Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Meanwhile, I got 2 victories and lost 440 Lift. Sadface.

Maybe I should update my defense team. I haven't changed it since the first or second month.

I was curious about your map, and I tested him.

How well it does normally, because I didn't have much problem to beat it. In light season I even got both pots, while in Anima I was able to get only one. I didn't lose any unit in both tries.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

Sorry, I just had to vent after getting beat down 3 times in a row....😣

It happens. I sometimes go through all my Ladders on day 1.

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

I also feel like I don't know how to evaluate the threats to even decide which team to send in. It's all incredibly frustrating.

In my opinion, this just takes practice. Veteran players already have like two years of practice in Arena before Aether Raids even came out, so some of us are already used to dealing with highly obnoxious builds.

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

My team comps suck, I just have 3 variations of the B!Ike tank (with different support units), a cc/vantage team with Thraja that sucks because I don't know who to pair (running Ophelia, Lilina, & 2 dancers) that's my worst scoring team at 90, and a stupid dragon team because I don't know what else.

We all have to start from somewhere. It took me years building my Arena Assault teams, and I am still not done building them (I still need a few more Firesweep archers). Aether Raids is going to take me about another 2 to 3 years to finish building up both seasons, and right now, I only have 3 teams.

I recommend making a team that you are comfortable using that can consistently win without worrying about scoring. By win, I mean any kind of win, including horrible wins where only one or two units survive. Just by having a team that can almost guarantee a win will give you a piece of mind that you are not afraid of any team, or at least not afraid of most teams, since you will almost always be earning some Lift. Without fear or worry, it is easier to remain calm and work out a plan to tackle a difficult map.

35 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

And yeah, I have done a bunch of practices in my friends list. But I guess my list isn't very big, I'm able to easily beat friends that are around my lift (which is only a few), but when I try against T21-T26 friends (like @XRay), I of course have no chance. So practices are helpful, but limited after I've beat them a few times

My defense team is not a true cav line, so there are plenty of places to hide. The easiest and cheapest way to deal with my defense team in my opinion is to run a super tank. Alternatively, another easy but more expensive option is to run a Galeforce armor team; you Reposition over the mountains a bulky armor unit that can Galeforce and have it take out two of my nukes or Dancers/Singers on turn one, then wall my nukes on Enemy Phase, and then proceed to wipe the rest out.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

Why do I even bother to play AR? This has to be my most miserable week ever. I just played 3 matches hoping to earn even a little lift before the reset, and I lost all 3. 2 of them were for running out of time with 1 enemy to go. And my defense was hit 8 times this week for a total of 300 lift loss. Out of those 8 losses, I had a total of "1 foes defeated!" Just pathetic. The way everything is setup, I won't have the resources to be competitive for at least 6 months it feels like. And I'm no longer F2P, I've spent more money than I care to admit over the last 2 months so it's not only about getting the best units (although that sucks too. It takes forever to +10 multiple units. Forget 5* exclusives), I'm thinking more along the lines of earning enough coins to buy/upgrade seals and upgrade fortress/other buildings. My team comps suck, I just have 3 variations of the B!Ike tank (with different support units), a cc/vantage team with Thraja that sucks because I don't know who to pair (running Ophelia, Lilina, & 2 dancers) that's my worst scoring team at 90, and a stupid dragon team because I don't know what else. I'd like to maybe build a Galeforce team, but I don't know where to start. I also feel like I don't know how to evaluate the threats to even decide which team to send in. It's all incredibly frustrating. 

Sorry, I just had to vent after getting beat down 3 times in a row....😣

grails darling. grails. 

honestly - and this is just me. as long as my defense helps me not get demoted - i'm good with it. maybe down the road i'll start bothering properly blessing units 😉 and all of that fun stuff but it is insanely crazy to see what obliterates my defense (and what my defense can obliterate). I keep telling you - not everything needs to be done. poof. it does take time. It took me about a year to do really well in Arena. (ie: my 4 crowns). and i needed a lot of hand holding to gt to 21, and to getmy first throne. and it took a lot of months to get my feathers and what not to get whom i wanted. 

just... take your time.  now if being best competitive is what you want. then go for it. but also take time to save and build up favourites. a lot of people are great with great teams. but i just have to say find out what you want to accomplish THEN go towards that.i hope that helps 

I have to piggyback on @XRay
get a team or two that you know that can net you points. Last week - my team got obliterated and I had one Survivor (Caeda). it was actually a thing of beauty LOL. I don't play ideal AR. i try for the points, and if i can geta pot. great. but i just try to get as much lift as i can. 

