Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

3 minutes ago, r_n said:

excusing the release banners (which basically were just grab bags), the voting banners and the GHB banners (both of which just come & go unrelated to other banners) we've only had Family Bonds, Sibling Bonds, Blazing Shadows & Spring Festival. & i'm not excusing the SF because it had new characters (even if they are variants), a paralogue, and a full two weeks of activation like FB, SB & BS

We don't really have a pattern to speak of at this point

I'm going to be expecting a pattern periodically interrupted by a holiday banner at certain points of the year (we'll likely get one during the summer, for example) until proven otherwise (possibly also interrupted by special events, like game releases). 

You're absolutely right that the game is still new and that there's relatively little to go off of though. 

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 hour ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

The thing about that though is that all the banners have come in sets. 

Family Bonds was followed up by Sibling Bonds, and it only makes logical sense for Blazing Shadows to be followed up with something similar, such as a Binding Shadows FE6 banner. 

(Note that this is me trying to be logical. If IS pulls one over on me and brings out either a Tellius or a Magvel banner instead, I'll be super excited. I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check is all.)

21 minutes ago, r_n said:

excusing the release banners (which basically were just grab bags), the voting banners and the GHB banners (both of which just come & go unrelated to other banners) we've only had Family Bonds, Sibling Bonds, Blazing Shadows & Spring Festival. & i'm not excusing the SF because it had new characters (even if they are variants), a paralogue, and a full two weeks of activation like FB, SB & BS

We don't really have a pattern to speak of at this point

Yeah, we've only really had two Foci that were related to each other.  Out of the five we've had so far, I'd say it's the exception, rather than the rule.  So we had the two unrelated starter Banners, Family Fun Time x 2, then Fanservice Bunny Fest.  So they're related only 40% of the time so far, or you could say that only 25% of the time is the Banner followed up with something related, but our sample size is too small to draw any real conclusions yet.

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

(I had no idea there were so few infantry lancers, wow)

That's true to  the series source material though.  Lancers are usually mounted, flyers, or armor units.  Playable soldiers/halberdiers are pretty rare, and several games don't even have any.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

That's true to  the series source material though.  Lancers are usually mounted, flyers, or armor units.  Playable soldiers/halberdiers are pretty rare, and several games don't even have any.

Nephenee where

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Person on reddit gathered together some interesting statistics if anyone was interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/64msgt/just_what_is_is_giving_us_an_analysis_our/

That's pretty interesting! But there's at least one error. Sophia isn't a free unit from the story. But Matthew is and he was left out of that list.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

That's pretty interesting! But there's at least one error. Sophia isn't a free unit from the story. But Matthew is and he was left out of that list.

Oh, nice catch! I definitely didn't notice that when I glanced through the list. 

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Nephenee where

Nephenee was a rare class.  She, Devdan, and Aran are the only Lance Infantry in Tellius.  Ephraim is the only one in all of the GBA games, unless you count Amelia.  I've only played Shadow Dragon a couple times, but I can't think of any at all there, off-hand.  I'm not too familiar with Jugdral as to whether they have any.

It's only really in the 3DS era where Lancer Infantry becomes a halfway common unit type.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Nephenee was a rare class.  She, Devdan, and Aran are the only Lance Infantry in Tellius.  Ephraim is the only one in all of the GBA games, unless you count Amelia.  I've only played Shadow Dragon a couple times, but I can't think of any at all there, off-hand.  I'm not too familiar with Jugdral as to whether they have any.

It's only really in the 3DS era where Lancer Infantry becomes a halfway common unit type.

Oh, no, I know. I totally agree with you that Lance Infantry was hella rare in the actual FE games, now that I stop and think about it. 

It's just that the whole convo about lance infantry in general reminded me of Nephenee, who's one of my favorites :D

I mean, historically, spears were the weapons of your common foot soldier due to their cheap manufacturing costs, ease of use, and range advantage over swords, not weapons that were commonly held by heroes off to save the world (and even if said hero did have a spear, he'd switch to a sword upon dismounting).

The playable characters of Fire Emblem are rarely rank-and-file foot units, with a sizable portion of your (non-magical) forces one of military elite, some lord of some sort, some lord's personal guard, or trained mercenaries, so it makes sense that there are very few lance infantry units outside of armors.

And then there were the Irish who gave half their heroes spears for who knows what reason.

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I mean, historically, spears were the weapons of your common foot soldier due to their cheap manufacturing costs, ease of use, and range advantage over swords, not weapons that were commonly held by heroes off to save the world (and even if said hero did have a spear, he'd switch to a sword upon dismounting).

The playable characters of Fire Emblem are rarely rank-and-file foot units, with a sizable portion of your (non-magical) forces one of military elite, some lord of some sort, some lord's personal guard, or trained mercenaries, so it makes sense that there are very few lance infantry units outside of armors.

And then there were the Irish who gave half their heroes spears for who knows what reason.

I mean, the Irish are right. 1v1, open field, Spear beats Swords. Hell, spears beat swords even harder if the fight's more than 1v1. (Bows beat everyone, though, except bows on horses, which really beat everyone.)

A sword is pretty much never the best choice compared to daggers (tiny ass corridor), lances (open field), bows (you what mate?),  or hammers (plate-mail). But it's also never the worst choice, which is why anyone carrying a more specialized weapon will also have a sword, so they don't get killed for free when someone goes into their specialty's blind-spot. (Bows in melee, spears in corridor, hammer anywhere except against armor, etc.)

