QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confucius.

We wouldn't be talking or studying about this initially unsuccessful "philosopher", if it weren't for the Qin state killing all the people who could've potentially became bureaucrats. Since Confucianism provided Han Wudi a curriculum to teach unqualified people to become bureaucrats, he was able to use it to develop his bureaucracy. This was because Han Wudi needed people to govern his newly conquered land.

Due to this, Confucian teachings and values continued into later eras as a primary curriculum and basis for teaching in schools in Eastern countries. It also had some sort of influence into Eastern culture. This is evident with the high moral standard to show respect for one another and having to respect those older than you.

However, we fail to point out how Confucius' teachings kind of discriminated against women. Some of his teachings emphasized men as the absolute authority in a household. So a single woman had to obey to the authority of her father. If the father was dead, then her brother. Once she's married, the authority shifts onto her husband. Then, once he's deceased her sons. It also forced women into domestic roles.

Of course, this is way different today. There's much less discrimination, which I don't think even stem from this outdated system of thinking. It probably evolved from the marks it left on the culture, but not directly from Confucius' teachings if there's any form of that discrimination.

Though, I just wanted to address, why do so many people find Confucius so important?

He was unsuccessful himself. He never sustained the government job he wanted and died with little success. He did have followers, but the general public did not care much for his teachings during his time. But, his legacy lived along with increased popularity because the Qin emperor comes along and was like "kill all the smart people, they can challenge me" which made it necessary for people to be educated. He may have burnt Confucian books, but the people really hated the Qin emperor's system of rule. Then Liu Bang was all like "Mandate of Heaven, I'm the new Emperor now." He reigns, and goes. But, one of his future successors named Han Wudi was all like "This guy from a long time ago, says that these things will make a good government. Gonna use this as a basis for who should run MY government." So, Han Wudi does his thing and conquers shit and have people govern what he conquered. Now let's fast forward into the future, China just fell again and now the people are like "This Confucius shit isn't working, why does our government keep getting fucked up?" and they've lost all faith in Confucianism and seeked other ways to govern.

tl;dr Confucius was some unsuccessful government official who thought the government was dumb, and had an opinion that some people liked. So, they wanted to learn from him, which led to his opinions and ideas getting recorded. Then, some future emperor finds these teachings and trusts this old dude in the past that listed things on what make a good government, in order to make his government great. This leads to Confucius' legacy and ideas to continue into Eastern culture for some reason, even though, later dynasties gave up on it because of how ineffective it was. But, he survived in the Eastern education system and that's the reason people remember him.

So...why do people like Confucius again? He literally did nothing, but state his opinions and philosophy on stuff. It just so happened people recorded what he said, what he said survived and Han Wudi just so happened to have found something that said what he said and used it as a guide on how to run his government.

I could complain about quite a few, but I'll actually go for one that I'd likely get smacked for.

I think Micheal Collins is overrated, in the sense that he's considered an iconic figure and would have been a great leader if only he hadn't been shot during the Civil War on the orders of Dev (The Dev part is a fabrication from that 90's movie, just to be clear). The thing is that he gets a lot of credit for things that were under other's responsibilities, especially in relation to the military (one of these in particular does not get enough imo). I don't think he would have been a terrible ruler, far from it. But I think that is because he was able to delegate well, not because he was amazing at everything.

and as much as it is sacrilege to say, William Wallace. Much of his success such as his most famous victory at the Battle of Stirling Bridge was only possible due to Andrew Moray, who barely even gets mentioned because he died from wounds after the battle. He then lost the Battle of Falkirk and spent the remainder of his time in hiding until he was betrayed and executed in England. The reason he's one of the most well-known Scottish figures is both due to Blind Harry's poem about him almost 175 years after his death (exaggerated and more than likely mostly untrue) and modern representations of him like Braveheart.

While I wouldn't exactly call him "overrated" as he was still a pivotal person in the Scottish Wars of Independence, Robert the Bruce was far more successful and notable.

Edited by Tryhard

FUCKING General Douglas MacArthur. A total liability in the Kokoda campaign, with no faith in the Australian militia who were routinely outperforming his own regulars.

Edited by Parrhesia

most people in official history would be

personally, i'm convinced that people like leonardo da vinci had teams behind them

agree with the first part

the second part makes sense but it wouldn't really make me think any less of those people. probably makes them look better imo because why do everything by yourself, that's stupid.

i've never met any historical figures!

nah but seriously, calling historical figures "overrated" is kinda silly to me

and i don't think history we know is enough to judge people on to say stuff like that but whatever