Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You can bet that every character in Heroes is very carefully designed to be as widely appealing to as many people as possible. Like I said, even Gharnef got the sexy treatment. No, it's not nearly as overt with men as it is with women, and it manifests itself in a variety of ways, but it's still very much there. The issue isn't that "People don't respect women enough" the issue is that objectification sells because one of the biggest things people care about it looks. Ignoring that is basically saying it's only wrong when it happens to women, which is basically how negative male gender issues have been treated since the dawn of time. This thread started because people were saying they're disappointed Amalda isn't objectified enough to get into Heroes. Direct parallel, I wish Blume would get into Heroes because he'd be an armoured mage and I think some of the subtler aspects of his character are interesting. But he stands virtually 0% chance of getting in because he's one of the least popular characters in the entire franchise which comes mostly down to the fact that he's an angry looking old guy (without a monocle).

It's not about whether they're appealing or not, it's about how they're represented. That "objectification sells because one of the biggest things people care about is looks" is directly caused by people not respecting women enough. This isn't an equal problem between male and female character, it's not even close. It's so normalized with female characters that most people aren't even willing to consider that it is an issue, or that it's so widespread. Male objectification is not a rampant problem, certainly not in Fire Emblem.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The "cesspool" is because this is one of those arguments where neither side is willing to budge on their stance. It's an argument that cannot resolve because continuing the discussion tends to make each side more confident of their position rather than bring the sides to common ground.

I suppose that's true, but as I see it, one side is trying to dismiss or downplay the other's argument and ignore their points, no matter how salient, responding with things like "both sides" fallacies

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

13 minutes ago, Johann said:

It's not about whether they're appealing or not, it's about how they're represented. That "objectification sells because one of the biggest things people care about is looks" is directly caused by people not respecting women enough. This isn't an equal problem between male and female character, it's not even close. It's so normalized with female characters that most people aren't even willing to consider that it is an issue, or that it's so widespread. Male objectification is not a rampant problem, certainly not in Fire Emblem.

I suppose that's true, but as I see it, one side is trying to dismiss or downplay the other's argument and ignore their points, no matter how salient, responding with things like "both sides" fallacies

I never said it was an equal problem. In fact, I repeatedly said that it does cut harder in the female direction. But saying that it's only misogynistic and is irrelevant when it comes to male characters is like saying the death of one person is irrelevant compared to all the wars being waged. Ie, a little bit of a bad thing is fine, we should only do something about it when there's a lot of it. The same forces are at work on all the characters, and that's the issue. If a character wants to get into heroes, how attractive they are or how attractive they can be redesigned to be is a major factor.

Even taking exclusively females into account, consider the fact that the ratio of males to females in Heroes is roughly equal (at least it seems to me, I haven't bothered counting) while the total number of male to female ratio in the series is scews towards male. In an impartial system, that would mean the same ratio would be present in Heroes but it's not. Being waifu material doesn't just net a chance for a character to get in over other female characters, it gives them the ability to get in over a very large number of male characters too. 

7 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

There are only 3 cats and two of them are very popular. The other is Lyre and she's furry waifu.

It's the tigers we might not see a lot of (unless you included them when you said "cat"). 

Yes, I meant Tigers too, and also Grifca and Skimir as well (but not Caineghis, I'm sure we'll see him and Ranulf eventually).

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Beasts are a full weapon type with four colours. I'm sure they'll try to add every canon type aside from maybe some of the cats for the sake of variety eventually. 

There are only 3 cats and two of them are very popular. The other is Lyre and she's furry waifu.

It's the tigers we might not see a lot of (unless you included them when you said "cat"). 

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although we have three Legendary Sword Infantry (thanks Roy), and Masked Marth, they haven't done a single Seasonal Sword Infantry yet either. For the better of course.

Yeah and for all the seasonal banners there have been, there’s only four seasonal swords total plus a year-long gap between the first and the second and third.

As for the sword infantry legends, I suppose it couldn’t be helped since none of those three were any movement type except infantry in their home games along with two of them also being locked to swords.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I never said it was an equal problem. In fact, I repeatedly said that it does cut harder in the female direction. But saying that it's only misogynistic and is irrelevant when it comes to male characters is like saying the death of one person is irrelevant compared to all the wars being waged. The same forces are at work on all the characters, and that's the issue. If a character wants to get into heroes, how attractive they are or how attractive they can be redesigned to be is a major factor.

