Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

If it helps at all, my defense team is Ryoma (replaced with Ike just because I want Ike as my rep), Julia, Ninian, and Reinhardt (in that order).

Have no Ryoma nor Ike nor Julia. Not going to pull on the golden banner because I need to save orbs for Julia's.
Definitely gimping myself there abstaining from the lobster but orbs are finite.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

What a goddamn savage. I didn't know you had it in you.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm proud of you :')

If it helps at all, my defense team is Ryoma (replaced with Ike just because I want Ike as my rep), Julia, Ninian, and Reinhardt (in that order). 

That team usually gets me 10-20 wins per season. 

Ey i got Ryoma Nino Ninian (got Azura Too) and Gordin  is similar ( dont have blue casters) It can works? 0 defenses in 2 weeks...

Wich skills can i put for defences in those units? Thaaanks.

Edited by ignis_z

Just now, ignis_z said:

Ey i got Ryoma Nino Ninian (got Azura Too) and Gordin  is similar ( dont have blue casters) It can works? 0 defenses in 2 weeks...

Gordin can't OHKO 90%+ of the entire Heroes cast by himself, nor does he have 3 mov to allow him to reach from the starting position on the bridge map all the way to the enemy starting position in a single turn (with a dancer). 

I'm fairly certain Reinhardt is single-handedly responsible for at least half of my wins. 

5 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Gordin can't OHKO 90%+ of the entire Heroes cast by himself, nor does he have 3 mov to allow him to reach from the starting position on the bridge map all the way to the enemy starting position in a single turn (with a dancer). 

I'm fairly certain Reinhardt is single-handedly responsible for at least half of my wins. 

Mmm i got Lilina Lachesis Fae clair Camilla in 5 star Too. Gordin kills a los in atak, is useless in defences sure?

3 minutes ago, ignis_z said:

Mmm i got Lilina Lachesis Fae clair Camilla in 5 star Too. Gordin kills a los in atak, is useless in defences sure?

Lachesis (healers in general) isn't very good in Arena right now. 

Gordin is fine as a unit, honestly, and he might be one of the best you have. 

He's no Reinhardt, but he's still a solid character. 

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

Just now, MaskedAmpharos said:

Lachesis (healers in general) aren't very good in Arena right now. 

Gordin is fine as a unit, honestly, and he might be one of the best you have. 

He's no Reinhardt, but he's still a solid character. 

Then i Will use It for Defense i got Azura i can try double  blue dancer or its uselles?

Just now, ignis_z said:

Then i Will use It for Defense i got Azura i can try double  blue dancer or its uselles?

I mean you can try it, but I don't think double dancer is very effective in the hands of AI. 

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I mean you can try it, but I don't think double dancer is very effective in the hands of AI. 

Oki the ill use Gordin, Lilina i have moonbow with her Too. But i dont know hehhehe

5 star Klein. Lv 38, using Arena to grind him for free, so he gets most kills. No SI. Levels up on the final battle.

3 star Olivia lv 1, raised from 1 star to get hone atk 2, no SI.

5 star Alphonse Lv 40. Drag Back support skill and swordbreaker 1 for better utility

4 star Anna Lv 40. No SI.

4254 points, advanced deathless. That's a record for me. Rank is currently 45064.

Edited by Gustavos

so it turns out promoing Olivia to 5* was the worst mistake i could have made because now the arena has suddenly jumped up its game and decided that i should never have a deathless run ever again. jeez, a Reindhart, Olwen, Ryoma, and Kagerou team ended up being the worst. i barely made it out with my M Corrin as the last one standing with like 15 HP. there was a Kagerou every match almost which usually isn't a problem but suddenly. idk. i even faced an Armour Emblem but only Hector had Distance Counter so it was okay. 

and then suddenly i get this breath of fresh air with a full melee meh team. and they have this Michalis...

c5071609be78928756fb981e964cb618.png

6671a5e286dd25a88bf1cc12aef1b548.png

3089a39929dd07154e7728ba67327825.png

no!!!

why???!

anyways...

score: 4,420

i will try a deathless again later but the arena terrifies and stresses me out now.

