• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Mjölnir and Thor Hammer are different things in Fates? Another reason to the pile of why this game is not canon.

@phineas81707 did a seven-streak.

This is a feature we need, but not the one we deserve.

Yeah, I just saw your recent post right after I posted mine.

Is there a reason why we do not have that feature? I think Serenes Forest is the only platform that I have encountered that does not have the delete feature.

Just now, Bartozio said:

This is actually pretty close to my eating habbits. Great minds think alike it seems.

Yeah, they taste awesome. Nothing beats rare filet mignon seasoned with my secret spice mix and smothered in butter and bacon drippings. After cooking the steak, I save all that juice and pour it in my mash potatoes.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Mjölnir and Thor Hammer are different things in Fates? Another reason to the pile of why this game is not canon.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Fates though

Late to the party, but this is actually a localization quirk/error. Thor Hammer, Tordo's tome, is called トールハンマー (literally Thor Hammer) in Japanese. This tome appears in Genealogy, Thracia and Awakening; when localizing Awakening to English, 8-4 gave it the name "Mjölnir".

Then in Fates, a new lightning tome called ミョルニル (literally Mjölnir) in Japanese was introduced. It was a Killer tome, but pretty much completely unrelated to Thor Hammer. Nintendo Treehouse decided to localize it by its literal Japanese name, Mjölnir, ignoring the different Japanese name. It was very likely meant to be a completely unrelated tome.

#TorrentialDownpour

I am pretty sure everything is canon, including fan fiction. There are multiple universes out there accessible with the Dragon's Gate. I am pretty sure in some universe out there, Cordelia is able to marry Chrom.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am pretty sure everything is canon, including fan fiction.

That contradicts the English definition of canon.

People just can't separate themselves away from associating the word with pairings.

For example: We are not sure if Emmeryn surviving is canon since that's in a paralogue not tied with the main story and some consider it post game.

The Drama CD occurrences are canon. Which means there are two Marks/Morgans that interact. However their parentage and how they are so is ambiguous.

Hector dies in FE6 is canon. Nino having twins is canon.

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

That contradicts the English definition of canon.

From Google:

"the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine"

As long as it is made by the author(s), it is canon. There may be a hierarchy of canons, where the author prefers one event happening over the other (like with the fast supports in Awakening), but if they explicitly made something like the Dragon's Gate and say that there are countless worlds out there with lots of different possibilities, then pretty much everything is canon since it is impractical for the author to write out every single possibility. Fan fiction then is just a retelling of one possible universe that the author did not think or write about.

3 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Is there anything in Fire Emblem's history that allows for hitting an enemy three, and only, three times? There's doubling, quadding, and 5x hits with Astrum, but no tripling to my knowledge beyond durability (which is why I'm banking on Corrosion as the anti-brave) and 'enemy-running-out-of-health'.

Continue Leif

If it’s canon that countless alternate worlds exist, then by association a world where Cordelia married Chrom would exist and won’t contradict canon.

@JSND Continue is now called Adept, anyway.

Anyway, Leif when?

Edited by Vaximillian

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

If it’s canon that countless alternate worlds exist, then by association a world where Cordelia married Chrom would exist and won’t contradict canon.

@JSND Continue is now called Adept, anyway.

Anyway, Leif when?

Seriously Leif when. Not like i expect IS to do justice to a character who can literally become anything

2 minutes ago, JSND said:

Seriously Leif when. Not like i expect IS to do justice to a character who can literally become anything

They told him he could become anything… so he became a Rescue bot.

Edited by Vaximillian

15 minutes ago, XRay said:

From Google:

"the works of a particular author or artist that are recognized as genuine"

As long as it is made by the author(s), it is canon. There may be a hierarchy of canons, where the author prefers one event happening over the other (like with the fast supports in Awakening), but if they explicitly made something like the Dragon's Gate and say that there are countless worlds out there with lots of different possibilities, then pretty much everything is canon since it is impractical for the author to write out every single possibility. Fan fiction then is just a retelling of one possible universe that the author did not think or write about.

The accepted definition of material that is canon by what you stated by Google there that it is explicitly recognized as genuine.

A generic "a world out there with infinite possibilities" is a literal cop out so that they don't step on anyone's toes. This is, after all, a fanservice game.

The outrealms was never part of the main story of Awakening or Fates. If they were, deeprealm lore would solve all of Nohr's famine problems.

Canon defines the world which the author makes has to have boundaries. "When everything is canon" nothing is.

You could argue that Paris/Prism is canonically a clone of Ike forged from the memories of Soren's dragon blood via the Grimleal's magic from a reanimated corpse ressurected by Grima.

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 hours ago, XRay said:

You are not going to promote Tobin 4* to 5* and get a 5*+1? I prefer to keep all my limited heroes because I may eventually get around to promote them someday. Merging them before 5* feels like I am going to miss out on their full potential.

I mean, I don't care for Tobin -- maybe I would have if I played Gaiden or Echoes before -- and he's just taking up space for me. He's kind of like a collectible that you forget you have and then complain about when you realize you're short on space. At least the game reminds you that Fettuccine Alfredo is a main course character, so, you have no choice, but to accept it.

32 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The fact that countless alternate universes exist does not logicly imply there exist a world where Cordelia and Chrom are married. It might exist, but it's not guranteed from just that fact.

40 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

The accepted definition of material that is canon by what you stated by Google there that it is explicitly recognized as genuine.

A generic "a world out there with infinite possibilities" is a literal cop out so that they don't step on anyone's toes. This is, after all, a fanservice game.

The outrealms was never part of the main story of Awakening or Fates. If they were, deeprealm lore would solve all of Nohr's famine problems.

Canon defines the world which the author makes has to have boundaries. "When everything is canon" nothing is.

You could argue that Paris/Prism is canonically a clone of Ike forged from the memories of Soren's dragon blood via the Grimleal's magic from a reanimated corpse ressurected by Grima.

Well, if we narrowly restrict canon to just its significance to the main plot line, then almost no detail matters. No marriage is canon, no children is canon except Lucina, Donnel and Mozu are not canon, anything optional and does not affect the plot is non canon, etc.

We do not know how exactly Priam came about, so anything can be canon. Even if the author specified how he came to be, the situation that you mentioned is just as canon since the multiverse theory allows it to happen.

The cop out may be for fans, but it might be there for the authors as well. It is possible the Dragon's Gate helped quell internal politics and waifu wars between the developers.

11 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

The fact that countless alternate universes exist does not logicly imply there exist a world where Cordelia and Chrom are married. It might exist, but it's not guranteed from just that fact.

Well, hacking exists, and I am sure some hacker paired Cordelia with Chrom and Streetpassed that file to everyone they encounter.

Edited by XRay

I think it's fair to say that there's a canon timeline where any combination of actions the game allows happens. So there are timelines where Chrom marries Sully, timelines where he marries Robin, etc., but not necessarily any timelines where he marries Cordelia, because the game doesn't let you do that. The fact that a hacked game allows it doesn't make a regular game allow it.