Yes, I meant Tigers too, and also Grifca and Skimir as well (but not Caineghis, I'm sure we'll see him and Ranulf eventually).

I've always liked the design of Giffca as a huge black lion so hopefully someone at IS is similarly engrossed with his looks. Skrimir is a pretty important character, I feel. 

They are probably in a much better spot than the remaining hawks/ravens/tigers. 

5 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I've always liked the design of Giffca as a huge black lion so hopefully someone at IS is similarly engrossed with his looks. Skrimir is a pretty important character, I feel. 

They are probably in a much better spot than the remaining hawks/ravens/tigers. 

Skrimir is important, but he's also discount Caineghis which makes me less certain about his inclusion. The rest of the birds aren't all that popular, but I think they stand a better chance purely out of unit diversity. I don't really expect IS to include birds in their inital banner and then never release another bird beast unit again in the history of game. They still might though. Don't think it was really a great idea to blow their load so early with both Tibarn and Naesala in the debut banner (and having two Herons was completely redundant).

Edited by Jotari

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Skrimir is important, but he's also discount Caineghis which makes me less certain about his inclusion. The rest of the birds aren't all that popular, but I think they stand a better chance purely out of unit diversity. I don't really expect IS to include birds in their inital banner and then never release another bird beast unit again in the history of game. They still might though. Don't think it was really a great idea to blow their load so early with both Tibarn and Naesala in the debut banner (and having two Herons was completely redundant).

When they released both Tibarn and Naesala right off the bat, I started doubting the other birds would get included. As later units generally outclass older ones, wouldn't it be weird to have both of them outshined by the bird non-royals? 

I wouldn't mind Skrimir being on Caineghis's power level in Heroes though considering he does grow during the game and eventually sets himself to become king.

Edited by Vince777

5 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

When they released both Tibarn and Naesala right off the bat, I started doubting the other birds would get included. As later units generally outclass older ones, wouldn't it be weird to have both of them outshined by the bird non-royals? 

I wouldn't mind Skrimir being on Caineghis's power level in Heroes though considering he does grow during the game and eventually sets himself to become king.

It depends on how they function. If say, Janeff or Ulki were dedicated flying buffer units (would make sense as they're expert reconnoiters), then they'd still be really useful without threading on Tibarn or Naesala's niche.

2 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

@Othin

That's why I was so sad he didn't make it on the previous beasts banner xD 

Sadly, I just don't think he's popular enough, unless they go with the route of adding in every canon beast... He's good looking, at least, so he has that going for him, but not waifu...

Going back to Volug as we were discussing a while back, he could also get into a banner with Tauroneo, Jill and Zihark, with Izuka being a Grand Hero Battle (and maybe Pelleas in Tepmest Trials if they're feeling generous). The theme obviously being all the people you meet at that point in Radiant Dawn. Defenders of the King or something.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I never said it was an equal problem. In fact, I repeatedly said that it does cut harder in the female direction. But saying that it's only misogynistic and is irrelevant when it comes to male characters is like saying the death of one person is irrelevant compared to all the wars being waged. The same forces are at work on all the characters, and that's the issue. If a character wants to get into heroes, how attractive they are or how attractive they can be redesigned to be is a major factor.

Let me reiterate then; even if creators apply the exact same qualities when designing objectified male and female characters, the reactions are always going to be different because of how men and women are viewed and treated differently in the world. What's misogynistic is that when sexualization or objectification happen to women, many people don't even notice because it's omnipresent, and then when someone complains about it, other people respond with excuses like "well what do you expect, sex sells" or "I don't see the problem". When it happens to men, people make a big fuss because they're not conditioned to seeing it.

The bottom line is that the "attractiveness" thing is disproportionately catering to straight male players, at the expense of everyone else, and to the detriment of the quality of female characters.

tbh all of this talk about objectification have the same basis  as why there is power creep. There is buyer so there will be market and not the other way around. If there is no buyer, the market will die on itself. So what must be eliminated is the consumer base, not the market. The problem is, is that possible or not?

That the FEH units are not only selling sex appeal, but also simply usability as unit with minimum to no regard to personality as character  is baffling to me. Many units can have better personality with their alts, or their appearance in FEH, but no, since sex appeal and unit usability is enough to sell , they don't bother to improve the personality. 

