QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"overrated" I'm guessing means too popular and not actually high opinion-wise bc saying "I think Hitler is overrated" out of context is bound to get some strange looks

I would probably say WW2 axis leaders though but it's understandable due to how recent WW2 has been

idk i guess Columbus then

~underrated historical figures when

HOW THE FUCK DID I GO WITHOUT SAYING ZHUGE LIANG

... anyway

nero as an emperor is pretty underrated, if only because all the bad parts of his emperorship overshadow the good parts

the same goes for caligula except you can more easily define the good parts of his rule as "before he went batshit crazy"

Emperor Tiberius probably. He's often depicted as just barely less of a monster then emperors like Nero and Caligula but its hard to separate truth from slander. Him being Romes best general at the time and leaving the Roman treasury overflowing with gold after his reign also indicate solid abilities on his part.

Another Roman would be Crassus. He's arguably much better remembered for his final defeat than for being the richest man in Rome who defeated Spartacus and had half the senate in his pocket. Though perhaps that series about Spartacus changes that a little.

King William III. He was one of the two most important men of his time and he steered England into the right direction in its parliamentary history. Despite this he's all but forgotten in his Dutch homeland and not given the credit he's due in England.

Napoleon by virtue of all those Hitler comparisons even existing in the first place. Its hard to imagine anything more damming to the former and flattering for the latter.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I don't know who's "most" underrated, but I have to name my biases Julius Nepos, Constantine XI, Constantine Graitzas Palaiologos.

I'm going to go with Constantine Graitzas Palaiologos. There's all these stories about "true Romans", "heroes of Rome", who fought bravely for the Roman Empire etc. but he doesn't get any credit, even though he held the very last city in the legitimate-ruled Empire (i.e. not the Empire of Trebizond) and he managed to continue to hold out against the Ottomans for a whole year after the rest of the Empire had already fallen.

I'm surprised we haven't seen blah or Hatt in this thread, yet.

I posted right after you!

John Cooke is a fucking hero. He was the lawyer who secured a conviction against King Charles I when most other lawyers literally just fucking fled London at full pace. How do you beat divine right with law? Cooke found a way.

Of course he was later executed for this, and since history is written by the victors he's been the victim of character assassination for generations.

Related, while Oliver Cromwell was Not A Good Person he's definitely been demonised by a broader royalist narrative - same deal with Richard III, because weirdly Shakespeare had a vested interest in smearing the guy who the Queen, his main client, 's grandfather had killed to take the throne.

Edited by Parrhesia

Wu Zetian

While yes, she's gotten her throne through fairly bloody means, as a ruler she was extremely effective and did a lot of good for the Chinese people overall, and her ruthlessness only extended to her political enemies, which isn't too uncommon looking at the broader history of the Chinese imperial court.

Chinese historians of the past have often discredited her accomplishments and focused on her path to power and sexual partners (and let's be real, emperor harems sometimes number in the thousands, this is Chinese historical sexism at its finest) and it's only more recently that her reign is given a more objective look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter

i'll just drop his page here

QOTD 1068 - F͉̹̯̟̺̼a̴̟̥̜̥͎̫ͥͦ̌v͖̬͈̞͓̿͂ͯ̑ͨo͇̩̙̥ͫ̍ṟ̪̺̳̭͐ͯ̆̈́i̼̺̯̖͆͡t̤͚̹̦͔͔̗͡e̹̥͉̞ͮ̈͐ͥ̾̄̕ ̧̳̥̠̺̤̤͍ͪ͐̈́̓͑͊L̟͕ͪõ̲̺ͭ͛̆̚̚v̗̹̱̦̬͛̾ͦͭ̾ͬ̄ẻ̞̗̻ͭ̐̂͑̿̄c̪̯̙̠̗̥̙ͯ͌̌r̛͓͍̻ͮͯ̉ͭ̋a͚̼̦̦̹͒ͧͅͅf̼̭̤͎͑̔͋͞ͅt̞͓̭̫̭ͬͨ̃̚͜ ͇̭͗̽̾̍ś̯͙̺̟̝̼̊ͤ͗ͦh͏͈̖̭̺̗̺o͓̣̖̅ͬͫ̅͐r̡̞͇̊ͭ̈́̄̀ͭ̆t̀ ̤̣͚̟̥ͪ̄̉̃͜s̔̓ͥ̆t͈̂̔̉̀o͚͉͇̝̅r̠̭͑ͪ̃̾̍́y͇̌͞?̴͙ͤ̏̃