New trailer: Warriors' Awakening

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

It's just kind of half-funny, half-really-annoying that they focus on the games I don't know and have no real means of trying to correct that.

So you don't want to play Awakening or Fates?

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

So you don't want to play Awakening or Fates?

Half not really (I am open to trying an all pegasus run of the former), and half "I don't have the money to spend on a game I don't have good hopes for". $60 is just too much of an investment.

And despite their popularity, it's annoyingly difficult to find scripts/playthroughs. Serenes still doesn't have Fates' script.

7 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Half not really (I am open to trying an all pegasus run of the former), and half "I don't have the money to spend on a game I don't have good hopes for". $60 is just too much of an investment.

And despite their popularity, it's annoyingly difficult to find scripts/playthroughs. Serenes still doesn't have Fates' script.

Fates does have an insanely large script, I guess.

If you haven't already played these two games and don't think you'd enjoy them too much, I'd recommend just getting Fates since it's more polished in almost every way except in its story. The gameplay is excellent in Conquest, but Birthright isn't as well designed, to the point that it's annoyingly hard to deal with the enemy density (i.e. it's challenging but for the wrong reasons). Revelations is a true waste of money.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Serenes still doesn't have Fates' script.

The FE Wiki does, albeit this page isn't the most well categorized: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fire_Emblem_Fates_Scripts  I'd also recommend reading the support scripts, especially the ones for Oboro, Takumi, Leo, Xander, Saizo, Beruka, Charlotte, Mozu, and several others I can't think of right now.

Alternatively, you can navigate from this page all the way to the end chapter scripts: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Ties_That_Bind  Yes, I know this isn't a script page, but there's a link on the page to the script, and it's the best place to go from chapter to chapter with ease; plus, you can see the layout of each of the chapters and see if the map designs/objectives appeal to you.

But I'd honestly recommend watching LPs more.  Reading the scripts of these games is like reading the scripts of plays; yeah, you could understand what's going on well enough, but it's better to see it unfold before your eyes, even if the presentation is minimalist.  And it'll also probably make the stories worse for you if you just read them.  Granted, even as someone who genuinely enjoyed Fates and went the full nine yards buying all the paths, I still think the stories were garbage... but some actually liked the stories, and you might as well.  I dunno.

Then again, I also don't know what about these games doesn't appeal to you, so I don't even know if it'd be worth your time to investigate them.

Also, for your pegasus run idea, it'd be funner in Fates because stuff like pair-up isn't totally broken and males can be pegasus knights as well.  Though you'd either have to acquire BR/Revelation to get easier access to more of them, do some extensive Einherjar grinding, or go to peoples' castles in order to get enough for such a run...  Also, I would strongly recommend against doing any special runs of CQ until you've beaten it once without grinding DLC 'cuz it's hard as balls.  I mean, people compare it to Thracia.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

The FE Wiki does, albeit this page isn't the most well categorized: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fire_Emblem_Fates_Scripts  I'd also recommend reading the support scripts, especially the ones for Oboro, Takumi, Leo, Xander, Saizo, Beruka, Charlotte, Mozu, and several others I can't think of right now.

Alternatively, you can navigate from this page all the way to the end chapter scripts: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Ties_That_Bind  Yes, I know this isn't a script page, but there's a link on the page to the script, and it's the best place to go from chapter to chapter with ease; plus, you can see the layout of each of the chapters and see if the map designs/objectives appeal to you.

But I'd honestly recommend watching LPs more.  Reading the scripts of these games is like reading the scripts of plays; yeah, you could understand what's going on well enough, but it's better to see it unfold before your eyes, even if the presentation is minimalist.  And it'll also probably make the stories worse for you if you just read them.  Granted, even as someone who genuinely enjoyed Fates and went the full nine yards buying all the paths, I still think the stories were garbage... but some actually liked the stories, and you might as well.  I dunno.

Then again, I also don't know what about these games doesn't appeal to you, so I don't even know if it'd be worth your time to investigate them.

Also, for your pegasus run idea, it'd be funner in Fates because stuff like pair-up isn't totally broken and males can be pegasus knights as well.  Though you'd either have to acquire BR/Revelation to get easier access to more of them, do some extensive Einherjar grinding, or go to peoples' castles in order to get enough for such a run...  Also, I would strongly recommend against doing any special runs of CQ until you've beaten it once without grinding DLC 'cuz it's hard as balls.  I mean, people compare it to Thracia.

