What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

2 hours ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

I love Miriel, but she is a little flat. That's part of the point, though, she is socially inept and her supports should feel weaker because she doesn't connect with anyone.

That's a fair point! I just wish she had a little more going on, you dig? (And, she very well could--I haven't poured over Miriel's supports like I have over other characters'. I just wish I could remember some other diverse character traits about her, or at least come up with some to pretend that she has. Ha ha!) 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

This happens in a lot of Awakening/Fates S rank supports, though. Especially when the pairing makes little sense and the writers are trying to work in a romantic conversation between people who have had purely platonic conversations.

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion: AwakeFates characters should have less characters that they are able to S-Support, and more platonic opposite-sex supports.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, secondaryhenry said:

Here's a potentially unpopular opinion: AwakeFates characters should have less characters that they are able to S-Support, and more platonic opposite-sex supports.

I think that's something mostly everyone agrees on. It'd be more of an unpopular opinion if you said that Awkakening/Fates characters should have more characters that they can S-Support.

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

Pretty much all of her supports are on the level of Canas/Vaida, far and away Canas' worst support chain.

You just had to remind me of that one. Ugh! Umbriel, eat my memories of reading that! If there was such a thing as Anti-Supports in FE, that'd be one for sure, since Vaida only antagonizes Canas the entire time, they never actually bond in the entire thing. It's one of the worst supports ever, at least by FE7 standards:

Spoiler

C Support

Vaida: Hey, you!
Canas: Oh, hello there. I am called Canas.
Vaida: Who asked you, worm-bait! And what are you doing, reading in the heat of battle?
Canas: Ah, yes. This is “The Dragon-Human War: An Annotated Chronicle.” It’s about the war one thousand years ago between humans and…
Vaida: I don’t care what book you’re reading! I want to know why you’re even reading in the first place!
Canas: Oh. I see. Forgive me.
Vaida: I can’t believe we’re fighting on the same side! Who’s running this army? I hope they don’t expect me to fight for both of us! Now get out of my way, unless you want to get stepped on!
Canas: Ahh… Pardon me.

B Support

Vaida: Pfeh. You again? Just my luck to have to share the battleground with a gnat like you…
Canas: Vaida, it has been a while.
Vaida: Are you still wasting your time studying that ridiculous babble? You never give up, do you?
Canas: No, I never do stop studying! Knowledge is its own reward, Vaida! By the way, this is “Dark–
Vaida: I didn’t ask you, troll!
Canas: Ah. Forgive me.
Vaida: Why do I have to be paired with a useless wastrel like you!? It’s infuriating! Give me that!
Canas: Hey! That’s a very rare book! And it’s mine!
Vaida: Umbriel! Tasty, tasty! Eat it up!
Canas: No, please don’t… Ohh… Ohh… Why does he have to devour it as if it were so…appetizing?

A Support

Vaida: Hey, you! I thought I taught you a lesson, and here you are, reading again!!
Canas: Ah, er… Hello, Vaida. I am indeed reading. This is–
Vaida: I didn’t ask!!
Canas: Ah. Well, excuse me. I thought I would bring a book today that you might find interesting… It is about wyvern-mounted combat…
Vaida: Wyverns?
Canas: Yes. Do you know of them? They are rather mysterious creatures. According to this book, they are all white and normally appear in lakes… And it says that they cry “Scraw!” from time to time. Just once, I sure would like to see a real one…
Vaida: Are you…stupid?
Canas: Hm? Was my description inaccurate?
Vaida: You scholars are all bumbling fools! Give me that useless book! Umbriel! Here’s some more light reading!
Canas: Oh dear, not again! And he finds that one… positively irresistible, doesn’t he…

3 hours ago, Florina's #1 Fan said:

And I also think the Arachnea games are just... old and boring. I get the same vibe from them as I do the Kanto Pokemon games. I've played newer games that have the same features, but improved, and it makes the older/original game feel so cripplingly ancient that I just don't want to play it. And that isn't to say I don't like some of the characters, I personally like Jeorge and Linde a lot (mostly because of Heroes, but still), but there are things that I have been spoiled with in newer games, like supports and the weapon triangle, basic things that make me think "I'm playing Fire Emblem." And Arachnea doesn't have those things :/

Yeah, Archanea's lack of character building dialogue is an issue, and so is a lack of world building. And you don't want to add the Weapon Triangle to it, since the games weren't made with it in mind. SD's addition of it just hurt sword users since they didn't change the enemy composition from being lance heavy with axes all but disappearing after the first few fights. And I really wish both games had GBA-Tellius Rescue to make ferrying Marth everywhere easier. Of course, some like little being said about the characters, since it lets them use their imagination more to fill them in. As someone who plays Etrian Odyssey, where your characters are all your creations, I can see their point (though I've never made actual backstories for any of my characters, even if I spend a while picking their names and artwork).

