knot

That is the method i have been using. It works pretty well, and it is rather quick.

Huh. I meant to offer help to you in case you needed it but got an amazing offer thrown at me instead xD (in hindsight, should have realized I would be late with it lol)

That's not something I can say no to. Sadly I don't have anything worthwhile to trade for. Probably best I can offer is a Feebas with nothing special about it.

Um i could give you a less impressive one (less IV's or something like missing Freeze-dry). Alternatively you can give me a pokemon from the ones you make at some point in the future (since it seems you are interested in IV and egg move breeding). That could work too.

I just got a new computer so i might be slow to reply.

Edited by SlayerX

So to get perfect IVs for breeding, is the best way to just catch dittos and hope they have perfect IV, then breed from there? Also, where can I check what IV a pokemon has?

Um i could give you a less impressive one (less IV's or something like missing Freeze-dry). Alternatively you can give me a pokemon from the ones you make at some point in the future (since it seems you are interested in IV and egg move breeding). That could work too.

To be honest I would rather not make a future promise since my breeding will be really slow (I'm doing it for my own amusement more than anything, when I'll have free time). I'll be posting in the trade thread if I manage to breed something interesting though.

Anyways, I finally got a female Vulpix with Snow Warning (after... I think 18 males in a row lol) and I can breed freeze-dry myself now. That's what I mostly cared about so I guess I won't need one after all.

LVfjXal.png

welp got my first fully evolved pokemon, on my way to the grass trial

*Giggle*

Nice.

My Toucannon was the first to evolve and that giving it Bullet Seed was the best decision to make for it's 120 base beast attk. Just your average Staraptor.

So to get perfect IVs for breeding, is the best way to just catch dittos and hope they have perfect IV, then breed from there? Also, where can I check what IV a pokemon has?

Beat the game Breed/Hatch 20 eggs, go to the battle tree area. Talk to the guy standing next to the facility/pc box. He will give you the capability of checking your IV's.

Also, breeding for all perfect IV's might take a long time. Since one IV will always be randomized at best. I'd suggest you decide which stat is not that necessary, and then be content with only 5 perfect IV's in the stats that really matter...

BTW, chaining dittos will guarantee 4 Best IV's after ~50 kills. I think SOS chaining maxes out at 4 Best Iv's. If you catch 2 and they have 2 different Best IV's, then you will easily be able to make 5 IV parents, and the rest is just looking for the correct nature.

I know of the method. I'm just lazy and impatient. I caught one earlier with 3 perfect ivs.

Also, wait does the method actually go up to 6 ivs or not? You, uh, said 4iv.

(Also i got frustrated because my momento user leveled up and got a move and that REALLY hurts my want to grind for one now)

I think i have heard the maximum be 4 IV's through chaining... I think the 6IV in the title is just clickbait. Either way the thing works which is why i posted it anyway.

Also, the levelling thing happened to me too. XD stupid grimer learned more moves, so i just levelled him to like level 50 and deleted all of his moves again. It was dumb

Edited by SlayerX

If you've got extras of those Play Rough Bounsweets, I would like one as well. I only noticed yesterday how barren Tsareena's own moveset is for type variety... Can't really offer anything big in return though.

I've still got some left, although I have more with leaf guard than oblivious at this point. I'm not picky about stuff, anything's fine. PM me when you want to trade.

Edited by Sunwoo

Man I still need to get Sun, every time I go to get it I swear something happens

- Goes, check can't be cashed

- Ride doesn't show up

- Cashes Check, but then its sold out at every game place (even Moon was)

Will I ever get it I wonder, I don't want to get it digitally, oops.

Man I still need to get Sun, every time I go to get it I swear something happens

- Goes, check can't be cashed

- Ride doesn't show up

- Cashes Check, but then its sold out at every game place (even Moon was)

Will I ever get it I wonder, I don't want to get it digitally, oops.

Get them at Target.

They're plentiful for them being less of an attraction than Gamestop which I have seen every copy sold out for the past several weeks in four Gamestops that I've went to till I've found a bunch at Target.

Let's see. Over the course of my Nuzlocke, all the people and 'mons that are now on my shit list is as follows:

- The teacher at the Trainer School for killing my Pikipek

- A random Mudsbray for critical killing my Rattata

- A wild flying toilet Pelipper for killing my Charjabug

- Hau for killing my Oricorio

- Nanu for killing my Taurus

- Some random Gumshoo for killing my Snorunt

- Another flying toilet for killing my Magnemite

- Olivia for killing my Shiinotic

A special place on my shit list is reserved for the Alolan Geodude that Self Destructed when I desperately needed her on my team. Also, I'm beginning to hate Water types because 2/3 of the usable 'mons in my PC are Water, and I don't need them because I still have my stater, Primarina.