How Surtr and Reinhardt  gets into top 20 males in CYL3 shows how minimum people cares for personality as well, and it upsets me, same like Legendary Azura. Her design make me hope she will shed some light to Valla, or mention about Arete, but no, her lines basically sums up as "I sing and I'm a sociopath who doesn't care of other countries fell as long I keep my mouth shut and can destroy Anankos" . 

In real life, personality matters more than looks or skills, but that's what sells in video games, so companies will be milking it. but again, since sex appeal and unit usability is enough to sell , they don't bother to improve the personality.  And said lack of concern to personality will always baffles me, but who am I I alone can't eliminate the  consumer base.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Let me reiterate then; even if creators apply the exact same qualities when designing objectified male and female characters, the reactions are always going to be different because of how men and women are viewed and treated differently in the world. What's misogynistic is that when sexualization or objectification happen to women, many people don't even notice because it's omnipresent, and then when someone complains about it, other people respond with excuses like "well what do you expect, sex sells" or "I don't see the problem". When it happens to men, people make a big fuss because they're not conditioned to seeing it.

The bottom line is that the "attractiveness" thing is disproportionately catering to straight male players, at the expense of everyone else, and to the detriment of the quality of female characters.

Perhaps you missed the edited part of my comment. I'll paste here again.

Even taking exclusively females into account, consider the fact that the ratio of males to females in Heroes is roughly equal (at least it seems to me, I haven't bothered counting) while the total number of male to female ratio in the series scews towards male. In an impartial system, that would mean the same ratio would be present in Heroes but it's not. Being waifu material doesn't just net a chance for a character to get in over other female characters, it gives them the ability to get in over a very large number of male characters too. 

In other words not just at the detriment of the quality of female characters. It's to the detriment of all characters. Six sexy Camillas doesn't mean five other female characters can't get in the game. It means five other characters period don't get into the game, regardless of their gender. And I'm not sure what you mean by when it happens to men people make a big fuss about it, because objectification happens to men all the time and people don't even notice it precisely because people don't make a fuss about it.

4 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

tbh all of this talk about objectification have the same basis  as why there is power creep. There is buyer so there will be market and not the other way around. If there is no buyer, the market will die on itself. So what must be eliminated is the consumer base, not the market. The problem is, is that possible or not?

That the FEH units are not only selling sex appeal, but also simply usability as unit with minimum to no regard to personality as character  is baffling to me. Many units can have better personality with their alts, or their appearance in FEH, but no, since sex appeal and unit usability is enough to sell , they don't bother to improve the personality. 

How Surtr and Reinhardt  gets into top 20 males in CYL3 shows how minimum people cares for personality as well, and it upsets me, same like Legendary Azura. Her design make me hope she will shed some light to Valla, or mention about Arete, but no, her lines basically sums up as "I sing and I'm a sociopath who doesn't care of other countries fell as long I keep my mouth shut and can destroy Anankos" . 

In real life, personality matters more than looks or skills, but that's what sells in video games, so companies will be milking it. but again, since sex appeal and unit usability is enough to sell , they don't bother to improve the personality.  And said lack of concern to personality will always baffles me, but who am I I alone can't eliminate the  consumer base.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I tried to say here.

I think the fact that it's a modern trend, with the exception of FE4 (which had some good older villains to compensate, and while I'm here I'll add Thracia skews more towards the middle aged than the Wendell Gotoh oldies) is pretty clear that the dearth of older characters is very much an intentional design decision ever since they've leaned into pairings and made sex sell. And I doubt it's going to go away any time soon. We can complain about discrimination of all types until the cows come home, but it's clearly working for them because the majority of people simply don't care. And for me personally it's not a big enough deal to boycott the series which is the only real power we have to change things as consumers (short of some organised mass letter writing campaign or something). Ultimately if we are to get a more evened cast (for want of a better word, the pairing approach has actually lead to a much larger number of females in each game I reckon) it's probably going to come down to some developer designing a different type of character because they're board of drawing cute girls and manly/bishonen men. And even then some producer who doesn't care would probably just say "Stick em in a prepubescent loli body. Worked for Nyx."

There's not a massive whole lot we can do other than boycott the series (which I'm personally too invested in to do for other reasons). Or I guess mass rally Niime to win CYL4. That might do something.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Even taking exclusively females into account, consider the fact that the ratio of males to females in Heroes is roughly equal (at least it seems to me, I haven't bothered counting) while the total number of male to female ratio in the series scews towards male. In an impartial system, that would mean the same ratio would be present in Heroes but it's not. Being waifu material doesn't just net a chance for a character to get in over other female characters, it gives them the ability to get in over a very large number of male characters too. 

