Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

9 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I bumped my Hana to 5* for this season, and she cleaned house incredibly well. Best Lucina sub I've ever used.

Don't give her Vantage though, her counters aren't strong enough to compensate for her defenses. I personally went Brave since she had LaD already. With +Atk and an Atk seal, she can cleave through quite a few high-def enemies incredibly well.

I'm hoping to go Brave Hana eventually since that build is...kind of OP. It really surprised me. With Vantage though, there have been a few times in the Training Tower where she could tank a hit from an axe user and finish him off, and she would have been able to finish off the next guy that attacked her had she had Vantage. I think it's more of a precaution than anything to keep my somewhat questionable strategizing in check. Plus I don't have enough Desperation for EVERYONE. 

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I'm hoping to go Brave Hana eventually since that build is...kind of OP. It really surprised me. With Vantage though, there have been a few times in the Training Tower where she could tank a hit from an axe user and finish him off, and she would have been able to finish off the next guy that attacked her had she had Vantage. I think it's more of a precaution than anything to keep my somewhat questionable strategizing in check. Plus I don't have enough Desperation for EVERYONE. 

I'm too poor to run the full Desperation set. I haven't even pulled any Shannas, for that matter! I just used Swordbreaker for her B skill, instead. I used positioning skills to keep her out of danger should she get hit, like with Nino's Draw Back or Effie's Pivot. She also has reposition to move the latter as a meatshield or to pull the former away from a threat.

Hana's bulk can be circumvented in a lot of ways without having to burn skills to fix it.

Edited by MrSmokestack

2 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

I bumped my Hana to 5* for this season, and she cleaned house incredibly well. Best Lucina sub I've ever used.

Don't give her Vantage though, her counters aren't strong enough to compensate for her defenses. I personally went Brave since she had LaD already. With +Atk and an Atk seal, she can cleave through quite a few high-def enemies incredibly well.

I tried to go with Zephiel along side a horse emblem team. The Calvary did fine, but the liberator could not keep up or at least get out of the way. I have a neutral Hana around. This set sounds pretty good. 

14 minutes ago, Rezanator said:

I tried to go with Zephiel along side a horse emblem team. The Calvary did fine, but the liberator could not keep up or at least get out of the way. I have a neutral Hana around. This set sounds pretty good. 

Pivot Armors are way easier to use. Without Cherche or Marth fodder to pass it, it's less ideal, I'll admit.

+Atk Hana cuts it close, so yours being neutral is concerning. Unless you have a Brave+ to pass to her, it'll be hard to cover the 3 Atk deficit. For example, +Atk Hana ORKO's +Def Takumi with the Atk +1 seal--49 Atk, and can KO neutral Ike with a +4 Atk buff. She's much harder to use otherwise.

Edited by MrSmokestack

Well, I'm officially as committed to the magical school girl as my loli dragon. I went ahead and spent my remaining feathers to upgrade another Nino to +1 her. Figured she deserves it because she's as a swiss army knife to content. Even Nowi doesn't see as broad use as her (though she does need Eirika to do her thing). She's probably the only one I feel confident I'll get all of my investment back for and more (Nowi is the next closest, since she's an Arena mainstay, but regularly gets rotated out for other content).

Despite that, there are things Nino just can't handle. Almost lost my most recent streak to a +HP/Fury 3/Vantage Kagero who Nino couldn't quite one-round even with +14 Atk in buffs (couldn't get Soren up to her for the final +4 and she was short by 2). It was super cramped. An enemy TA2 Nowi threatened Eirika. I was also worried Ryoma might break the wall and let Kagero gank her. But, trying that the AI would favour combat over gratuitous vandalism (and the fact that Eirika could barely tank that Nowi), I had Nowi chip Kagero for just over half her HP. Nino couldn't finish because of Vantage, so I had to back her off. This left no room for Soren to advance or Eirika to retreat. Then Nowi went on a murderous rampage. Kagero took off most of her health, then got counter-killed. Ryoma got Vantage one-shot. Next turn, my Nowi dropped a Bonfire bomb on the enemy Nowi (she was Quick Riposte, so I was safe, even though Eirika's Moonbow had done surprisingly sizable damage). After that, the poor enemy Hector got run over by Nino. A shame Nowi couldn't take him, otherwise she would have murdered the whole enemy team.

Anyway, score of 4822:

• May 3 9PM PT - #1276

Should safely be top 5k. No hope of cracking top 1k without some severe fishing, though. Don't really want to blow the crests unless I have close to a deathless streak done, so I guess I'll see what the rest of the week's free swords hold.

@MrSmokestack 

For the bonus points I can use Hana, Zephiel, Barts and, 3* Clarine. Once I have Peri L&D/Brave Lance/Hone Calvary ready to replace Gunter, it should take care of any red units. It is hard to run a 2 green, red, and blue team at the moment. Then I guess it would not make too much of a difference between a Pivot Zephiel and a LD/Brave sword Hana. At least I do have a spare Marth/ Cherce. 

This week I'm running Soren, Eirika, Sharena, and Takumi or Jeorge.

Soren seems to be doing pretty well this week even without any skill inheritance (I'm just testing him out for now). No deathless yet but that's because I ran into a Wings of Mercy Hector that I didn't catch.
I've already discussed it plenty here and in the skill inheritance thread, but I'm still not sure about which A skill to give Soren: Fury 3 or Triangle Adept 2 (2, because I don't want to spend 20k feathers to get 3 and don't have a Roy).