Honestly, I found text-based LPs for all the other Fire Emblems, including Awakening. The fact the one I found for Awakening is ordered so poorly is why it didn't stick. I'd like to find one of these for Fates one day, if they're still making them.

I have a greater preference for females, and what sticks out to me about Awakening is how interesting the route to getting (and optimising) a full party of pegasi will use a lot of planning. Fates... it just feels a bit too trivial to be exciting.

7 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Seriously. And don't even try to say that swords are common for lords. Ephraim, much as I loathe him, uses lances, something that I believe no other Fire Emblem lord ever uses, and Hector uses axes. You could easily have made Rowan use axes and Lianna use lances.

You pretty much confirmed that swords are a common weapon for lords though. Lords like Hector and Ephraim (and maybe Micaiah if you count her) tend to be more the exception to the rule and any game that features a non-sword lord has always featured a sword lord as well.

7 hours ago, Folt said:

You pretty much confirmed that swords are a common weapon for lords though. Lords like Hector and Ephraim (and maybe Micaiah if you count her) tend to be more the exception to the rule and any game that features a non-sword lord has always featured a sword lord as well.

My wording is off, but the case on how the two new Lords of this game use swords, and the excuse being "almost all Lords use swords", it doesn't work because they could be unique in that we have characters like Ephraim and Hector that use lances and axes respectively. It's not impossible to have them be similar users as well.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

My wording is off, but the case on how the two new Lords of this game use swords, and the excuse being "almost all Lords use swords", it doesn't work because they could be unique in that we have characters like Ephraim and Hector that use lances and axes respectively. It's not impossible to have them be similar users as well.

I think it's because the Sword weapon is so common amongst the Lord classes, and the fact that both of them are the game's actual Lord characters (as in the actual protagonists), that is the reason for why both of them have Swords. It's also because they were inspired by My Unit/Avatar characters (and because they initially were going to have a My Unit/Avatar character but chose to scrap the idea because cutcenes and opted instead to make the protagonist from scratch... which eventually led to making the protagonist into male and female twin protagonists in order to appeal to both male and female players). It's kind of similiar to Dragon Quest Heroes's male and female sibling pair who fights similiarly to one another and use very much the same weapons, but still have key differences between them.

38 minutes ago, Folt said:

I think it's because the Sword weapon is so common amongst the Lord classes, and the fact that both of them are the game's actual Lord characters (as in the actual protagonists), that is the reason for why both of them have Swords. It's also because they were inspired by My Unit/Avatar characters (and because they initially were going to have a My Unit/Avatar character but chose to scrap the idea because cutcenes and opted instead to make the protagonist from scratch... which eventually led to making the protagonist into male and female twin protagonists in order to appeal to both male and female players). It's kind of similiar to Dragon Quest Heroes's male and female sibling pair who fights similiarly to one another and use very much the same weapons, but still have key differences between them.

Adding to this, swords tend to be the most balanced or all-around of the weapons. If the twins are the characters you start with, it would make sense for the first characters used to be more basic in their fighting style, something that isn't exactly done well with axes or lances (particularly the former).

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-devs-on-how-the-game-came-to-be-choosing-characters-games-original-characters-more/

This confirms that the choices were pretty strong armed by Nintendo

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Okay, I'm beginning to be FAR more forgiving of them this time. If we have a sequel, we could get EVERY title possible in. I would LOVE to see that. Hell, they might even be able to create even MORE Bond Conversations.

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I can't read the article (my laptop is garbage); hate to be that guy, but mind giving the quote that would point to that direction?

1 minute ago, DIO said:

I can't read the article (my laptop is garbage); hate to be that guy, but mind giving the quote that would point to that direction?

"ND: How hectic indeed. Users will also see that as the biggest point after all. I think Hyrule Warriors was that good; so many people already have good faith that ‘the game will be interesting’. That’s why everyone is putting their focus on ‘which characters will come out’.

Hayashi: We’re thankful for that, but it can also put on quite a lot of pressure.

-Everybody laughs-

Hayashi: We had a really hectic time in choosing them. At first our company considered from the weapons first and sent the proposal, but Intelligent Systems pointed us to the results of popularity polls, and Nintendo also told us ‘please add this character’, so we adjusted it little by little."

Edited by Jedi

Just now, Jedi said:

"ND: How hectic indeed. Users will also see that as the biggest point after all. I think Hyrule Warriors was that good; so many people already have good faith that ‘the game will be interesting’. That’s why everyone is putting their focus on ‘which characters will come out’.