In other words not just at the detriment of the quality of female characters. It's to the detriment of all characters. Six sexy Camillas doesn't mean five other female characters can't get in the game. It means five other characters period don't get into the game, regardless of their gender. And I'm not sure what you mean by when it happens to men people make a big fuss about it, because objectification happens to men all the time and people don't even notice it precisely because people don't make a fuss about it.

I think at this point we might be arguing about somewhat different (but related) things-- in your case, what makes a character seemingly worthy of getting into the game, and in my case, the problem with how female characters are treated (by creators and players), on the whole. Even if the ratio of male to female characters present in the game was skewed drastically toward including more female characters, there's still a misogyny problem, which is based more on the quality of their presentation, rather than quantity.

Earlier you used Frederick, Seth, and Gharnef as "sexy" as if the degree that those characters are made attractive (or just not monstrous like Gharnef was) is anywhere close to how the female cast is portrayed. I found it a rather absurd case, especially if that's your idea of objectified male characters.

21 minutes ago, Johann said:

I think at this point we might be arguing about somewhat different (but related) things-- in your case, what makes a character seemingly worthy of getting into the game, and in my case, the problem with how female characters are treated (by creators and players), on the whole. Even if the ratio of male to female characters present in the game was skewed drastically toward including more female characters, there's still a misogyny problem, which is based more on the quality of their presentation, rather than quantity.

Earlier you used Frederick, Seth, and Gharnef as "sexy" as if the degree that those characters are made attractive (or just not monstrous like Gharnef was) is anywhere close to how the female cast is portrayed. I found it a rather absurd case, especially if that's your idea of objectified male characters.

Once again, I am not suggesting that the severity of it is equal (in that very comment where I mention Frederick, Seth and Gharnef I expressly say it's not to the same degree, not sure how you could have read it and picked up that I was suggesting it was) nor am I suggesting that the fact that there's more female characters than the ratio should suggest is a good thing, which is how I think you've taken that comment. In fact I'm basically saying the opposite. I'm also not saying it isn't misogynistic or that it's not a problem. I'm saying it's not just misogynistic and the other elements of it (particular the ageism, DraceEmpressa's comment about using unit quality is also astute) are also important and shouldn't be dismissed. Essentially,  what I'm saying it's that saying it's misogynistic is the equivalent of saying "Objectifying women is bad." Which is the wrong thought process as I think the view point should be "Objectifying characters is bad." Limiting one's scope of an issue to just one gender is, well, limiting.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Essentially,  what I'm saying it's that saying it's misogynistic is essentially saying "Objectifying women is bad." Which is the wrong thought process as I think the view point should be "Objectifying characters is bad."

My beef with this take is that it's sort of an "All Lives Matter" type of response. Nobody was arguing that men being objectified isn't bad, but by making that a key part of your point, you're saying it's just as big of a problem. Choosing to respond to @Othin with "but don't forget about all the sexism men deal with" is pretty dismissive of her point that the objectification overwhelmingly and disproportionately targets female characters.

8 minutes ago, Johann said:

What's misogynistic is that when sexualization or objectification happen to women, many people don't even notice because it's omnipresent, and then when someone complains about it, other people respond with excuses like "well what do you expect, sex sells" or "I don't see the problem". When it happens to men, people make a big fuss because they're not conditioned to seeing it.

I am pretty sure it is the opposite. I hardly see anyone complain about male units' abs while people freak out over female units' amount of skin they show or the body proportions they have.

14 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

The definition of market is pretty broad, so it can refer to buyers as well, such as "the market is not going to pay $1,000 for a plastic spoon."

And calling other players problems because they have different tastes and priorities than you is kind of condescending. I pay for game play performance, you pay for personality, others pay for fan service; everyone wants different things out of Fire Emblem Heroes and there is nothing wrong with that.

