Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

It appears that Heroes just has flagrant disregard for unique canon classes in favor of what is popular. I'm surprised we got f!Morgan as a non-seasonal flying mage before we got Aversa. And even if Reina isn't super popular, kinshi Hinoka over either her or even Takumi is a bit odd.

• Replies 77.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

It appears that Heroes just has flagrant disregard for unique canon classes in favor of what is popular. I'm surprised we got f!Morgan as a non-seasonal flying mage before we got Aversa. And even if Reina isn't super popular, kinshi Hinoka over either her or even Takumi is a bit odd.

They can also go the other way, like Faye... I mean she has just about every other weapon available to her and they choose one of the few she can't wield? Uhhhh... okay? 

...But Tobin has a sword because... um... reasons? 

Oh yeah, Faye not only has a bow in this game ... but she also comes with a rare bow that she can't really wield to its maximum potential. Being +spd doesn't really help her out either, since it still puts her at a measly 28 speed. Tobin should've come with Faye's bow (and a better speed stat to use it), and Faye could've been a healer. Perhaps she could've had a unique healing ability that works like anew, that has a 5-turn cooldown but lets the person she heals move again. (And it can't be used on dancers to be fair.)

Also, alt!Olwen is kind of weird. She wields green magic, which seems to still be thunder-themed despite green magic being wind. I get that they didn't want to give her the holy word and put three red units on the focus banner, that would've been terrible. But still, lol. I still pulled all four of the Thracia units on their debut, though, but my luck hasn't been the best since.

56 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Also, alt!Olwen is kind of weird. She wields green magic, which seems to still be thunder-themed despite green magic being wind. I get that they didn't want to give her the holy word and put three red units on the focus banner, that would've been terrible. But still, lol.

The JP name for the tome basically means "Lightning Tornado" (I think), evoking both wind and thunder.  The English name "Thunderhead" is another term for a cumulonimbus cloud, so it's not as directly related to either wind or lightning, but it's still there (thunderstorms are often accompanied by strong winds).

9 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

The JP name for the tome basically means "Lightning Tornado" (I think), evoking both wind and thunder.  The English name "Thunderhead" is another term for a cumulonimbus cloud, so it's not as directly related to either wind or lightning, but it's still there (thunderstorms are often accompanied by strong winds).

Ah, that actually makes more sense. Makes me wonder why they didn't translate Olwen's tome to "Thunderstorm".

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

I've said Geoffrey as a bow knight before, as I always think of him as a bow knight in my head, but people keep insisting he's all about the brave lance or something (I haven't played in a long time, but I always remember using him more for his bow in PoR and more for a lance in RD and don't recall any specific lance).

Well in the Jugdral-inspired world of Tellius, a blue hair horseback lance-using knight starting with a Brave Lance, not exactly a common weapon, I think it is fair to say Geoffrey was inspired by Finn, and part of Finn is his Brave Lance.

They actually dedicate a base conversation to the Brave Lance in RD and canonizes it as Geoffrey's PoR signature weapon:

Spoiler
Elincia (***)

Geoffrey: Your Majesty! What are you doing with that lance?
Elincia: I asked your servant for it, and he gave it to me.
Geoffrey: Why would Your Majesty, as queen, do such a thing? Who knows how tangled the web of rumors could become, because of that…
Elincia: Let the court say what it wishes. You are far more important to me than the whispers of nattering nobles.
Geoffrey: …You don’t need to say that.
Elincia: Geoffrey… I’m sorry.
Geoffrey: I don’t understand. What’s wrong?
Elincia: Three years ago… you fought to free Crimea from the clutches of Daein. While you held this lance, your courage was dauntless and your prowess, legendary.
Geoffrey: Yes. It’s a brave lance, and I’m very proud of it.
Elincia: I… I can’t have you raise the same lance against your fellow people of Crimea. I’m sorry… I just can’t.
Geoffrey: Your Majesty is worried about the shadow it would cast over my name? The dishonor of using that weapon on Crimeans?
Elincia: I would never want to damage your pride as a knight. It would be too much to bear.
Geoffrey: Believe no such thing, Your Majesty. My pride as a knight is most deeply rooted in my service to you. That will never waver, no matter what. Elincia… You know that.
Elincia: Then take your lance. Use it to fight for Crimea once again.