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think that's something mostly everyone agrees on. It'd be more of an unpopular opinion if you said that Awkakening/Fates characters should have more characters that they can S-Support.

How dare you say not every guy needs Say'ri, Anna, Tiki, Flavia, and Emmeryn S Supports! The girls deserve Gangrene, Basil, Walmart, Den'gue and Paris! And Lucina needs her dad's comfort- Vaike's that is! You will not deny me Chrom!Owain, Sumia!Selena, or GregorxFemale Morgan either! IS can roast over hot coals for making such awful decisions!

(Sarcasm, obviously.)

On 10/4/2017 at 8:53 AM, secondaryhenry said:

think Ricken and Nowi are good characters. ...they're just poorly written sometimes a lot maybe.

In fact, they are almost certainly definitely potentially somewhat abysmally written. There is a distinctly definite possibility that the probability of their characterization being deficient is some real number between zero and the result of the division of any number by itself (leaning towards the latter, in my opinion).

(Just you try and decipher that!)

Edited by Sigismund of Luxemburg

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How dare you say not every guy needs Say'ri, Anna, Tiki, Flavia, and Emmeryn S Supports! The girls deserve Gangrene, Basil, Walmart, Den'gue and Paris! And Lucina needs her dad's comfort- Vaike's that is! You will not deny me Chrom!Owain, Sumia!Selena, or GregorxFemale Morgan either! IS can roast over hot coals for making such awful decisions!

Das ist doch alles Wahnsinn! - Dr. Ernst-Günther Schenck, Der Untergang

Das ist Sarkasmus? Naga sei Dank...

Eliwood is one of the best written Lord in the series.

Kinda wish he was as popular as Marth is because seriously Marth is just the blandest Lord ever.

Edited by Skylorella Con

7 minutes ago, Skylorella Con said:

Kinda wish he was as popular as Marth is because seriously Marth is just the blandest Lord ever.

In Marth's defense, he was the original Lord and his remakes didn't really do him any favors.

Marth is still leagues better than Sigurd tho.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

We get it, you hate Genealogy, and Sigurd murdered your kitten. Do you really need to re-state it in basically your every post?

9/10 I find the pegasus Knight is the most boring or unappealing romance option for the lord. The other 1/10 is Marth/Caeda.

I keep coming back to this thread occasionally just to check if the same couple of people are still running around in circles screeching about the same things. I have yet to be disappointed and I’ve been doing this since August. 

19 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

9/10 I find the pegasus Knight is the most boring or unappealing romance option for the lord. The other 1/10 is Marth/Caeda.

I keep coming back to this thread occasionally just to check if the same couple of people are still running around in circles screeching about the same things. I have yet to be disappointed and I’ve been doing this since August. 

I've had the page followed since the start, don't get your hopes up. I can just let you know if anyone comes to the table with something new if you want.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

I've had the page followed since the start, don't get your hopes up. I can just let you know if anyone comes to the table with something new if you want.

Oh don’t get me wrong I think it’s hilarious how dedicated are people are to beating the dead horse. I have a one man betting pool going for how long it will last before certain people who constantly post here get board and leave. It is always interesting to see what new sticks or horse corpses people drag in here from time to time. I must admit I’ll be interested to see if the Ike discourse comes back. That was equal parts entertaining and irritating!

I may have gone a bit overboard with dead horses here oops. 