In real life, personality, looks, and skills are all pretty important depending on the situation. In most jobs, personality alone is not going to get your very far if you keep screwing up your duties, so having the right skills and experience is pretty much mandatory, and if you are in the fashion or entertainment industry or going for an interview, you definitely need to look the part as no employer wants to hire a slob. For dating, personality matters a lot of course, but you also need to make sure you look nice, trim or shave your beard/body hair, shower, etc. to make a good first impression; having strong social skills is an huge asset too, as making the other person laugh and feel comfortable helps with the seduction.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am pretty sure it is the opposite. I hardly see anyone complain about male units' abs while people freak out over female units' amount of skin they show or the body proportions they have.

Showing abs isn't objectification. Like, when people use Hawkeye as an example of a sexualized man, it goes to show that they don't really know what a sexualized man looks like. Meanwhile, there's arguably just as vocal a response (varying by depiction) to criticisms about the way female characters are portrayed.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

Showing abs isn't objectification. Like, when people use Hawkeye as an example of a sexualized man, it goes to show that they don't really know what a sexualized man looks like. Meanwhile, there's arguably just as vocal a response (varying by depiction) to criticisms about the way female characters are portrayed.

If abs do not count, then what does? Do men have to be stripped butt naked for that to count as objectification?

I ran some numbers last year on playables outside and FEH and gender ratios:

Shadow Dragon: 14/59 = 23.7% female.

Shadows of Valentia: 13/34 = 38.23%

New Mystery of the Emblem: 24/78 = 30.77%

Genealogy Gen 1: 9/24 = 37.5% Gen 2 (sans Subs and Finn) is 33.33%.

Thracia 776: 17/52 = 32.69%

Binding Blade (sans Trial Map characters): 19/54 = 35.19%

Blazing Blade: 13/44 (counting N&N separately) = 29.55%

Sacred Stones (sans Trial Map characters): 12/33 = 36.36%

Radiant Dawn (sans BK, plus Largo): 25/73 = 34.24%

Awakening (Excluding Einherjar, including both sexes of Robin and Morgan): 25/51 = 49.02%

Fates in its entirety (counting the Corrin and Kana sexes separately): 34/69 = 49.28%

Awakening and Fates achieved gender parity, partly I think due to the marriage mechanic. Everything else lacks it. Being usually at ~1/3rd the roster.

As for FEH itself, I just finished counting everyone for you. I hope I got it right. Non-alts of any kind: Males 118 to Females 108 (47.79% Female). Alts of all kinds: Males 45 to Females 68 (39.82% Male). Added altogether, we get 339 units in FEH, of whom 51.92% are Female, and 48.08% Male.

Edit: I did forget someone- Surtr, but only one more guy isn't going to make a huge difference, so I'm not going to recalculate. -Actually, I forgot Arvis, Ylgr and Ethlyn too.

I'll just post my lists for others to check them over if they wish:

Male non-alt:

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse
  2. Hrid 
  3. Surtr
  4. Marth
  5. Jagen
  6. Cain
  7. Abel
  8. Draug
  9. Gordin
  10. Luke
  11. Roderick
  12. Ogma
  13. Barst
  14. Jeorge
  15. Michalis
  16. Navarre
  17. Merric
  18. DE Hardin
  19. Camus
  20. Legion
  21. Wrys
  22. Gharnef
  23. Alm
  24. Lukas
  25. Tobin
  26. Gray
  27. Kliff
  28. Leon
  29. Clive
  30. Berkut
  31. Boey
  32. Saber
  33. Duma
  34. Sigurd
  35. Arden
  36. Quan
  37. Lewyn
  38. Jamke
  39. Eldigan
  40. Arvis
  41. Seliph
  42. Ares
  43. Julius
  44. Leif
  45. Finn
  46. Saias
  47. Reinhardt
  48. Roy
  49. Rutger
  50. Lugh
  51. Raigh
  52. Klein
  53. FE6 Bartre
  54. Narcian
  55. Zephiel
  56. Eliwood
  57. Hector
  58. Dorcas
  59. Matthew
  60. Raven
  61. Lucius
  62. Canas
  63. Hawkeye
  64. FE7 Karel
  65. Legault
  66. Jaffar
  67. Lloyd
  68. Linus
  69. Ephraim
  70. Seth
  71. Innes
  72. Joshua
  73. Lyon
  74. Valter
  75. PoR Ike
  76. Soren
  77. Oscar
  78. RD Sothe
  79. Tibarn
  80. Naesala
  81. Reyson
  82. Black Knight
  83. Oliver
  84. Chrom
  85. Male Robin
  86. Frederick
  87. Stahl
  88. Gaius
  89. Donnel
  90. Lon’qu
  91. Henry
  92. Virion
  93. Owain
  94. Gerome
  95. Male Morgan
  96. Walhart
  97. Male Corrin
  98. Gunter
  99. Jakob
  100. Silas
  101. Xander
  102. Leo
  103. Laslow
  104. Odin
  105. Niles
  106. Arthur of Fates
  107. Keaton
  108. Ryoma
  109. 109.Takumi
  110. Kaze
  111. Saizo
  112. Hinata
  113. Azama
  114. Subaki
  115. Kaden
  116. Male Kana
  117. Shigure
  118. Siegbert
  119. Shiro
  120. Garon