(Obtained Brave Lance)

And if this wasn't enough, if Geoffrey is weaponless as an NPC in 3-10 (why you'd do this I don't know), he gets a full-uses Brave Lance to fight with.

Of course, given how limited the Brave Lance is, it would be very understandable if you didn't actually have him use it that much to conserve uses for later. That would might make you forget how narratively tied to him it is. That and it isn't actually hard-locked to him in either PoR or RD, nothing stopping you from passing it to Marcia or anyone else right away.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And if this wasn't enough, if Geoffrey is weaponless as an NPC in 3-10 (why you'd do this I don't know), he gets a full-uses Brave Lance to fight with.

All Girls run. I thought he was using my Brave Lance.

Clearly Finn needed a personal weapon called Hero's Lance, while Geoffrey can get a personal brave lance called Geoffrey's Lance.

24 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Clearly Finn needed a personal weapon called Hero's Lance, while Geoffrey can get a personal brave lance called Geoffrey's Lance.

Not sure what they would do in Japan though for the name, since Hero and Brave two different translations of the same Japanese character. Fan translations just always preferred calling the consecutive attack weapons "Hero". The same character is used for the Hero class, which explains how someone like Caellach can be allowed in the class, he isn't a moral Hero, he is just courageous/bold/daring, he's a "Brave". Japan could come up with something good though, yay higher language character-information density!

And for Geoffrey, I'd like it be called the Delbray Lance, since that is his noble title- Geoffrey of Delbray. Located in eastern Crimea not too far a journey from the Oribes Bridge that borders Daein, Delbray is battlefield of Chapter 24 PoR: Battle Reunion, where Geoffrey first appears, fights as an NPC, and then joins at the battle's end. So "Delbray Lance" sounds cool to me.

Just please use Geoffrey's RD design! No limey knight! 

2 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Ha, I guess Olwen's on team Star Wolf. Thunderhead wouldn't be a bad name for a ship...

Star Fox Zero spoilers below.

Spoiler

In Star Fox Zero, Wolf has a special attack with his transformed Wolfen called "Lightning Tornado". Why do spaceships have special attacks? I dunno. Probably the same reason why they can transform into chickens, wolves, and whatnot.

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure what they would do in Japan though for the name, since Hero and Brave two different translations of the same Japanese character.

I'm sure they could come up with something interesting and original. Or they could just call it Finn's Lance.

5 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

So, wait, is "Brave Hero" just "Brave Brave" or "Hero Hero"?

The “Brave heroes” as in the CYL gang are called “大いなる英雄たち”, “Great heroes” in the original Japanese.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well in the Jugdral-inspired world of Tellius, a blue hair horseback lance-using knight starting with a Brave Lance, not exactly a common weapon, I think it is fair to say Geoffrey was inspired by Finn, and part of Finn is his Brave Lance.

They actually dedicate a base conversation to the Brave Lance in RD and canonizes it as Geoffrey's PoR signature weapon:

Hide contents

Of course, given how limited the Brave Lance is, it would be very understandable if you didn't actually have him use it that much to conserve uses for later. That would might make you forget how narratively tied to him it is. That and it isn't actually hard-locked to him in either PoR or RD, nothing stopping you from passing it to Marcia or anyone else right away.

Thanks :D I remembered the conversation between Kieran and Geoffrey with the Silver Axe, but couldn't recall that one :)

I can't remember what weapons I used. I should play it again, but I say that about all of them and never get round to it xD

I'd still prefer him as a bow knight in heroes, if only to set him apart a bit and give him a good slot on my team, otherwise he's competing with Finn, Camus and L!Ephraim...

A little annoyed at the new refinement choices to be honest. Merric was already in the rotation when he got Dark Excalibur at the beginning (not that it helped him much I admit), A!Tiki and Y!Tiki are already fantastic units and don't need the boost like other units (if it's even a boost at all, assuming it's worth using over Lightning Breath+) and Linde obviously doesn't need it. More than anything the reason why she's there at all is so they have an excuse to put her on a banner since because she hasn't been on one in a year.

Gonna pull for Linde and I hope the refines help out Merric more than the sidegrade did, but ultimately there were better choices so I'm pretty meh about it. Also demote Y!Tiki along with Lyn. She's no better than A!Tiki. She just lacks access to merges.

