Voting Gauntlet: Choose Your Legends!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Choose Your Legends!  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I am seriously curious as to how Lyn won, and not just because of salt. I really want to know, but I can't figure it out. And really the other fans make it much worse as well. Like when people assume my argument is solely based on preference instead of trying to follow a logical course of thought. That, and given how IS is about polls, one loss it really all it may take to change things. No poll is insignificant to them. And I hate an unexplained loss. I can explain away Ike and Roy, but not Lyn. Lyn is a mystery and I want to know.

I think you're underestimating the number of players that [did play Blazing Sword] or [didn't play Blazing Sword but voted for Lyn because she's in SSB].

And the fact that Lyn has bigger boobs than Lucina, isn't a Marth clone that doesn't have a flaming sword, and doesn't wear pants (trousers for those of you outside of North America).

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be joining Team Ike and will have my Distant Counter Titania as lead, at least at first.

I like several of the characters here, but my overall enthusiasm for gauntlets is still pretty slashed after the multiplier mucking everything up last time.  If it causes another upset, I'm going to be very annoyed.  If my team loses fair and square, I'll be fine with that.

9 minutes ago, Tactician_Iris said:

Fwiw, as far as CYL is concerned with popularity and future plans, from Nintendo/IS's perspective CYL probably is a reliable measure. On their end that is.
What I mean with "reliable measure on their end" is that one of the most cited reasons for CYL being "unreliable" to us (the public) is that we can't discern how many characters got duplicate votes vs. how many unique voters voted for a single character.

However, that's what we get to see on our end as the public. I imagine that on Nintendo's end it looks quite different since they have the raw data to cross-reference exactly who voted more than once for each character.

Not only that, they also have data to analyze the demographics of voters as well - at least as far as those who linked their MyNintendo account/NNID are concerned.

Things they could see (and the minute you linked your account to the poll you agreed to sharing that data) were things like the personal information kept in your MyNintendo account - your purchase history, age, location etc. If you linked your NNID they can also follow up on your game activity in FEH, and see which consoles you own, what games you play on them, if they're physical copies vs e-shop downloads, if you have bought DLC, etc.

That's one hell of a marketing tool to use - and they'd honestly be utter fools not to use it.
Provided they can discern the unique vs duplicate votes that is. And I honestly don't see any technical reason as to why they couldn't.

True, and I guess marketing in the future may give us clues as to how it really went. I imagine Awakening and Fates got less repeats due to the distribution of their characters in the high rankings. In the end, the results were close enough that things could change adding in "Marth's" votes. I honestly don't think their characters are all that different so it would make sense that they are close.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I think you're underestimating the number of players that [did play Blazing Sword] or [didn't play Blazing Sword but voted for Lyn because she's in SSB].

And the fact that Lyn has bigger boobs than Lucina, isn't a Marth clone that doesn't have a flaming sword, and doesn't wear pants (trousers for those of you outside of North America).

I honestly think the high split dress may have contributed to more votes, but the Smash community does hate its clones. Though the Smash votes would have to be quite high to offset the difference between 7 and 13. In reality, I think it was a victory of a 1000 cuts that let her edge ahead. 

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Good to be me then, who likes both Lyn and Lucina.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'll be joining Team Ike and will have my Distant Counter Titania as lead, at least at first.

With Lyns and Brave Lyns everywhere? Risky business.

Oh, right, my lead character.

If you see me on Team Lucina, you're getting a +Atk Leon with Brave Bow+ and Death Blow, who is just a wee bit behind Bride!Cordelia on attack power (and only if she's +Atk).  If two shots of 50 damage to the face isn't enough to seriously make your opponent reconsider their life decisions, I'm not sure how else to help you. :P:

10 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Ouch. I mean, this was before I would've voted for her, but still... then again, this is the same poll that rates Boey higher than Mae and Silque higher than Genny.

At least she isn't Leon, who has the indignity of being the character in Heroes with the lowest CYL rank (#728). He's also the only character in Heroes who ranked below 700th in CYL, the poor sap.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, it's as they say. Second place is just the first loser.

Boy there really is something about 2nd place that brings out this kind of reaction isn't there? We all need to take a page out of the books of all those extremely happy 3rd place Olympic medalists. They always make me feel better about life. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Dude, Awakening and Lucina are still super popular. They don't get THAT much flack. Besides, be glad your favorite game actually did well and stuff. I'm a Tellius fan and I have to deal with the flack it gets for selling poorly despite that its sales do not at all reflect the overall reception it got.

Where you interact with the fan base dictates a lot of which game(s) get the most flack. Here on Serenes it is hands down Awakening and Fates that get snubbed the hardest. I generally try not to pay attention to unnecessary/unwarranted negativity towards the games I enjoy, but from my own personal experience I can say it was definitely disheartening reading all of the hate and accusations thrown at Chrom briefly during the first gauntlet. 

Also @Rezzy hooray I get to use your awesome Titania! :D Let me know if someone other than Soren would be bennificial!

1 minute ago, DarkLordIvy said:

Boy there really is something about 2nd place that brings out this kind of reaction isn't there? We all need to take a page out of the books of all those extremely happy 3rd place Olympic medalists. They always make me feel better about life. 

Hector is just happy to be here. Actually...he probably doesn't care.