Female non-alt:

Spoiler
  1. Sharena
  2. Anna of Askr
  3. Fjorm
  4. Gunnthra
  5. Ylgr
  6. Laegjarn
  7. Laevatein
  8. Eir
  9. Loki
  10. Caeda
  11. Linde
  12. Minerva
  13. Maria
  14. Palla
  15. Catria
  16. Est
  17. Sheena
  18. Young Tiki
  19. Katarina
  20. Clarisse
  21. Athena
  22. Celica
  23. Clair
  24. Mae
  25. Genny
  26. Sonya
  27. Delthea
  28. Faye
  29. Mathilda
  30. Deidre
  31. Julia
  32. Ayra
  33. Lachesis
  34. Ethlyn
  35. Silvia
  36. Tailtiu
  37. Lene
  38. Ishtar
  39. Nanna
  40. Lilina
  41. Shanna
  42. Thea
  43. Clarine
  44. Sue
  45. Gwendolyn
  46. Fir
  47. Cecilia
  48. Sophia
  49. Fae
  50. Idunn
  51. Lyn
  52. Serra
  53. Priscilla
  54. Rebecca
  55. Nino
  56. Ninian
  57. Florina
  58. Karla
  59. Ursula
  60. Eirika
  61. Lute
  62. L’Arachel
  63. Tana
  64. Amelia
  65. Marisa
  66. Myrrh
  67. Mist
  68. Titania
  69. Mia
  70. Elincia
  71. Leanne
  72. Nephenee
  73. Nailah
  74. Micaiah
  75. Lucina
  76. Female Robin
  77. Lissa
  78. Cordelia
  79. Sully
  80. Sumia
  81. Maribelle
  82. Olivia
  83. Cherche
  84. Adult Tiki
  85. Nowi
  86. Female Morgan
  87. Panne
  88. Aversa
  89. Female Corrin
  90. Azura
  91. Felicia
  92. Camilla
  93. Elise
  94. Peri
  95. Severa
  96. Beruka
  97. Effie
  98. Hinoka
  99. Sakura
  100. Kagero
  101. Oboro
  102. Setsuna
  103. Hana
  104. Female Kana
  105. Ophelia
  106. Soleil
  107. Velouria
  108. Nina
  109. Selkie
  110. Rhajat

Male alt:

Spoiler
  1. Spring Alfonse
  2. NY Hrid
  3. Bride Marth
  4. Legendary Marth
  5. Legendary Roy
  6. Valentine’s Roy
  7. Valentine’s Eliwood
  8. Valentine’s Hector
  9. Brave Hector
  10. Legendary Hector
  11. Halloween Dorcas
  12. Xmas Ephraim
  13. Brave Ephraim
  14. Legendary Ephraim
  15. Summer Innes
  16. Valentine’s Ike
  17. Brave Ike
  18. Legendary Ike
  19. Valentine’s Soren
  20. Valentine’s Greil
  21. Zelgius
  22. Paladin Chrom
  23. Spring Chrom
  24. Xmas Chrom
  25. Male Grima Robin
  26. Xmas Male Robin
  27. Summer Frederick
  28. Summer Gaius
  29. Halloween Henry
  30. Performing Inigo
  31. Adrift Male Corrin
  32. NY M Corrin
  33. Halloween Jakob
  34. Halloween Niles
  35. Performing Shigure
  36. Spring Xander
  37. Summer Xander
  38. Yukata Xander
  39. Summer Leo
  40. Spa Ryoma
  41. Yukata Ryoma
  42. Legendary Ryoma
  43. NY Takumi
  44. Summer Takumi
  45. Fallen Takumi

Female alt:

Spoiler
  1. Spring Sharena
  2. Brave Veronica
  3. NY Fjorm
  4. NY Gunnthra
  5. NY Laegjarn
  6. NY Laevatein
  7. Bride Caeda
  8. Summer Linde
  9. Spring Catria
  10. Summer Young Tiki
  11. Legendary Young Tiki
  12. Brave Celica
  13. Fallen Celica
  14. Valentine’s Lilina
  15. Xmas Cecilia
  16. Xmas Fae
  17. Valentine’s Lyn
  18. Bride Lyn
  19. Brave Lyn
  20. Legendary Lyn
  21. Flying Nino
  22. Bride Ninian
  23. Gleipnirika
  24. Legendary Eirika
  25. Xmas Eirika
  26. Summer Tana
  27. Halloween Myrrh
  28. Valentine’s Mist
  29. Valentine’s Titania
  30. Halloween Mia
  31. Yukata Elincia
  32. Yukata Micaiah
  33. Spring Lucina
  34. Masked Marth
  35. Brave Lucina
  36. Legendary Lucina
  37. Summer Female Robin
  38. Female Grima Robin
  39. Performing Olivia
  40. Flier Olivia
  41. Xmas Tharja
  42. Bride Tharja
  43. Bride Cordelia
  44. Summer Cordelia
  45. Halloween Nowi
  46. Summer Noire
  47. Summer Adult Tiki
  48. Adrift F Corrin
  49. Summer F Corrin
  50. NY Azura
  51. Performing Azura
  52. Adrift Azura
  53. Legendary Azura
  54. Summer Charlotte
  55. Adrift Mikoto
  56. Spring Kagero
  57. Halloween Kagero
  58. Bow Hinoka
  59. Spa Hinoka
  60. Spa Sakura
  61. Halloween Sakura
  62. Spa Elise
  63. Summer Elise
  64. NY Camilla
  65. Spa Camilla
  66. Spring Camilla
  67. Summer Camilla
  68. Adrift Camilla

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for FEH itself, I just finished counting everyone for you. I hope I got it right. Non-alts of any kind: Males 118 to Females 108 (47.79% Female). Alts of all kinds: Males 45 to Females 68 (39.82% Male). Added altogether, we get 339 units in FEH, of whom 51.92% are Female, and 48.08% Male.

That is interesting. I thought there would have been a lot more females than males, but that is only for Special Heroes Foci.

31 minutes ago, XRay said:

If abs do not count, then what does? Do men have to be stripped butt naked for that to count as objectification?

It's a bit complicated, so bear with me. It goes back to what I was saying earlier-- because of the way we've been conditioned to look at men and women, the things that would make a woman objectified don't necessarily make a man objectified. This is due to the societal power imbalance between men and women, such as how women are often sexually exploited (such as assault, coercion, and abuse) and how straight men are largely catered to by media, and experience generally less bullshit for their gender. Because of these things, if you present a female character in, say, their underwear, the context is completely different from a man being in their underwear (which is usually used for humor).

Now, what solidifies it as objectification is the other ways that character is presented, as not everything is clothing. Remembering that these characters are fictional, and therefore there are no hard rules for what can and can't happen, everything exists because someone creating them decided to make them that way. Lemme break it down into the main aspects of presentation, looking at two characters on opposite ends of the objectification scale: Titania and Camilla.

• Characterization: Within the narrative, how do they relate to the other characters? Do they have their own motivations that are separate from other characters (particularly the male characters) like Titania, or are they basically just exist for the sake of another character like Camilla? Titania's motivation is to look out for everybody, teach them, offer her opinions on complicated subjects, etc. Camilla's is to... hug the player and take baths I guess? Those things (admittedly not all does, but they stand out) are there more to reinforce sexual fantasies for the player rather than develop who she's supposed to be. If you take the player/Ike away from Titania, you still have a lot of characterization. If you take the player/Corrin away from Camilla, what's left?
  • Attire: A character's clothing/armor can tell us some details about who they're supposed to be at a glance. Titania's armor is pleasing to the eye, but is also realistic and functional, and suits her characterization. Perhaps they designed her that way so the player would think of her as an actual sister/mother figure. Meanwhile, Camilla's armor is simply designed to focus on her boobs-- the contrast between her skin color and the armor tone and how they're jutted outwards make them really hard to miss. There are countless examples of female characters having armor that is designed to highlight certain body parts, notably their chest and legs (notice how many female characters have exposed thighs, even if they're otherwise quite covered). Side note and less of a objectification thing but also rather silly, notice how many female characters are wearing high heels with their armor as well.
  • Poses/Camera Angle: This is more of a thing in cinematic games, but at least with FEH we can look at the art. Titania's standing upright like a normal person stands. Camilla bends over and sticks her chest and ass out. Consider how many other characters do this awkward pose to emphasize their chest and ass. Alternatively, there's the "boobs-and-butt" pose, where their ass is facing the camera and they're turning around so you can see their boobs too. Awkward as all hell.