1 minute ago, wizzard of soz said:

so it turns out promoing Olivia to 5* was the worst mistake i could have made because now the arena has suddenly jumped up its game and decided that i should never have a deathless run ever again. jeez, a Reindhart, Olwen, Ryoma, and Kagerou team ended up being the worst. i barely made it out with my M Corrin as the last one standing with like 15 HP. there was a Kagerou every match almost which usually isn't a problem but suddenly. idk. i even faced an Armour Emblem but only Hector had Distance Counter so it was okay. 

and then suddenly i get this breath of fresh air with a full melee meh team. and they have this Michalis...

c5071609be78928756fb981e964cb618.png

6671a5e286dd25a88bf1cc12aef1b548.png

3089a39929dd07154e7728ba67327825.png

no!!!

why???!

anyways...

score: 4,420

i will try a deathless again later but the arena terrifies and stresses me out now.

I've heard of somebody finding a -Speed Cherche with Desperation 3 during a Gauntlet battle. With a Brave Axe equipped. 

That poor, poor soul.

4 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

I've heard of somebody finding a -Speed Cherche with Desperation 3 during a Gauntlet battle. With a Brave Axe equipped. 

That poor, poor soul.

pfhaha, that's hilarious! surely whoever has that Cherche just did it as a joke...i...or maybe they misread it, it could be misinterpreted as getting a free double regardless of speed i guess? if so, poor soul indeed. a lotta SP down the drain, rip. 

4 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Eh. All you need is a solid team really. Amphy gets a trillion wins per season with his MLG team of destruction

That's kind of disingenuous.  Two people could run the exact same defense team with one getting >10 wins a week and the other getting none.  It's pure luck on who gets matched against you and who actually fights you.  And don't forget how important the map you get stuck on is.  I lost 4 fights today because of atrocious maps for the teams I had to face.

Hating Anna right now because she's not 5-star, so offensively she's super meh.  Turned her into a buff bot, but unlike Sharena she can't take a hit from anything but Triangle Adept blues.

2 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Probably.  He's a pain to fight if you get an unlucky map.  Especially the one with the breakable walls where you start on the left and them on the right.  Lost 3 of my 4 fights today because of an enemy Reinhardt + dancer on that map.  He can basically hit anyone except those on the very top left on the first turn.

Need some freaking feathers so I can raise my own Reinhardt to 5-stars already.  Though then Xander would have to wait another month, which would be a shame since he'll be in the next hero bonus.

6 hours ago, Othin said:

Managed to get a deathless run on my first attempt with Marth/Sharena/Hector/Anna, first time that's been that easy in a while. I wasn't expecting much out of Anna, especially on this team, but apparently she's perfectly fine. Got a score of 4,812, which I believe is my new high score, and a current rank of 2,007 which hopefully has a secure top 5k position. Still need a defense win, though.

6 hours later, down to 2,180. With three days to go, this rate seems fine, I think?

Stuck Xander on my defense team, since being mounted and having a 1-2 range counter seem like two things that could help mess with people. Looking forward to having Reinhardt join him in a couple of weeks for even more bullshit.

Spoiler

Everything is just so much easier with Zephiel rather than Navarre. (Last fight was interesting, fought a double dancer team with Lukas---who couldn't even double -Spd Klein---and Klein. Mispositioned, so had to have Cordelia run into Lukas to trigger Galeforce and KO him with her second turn, because Klein needed the dance to reach the other Klein. After that it was 4 dudes vs. 2 dancers---when the whole enemy team is dancers, no one on the enemy team is dancer.)

Edit: No idea why that Lukas wasn't running Bonfire.

Edited by DehNutCase

Heh, sounds like a team I ran into last week, but that one was built better. Well, mostly, anyway. It had Olivia and Azura with WoM3 and Lukas with Ignis, which could all be really bad for someone who just baits him without thinking about it. The questionable choices were Lukas having the Carrot Lance+ and Eirika tagging along as the fourth (some kind of mage or cavalry support would have helped Lukas a lot more).

My score is sitting at 4,812 (rank 2,192) but unfortunately no defense wins to this point. The team I'm running is as follow:

5* Eldigan: Mystletainn, Reposition, Moonbow, Fury 3, Brash Assault 2 (kinda filler skill), Hone Spd 3, Attack +1

5* Nino: Gronnblade+, Draw Back, Draconic Aura, Fury 3, Desperation 3, Hone Atk 3, Speed +1

5* Ephraim: Siegmund, Rally Defense, Moonbow, Attack +2 (filler skill), Seal Def 3 (also kinda filler), Fortify Res 3

5* Zephiel: Eckesachs, Pivot, Bonfire, HP +5 (filler), Wary Fighter 3, Hone Atk 3, HP +3

Just today I ran into some poor soul who had Quick Riposte 2 on their Hector (and also the Speed +1 seal but I'm not sure if that's as bad). I also saw an Azura with a Heavy Spear. No, not a Heavy Spear+, just a Heavy Spear. She also had Windsweep 3 and Threaten Spd 1 (with the Speed +1 seal) for some reason.

