Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The upgraded weapons and assist skills are worth 300 SP, which puts staff users on par with other units of their class (ranged infantry/cavalry).

Awesome, thanks.  Just to clarify, is that on par with other units of their class with similar tier skills (ie: a healer with these weapons and assists would be worth more than another of their class with only a normal +weapon and reposition, for instance)?

7 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Awesome, thanks.  Just to clarify, is that on par with other units of their class with similar tier skills (ie: a healer with these weapons and assists would be worth more than another of their class with only a normal +weapon and reposition, for instance)?

Yes.

5-star staff weapons are the same SP cost as 5-star weapons of other types. 5-star staff assist skills are the same SP cost as dual Rallies.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Do the blessings appear on enemy units in Arena?  I haven't seen any, but I may have overlooked them.

Yes they do

Saw a Gwen with one earlier today

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Sadly, none of my core team actually have weapons that I can upgrade, so this might hurt me a bit.

I want to know why and how in the fricking flip you have 200k feathers

If you dont know what to spend them on, you can promote units with meh-tier weapons and feed them to your OP units with lots of SP, then upgrade them with Refining stones for soul dew if you ever see fit. Just throwing that out there
Give them to me

Thanks for pinging me, you actually reminded me to post this

EoqPc8Q.png

4906! LIT

11 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Yes they do

Saw a Gwen with one earlier today

I want to know why and how in the fricking flip you have 200k feathers

If you dont know what to spend them on, you can promote units with meh-tier weapons and feed them to your OP units with lots of SP, then upgrade them with Refining stones for soul dew if you ever see fit. Just throwing that out there
Give them to me

Thanks for pinging me, you actually reminded me to post this

EoqPc8Q.png

4906! LIT

Do the blessings only do anything if you also have Fjorm on your team?  I've got my one blessing, but I don't know who to give it to, since I don't want to waste it.

I am very indecisive when it comes to promoting units.  Although I have decided to promote as many Titanias as possible to merge into mine.  Sadly, I did not get any more Titanias summoning today.

I hoard things.  I also have over 200 Stamina Potions and 360 Arena Crests.

Congrats, by the way!

Edited by Rezzy

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Do the blessings only do anything if you also have Fjorm on your team?  I've got my one blessing, but I don't know who to give it to, since I don't want to waste it.

I am very indecisive when it comes to promoting units.  Although I have decided to promote as many Titanias as possible to merge into mine.  Sadly, I did not get any more Titanias summoning today.

I hoard things.  I also have over 200 Stamina Potions and 360 Arena Crests.

Congrats, by the way!

Thank

Also it does only work with Fjorm on the team, though there may be other legendary heroes coming with water blessing bonuses. I am keeping mine as well.

40 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Gotcha, thanks.  Wasn't positive if healers being low point value was only due to weapon/skills or if they had an innately low modifier (like Cavalry).

One minor note where you might bleed a few points is the special. Imbue is only worth 50 and the Balms are 150, compared to the usual 200 for a tier-2 special a mage might bring. Miracle is the only one that matches up (and then has no equivalent to AoEs or Aether).

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I found that many Fire Emblem characters who lost to me are having an identity crisis.  @Arcanite @MrSmokestack @Vaximillian @SatsumaFSoysoy @Infinite Dreams

[PIC]

Ahaha, ooh, looks like you aren't having any problems getting defense wins anymore, eh?  That's good.

---

Okay, finished my AA run.  Another new record for me.  :):  It's a good week!

r43N7lTl.png

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Generally speaking, limited unit boosts tend to have 2 choices on who you put them on:

People that make use of them the best.

People that benefit from them most often.

I personally slap everything on whatever primary dancer I'm using (currently Axe!Azura), because it's hard to imagine a team that she wouldn't be on, even if she doesn't actually need any extra stats to do her job.

Just remember that not using a resource is equivalent to not having it in the first place.

Did my AA deathless 7 streak for the season with a new personal highscore of 4952.

Score boost because Cherche got another merge (misses only one for 4* +10) and Galeforce. I met much more Rheinhardts and Lyns than last week. All of them at least +7, most of them +10. I wonder at what range they get less common. 

8 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Just remember that not using a resource is equivalent to not having it in the first place.

Also remember that using a resource on something that doesn't actually benefit from it is also equivalent to not having it in the first place.

Or using a resource on something that doesn't actually get used.

Meaning it's better to hold onto the resource than to use it on something that can't make use of it or won't be used often enough.

Alright! Got a deathless arena run (I wasn't even trying) of 4896. I can try fishing for 491x but I'll only keep going for arena medals.

On Arena Assault I got a deathless run of 4926. I may need to merge BK to +1 and see if I can get more Eirikas to improve my score and to finish my dream of 5*+10 Eirika

Edited by Alexmender

15 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

One minor note where you might bleed a few points is the special. Imbue is only worth 50 and the Balms are 150, compared to the usual 200 for a tier-2 special a mage might bring. Miracle is the only one that matches up (and then has no equivalent to AoEs or Aether).

I don't mind using Miracle, and only one member of my current team uses AoE/Aether so it wouldn't be much of a hit.  Thinking about it on the way to work though made me realize the A-skill hit is going to hurt quite bad, as you either have to take a low cost skill or a detrimental skill.  Can a healer even use Close Counter?  Not sure since the wiki only says "ranged weapon users", and I'm not sure if a staff counts as a weapon in this case.  Those or really rare skills, like the Split Stat Bond skills, HP/Stat boosts, and Close/Distant Defense.

Guess there's more A skills available to them than I thought, but still costly and none boost attack outside of combat without losing points.

Edited by GinRei

8 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Can a healer even use Close Counter?

Yes.

9 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Not sure since the wiki only says "ranged weapon users", and I'm not sure if a staff counts as a weapon in this case.

