Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...Being a better unit in the meta shouldn't matter. This is a popularity contest.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure where you're getting from that Julia must have been unpopular. Genealogy isn't even as unknown a game in the West, with almost a cult-like following. Tellius, on the other hand, is more controversial with regards to popularity.

Also, Roy doesn't suck as a unit in his own game.

Edited by Vaximillian

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...No it does not. If being great automatically makes you popular and not being great makes you unpopular, why do people love Roy so much? He sucks as a unit in his game and isn't as good as other sword lords in Heroes either.

Well, when you're one of the few true Reinhardt counters, and generally a great delete button, you do gain some popularity as a character. Being great doesn't automatically make you popular, but it's one of the things that can boost your popularity.

Roy is just popular because of Smash, honestly. Anyone who's played FE6 hates his guts.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

To be quite honest, I'm not sure where you're getting from that Julia must have been unpopular. Genealogy isn't even as unknown a game in the West, with almost a cult-like following. Tellius, on the other hand, is more controversial with regards to popularity.

Sanaki did WAYYYYY better than Julia in the choose your legends poll. Even in FE4 she's not really that popular.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...No it does not. If being great automatically makes you popular and not being great makes you unpopular, why do people love Roy so much? He sucks as a unit in his game and isn't as good as other sword lords in Heroes either.

1) I didn't say the bolded part. 2) Roy is popular in part because of Smash. 3) For fans of Heroes, the units that consistently get them out of difficult spots are going to earn more goodwill. It's not a universal rule, but it is a strong general indicator.

And @Arcanite : It's sad because it's true. Poor Nino... :-(

Edited by Seafarer

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Because FE4 is Japan-only which means very few people in the west actually played it to get to know Julia? While RD was released internationally so people around the world were able to play it or gain some familiarity with its characters?

Also, yes he does. Meh growths, super late promotion, etc.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Roy is just popular because of Smash, honestly. Anyone who's played FE6 hates his guts.

Yeah, Roy really does only have Smash fans. The FE fandom doesn't seem to like him much.

1 hour ago, fangpoint333 said:

Sanaki did WAYYYYY better than Julia in the choose your legends poll. Even in FE4 she's not really that popular.

You could vote up to thirteen times in the poll, here you choose one and stick with them. I get I am pretty much bullshitting my way through this discussion though, and thus will stop.

It's just Ana's claims aren't exactly founded.

@Anacybele, it doesn't matter where Tellius games were and weren't sold if they didn't sell as much as Genealogy did in Japan alone, and, IIRC, that was the case.

Edited by Vaximillian

Nah, they are. I've looked at Roy's growths and looked at info on his game awhile back to see if I could get interested in it. I didn't gain any interest, but I did remember what I saw.

And it IS a fact that FE4 is Japan only while PoR and RD were international releases. You can't say this is unfounded.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Being rude is not necessary, thanks.

I didn't think I was being rude, sorry. Just a simple joke.

But I think being a good unit in Heroes does somewhat apply to the popularity during Gauntlet. Maybe not by a lot though. Even though Leo is a super popular character outside of Heroes, you hear more people talk about characters like Linde here. (But to be fair, I haven't seen anything about Leo and Henry's results). I kind of wonder why they didn't choose Nino for this Gauntlet.

5 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

The thing is that she's popular as a unit (a green mage tank for walling Reinhardt and Linde). Many arena teams run Julia either on offense or defense.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, when you're one of the few true Reinhardt counters, and generally a great delete button, you do gain some popularity as a character. Being great doesn't automatically make you popular, but it's one of the things that can boost your popularity.

I have a feeling that "being good against Reinhardt and Linde" had less of an impact than just being a good unit in general.

Heroes is doing a good job of giving newer players exposure to the series, and for many players, this is their first time knowing who Julia is, and she's made a very good first impression on them. And first impressions matter.

Also she's adorable.

You could vote up to thirteen times in the poll, here you choose one and stick with them. I get I am pretty much bullshitting my way through this discussion though, and thus will stop.

People could have voted up to 13 times for Julia as well, so it's not really that much of a difference.

Japan likes Roy more because he came first.

*sigh* Unless Team Linde gets the 3x multiplier within the next 20 minutes, Team Tharja has already won.

Congrats, good game opponents. I'm actually surprised we even put in a fight at all against someone this popular.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nah, they are. I've looked at Roy's growths and looked at info on his game awhile back to see if I could get interested in it. I didn't gain any interest, but I did remember what I saw.

