Favourite Special Skill Quote (Poll 94 - Brave Celica, Brave Ephraim, Brave Veronica)

mcsilas

Favourite Special Quote?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Brave Celica Quote?

• Place your trust in me!
    • Your feelings give me strength!
    • By Mila's grace!
    • Guide my hand!
  2. 2. Favourite Brave Ephraim Quote?

• We must press forward!
    • Are you prepared?
    • No time to waste.
    • By Garm's might.
  3. 3. Favourite Brave Veronica Quote?

• You will be mine.
    • So strong!
    • Just like my brother...
    • On your way.

Now that everyone has time to get our newest TT unit, let's resume this shall we?

Firstly, the previous winners are:

Legendary Ephraim "Yield or perish!"

Fallen Hardin - "You dare oppose me?"

Laegjarn - "Better me, than her..."

Now we move on the new characters from Awakening, it's Branded King Chrom, Female Morgan, Male Morgan and Gerome.

--Hp1chiR.png?itok=m9jAkjj40bbyq3s.png?itok=3PEdcEFQCccDExv.png?itok=x9QoMPNppBU37k4.png?itok=kSq8ykLi

You can have a listen to their quote in these links, under the 'Quotes' section:

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Chrom_(The_Branded_King)/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Morgan_(F)/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Morgan_(M)/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Gerome/Quotes

-------

My thoughts-

Branded King Chrom- "I can't stop this thing!" Okay, we all now how popular and memetic "I'm being helpful!" is, BUT I just really like this quote more because Chrom is REALLY losing control of his horse and being such a dork despite being titled "Branded King". You can tell Matt Mercer had so much fun voicing helpful Chrom.

Female Morgan- "Wait 'til you see this!" She has a lot of one-word quotes, and while they really fit her tactician background...are a bit too short for special quotes for me, so I went with this because it also shows her character's playful side. I do like how she says "My turn" as well, but I feel it doesn't work as well without context.

Male Morgan- "You won't win like that!" Again, I went with the longer quote since there's more time to get a feel for his voice/character. I like how confident he sounds in this quote.

Gerome- "Embrace your fate." Gerome and his aloofness is all about fate, so this is pretty much THE quote for him. Plus it just flows well as a quote.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and I think alike for Chrom. Unstoppable Chrom is best Chrom.

For Female Morgan it was definitely between Wait til you see this and My Turn. I went with my turn. From a text standpoint I prefer the former, but I feel like the voice acting was more on point for the latter. Or at least that it was done in a way that sounds more appealing to me. So I went with the latter.

Male Morgan is rather similar to Female Morgan. Except I just love the 'exactly as planned' trope. . . so that edged his 'just as I planned' quote up the list for me.

Gerome is the tough one for me. I tend to find the 'gravely' voice harsh on my ears so I effectively mentally block anything that rasps out like that. Of his quotes 'Minerva, now' is the only that doesn't really put my ears on edge. Pathetic is short enough not to bother me, but I also don't care for it much. Not sure why.

On 3/5/2018 at 3:18 PM, SilvertheShadow said:

Laegjarn - “Better me than her...” A great character defining quote and the only one which stood out. “Resist and perish” doesn’t even make any sense (maybe if it was “or” instead of “and” I might have considered it), and the others I found unremarkable. 

A bit late, but yeah, I agree her choice of quotes is a bit strange, especially when looking at it with grammar glasses.

@Usana Oh yeah, I do find Gerome's English VA a bit too forced in terms of raspiness for the edge factor. It was tolerable in Awakening but in Heroes it feels a bit too much. I do prefer the sound of his Japanese VA because it's not too forced and is more natural.

Chrom - I just love all his quotes again. He has the best VA and I love his dorky self. Just wish he'd come to me, but oh well. Another time :) I did have to go for 'I'm being helpful' just because it's so upbeat and rather adorable. I do love his other quotes, though. I will get this man one day... when he's not sharing a colour. 