Any skill that equips in the weapon slot is a weapon.

So far my Arena team is pretty awesome now.
I got 4,994 points on normal run this week and 5,008 points on Arena assault.
Offensiv A.Tiki was a real good decision. Turns out that she is also nice on player phase on some enemies. Even Reinhardt with full HP was punished from Tiki on Player turn.
I think this update should give her a higher place on tier lists. Depending on how useful she is in a defense team. But I shall not rejoice too early. I don't know how things will change if Deathblow seal will be released. So far there have been many good defensiv seals on the way. It is only a matter of time until more offensiv seals are coming.

At least for now I'm pretty well of.

Edited by Stroud

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Also remember that using a resource on something that doesn't actually benefit from it is also equivalent to not having it in the first place.

Or using a resource on something that doesn't actually get used.

Meaning it's better to hold onto the resource than to use it on something that can't make use of it or won't be used often enough.

Personally I just slap everything on the dancer. (Because the dancer's always going to be used, and hey, giver her enough boosts and even the -6BST (or whatever) penalty doesn't matter anymore.)

Part of the point of powercreep is to make people know they can just spend limited use resources immediately, on the units they like, because limited resources will have better replacements soon anyway, so you might as well get their full benefit immediately. (Like, let's say Firesweep in the B-slot comes out, obsoleting Windsweep and Watersweep, yeah, it's bad in that two old skills basically got dumpstered, but it's good in that now it doesn't matter if you used up your Alm/Soren already, meaning you can't hand out more sweeps, because Firesweep's available to be given instead.)

Honestly the main issue with blessings is that it's not so much an support---like Summoner support---as a really weirdly worded Drive effect. (Since it all comes from the legendary hero). Fjorm's okay---her spreads a bit average for my taste, but her base kit's fine---but, well, even assuming she gives Drive Spd/Res 4 (or however you want to call the legendary effect), it really doesn't push her into 'I need to run her every water season' territory.

Now, if she were a bonus unit, that'd be a different matter---but I'd be running her for bonus unit reasons, even if I had no one that gets buffed on the team.

7 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Personally I just slap everything on the dancer. (Because the dancer's always going to be used, and hey, giver her enough boosts and even the -6BST (or whatever) penalty doesn't matter anymore.)

Literally the only teams that I use a dancer on anymore are my training team (where I need the unit I'm training to have extra actions), my Peri solo team (where I need Peri to have all four of my turn's actions), and my dragon team (because one of the dragons just so happens to be a dancer).

21 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

(Like, let's say Firesweep in the B-slot comes out, obsoleting Windsweep and Watersweep, yeah, it's bad in that two old skills basically got dumpstered, but it's good in that now it doesn't matter if you used up your Alm/Soren already, meaning you can't hand out more sweeps, because Firesweep's available to be given instead.)

Ahem. Ignoring the fact that Firesweep would not make Windsweep or Watersweep obsolete because counter killing is still a thing (and refined Smoke Dagger+ and refined Rogue Dagger+ are also now a thing). The situations where Windsweep and Watersweep are useful are not identically the same situations where Firesweep is useful.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Literally the only teams that I use a dancer on anymore are my training team (where I need the unit I'm training to have extra actions), my Peri solo team (where I need Peri to have all four of my turn's actions), and my dragon team (because one of the dragons just so happens to be a dancer).

The thing about the dancer isn't that they're necessary, it's that they're practically never bad. (Hence why they're on so much of my teams.)

Like, if the best unit for a given team scores 100/100, it'd be extremely hard for a dancer to score less than 90/100.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Ahem. Ignoring the fact that Firesweep would not make Windsweep or Watersweep obsolete because counter killing is still a thing (and refined Smoke Dagger+ and refined Rogue Dagger+ are also now a thing). The situations where Windsweep and Watersweep are useful are not identically the same situations where Firesweep is useful.

You know what I meant. -_-

Even drives aren't strictly superior to spurs, even if they effectively obsoleted them.

2 hours ago, Alexmender said:

This looks like fun for super whales. 

It looks like blessings count for score (roughly 3 points before doubling) if the legendary hero that provides the bonuses is also on the team. There are now some really weird teams up in the 746-point range.

It also looks like I cannot find the player with the 750-point team. Either the matchmaking score range is narrowed at the top, or I'm suspecting collusion since currently only one player has a 7250-point run on the leaderboard.

Also, it seems like they've finally fixed the fact that Amelia's score overflows if she has too much SP in her build, meaning I can now run my Amelia with a 240-point Sacred Seal.

EDIT: I found the team. It's Fjorm, Hector, Amelia, and Amelia, all with blessings.

It's also hilarious seeing a Fjorm with Distant Counter.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Also, it seems like they've finally fixed the fact that Amelia's score overflows if she has too much SP in her build, meaning I can now run my Amelia with a 240-point Sacred Seal.

Quadtails Severa/Selena worth 750 alone when?

Also my beginner assault scores plummeted since the update. What was around 4600 is now around 4440. Not fun, much like the mode itself.

7 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Quadtails Severa/Selena worth 750 alone when?

Also my beginner assault scores plummeted since the update. What was around 4600 is now around 4440. Not fun, much like the mode itself.

Are you sure your team isn't growing moldy?

Things are... less easy now up in my range. I want to get my own Fjorm up to get out of the now really weird 746 range, but... things are weird and kind of interesting, if still weird.

I found a Mist with Dazzling Gravity+. I managed to pull her away from the rest of the team super easily with Ninian on a fortification tile while Eldigan, Elise, and Frederick cleaned up the armors and Fjorm. It was rather funny.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Are you sure your team isn't growing moldy?

There’s this strange blue aura on Reinhardt’s portrait. Is this mould?

I’m almost sure the update changed the calculations.