Side note: Camilla fans, I'm sorry but your girl is perfect for these discussions. I don't begrudge any of you for liking her for whatever reason, but I do recommend you take the time to think about why she's designed the way she is and reflect on what, if anything, you would have preferred be different about her character.

Try looking at these aspects in the male characters. Niles is flirty with the player and sometimes given some clothes that expose his chest slightly, but he's probably the only overt example (not a good look that he's also a stereotypical depraved bisexual). Hawkeye exposes his muscular body, but that's the end of anything sexual from him; many players (especially if they hear his quotes) will look at his muscles and think he's a powerful man, not a sexual one (though, to be fair, Hawkeye canonically fucks). A few other characters (like Linus) expose their chests a bit for no reason, but does this imply sexuality? It can be inferred, but it could also be inferred that this is to imply sexual desirability, that is, the character is being cool or whatever. Note, however, that where outfits like Camilla's is designed to draw your attention to her chest, the only male character I can think of that is designed to draw your attention to the naughty bits is Volug.

Ultimately, the creators are designing these characters this way because they figure this is what you want, and in the case of the male characters, the lack of sexual attributes in their presentation implies that they don't think you want sexy men. Frankly I'm not even sure if I could get away with posting example pictures of men in the same kind of clothing that many sexualized female characters are wearing, even though it's the same exact thing, only because of how conditioned we are to seeing women portrayed in sexualized outfits compared to men.

Further viewing (super recommended):

11 minutes ago, Johann said:

It's a bit complicated, so bear with me. It goes back to what I was saying earlier-- because of the way we've been conditioned to look at men and women, the things that would make a woman objectified don't necessarily make a man objectified. This is due to the societal power imbalance between men and women, such as how women are often sexually exploited (such as assault, coercion, and abuse) and how straight men are largely catered to by media, and experience generally less bullshit for their gender. Because of these things, if you present a female character in, say, their underwear, the context is completely different from a man being in their underwear (which is usually used for humor).

I agree that a showing a male nipple is not the same as showing a female nipple, but I would not agree that Hawkeye's abs does not qualify as objectifying him. I agree that Hawkeye is less objectified than Camilla in terms of characterization, but he is no less objectified in my opinion when it comes to attire and poses. He is half naked making manly poses, which is not much different from girls being in bikini making feminine poses.

Just now, XRay said:

I agree that a showing a male nipple is not the same as showing a female nipple, but I would not agree that Hawkeye's abs does not qualify as objectifying him. I agree that Hawkeye is less objectified than Camilla in terms of characterization, but he is no less objectified in my opinion when it comes to attire and poses. He is half naked making manly poses, which is not much different from girls being in bikini making feminine poses.

Let's try this: Who do you think he is designed to appeal to, and can you ask those people what they think about him?

@Johann I think a perfect example for your comparison would be Cecilia and Christmas Cecilia. Normal is in a similar vein to Titania, both of whom are just gorgeous. Christmas is equally attractive (same person so a bit of a duh), but has a convenient boob window with framing and everything and went up about 3 cup sizes.

@Johann I feel like you've completely dodged the question. The question I was expecting to be answered (and @XRay can tell me if I'm wrong) was "What do you have to do to a male character to make it count as male objectification?" However, two thirds of your post was about objectification of women, which doesn't answer the question, and the remaining one third of your post was giving examples of how men in less clothing aren't really being objectified, which also doesn't answer the question.

So, I will ask again on my own behalf:

If none of these examples of male character designs are male objectification, do you have any examples of what would count?

The reason I ask is because part of the argument appears to be going back and forth about the amount of female and male objectification that occurs in media, but if what counts as male objectification is more difficult to achieve and requires going to less socially acceptable lengths, both of which are things I believe to be true, then it would clearly make sense that there would be less of it.