8 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Just today I ran into some poor soul who had Quick Riposte 2 on their Hector (and also the Speed +1 seal but I'm not sure if that's as bad). I also saw an Azura with a Heavy Spear. No, not a Heavy Spear+, just a Heavy Spear. She also had Windsweep 3 and Threaten Spd 1 (with the Speed +1 seal) for some reason.

The Azura might be because they don't need her to kill reds, so the Spear + Sweep combo let's her finish off Vantage Hector (and other armors) safely (she pokes for 10 damage v. Hector for free.) The build has no business being on a defense team, though.

And I'll have you know QR2 Brave Axe Hector is a legit build, Kappa. No Kappa. (It's actually decently strong, but only useful if opponents aren't paying any attention at all to your skills, in which case WoM & Brave Axe+ is better anyway.)

4 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

And I'll have you know QR2 Brave Axe Hector is a legit build, Kappa. No Kappa. (It's actually decently strong, but only useful if opponents aren't paying any attention at all to your skills, in which case WoM & Brave Axe+ is better anyway.)

I suppose I should've also specified that the Hector was using Armads.

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I suppose I should've also specified that the Hector was using Armads.

I'm now wondering if Quick Riposte 2 stacks with Armads to allow Hector to completely cancel out Wary Fighter regardless of his Spd.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm now wondering if Quick Riposte 2 stacks with Armads to allow Hector to completely cancel out Wary Fighter regardless of his Spd.

Would also cancel breakers, ruining some Axe-Breaker dreams, if it worked. (Which it should, since it's 2 force doubles v. 1 prevent double.)

1 hour ago, GinRei said:

That's kind of disingenuous.  Two people could run the exact same defense team with one getting >10 wins a week and the other getting none.  It's pure luck on who gets matched against you and who actually fights you.  And don't forget how important the map you get stuck on is.  I lost 4 fights today because of atrocious maps for the teams I had to face.

Hating Anna right now because she's not 5-star, so offensively she's super meh.  Turned her into a buff bot, but unlike Sharena she can't take a hit from anything but Triangle Adept blues.

Probably.  He's a pain to fight if you get an unlucky map.  Especially the one with the breakable walls where you start on the left and them on the right.  Lost 3 of my 4 fights today because of an enemy Reinhardt + dancer on that map.  He can basically hit anyone except those on the very top left on the first turn.

That doesn't sound right to me.

It can't be denied that there's some luck in what maps you roll, but the teams you take into said maps do make a difference.

I don't know anything about your team other than that you're running Anna as a bonus unit, but I do know that Anna isn't suited to buffing; she can take on magical blues pretty well with her high Spd and Res, though her Atk is indeed less than impressive without support. Have you considered using Zephiel? He's much more useful overall, with the bulk to meatshield incredibly well. All he really needs is Pivot imo.

Defense wins have some degree of randomness to them, but team composition does matter. I personally find it hard to believe that the same players get the same or relative number of defense wins per week, without having to look much at their composition, is just a coincidence. But there's other factors involved besides "Reinhardt rolls" in the case of @MaskedAmpharos, specifically; perhaps the opponent in question was surrendering to give players free defense wins, or they misplayed when they would have otherwise won. It's nigh impossible to deduce the circumstances in which someone acquired a defense win.

Unless you bring in an exceptionally poor team, I'm not convinced that there is any team against which you would have lost instatntly from turn 1, before anyone has moved; from Repositioning to just making some planning beforehand, there are lots of ways to avoid losing someone. Have you considered running different compositions? Zephiel and Hana are a great place to start from--and are how a number of people, myself included, have been able to perform their deathless runs.

It isn't just a matter of luck that some people are able to place better than others; they have to do the same maps as everyone else and their teams have to address the same threats. Pinning it on something outside of your control isn't a healthy mindset. Because otherwise, why bother playing, then?