F!Morgan - I find shared quotes just boring, most of the time, so I went with one of her non-shared quote. 'Wait 'til you see this'. Her quotes are fairly good overall, though. 

M!Morgan - 'You won't win like that!' - Mostly 'cos his timing with this has been hilarious for me. Like I put him against a Myrrh and he calmly stood there and watched her turn into a ginormous dragon... then promptly stated it, confidently and smashed her xD He's also used it against Grima, too, which was good fun :) 

Gerome - I actually disagree about his voice. Someone else summed it up best in General Discussion, but the raspiness feels forced because it is (at least, in my opinion). It's sort of a batman persona thing, it feels to me that he's trying to hide everything behind a mask, including his voice. There's a few times where he drops the raspiness, like when speaking to Minerva, and I like that, too. That's my own opinion, and I can understand why it would be distracting, but I quite like it :) 

I did go for 'Minerva, now!', but I quite like all of his quotes. However, his bond with Minerva is unparalleled, and its where he drops his persona a bit to let the real Gerome show, so I had to choose this one :) I was torn with the 'Embrace your fate', but that one just won out :) 

Edit: The resist and perish does make sense grammatically. She's basically saying surrender or you will die... Resist or perish makes less sense, 'cos then she's telling the person to fight, but she's not that type of person. Even in the story, if I remember, she tells them to lay down their arms and she'd make sure they wouldn't be harmed (or something like that). 

Edited by Cute Chao

39 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

The resist and perish does make sense grammatically. She's basically saying surrender or you will die... Resist or perish makes less sense, 'cos then she's telling the person to fight, but she's not that type of person. Even in the story, if I remember, she tells them to lay down their arms and she'd make sure they wouldn't be harmed (or something like that). 

I read “resist” as “stop fighting against us” as opposed to “stand up against us”, so when it comes out as “stop fighting against us and perish”, it sounds kinda weird. 

Either way, the way it was written was confusing which is why I didn’t pick it. :P

Well might as well share what I chose.

Chrom - “I’m being helpful!” I got a good laugh out of this one.

F!Morgan - “Wait til you see this”

M!Morgan - “Just as I planned”

Gerome - “Pathetic” 

I don't know if my comment was mistook, but it isn't that the raspiness annoys me. It is that it is physically?  physiologically? grating on my ears. I can be VERY sensitive noise wise.  Frankly I know of no other way to describe it than physically painful. It HURTS and makes me want to smash the source to pieces 'cause I don't like pain. And Hero's Gerome voice hits just he right frequency or whatever to begin to set that off in me. This is actually what bugs me about metal. I can actually like the instrumentals, but if they get . . . screechy? raspy? gravelly?. . . with their voice it makes me want to break them like they are breaking my ears. Volume doesn't even matter at that point.

And yeah Resist and Perish makes sense. Though it does strike me as oddly stated. Probably because surrender OR perish type statement is more common to my knowledge than the resist AND perish type statements.

12 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I read “resist” as “stop fighting against us” as opposed to “stand up against us”, so when it comes out as “stop fighting against us and perish”, it sounds kinda weird. 

Either way, the way it was written was confusing which is why I didn’t pick it. :P

Why would you read resist as 'stop fighting against us' when it means the exact opposite? To resist something is to fight against it :/ (Or did you mean you mistakenly read it that way... read and read is both present and past tense >.< Darn you English and your confusing words!).

I don't see anything confusion about the sentence. 

'Resist and perish' - Fight against us and perish. It's all there in the sentence. Like I say, it's no different from saying 'Surrender or die'. 

@Usana

No, I didn't mistake yours, though sorry if it came across that way. I was meaning it more for MCSilas' statement that it sounded forced, as I was pointing out that it was sort of meant to. I can understand if it causes irritation, or if the frequency gets to you :) I just wanted to put across my point about why I liked the voice - although I wouldn't like it either if it caused any kind of discomfort, no matter whether it suited him or not. 