Still I don't think any other unit in this game needs to be demoted as badly as Lyn. That character is so unbelievably mediocre it's saddening. And then with a premium skillset she simply becomes "good".

5 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

So, wait, is "Brave Hero" just "Brave Brave" or "Hero Hero"?

It doesn't quite work that way. Not all languages are like English which can have a word function both as a noun and as an adjective without changing its form in some way.

The Japanese for the Brave weapons is 勇者の〇 (yuusha no ***), which literally translates as "Hero's [Weapon]". This is why the old fan translations from before the English localization of Blazing Sword use that translation (if any new translation uses "Hero's" instead of "Brave" for any reason other than character count or space limitations or using an existing translation as a base, the translator is being a weeb). The English localization chose to replace "Hero's", a possessive noun, with a similar adjective "Brave" that gets the meaning across without looking kind of funny and out of place.

If you wanted to say "brave hero" in Japanese (just literally and not the Fire Emblem Heroes "Brave Hero"), you'd most likely use the actual adjective for "brave" in Japanese, so 勇ましい勇者 (isamashii yuusha) or 勇ましい英雄 (isamashii eiyuu) depending on your choice of translation for "hero" (yuusha means "hero" as "one who is brave" whereas eiyuu means "hero" as "one who is great").

In the Japanese Fire Emblem games, yuusha is used as the name of the Hero class. Eiyuu is the term used for the capitalized Heroes that can be deployed as units in Fire Emblem Heroes.

And Brave Hero (the Fire Emblem Heroes "Brave Hero") in Japanese, 大いなる英雄 (ooinaru eiyuu), basically means "one who is great who is great(er)".

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It doesn't quite work that way. Not all languages are like English which can have a word function both as a noun and as an adjective without changing its form in some way.

The Japanese for the Brave weapons is 勇者の〇 (yuusha no ***), which literally translates as "Hero's [Weapon]". This is why the old fan translations from before the English localization of Blazing Sword use that translation (if any new translation uses "Hero's" instead of "Brave" for any reason other than character count or space limitations or using an existing translation as a base, the translator is being a weeb). The English localization chose to replace "Hero's", a possessive noun, with a similar adjective "Brave" that gets the meaning across without looking kind of funny and out of place.

If you wanted to say "brave hero" in Japanese (just literally and not the Fire Emblem Heroes "Brave Hero"), you'd most likely use the actual adjective for "brave" in Japanese, so 勇ましい勇者 (isamashii yuusha) or 勇ましい英雄 (isamashii eiyuu) depending on your choice of translation for "hero" (yuusha means "hero" as "one who is brave" whereas eiyuu means "hero" as "one who is great").

In the Japanese Fire Emblem games, yuusha is used as the name of the Hero class. Eiyuu is the term used for the capitalized Heroes that can be deployed as units in Fire Emblem Heroes.

And Brave Hero (the Fire Emblem Heroes "Brave Hero") in Japanese, 大いなる英雄 (ooinaru eiyuu), basically means "one who is great who is great(er)".

An actually interesting lesson, and in the end, the funny part is still there anyway. "One who is great who is great" is probably funnier than Brave Brave.

43 minutes ago, Zeo said:

A little annoyed at the new refinement choices to be honest. Merric was already in the rotation when he got Dark Excalibur at the beginning (not that it helped him much I admit), A!Tiki and Y!Tiki are already fantastic units and don't need the boost like other units (if it's even a boost at all, assuming it's worth using over Lightning Breath+) and Linde obviously doesn't need it. More than anything the reason why she's there at all is so they have an excuse to put her on a banner since because she hasn't been on one in a year.

Honestly, I found it kind of annoying when the original refinements were announced and Linde and Merric were only allowed to evolve their first-Gen weapons into other first-Gen weapon when other characters were able to receive second-Gen weapons.

Linde not needing a refine is somewhat debatable. Mages aren't exactly in a great situation right now, and pretty much all of them without access to Bold Fighter (and therefore lots of points of stats to spread around in defensive stats) and not named Reinhardt have trouble with a lot of relevant threats in Tier 20, like dragons, armors, and Berkut's Lance. Linde, Delthea, Shigure, and Lute are in the tier they are in (i.e. one tier above Ishtar, who has comparable or better combat performance) because they have support options available to them (Dark Aura, Sing, and triple Ploy), and Corrin and Morgan are in the same tier for their flying mobility and access to Guidance (and similar combat potential as Linde, Delthea, and Lute without flier buffs).

