New trailer: Warriors' Awakening

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Seriously. And don't even try to say that swords are common for lords. Ephraim, much as I loathe him, uses lances, something that I believe no other Fire Emblem lord ever uses, and Hector uses axes. You could easily have made Rowan use axes and Lianna use lances.

Sigurd says hi.

Anyway, the trailer looks interesting enough, cheesy dialogue aside.  I'd love to see all the dialogue in their proper context, though!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Sigurd also use swords though? Ephraim and Sharena are the only lance-only lords.

Even if ONE of the OCs had to have swords, the others could've had lances and axes just like in Heroes. Alfonse uses a sword, but Sharena and Anna have lances and axes respectively.

Why do so many people call the dialogue cheesy? I think it's fine. Maybe I just have bad taste. >.>

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Sigurd says hi.

Anyway, the trailer looks interesting enough, cheesy dialogue aside.  I'd love to see all the dialogue in their proper context, though!

Sigurd used swords as well. In fact, his signature weapons are the Silver Sword and Tyrfing.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Didn't Sigurd also use swords though? Ephraim and Sharena are the only lance-only lords.

Even if ONE of the OCs had to have swords, the others could've had lances and axes just like in Heroes. Alfonse uses a sword, but Sharena and Anna have lances and axes respectively.

What about that? Sigurd using swords just proves my point that only Ephraim and Hector are non-sword wielders. 

Sharena isn't really a huge lord, given that its an app game. And Anna isn't a lord but... well, Anna. 

Sigurd used swords as well. In fact, his signature weapons are the Silver Sword and Tyrfing.

What about that? Sigurd using swords just proves my point that only Ephraim and Hector are non-sword wielders. 

Sharena isn't really a huge lord, given that its an app game. And Anna isn't a lord but... well, Anna. 

That's why I pointed out that Sigurd could use swords. Lances aren't his only weapon like with Ephraim.

Sharena is still a lord in an FE game. She counts to me. Lianna and Rowan will count too. The latter even have Lord as their classes, I believe.

Anna's not a lord, no, but she's still a usable character and one that has a significant role.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why do so many people call the dialogue cheesy? I think it's fine. Maybe I just have bad taste. >.>

Sigurd starts with both lances and swords - the former is part of the reason why he's so ridiculous in his own game.  If I wanted to be technical, Eliwood gains them on promotion.  This goes against the original statement of Ephraim/Sharena being the only lance-lords.  And if I REALLY wanted to be technical, Micaiah is a non-sword-wielding lord.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sharena is still a lord in an FE game. She counts to me. Lianna and Rowan will count too. The latter even have Lord as their classes, I believe.

Anna's not a lord, no, but she's still a usable character and one that has a significant role.

Oh, but do you count Itsuki Aoi from TMS? His class is Lord, you know. Even has the blue hair to prove it.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Sigurd starts with both lances and swords - the former is part of the reason why he's so ridiculous in his own game.  If I wanted to be technical, Eliwood gains them on promotion.  This goes against the original statement of Ephraim/Sharena being the only lance-lords.  And if I REALLY wanted to be technical, Micaiah is a non-sword-wielding lord.

Except we were saying that Ephraim and Sharena are the only lance lords who never have swords. Not that they're the only lance lords period.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Except we were saying that Ephraim and Sharena are the only lance lords who never have swords. Not that they're the only lance lords period.

Reread what I originally quoted.

Just now, eclipse said:

Reread what I originally quoted.

Uh, why?

2 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Oh, but do you count Itsuki Aoi from TMS? His class is Lord, you know. Even has the blue hair to prove it.

I suppose he would count then, yes.

7 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

But we still have the situation where one part of the fanbase is ignored with no olive branch being shown their way. That leads to negativity that could have been avoided. The complaint it just that they spoil their fans but that they spoil one particular part of the fans while snubbing another. 

Would a fan of Awakening and Fates truly not buy the game if only one of those games got in? Perhaps but a fan who has absolutely none of his favored games get in has much more reasons to do so. 

But you have to consider that a fair amount of people who enjoyed the older games, probably like the newer ones too. The new games simply reach the most fans and going out of their way to appease a relatively small (and sometimes extremely...vocal) section of the fanbase doesn't make as much sense.

Whether fans would buy if one was omitted is irrelevant, they both have earned a spot. Besides, how do you pick between those two? You'd probably end up making more people mad than by leaving Hector out.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

It's also rather hypocritical when you make your OCs wield swords too. Why did the twins and their friend ALL have to use swords as well? That's just helping to create the problem you're trying to avoid!