Edited by Arthur97

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

I honestly think the high split dress may have contributed to more votes, but the Smash community does hate its clones. Though the Smash votes would have to be quite high to offset the difference between 7 and 13. In reality, I think it was a victory of a 1000 cuts that let her edge ahead. 

I wouldn't say "Smash votes" because that implies that the voter is there mostly because of SSB.

The fact of the matter is that in the West, a large portion of the Fire Emblem community had its first exposure to Fire Emblem through SSB and therefore character recognition plays a large part in character popularity. Any player coming into Fire Emblem from SSB through Awakening would still recognize Lyn both through SSB and through Awakening's DLC.

Furthermore, sales for Blazing Sword are probably not the most accurate due to how rampant GBA emulation was back in the day and still is.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

I wouldn't say "Smash votes" because that implies that the voter is there mostly because of SSB.

The fact of the matter is that in the West, a large portion of the Fire Emblem community had its first exposure to Fire Emblem through SSB and therefore character recognition plays a large part in character popularity. Any player coming into Fire Emblem from SSB through Awakening would still recognize Lyn both through SSB and through Awakening's DLC.

Furthermore, sales for Blazing Sword are probably not the most accurate due to how rampant GBA emulation was back in the day and still is.

I still doubt it held a torch to Awakening and Fates, but I'll give you that. Honestly this is the most reasonable explanation. I don't like it, but there it is. Though I will say I think Lyn did have several smaller things that ended up pushing her ahead if just by a bit.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

If you see me on Team Lucina, you're getting a +Atk Leon with Brave Bow+ and Death Blow, who is just a wee bit behind Bride!Cordelia on attack power (and only if she's +Atk).  If two shots of 50 damage to the face isn't enough to seriously make your opponent reconsider their life decisions, I'm not sure how else to help you. :P:

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

At least she isn't Leon, who has the indignity of being the character in Heroes with the lowest CYL rank (#728). He's also the only character in Heroes who ranked below 700th in CYL, the poor sap.

...Don't mind me, just finding it amusing these two quotes from different conversations landed next to each other.

6 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

Where you interact with the fan base dictates a lot of which game(s) get the most flack. Here on Serenes it is hands down Awakening and Fates that get snubbed the hardest. I generally try not to pay attention to unnecessary/unwarranted negativity towards the games I enjoy, but from my own personal experience I can say it was definitely disheartening reading all of the hate and accusations thrown at Chrom briefly during the first gauntlet. 

Also @Rezzy hooray I get to use your awesome Titania! :D Let me know if someone other than Soren would be bennificial!

Since I'll be fielding Ike, Soren will be great for Blue coverage.

Just now, Tactician_Iris said:

Or someone who would be 100% ok with anyone of the eight contestants winning since they like all of them something I'd be guilty as charged on.

To be honest, I like all but two of them (even with the distastes I've developed for Ike and Lyn, I don't hate them). But if it's not Chrom or Lucina, I want it to be Hector.

13 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I never said that I actually live by the phrase, just for the record. It is technically true though, when you think about it.

7 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

...Don't mind me, just finding it amusing these two quotes from different conversations landed next to each other.

I swear that I didn't do that on purpose. Though yeah, that juxtaposition is pretty damn hilarious. 

Anyways, I'm more than happy to make room for any fellow Team Ike peeps who I don't already have on my list (ID is 0085075948, in-game name is also Tybrosion and Chrom is currently my lead). My lead will likely be my TA Soren because it both fits thematically and shuts down the legion of Reinhardts that more than likely will await us.

Well, easy Lucina into whatever gives the most multipliers for me (Hopefully Roy after Lucina, if she loses her first round, likely against Lyn, since I have a Lvl 1 Roy lying around, which would result in easy auto-wins for points). Maybe I'll finally get a Hector, ahahahahahah.

To be fair, this might be the first "interesting" gauntlet, though it is obvious boobs will win it again.

2 minutes ago, Motendra said:

@Jedi Aye, The heck you doing on #TeamIke ? I thought you were SF's #1 R O Y B O Y ??????????? I'msoconfusedwhathastheworldcometo????

don't mind me and my overreacting :P:

Roy is around my 4th favorite lord, Eliwood is my favorite and Ike is 2nd, Ike gets priority :P

Assuming Great personality + boobs >>> Boobs >>> Great personality. Lyn should win and Lucina should end last.

Fortunately that's not how it will work this time (hopefully) so Lucina will end second simply because she loose personality wise to Lyn by hair (again).

25 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

Yes, but outside of SF, those two games get lots of love. I also bet that SF hating on those two is why their fans might be avoiding this place.

I have an Ike to field for Team Ike too, of course, fellow Team Ike members! My lead is staying Summer Freddy though, especially since I bet colorless allies are hard to come by in these things.

LET'S GO TEAM IKE!

Ike: Hey, word of advice... I'm not Frederick, and I'm less tolerant of a lot of attention than he is. Keep the cheering to a minimum, yeah?

Me: Oh yeah, I forgot you hate so much attention. Sure thing! I can't blame you there either, Ike. I actually rather hate it too. It's...overwhelming and awkward.

Ike: Really?

Me: Totally. I can't stand it. A lot of cheering can get too loud too. Something I never actually told Freddy: I have sensitive hearing.

Ike: Huh. I see. Glad to know you won't go overboard here then. Thanks.

Me: Of course! :)