That said, they do have to give Aura something pretty good to beat out Dark Aura since its base effect of Breath of Life may as well not exist for how often it is at all useful.

@Rezzy @Arcanite

So, I decided to go ahead and do this anyway, despite still not having the +Def, -Res stats I eventually want.

LERTpnd.png

I figured, you know what? The current base Frederick is the very first green I ever pulled in this game. +Def, -Spd has still served me well enough for the most part. The only reason I want +Def, -Res is for the physical tanking and neutral Spd so he doesn't get doubled as much. But you know what else? 28 Spd here means he still reaches 38 with a Hone Cav buff and one Goad Cav buff, I believe. That's still pretty nuts for a tank like this dude. XD So I can roll with him for awhile longer. He deserves a little glory for being with me basically since I started.

Also, now people on Team Ike in my friends list will get a +10 Freddy for their ally sometimes. ^^ Happy tanking and Ignis smashing!

I love you, Freddy! Oh yeah, and don't worry, you'll finally have QR3 at some point too. lol Gotta stop getting rid of those Subakis for just QR2... Next time I pull him though...

Edited by Anacybele

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

@Rezzy @Arcanite

So, I decided to go ahead and do this anyway, despite still not having the +Def, -Res stats I eventually want.

LERTpnd.png

I figured, you know what? The current base Frederick is the very first green I ever pulled in this game. +Def, -Spd has still served me well enough for the most part. The only reason I want +Def, -Res is for the physical tanking and neutral Spd so he doesn't get doubled as much. But you know what else? 28 Spd here means he still reaches 38 with a Hone Cav buff and one Goad Cav buff, I believe. That's still pretty nuts for a tank like this dude. XD So I can roll with him for awhile longer. He deserves a little glory for being with me basically since I started.

Also, now people on Team Ike in my friends list will get a +10 Freddy for their ally sometimes. ^^ Happy tanking and Ignis smashing!

I love you, Freddy! Oh yeah, and don't worry, you'll finally have QR3 at some point too. lol Gotta stop getting rid of those Subakis for just QR2... Next time I pull him though...

Congrats!

I keep hoping we'll get a 4* that has QR3.  It's odd that we got it as a seal before that.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Congrats!

I keep hoping we'll get a 4* that has QR3.  It's odd that we got it as a seal before that.

Thanks! And yeah, I agree, can we get a 4 star somebody that has access to it at that rarity please, IS? xP

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

@Rezzy @Arcanite

LERTpnd.png

Look man i know you alreayd said it yourself and all

But no QR3?

i kinda want to build a +SPD Fred for some reason lol

6 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Look man i know you alreayd said it yourself and all

But no QR3?

i kinda want to build a +SPD Fred for some reason lol

Yeah, I know. xP

You can do that! Go check out my build page for Freddy in the analysis board and check out your options for a +Spd build there. He can hit high speeds in the mid 40s with those builds. :)

One of the other spare Fredericks I've got lying around is +Spd, -Res and now I'm tempted to do the same...lol I don't know if I want multiple 5 star Fredericks beyond the ones I used for those merges though. I love the guy, but I still don't know. lol

25 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It's odd that we got it as a seal before that.

I mean, the list of skills that we got as Sacred Seals before their max level was available at 4-star rarity is pretty large:

• Atk/Def
  • Close Def
  • Distant Def
  • Fortress Res
  • Heavy Blade
  • Quick Riposte
  • Flier Formation
  • Guidance
  • Drive Atk (no longer 5-star exclusive as of Groom Marth)
  • Panic Ploy
  • Atk Ploy (no longer 5-star exclusive as of Julius)
  • Res Ploy
  • Atk Smoke (no longer 5-star exclusive as of Kaze)
  • Spd Smoke
  • Def Tactic

Sure, Quick Riposte has been available since launch, but many of these skills were released fairly early in the game's lifetime so far (Atk/Def is the earliest from Spring Chrom, has been added to two characters since, and is still locked both to 5-star rarity and to limited characters).