The OCs probably wield swords because the sword is the traditionally heroic weapon, especially in Japan.  It's pretty much the same reason most FE Lords wield swords, and probably the reason why swords are red in FEH (red is the primary 'heroic' color for Japan).

It might also be an intentional design similarity to Marth, who originally used the Fire Emblem as a shield alongside of the Falchion.  Given that in this game Marth appears to use a fencing style with no shield, they may have wanted the protagonists to use sword and board as a nod back to that.

It does appear hypocritical to give too many swords as the reason and then have sword using OCs.  However, we don't actually know the order of events here.  They may have had the OC concepts already solidified by the time they decided to limit the roster to three games.  I doubt we'll ever actually know the full development timetable for the game though, so it's never going to be more than a guess.

I think Darius really should have had something other than a sword though.

2 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

The OCs probably wield swords because the sword is the traditionally heroic weapon, especially in Japan.  It's pretty much the same reason most FE Lords wield swords, and probably the reason why swords are red in FEH (red is the primary 'heroic' color for Japan).

It might also be an intentional design similarity to Marth, who originally used the Fire Emblem as a shield alongside of the Falchion.  Given that in this game Marth appears to use a fencing style with no shield, they may have wanted the protagonists to use sword and board as a nod back to that.

It does appear hypocritical to give too many swords as the reason and then have sword using OCs.  However, we don't actually know the order of events here.  They may have had the OC concepts already solidified by the time they decided to limit the roster to three games.  I doubt we'll ever actually know the full development timetable for the game though, so it's never going to be more than a guess.

I think Darius really should have had something other than a sword though.

Huh, I wonder why blue is the most common lord color then...

But I see, I guess. I do agree that Darius at least should've gotten a different weapon though.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Huh, I wonder why blue is the most common lord color then...

But I see, I guess. I do agree that Darius at least should've gotten a different weapon though.

Probably because red enemies make more sense for a video game ('danger here'), and they needed something in the NES palette that contrasted that for allied units.  After that, it probably stuck because of the FE association of 'blue = ally, red = dead' established by the first few games.

4 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Probably because red enemies make more sense for a video game ('danger here'), and they needed something in the NES palette that contrasted that for allied units.  After that, it probably stuck because of the FE association of 'blue = ally, red = dead' established by the first few games.

Advance Wars uses red as it's main faction (you can only play as red in the main campaign of the first game, and War Room enemies always use blue unless you're playing as the blue faction), so...

Anyway, what are the odds of seeing Valentians?

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

What do you mean?

Archanea: I've only seen the NES version of the first game and have very foggy memories of the third game's remake, in the form of a playthrough I don't particularly want to revise.
Awakening: I've seen the plot, but in no particular order.
Fates: Heroes is basically the limit of my understanding.

--

Valentia: Played.
Jugdral: Very familiar, if slightly less so with Thracia.
Elibe: Played 7, know 6 pretty well.
Magvel: Played.
Tellius: My first games, know them really well, despite not playing them (damn high prices).

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Archanea: I've only seen the NES version of the first game and have very foggy memories of the third game's remake, in the form of a playthrough I don't particularly want to revise.
Awakening: I've seen the plot, but in no particular order.
Fates: Heroes is basically the limit of my understanding.

--

Valentia: Played.
Jugdral: Very familiar, if slightly less so with Thracia.
Elibe: Played 7, know 6 pretty well.
Magvel: Played.
Tellius: My first games, know them really well, despite not playing them (damn high prices).

I guess this comes with the territory of a large franchise.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

But that's just it. The concept of the "so many swords" thing becomes moot when you make Birthright and Conquest routes where Ryoma and Xander lead despite how they own swords as well. Roy having the Binding Blade makes him the PERFECT addition to Warriors since technically speaking, evil dragon is trying to destroy the world, and the Binding Blade is a weapon DESIGNED to destroy dragons, like Falchion is. 

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

It's also rather hypocritical when you make your OCs wield swords too. Why did the twins and their friend ALL have to use swords as well? That's just helping to create the problem you're trying to avoid!

They never said that they were going to go out of their way to put in as few swords as possible. Just that it wouldn't take over the vast majority of the roster. 

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I guess this comes with the territory of a large franchise.

It's just kind of half-funny, half-really-annoying that they focus on the games I don't know and have no real means of trying to correct that.