Hayashi: We’re thankful for that, but it can also put on quite a lot of pressure.

-Everybody laughs-

Hayashi: We had a really hectic time in choosing them. At first our company considered from the weapons first and sent the proposal, but Intelligent Systems pointed us to the results of popularity polls, and Nintendo also told us ‘please add this character’, so we adjusted it little by little."

Thanks, that's pretty damning, all things considered. That said, I'm reserving judgement till the game gets near release (at least so we know what's likely to be the finalized roster) to call it as a good or bad move. I'm...ambiguous to the notion that they're already confident the game will be good; that sounds like the fandom setting itself up for disappointment, even more-so that they're already enduring.

So far I do like the choices they've made as far as characters go though, so lets see what they add from Archenea or the Fates trio of games (I am fully subscribed to the notion that each branch of Fates will count as a separate set of reps, with shared characters or possibly even the Awakening Trio being brought on to rep Valla/Revelations) to see if Nintendo/IS mandates make or break things...

2 minutes ago, DIO said:

Thanks, that's pretty damning, all things considered. That said, I'm reserving judgement till the game gets near release (at least so we know what's likely to be the finalized roster) to call it as a good or bad move. I'm...ambiguous to the notion that they're already confident the game will be good; that sounds like the fandom setting itself up for disappointment, even more-so that they're already enduring.

So far I do like the choices they've made as far as characters go though, so lets see what they add from Archenea or the Fates trio of games (I am fully subscribed to the notion that each branch of Fates will count as a separate set of reps, with shared characters or possibly even the Awakening Trio being brought on to rep Valla/Revelations) to see if Nintendo/IS mandates make or break things...

Well they did specifically call Fates 1 game, so I don't think it'll be branches per say. 

There was also a bit about the staff arguing about what games to include and potential sequel stuff getting more games, so I'm gonna make a thread on that in a few.

It was nice to actually see how even the developers had their rage moments and even threatened to leave the team if "this or that" didn't happen or get in. They were being honest when they said they'd act like the fans. Cause that's exactly how we act.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

It was nice to actually see how even the developers had their rage moments and even threatened to leave the team if "this or that" didn't happen or get in. They were being honest when they said they'd act like the fans. Cause that's exactly how we act.

Oh yeah, I meant to mention this in the interview thread. I was surprised to hear that some of the staff acted like that. But yeah, that is how some fans act too. :/

24 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, I meant to mention this in the interview thread. I was surprised to hear that some of the staff acted like that. But yeah, that is how some fans act too. :/

It just goes to show that developers ALSO wanted characters like Ike or Roy, etc. in the games. Not even the developers are completely satisfied that only 3 titles was able to fit in, but they are hoping that they can make a sequel so they can throw in even more titles. 

And good to know that they ARE going to try and give their all on the conversations they can made.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

It just goes to show that developers ALSO wanted characters like Ike or Roy, etc. in the games. Not even the developers are completely satisfied that only 3 titles was able to fit in, but they are hoping that they can make a sequel so they can throw in even more titles. 

And good to know that they ARE going to try and give their all on the conversations they can made.

Yeah, this does make me happy that they eventually would love to include Ike and others. :) And that they aren't just ignoring everything that isn't Archanea, Fates, and Awakening.

And yeah, good to know that they're trying their best with those conversations too!

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this does make me happy that they eventually would love to include Ike and others. :) And that they aren't just ignoring everything that isn't Archanea, Fates, and Awakening.

And yeah, good to know that they're trying their best with those conversations too!

Exactly. So you aren't wrong that fans want Ike in the series, as clearly there are bound to be developers that wanted Ike, and were upset to know that he can't be in it. 

I wanna see a Bond Support where Robin and Soren talk to one another and discuss strategies or even with Robin somewhat befriending Soren, getting past Soren's... rough edges. XD

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Exactly. So you aren't wrong that fans want Ike in the series, as clearly there are bound to be developers that wanted Ike, and were upset to know that he can't be in it. 

I wanna see a Bond Support where Robin and Soren talk to one another and discuss strategies or even with Robin somewhat befriending Soren, getting past Soren's... rough edges. XD

I would like to see Chrom and Ike talk. I think they might get along nicely.

Robin and Soren talking sounds interesting! They'd talk about all kinds of tactics and Robin will wonder why Soren sounds like he shuts himself out from the world. :P

Ike would probably ask Chrom where he got Aether and stuff. Chrom could mention to Ike that he met his descendant and I'd love to see how Ike would react to that. lol

Edited by Anacybele