Actually, the perception I have IS has about representing spears is through cavaliers and peg knights rather than a soldier or halberdier, different from a sword or axes user in which they give us the myrmidon/swordfighter and fighter classes.

= EDIT =

And here it is, as promised!

Spoiler

Screenshot_20170410-221737.png

Next time, Anna!

Edited by Quintessence

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Like Quan with that Gae Bolg? In all honesty the idea of the Gae Bolg is pretty terrifying (impractical too).

There was also most certainly an amount of elegance associated with swords (especially those rapiers which lord characters keep starting with) and those gentlemanly duels that took place around the renaissance era.

But for the most part of the medieval era swords were just sidearms meant to be switched too after a spear was thrown, or something similar took place. Swords were also sort of like handguns are today (except even more accepted) in which case it was a weapon that was usually acceptable for a person to carry around, sometimes made for civilian self defense, where spears would likely draw the attention of whatever guards or law enforcement were nearby. 

1 minute ago, Quintessence said:

Actually, the perception I have IS has about representing spears is through cavaliers and peg knights rather than a soldier or halberdier, different from a sword or axes user in which they give us the myrmidon/swordfighter and fighter classes.

Which exactly makes sense.

It's rare to have rank-and-file foot soldiers in your army in Fire Emblem simply because your army typically is an elite force made up of nobility, military elite, and mercenaries with a few rag-tag weirdos commoners for variety. You leave the large-scale army-to-army battles for the nameless green guys to fight while your force performs surgery.

Horse and flying mounted units have an easy argument for the use of spears because you're going to have trouble reaching your enemies with a sword when you're mounted (unless your sword is as long as Gurgurant). I honestly have no idea how Pegasus Knights and Dragon Knights even reach anything with a sword, let alone an axe, to begin with.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which exactly makes sense.

It's rare to have rank-and-file foot soldiers in your army in Fire Emblem simply because your army typically is an elite force made up of nobility, military elite, and mercenaries with a few rag-tag weirdos commoners for variety. You leave the large-scale army-to-army battles for the nameless green guys to fight while your force performs surgery.

Horse and flying mounted units have an easy argument for the use of spears because you're going to have trouble reaching your enemies with a sword when you're mounted (unless your sword is as long as Gurgurant). I honestly have no idea how Pegasus Knights and Dragon Knights even reach anything with a sword, let alone an axe, to begin with.

Now that I think of it, tellius poleaxes were large and had good range. At least it suits Titania perfectly as her artwork depicts her.

Edited by Quintessence

1 hour ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Person on reddit gathered together some interesting statistics if anyone was interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/64msgt/just_what_is_is_giving_us_an_analysis_our/

This reminds me https://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

The initial batch of awakening characters are the top ten of both men & women except for Gerome & Morgan. I presume Morgan was swapped out for Sully since she joins with Virion and so Stahl could have his red counterpart while Gerome was swapped with Donnel because....??? Fred & Lissa also get in since they're your first four characters with chrom & robin.

Ok yes technically "Owain, Severa & Inigo" aren't in and will almost definitely get proper releases later, but I thought it was interesting that they decided to more or less follow Awakening's popularity poll while Fates went with the royals + their retainers

Just now, Vaximillian said:

@r_n, Morgan and Gerome are left out because second generation.

The Awakening trio doesn't count.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. Lucina & the trio are the only gen 2 exceptions. The trio because they're in as Fates variants, Lucina because..........Lucina. You gotta have lucy!

I really hope they do Severa & Inigo in an interesting way. Like maybe promote them? Severa could be bow knight, Inigo could use axes as a hero? Something like that. Just anything than more swords because they woudl absolutely be released with Owain in whatever banner and it would be three swords and that would be The Worst.

Too bad the FE royalty are not self aware about their weapon usage. If kingdom A is run by sword users, then I kingdom B should pack my court with lance users. It is weird that bandits in FE are always a danger when they have ax heavy armies. 

Mercenaries can be spearmen too. It is just that spears in the FE world are no more dangerous to horses than a sword/ax (ignoring the horseslayers). It does baffle me that there are no mounted Pegasus archers. Strong against other fliers and they could hit and run.

3 minutes ago, Rezanator said:

there are no mounted Pegasus archers. Strong against other fliers and they could hit and run.

Kinshi Knights. A thing. Is. (Selena actually has them in her class-tree, but there's literally 0 point since she has Bow-Knight.)

Edited by DehNutCase

1 minute ago, Rezanator said:

Too bad the FE royalty are not self aware about their weapon usage. If kingdom A is run by sword users, then I kingdom B should pack my court with lance users. It is weird that bandits in FE are always a danger when they have ax heavy armies. 

Mercenaries can be spearmen too. It is just that spears in the FE world are no more dangerous to horses than a sword/ax (ignoring the horseslayers). It does baffle me that there are no mounted Pegasus archers. Strong against other fliers and they could hit and run.

That reminds me, Ephraim actually mentions how the other FE lords favor swords while he prefers lances which he notes has an edge over swords if you poke him when he's in your castle. Full quote being: "The royalty of other worlds seem to prefer the sword. I like the lance. Lances have the edge over swords." There's some snide and devious about it for me. :p

As you can see I am not caught up on the latest FE games. From reading online, they seem very overpowered. 

I feel like I never see people use them, ever. And personally any kinshi knights I tried just fell flat

As you can see I am not caught up on the latest FE games. From reading online, they seem very overpowered. 

Very much the opposite, actually. Their bases, growths, and caps mean that it's pretty much never worth reclassing into them. Sure, they can 1 round fliers... but so can any other flying class, and those aren't useless against grounded units.