On 10/9/2017 at 7:14 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

C Support

Vaida: Hey, you!
Canas: Oh, hello there. I am called Canas.
Vaida: Who asked you, worm-bait! And what are you doing, reading in the heat of battle?
Canas: Ah, yes. This is “The Dragon-Human War: An Annotated Chronicle.” It’s about the war one thousand years ago between humans and…
Vaida: I don’t care what book you’re reading! I want to know why you’re even reading in the first place!
Canas: Oh. I see. Forgive me.
Vaida: I can’t believe we’re fighting on the same side! Who’s running this army? I hope they don’t expect me to fight for both of us! Now get out of my way, unless you want to get stepped on!
Canas: Ahh… Pardon me.

B Support

Vaida: Pfeh. You again? Just my luck to have to share the battleground with a gnat like you…
Canas: Vaida, it has been a while.
Vaida: Are you still wasting your time studying that ridiculous babble? You never give up, do you?
Canas: No, I never do stop studying! Knowledge is its own reward, Vaida! By the way, this is “Dark–
Vaida: I didn’t ask you, troll!
Canas: Ah. Forgive me.
Vaida: Why do I have to be paired with a useless wastrel like you!? It’s infuriating! Give me that!
Canas: Hey! That’s a very rare book! And it’s mine!
Vaida: Umbriel! Tasty, tasty! Eat it up!
Canas: No, please don’t… Ohh… Ohh… Why does he have to devour it as if it were so…appetizing?

A Support

Vaida: Hey, you! I thought I taught you a lesson, and here you are, reading again!!
Canas: Ah, er… Hello, Vaida. I am indeed reading. This is–
Vaida: I didn’t ask!!
Canas: Ah. Well, excuse me. I thought I would bring a book today that you might find interesting… It is about wyvern-mounted combat…
Vaida: Wyverns?
Canas: Yes. Do you know of them? They are rather mysterious creatures. According to this book, they are all white and normally appear in lakes… And it says that they cry “Scraw!” from time to time. Just once, I sure would like to see a real one…
Vaida: Are you…stupid?
Canas: Hm? Was my description inaccurate?
Vaida: You scholars are all bumbling fools! Give me that useless book! Umbriel! Here’s some more light reading!
Canas: Oh dear, not again! And he finds that one… positively irresistible, doesn’t he…

Yeah, Archanea's lack of character building dialogue is an issue, and so is a lack of world building. And you don't want to add the Weapon Triangle to it, since the games weren't made with it in mind. SD's addition of it just hurt sword users since they didn't change the enemy composition from being lance heavy with axes all but disappearing after the first few fights. And I really wish both games had GBA-Tellius Rescue to make ferrying Marth everywhere easier. Of course, some like little being said about the characters, since it lets them use their imagination more to fill them in. As someone who plays Etrian Odyssey, where your characters are all your creations, I can see their point (though I've never made actual backstories for any of my characters, even if I spend a while picking their names and artwork).

No its not lol

The entire reason Sword is hurt in DSFE is because of their lack of Ridersbane comparative. They actually barely care about WTA bonus because their hit is high enough to not need hit, and everyone else hit is high enough they won't dodge.

SD WTA actually hurts Lance and Axe the most, because Lance need to roll the dice for Axe Chip early in the game, and Axe need to contend with Accuracy Stack x2 against Sword. On the whole Sword got hurt the least of the three weapon. Like in an overall ranking of least hurt to most hurt its

Sword > Axe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lance

Also wrt Archanea world building, FE3 gameplay story integration is actually fantastic, arguably the best in the entire series

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

6 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

We get it, you hate Genealogy, and Sigurd murdered your kitten. Do you really need to re-state it in basically your every post?

Leave him be. He's not worth quarreling with interms of FE4.

Though I don't get how Marth is bland considering that he has flaws unlike a certain lord

As for my opinion, there will never be another king of thieves that can be on par with Pahn!

Edited by Harvey

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Leave him be. He's not worth quarreling with interms of FE4.

Fucking rude, actually. If you're gonna say that, then i can say the same thing about you and FE6.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Fucking rude, actually. If you're gonna say that, then i can say the same thing about you and FE6.

Well firstly, I never said that I hated FE6. Infact I said that its a good game of its own. The thing that drops me out of it is its lack of balance and just a boring cast in general. Had it fixed that, it could have been on par with FE7 interms of gameplay atleast.

Secondly, you are on the same level as me for bashing a game that you don't like that others do. I love the hell out of FE4 and even though FE5 is better than it, I still value it as such.