Edited by daisy jane

Thanks everybody. I'll add some of you so I can get more practice in.  Like I said, I just checked my defense record for the first time since Christmas and saw that it was probably my worst week in a while, then to immediately lose 3 matches in a row was just aggravating (I'm sure it doesn't help that I woke up at 5:30am for the first time in forever this morning 😫) . I need to figure something out for my defense team, whether it's better units or better map design. Just something to slow the bleeding. Right now I just put in whatever mythic/legendary units that give me the lowest lift loss, sitting -50 right now. I assume even if I lose, whatever kills I get will save some lift loss? I need to figure out some effective units, then worry about if the blessings make sense. 

10 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

honestly - and this is just me. as long as my defense helps me not get demoted - i'm good with it. maybe down the road i'll start bothering properly blessing units 😉 and all of that fun stuff but it is insanely crazy to see what obliterates my defense (and what my defense can obliterate). I keep telling you - not everything needs to be done. poof. it does take time. It took me about a year to do really well in Arena. (ie: my 4 crowns). and i needed a lot of hand holding to gt to 21, and to getmy first throne. and it took a lot of months to get my feathers and what not to get whom i wanted. 

See that's the thing, I keep bouncing back and forth between T18 and T19. My defense team keeps bringing me down. I'm not trying to be the best player out there, I'm not that competitive. I'd just like to make it to T21 or whatever and be able to stay there. I guess it just takes time, it will probably take me a month or more just to be able to afford the fully upgraded Hardy Bearing seal. And that's just one out of a dozen useful seals. Ugg, like I said frustrating 

Anyway, I did better last Astra season so hopefully this will be more of the same and I can climb a bit further into the tier. I also want to put together a strong Galeforce team, I think I have the right units for it. But I'll ask later in another post when I have more time.  

1 minute ago, TEKWRX said:

Thanks everybody. I'll add some of you so I can get more practice in.  Like I said, I just checked my defense record for the first time since Christmas and saw that it was probably my worst week in a while, then to immediately lose 3 matches in a row was just aggravating (I'm sure it doesn't help that I woke up at 5:30am for the first time in forever this morning 😫) . I need to figure something out for my defense team, whether it's better units or better map design. Just something to slow the bleeding. Right now I just put in whatever mythic/legendary units that give me the lowest lift loss, sitting -50 right now. I assume even if I lose, whatever kills I get will save some lift loss? I need to figure out some effective units, then worry about if the blessings make sense. 

See that's the thing, I keep bouncing back and forth between T18 and T19. My defense team keeps bringing me down. I'm not trying to be the best player out there, I'm not that competitive. I'd just like to make it to T21 or whatever and be able to stay there. I guess it just takes time, it will probably take me a month or more just to be able to afford the fully upgraded Hardy Bearing seal. And that's just one out of a dozen useful seals. Ugg, like I said frustrating 

Anyway, I did better last Astra season so hopefully this will be more of the same and I can climb a bit further into the tier. I also want to put together a strong Galeforce team, I think I have the right units for it. But I'll ask later in another post when I have more time.  

it took me.... i think 3-4 months to get out of 19-20 Hell. 
trust me i was where you were last year. @Landmaster, etc can attest. I was just running around like a rabbit trying to figure everything out, trying to get everything. not knowing what to do. i hear you on the seal thing. 

here's something for you. I think only one unit of my defense has the right blessing and i don't even switch for anima (even though i have dumas sitting right there in my barracks ) basically because what i have works for me. (and i'm lazy i'll admit it) AND there are a lot of stuff still kicking my butt (ie: blessed gardens stuff). while i have a crap tonne of blessings, i don't like throwing them around willynilly. 

but i think you'll get into tier 21 before you know it. 

2 hours ago, TEKWRX said:

Why do I even bother to play AR?