And yeah, maybe 'Surrender or perish' might have been better. Would have suited the character just as well. 

Edited by Cute Chao

No big deal. I mostly brought it up because upon rereading what I had written I could see how my statement could be taken to be criticizing the forced nature of the lines rather than the lines being literally harsh on my ears.

Well, we probably have enough units now since the last slate, so let's revive this!

Firstly, let's finish up the previous winners:

Branded King Chrom "I'm being helpful!"

Morgan F - "Amateur."

Morgan M - "Just as I planned!"

Gerome "Minerva, now!"

Now let's restart the thread with some long-awaited characters from Thracia to complete the lords- it's Leif, Nanna and Finn!

Leif%20Special.png?itok=vuu6ASmMNanna%20Special.png?itok=kXqA8qkbFinn%20special.png?itok=1XnfEe5J

You can have a listen to their quote in these links, under the 'Quotes' section:

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Leif:_Prince_of_Leonster/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Nanna:_Nordion_Princess/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Finn:_Lance_of_Legend/Quotes

-------

My thoughts-

Leif- "Whatever it takes!" He has really good delivery in all of his specials line, but I think I like this one the most since it gives a sense of both desperation but also strong determination. I really like how these words flow.

Nanna- "Don't you dare!" Strong, short and I really wish you could hear healer special quotes when I hear this! I like the contrast of the ferocity of this deliver with her gentle look.

Finn- "I'll never back down!" While generic at first glance, I like how he says this and how the syllables build up when he speaks.

So glad to see this back :D

Leif - 'I'll take it back - all of it.'  - So determined. I love the way he says this. You can really feel he's someone who will do whatever it takes, and you can tell he's been through a lot.

Nanna - 'Let me through' - Again, determined and fierce. Absolutely love how she says this.

Finn - I love all of his. All of them just show how much he's been through and where his priorities lie. I went with 'This is my duty' because this feels like his top priority. He always does his duty, regardless of what it takes.

• Leif - "I won't run anymore"
  • Nanna - "There's no other way..."
  • Finn - "This is my duty!"

People who have even played Thracia 776 on a passing level (like, not entirely) will know that the above quotes typify the struggle they are going through, and are thus the most apt ones IMO.

Leif - “I won’t run anymore”

Nanna - “Don’t you dare”

Finn - “This is my duty”

Pretty unfamiliar territory for me as I never played Thracia, and none of the quotes really wowed me on their own, but solid deliveries all around.

My votes are: 

• Leif: "I'll take it back...all of it!" - Just shows the sheer determination Leif has to recover his homeland
  • Nanna: "Don't you dare!" - Short and a strong quote among the healers, shows a lot of determination on this one
  • Finn: "I'll never back down!" - There's just something about this quote, something that shows fierceness in him

Sorry for the delay, had a busy week. Now let's move on and have a look at the winners-

Leif - "I'll take it back...all of it!"

Nanna "Don't you dare!"

Finn - "I do not fear death.”

Next up are some second generation characters from Fire Emblem Fates, the children of the main characters- it's Kana M, Kana F and Shigure!

k1z8n31.png?itok=4KXxYaJKKana%20special.png?itok=UlEvDIwPShigure%20special.png?itok=Sm3ptCP6

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Kana:_Dragon_Spawn/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Kana:_Dragon_Princess/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Shigure:_Uplifting_Artist/Quotes

-------

My thoughts-

Kana M-"We won't give up!" I like the emphasis on "won't", and this makes the quote stand out more than the others. As much as I don't like shared quotes, I don't like quotes that depend on others more.

Kana F- "You won't stop me!" I like how her voice is pleasant to listen to and has a 'smooth'/gentle quality- cute but not too high-pitched or squeaky. I really like how she says her quotes, very cheerful and energetic. Even if the quotes are mostly shared, her delivery brings the lines to life in a different way to the male version.