I know I bash at FE6 a lot and by now, some are used to it but I don't keep doing it all the time and honestly, I've given up doing it though I just find it odd how many have noticed that the challenge level of FE6 is lower than that of FE5 since the level of difficulty is the same if you ask me.

And lastly, I said that its not worth quarreling with you in a topic like this which is about opinions so I was defending your statement actually. But whatever...

6 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I said that its not worth quarreling with you in a topic like this which is about opinions so I was defending your statement actually.

Apologies. You should've worded it better though.

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

In Marth's defense, he was the original Lord and his remakes didn't really do him any favors.

Um....is this a joke? XD

I haven't even finished Geneolgy yet and even I know Sigurd >>>>>>>>>>>> Marth. :3

Well..anyways...

I am beginning to realize that FE games will never have a chance to reach more than 1 million even if it wants to. Though I guess that doesn't mean much seeing how Heroes a complete spin-off manages to make more profit than any other FE game that wishes to achieve such fate.

1 hour ago, Skylorella Con said:

Um....is this a joke? XD

I haven't even finished Geneolgy yet and even I know Sigurd >>>>>>>>>>>> Marth. :3

I'm not joking. I'll give props to Sigurd for being the most flawed Lord in the series. Now if only he had an actual personality. If they make an FE4 remake, i hope they give Sigurd his personality from the Mitsuki Oosawa manga adaptation of FE4. In the manga, Sigurd is basically Hector, which is good, because it means he has personality.

Marth, on the other hand, has always had a personality. Even in FE1 he had personality, because there was actual dialogue unlike FE2. FE3 fleshed him out and FE11 tried but failed a bit. FE12 probably helped Marth the most.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

I am beginning to realize that FE games will never have a chance to reach more than 1 million even if it wants to.

Isn't this more of an estimate based on past trends as opposed to being an actual opinion?

More often than not, I actually go with Deen than Sonya in Echoes. By no means will I ever deny her usability for being a mage in a game where Res in general is rather low, but out of all the [start off] mercs in the game, the only one that I ever found use for was Saber, with the only exception being Deen. That he starts off promoted only adds to his favor, since Sonya has to do a little catch up with Mae for her to truly shine, while Deen didn't in my experience.

Ephraim and Eirika are just...eh. They're not interesting in the slightest. Ephraim just cones across as a cocky cliche "I want to be a warrior" Prince, whilst Eirika is just...there.

Sacred Stones is a chore to play through. The way the narration is worded is god awful, it's always "Eirika didn't know what to do." Or "They travelled". It's too basic, and it feels like a children's book. The story didn't pick up until the whole Joshua arc on Eirika's side, and that was what? 14 chapters in? That's not good. I'm on chapter 17 of Eirika's route and have yet to play Ephraim's path, and I've just lost the motivation to go on, and that's the first time a FE game has done that. I want to like Sacred Stones. I want to like Ephraim and Eirika, but I'm just not feeling it.

I haven't played Genealogy yet, but I've just watched the first two episodes of Mangs' playthrough and it just seems like a chore. It takes him near enough an hour to do the first chapter, and that's just not what I want in a FE game. Will I buy a remake of it? Of course. But I'll never play a ROM of it. The art style is ugly, and SD's is miles better, though I have to consider the large gap in time between them...

...I really liked Validar.

3 hours ago, Skylorella Con said:

Um....is this a joke? XD

Don't bother. @Armagon isn't gonna change his attitude any time soon. He's got a raging hate boner for everything Jugdral(Particularly FE4), and he wants to show it to everyone he can.

He's actually worse than @Harveyand FE6 at the moment.

Edited by Slumber

On 10/8/2017 at 10:34 PM, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

In fact, they are almost certainly definitely potentially somewhat abysmally written. There is a distinctly definite possibility that the probability of their characterization being deficient is some real number between zero and the result of the division of any number by itself (leaning towards the latter, in my opinion).

(Just you try and decipher that!)

Thanks for the input, Miriel.

You know what the good news is, though? I don't work for IntSys, so I'm allowed to write and portray every Fire Emblem character however I want. My power is infinite! Ahahahaha!!

28 minutes ago, Lau said:

...I really liked Validar.

Right? He looks cool. He's just fun, too, even if his character motivations are A) be powerful and B) Grima is cool.