And it IS a fact that FE4 is Japan only while PoR and RD were international releases. You can't say this is unfounded.

Roy is by no means great, but he isn't as horrible as you make him out to be either. Sure, he does have his terrible midgame low and his growths are kind of crummy, but accurate Rapier damage is nice early on while the Western Isles are an axe festival, which benefits swords like him anyways. And when he finally promotes and gets his hands on the sword of seals, he's perfectly usable again as long as that thing doesn't break.

Btw, it's also a fact that this is still Heroes, so ingame performance has a huge impact on the results, and Julia's generally better than Sanaki. And it's not like the latter was one of the faces of her game, nor does she get a Smash or waifu bonus, so you might overestimate her popularity.

1 minute ago, Falcom said:

*sigh* Unless Team Linde gets the 3x multiplier within the next 20 minutes, Team Tharja has already won.

Congrats, good game opponents. I'm actually surprised we even put in a fight at all against someone this popular.

As far as I know, you can only get a x3 multiplier on the hour when the scores updates. Meaning that it's over for both Sanaki and Linde since we were just shy of the 'losing' threshold.

I'm pretty sure high scoring members of team Julia did the same thing as the top scorers of team Sanaki and that is to not do any gauntlet battles. The top 100 of Sanaki's army barely changed in the last 6 hours because people were desperately hoping for the x3 multiplier.

4 minutes ago, Sias said:

And it's not like the latter was one of the faces of her game, nor does she get a Smash or waifu bonus, so you might overestimate her popularity.

Well yeah, I didn't mean Sanaki was super popular or anything, but I figured Julia was unknown enough not to get many as many followers.

21 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Did you just...sum up the Fire Emblem fandom so easily?

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Well yeah, I didn't mean Sanaki was super popular or anything, but I figured Julia was unknown enough not to get many as many followers.

Japan actually remembers their older games, and IIRC 4 sold better than both Tellius games combined there.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Did you just...sum up the Fire Emblem fandom so easily?

There was the part where I admitted to bullshitting my way through this discussion somewhere.

Yes Julia for the win! We have successfully upheld the honor of our goddess. 

Im not really sure why y'all think Julia is unpopular. Genealogy was very popular in Japan, and it's actually surprisingly popular in the west as well. I've said it before but there's 2 or 3 translations on this site alone. She's also a major character in her game unlike Sanaki, and is able to use the most powerful magic in the game in the chapters u have her for. It's honestly not that surprising to me that so many people still like her. 

Since Linde and Sanaki are effectively out of the running, it looks like I'll be siding with Julia in the next round as planned.

Is there anyone on Team Julia that I haven't yet friended that would like to be friends?

And, who do you want as my rep (currently using Ninian)?

On 5/9/2017 at 11:08 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Zephiel [=] (Eckesachs, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Ward Armor)
+1 Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Lance+, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Ward Armor)
+6 Sheena [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Axe+, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Ward Armor / Goad Armor)
+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Dance, (blank), Triangle Adept 3, Escape Route 3, Fortify Dragons, S HP +3)
+10 Nowi [+Atk, -Res] (Lightning Breath+, Rally Def, New Moon, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, S Attack +1)
+4 Reinhardt [+Atk, -Spd] (Dire Thunder, Reposition, Blazing Thunder, Death Blow 3, Vantage 3, Hone Cavalry)
+4 Olwen [+Atk, -Def] (Dire Thunder, Ardent Sacrifice, Draconic Aura, Life and Death 3, Desperation 3, Hone Cavalry)

2 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Japan actually remembers their older games, and IIRC 4 sold better than both Tellius games combined there.

The west doesn't really know Geneology since it was never released here though. Only a few people out here played it through emulation. Tellius was legitimately playable out here, on the other hand.

Sanaki IS a major character in RD though. PoR, no, but RD, yes.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Since Linde and Sanaki are effectively out of the running, it looks like I'll be siding with Julia in the next round as planned.

Is there anyone on Team Julia that I haven't yet friended that would like to be friends?

No idea about the rep, but feel free to add me, 2511325170.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Welcome aboard :)

Im fine with Ninian, I haven't gotten to use one yet so it'd be cool to try urs with all the work u put in. 

But Reinhardt is a good pick too, so I'm sure others will probably want to use him.