Shigure- "An encore? If you insist!" Matt Mercer is the perfect voice for Shigure. Gentle, elegant yet strong and dynamic when needed, and I like the more intense skill quotes so this was  my choice. Also, performance references are a plus.

Edited by mcsilas

The kanas voice lines are... pretty meh to me. I went for 'We won't give up' for both, since they're nice, determined speeches. I'd've liked more to set the two apart, though, personally.

Shigure - Yay, more Matt Mercer! I can't tell you how much I adore this character, too ^.^ I like the way he says everything, but had to go for 'An encore? If you insist!' - It ties in so nicely with his character and I just love the way he says it - like getting harsher for the last part :D

5 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Finn - "Just as I planned!"

I think you mean "This is my duty!", but oh well:

• M!Kana: "We won't give up!" - The way Kana delivers this quote is got a huge determination for him, plus is sounds better than the other quotes, special mention to "Just like mama!" since he does want to be just like Corrin
  • F!Kana: "You won't stop me!" - Somehow it sounds more cute than threatening, the way she delivers this quote is very soft and gentle and very cute upon execution, "Just like papa!" gets a special mention since it's more cuter than M!Kana's quote
  • Shigure: "An encore? If you insist!" In contrast to PA!Shigure's quotes which are depressing IMO, this Shigure's quotes are very energetic and this one is the most energetic of the bunch and the way he says "An encore?" is pretty much a solid win for me

56 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

@mcsilas I think you swapped the voice lines for the Kanas. Female Kana refers to her dad while male Kana refers to his mom. 

Argh, another reason to hate genderswaps with similar crit lines..

i swapped around the “Just like Mama/Papa” lines then so if people voted for them they can resubmit their votes

21 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Argh, another reason to hate genderswaps with similar crit lines..

i swapped around the “Just like Mama/Papa” lines then so if people voted for them they can resubmit their votes

Lucky for you, there's no genderswaps for now

Kana M "We won't give up!"

Kana F "You won't stop me!"

Shigure - "An encore? If you insist!"

Moving on from the Fates second generation characters, we head on over to Jugdral's second generation- it's Ares, Lene and Ishtar!

78y6ail_0.png?itok=kj9p2rzAByEMq14.png?itok=4eeFmdtABx6JJVJ.png?itok=5anOzSPS

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ares:_Black_Knight/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Lene:_Yearning_Dancer/Quotes

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Ishtar:_Thunder_Goddess/Quotes

-------

My thoughts-

Ares - "I will take your life!" As fitting as "Drink, Mystletainn!" is, I really like the delivery of this line the most. I love the growing emphasis on each word and is something that would strike fear to the enemy.

Lene - "So rude!" I love the sassiness of this quote, like you just interrupted her dance.

Ishtar- "Mjölnir's wrath!" Very fitting, and has the most oomph in terms of delivery. You know you messed up when she says this and activates her special.

I'll start with Ishtar. I wasn't really sure. I don't care much for any of them given the way they are delivered. In the end I went with "There's nothing more to be said", because I feel the intonation/delivery fit best with that line. It might just because I am really tired after work today, but none of the lines feel like they had much energy so stuff like X Wrath or you will die here just feels off. Point is this may more be a case of my own mood impacting the way I feel the lines and I may have went another way on another day.

Ares - I just liked the way he delivered You Scoundrel. Or maybe I just like that line. I will take your life is also a good one, I just felt it was a bit on the wordy side and for energetic deliveries I usually prefer shorter lines.

Lene- So Rude. For exactly the same reasons.

I love Ares so much. He's just so perfectly done in this game - which makes me happy as he's my favourite FE4 character :D

'Drink Mystletainn' is my favourite from him. He says it so harshly and I like that it brings the sword into play, since it's so important to him.

Lene - 'You rat' - I quite like most of her lines but this is said so well. She sounds so haughty, it's great :D

Ishtar - 'Mjolnir's Wrath!' - Again, I really like the way she says this. I don't know if her weapon is as important to her as Ares' but even so, it's said really well :)