Oh, and I forgot to mention in the previous post: shout-outs to Watersweep almost contributing to saving one of the attempted streaks from deaths. He was able to chip a Green Tomebreaker Julia that Nino wasn't able to one-shot. It's a shame it was on the dumb sewers maps that didn't leave enough space for her to safely take the kill. That team brought double Green Tomebreaker, though, so it's pretty clear what they were shooting for.

So I finally got a deathless run for this week... only to score 4776, same as 2 weeks ago, and 8 points lower then last week.

Even though I now have Soren instead of Jeorge, so I have 12 more stat points on my team... but my score DROPPED? WHAT?

Could this be because Soren didn't have an assist skill, and only had New Moon (not enough SP for Luna yet) as his activation? Does having one empty skill slot really make this much of difference? Or was I just extremely unlucky with facing low score teams throughout this run? It's just strange to me, replacing a unit for a higher stat one but my score dropped?

p7UDzpr.png?1

5 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Could this be because Soren didn't have an assist skill, and only had New Moon (not enough SP for Luna yet) as his activation? Does having one empty skill slot really make this much of difference? Or was I just extremely unlucky with facing low score teams throughout this run? It's just strange to me, replacing a unit for a higher stat one but my score dropped?

Stats almost don't matter anymore, it's rarity, merge level, and equipped skills that count. The more SP a skill costs, the more it weighs.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Stats almost don't matter anymore, it's rarity, merge level, and equipped skills that count. The more SP a skill costs, the more it weighs.

Ah. So merged units score higher simply because they are merged, not because they have higher stats.

So that means I need to give Soren an assist skill, even though it will probably never be used. And getting Luna should help too. Huh.

Any suggestions for an assist for Soren? I really cant think of what could be useful, with Eirika and Sharena I already have speed, attack, and defense buffs on my team and Soren has Fortify Res, so none of the rally skills seem useful.

10 minutes ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Any suggestions for an assist for Soren? I really cant think of what could be useful, with Eirika and Sharena I already have speed, attack, and defense buffs on my team and Soren has Fortify Res, so none of the rally skills seem useful.

It's hard to go wrong with Draw Back or another positioning skill.

Managed to get a deathless run on my first attempt with Marth/Sharena/Hector/Anna, first time that's been that easy in a while. I wasn't expecting much out of Anna, especially on this team, but apparently she's perfectly fine. Got a score of 4,812, which I believe is my new high score, and a current rank of 2,007 which hopefully has a secure top 5k position. Still need a defense win, though.

4 hours ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Ah. So merged units score higher simply because they are merged, not because they have higher stats.

So that means I need to give Soren an assist skill, even though it will probably never be used. And getting Luna should help too. Huh.

Yeah BST is mostly irrelevant now. You can get the same score using Reinhardt as using Hector. All that matters are merge levels and skills. 

Repositioning skills like Draw Back and, well, Reposition generally offer a lot more utility to a team than the Rally buffs anyways, so I would definitely go with those. 

The one you go with is pretty dependent on user preference, but I personally favor either Draw Back or Reposition on a ranged unit like Soren. 

8 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Woohoo!

No optimization go!

That's pretty cool, actually. Congrats!

And here am I, almost given up hope for any defence victory.
By the way, why are we limited to only five slots for teams?

13 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:
Woohoo!

No optimization go!

Current rank is 9848.

I'm not staying there for long.

First time in the 4.7k range eh? Our little Rey is growing up

Congrats man!

Just now, Vaximillian said:

As have I. Reposition update killed my defence wins.

Eh. All you need is a solid team really. Amphy gets a trillion wins per season with his MLG team of destruction

About dang time @shadowofchaos! Nice!

I just finished up my first 7 streak since the season began. 4 deaths net'd me 4520. Sure would've been nice battling a team that didn't have Azura in it but nooooooooo, the arena wants to remind me that I don't have nice things in every match (3x Flier Emblem + Azura and Hector Emblem + Azura were some of the more unusual sights).

After SI, I'm seeing 682~684 as my consistent scores, with SI'd Anna/Alfred/Nowi/Julia. Other than the fact that I don't really know what sword to replace Alf with (Unit List Here), would swapping Alf for Olivia hurt my score that much? i'd test but I lack 20000 feathers to run checks on points.

5 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Eh. All you need is a solid team really. Amphy gets a trillion wins per season with his MLG team of destruction

An even more solid team? I can't have Wings of Mercy on every unit because I don't have the fodder.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

An even more solid team? I can't have Wings of Mercy on every unit because I don't have the fodder.

Your team can't be "even more solid" if it isn't "solid" enough to get wins in the first place

What do you have as your 4 units on defense? what have you tried?

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

What do you have as your 4 units on defense? what have you tried?

Sharena / Lilina / Ninian / Reinhardt right now.

Tried various combinations of Sharena, Lilina, Reinhardt, Ninian, Nowi, female Corrin, Nino, Eirika, Ursula, Soren.

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Your team can't be "even more solid" if it isn't "solid" enough to get wins in the first place

What a goddamn savage. I didn't know you had it in you.

Spoiler

I'm proud of you :')

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Sharena / Lilina / Ninian / Reinhardt right now.

Tried various combinations of Sharena, Lilina, Reinhardt, Ninian, Nowi, female Corrin, Nino, Eirika, Ursula, Soren.

If it helps at all, my defense team is Ryoma (replaced with Ike just because I want Ike as my rep), Julia, Ninian, and Reinhardt (in that order). 

That team usually gets me 10-20 wins per season.