*sigh*

Will I ever get it

Yeah. I can see the future, don't sweat it.

40i9xjb.png

i'll stop giving updates because nobody wants to hear it but this is my party right now

i didn't think i'd have a full party by island 2

wait what did you name your growlithe after i think i know but i need to know

Also the hard part isn't getting a full party, it's deciding who to keep in your party. =(

Let's see. Over the course of my Nuzlocke, all the people and 'mons that are now on my shit list is as follows:

- The teacher at the Trainer School for killing my Pikipek

- A random Mudsbray for critical killing my Rattata

- A wild flying toilet Pelipper for killing my Charjabug

- Hau for killing my Oricorio

- Nanu for killing my Taurus

- Some random Gumshoo for killing my Snorunt

- Another flying toilet for killing my Magnemite

- Olivia for killing my Shiinotic

A special place on my shit list is reserved for the Alolan Geodude that Self Destructed when I desperately needed her on my team. Also, I'm beginning to hate Water types because 2/3 of the usable 'mons in my PC are Water, and I don't need them because I still have my stater, Primarina.

*sigh*

Just curious since you're the first person that I know who's nuzlocking the game, but how has it been so far? How tough was everyone?

Edited by Refa

wait what did you name your growlithe after i think i know but i need to know

There's an anime called Casshern/Casshern Sins. The MC has a canine friend named Friender.

Just curious since you're the first person that I know who's nuzlocking the game, but how has it been so far? How tough was everyone?

It's been challenging. For me, at least.

Like most nuzlockes, it mainly came down to which 'mons I managed to run across, being careful about their health before going into battle and praying fervently to Lady Luck for mercy. Battle items such as the X. boosts are practically mandatory; the SOS battles make my butt cheeks clench because the more prolonged the battle, the higher chance a critical will knock out one of my 'mons; and any time a trainer uses a Z-move, I just went ahead and said goodbye to that particular 'mon.

The affection system has saved my butt on many occasions, and it has made training up newer members easier but I'm still paranoid. As I posted earlier, Nanu managed to OHKO my Taurus (lvl. 43) with his Persian, and I've been scrambling trying to add a member to my three-'mon crew since then. I just barely got through the Aether Paradise section with my Primarina, Torkoal and Espeon, and I'm desperately hoping to get something decent when I reach Poni Island because I've been crapping out when it comes to 'mons. I can't keep going through the game on the back of three 'mons, man.

There's an anime called Casshern/Casshern Sins. The MC has a canine friend named Friender.

YES I KNEW IT

...Well, I really only actually knew about it because of this, but still!!

It's been challenging. For me, at least.

Like most nuzlockes, it mainly came down to which 'mons I managed to run across, being careful about their health before going into battle and praying fervently to Lady Luck for mercy. Battle items such as the X. boosts are practically mandatory; the SOS battles make my butt cheeks clench because the more prolonged the battle, the higher chance a critical will knock out one of my 'mons; and any time a trainer uses a Z-move, I just went ahead and said goodbye to that particular 'mon.

The affection system has saved my butt on many occasions, and it has made training up newer members easier but I'm still paranoid. As I posted earlier, Nanu managed to OHKO my Taurus (lvl. 43) with his Persian, and I've been scrambling trying to add a member to my three-'mon crew since then. I just barely got through the Aether Paradise section with my Primarina, Torkoal and Espeon, and I'm desperately hoping to get something decent when I reach Poni Island because I've been crapping out when it comes to 'mons. I can't keep going through the game on the back of three 'mons, man.

Man, that sounds brutal but actually would make for an interesting playthrough (in the same way that Gen 1 crit rates make for an interesting nuzlocke, the salt inducing way; of course, there's other qualities that make SuMo more preferable but now I'm just rambling).

That sounds really rough, man. At that point, I'd just recommend grinding up literally any benched Pokemon you have that helps w/type coverage. Yeah, grinding is lame and boring, but sometimes you just gotta do it. It's really cool that affection helped so much though, because I feel like that's half of what nuzlockes are all about (getting super attached to your Pokemon before/if they die).

[spoiler=Shiny Vikavolt]tumblr_oi437bvUVk1s8o79no1_540.jpg

Shiny Grubbin caught, only to have the worst possible nature.... grumble grumble ;_;

Say hello to my shiny modest Rufflet from Poke Pelago. A shiny's still a shiny though!