I'm really glad I'm not the only person who feels this way

3 hours ago, XRay said:

If you want something cheap, you can just run cav line with a Dancer/Singer on the middle left column behind the mountain. If you do not have a lot of cavalry, you can replace the missing spots with additional Dancers/Singers, ranged infantry, or ranged armors with Armor Boots/Armor March.

For Infantry Pulse, you will need a variety of nukes to shut down super tanks and their supports.I recommend running a Blazing nuke (Igrene, Ophelia), one shot nuke (Sonya, Lilina), Alm: Saint King, Panic staff user (Azama, Wrys), Hardy Bearing Dancer/Singer (usually Festival in Hoshido Micaiah, anyone with Dragonslasher), and the last one you can run a second Dance/Singer, another nuke, or Melancholy staff user.

Unfortunately I only have Duma for defense 

I do not have Pairup Alm, but I do have a bride Lyn as well as an Ethlyn with gravity staff (dazzle refine). If I really want to do Panic I could since I have the fodder for it. I do have a +Atk Lilina with Forblaze (unrefined)...

As for a dancer... I have Ninian, Inigo, Ryoma, Sylvia, and Lene... 

And of course Peony. I could set her for defense I guess 🤔

If I wanted to do the cavalry route... I have a +3 +Atk Rein and Brave Lyn who has both Brave Bow+ and refined Mulagir. Besides those two, the only "powerful" cav unit I have is Lethe I guess... I'm unsure how OP Xander and Camus may be 

I still have free red tome Erika and a -Spd Kaden

57 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I'm really glad I'm not the only person who feels this way

I do not have Pairup Alm, but I do have a bride Lyn as well as an Ethlyn with gravity staff (dazzle refine). If I really want to do Panic I could since I have the fodder for it. I do have a +Atk Lilina with Forblaze (unrefined)...

If I wanted to do the cavalry route... I have a +3 +Atk Rein and Brave Lyn who has both Brave Bow+ and refined Mulagir. Besides those two, the only "powerful" cav unit I have is Lethe I guess... I'm unsure how OP Xander and Camus may be 

Silvia is best dancer

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

monster hp so she won't be isolated by Fjorm. 
great res so she can take magic hits (people not named Ophelia). 

Hm

If that's the reason why, I could just use Ninian

The only key difference is 3 less speed 

Unless being a red dancer is more favorable than being a blue dancer 

35 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Silvia is best dancer

I stupidly merged my Silvia 4* to +4 (and my Olivia to +6), but I've been thinking about promoting her to 5* because of how good I hear she is in AR. What IV is best? I think I have +Spd right now, but if that's not great, what should I be looking for? And does she want her Barrier Blade, or is there something better? 

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

Hm

If that's the reason why, I could just use Ninian

The only key difference is 3 less speed 

Unless being a red dancer is more favorable than being a blue dancer 

i honestly don't know. i really like Silvia so she's a project (as is half the roster lol)

22 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Tell me why and maybe I'll actually level her

She dummy thicc with huge HP so she can run Infantry Pulse, Sudden Panic, Panic Ploy, and dodge Isolation from Fjorm. She's also pretty fast and has good Res to stop Dragon tanks~

1 minute ago, TEKWRX said:

I stupidly merged my Silvia 4* to +4 (and my Olivia to +6), but I've been thinking about promoting her to 5* because of how good I hear she is in AR. What IV is best? I think I have +Spd right now, but if that's not great, what should I be looking for? And does she want her Barrier Blade, or is there something better? 

+HP is her best IV on an AR Defense team. +Spd for anything else~ I usually keep Barrier Blade on her, but I run Armorsmasher in AR Defense. She is also good as a Slaying Edge Galeforcer if you want to go that route~

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

In my opinion, Duma is generally a detriment to a defense team performance wise since he does not work very synergistically with non-armors. He does reduce Lift loss if you have Anima Blessed units with him; if it is just by himself without Anima Blessed units though, he cannot reduce Lift loss. If you are not going to Bless the rest of your defense team with Anima Blessing, then I do not think it is worth it to run Duma.

— — — — — — —

For Infantry Pulse, if you do not have Alm: Saint King or Celica: Queen of Valentia, you can replace them with other nukes. The reason I like Valentian royals is because they heavily punish super tanks who neglect buffing Spd. By forcing super tanks to devote parts of their buffs to Spd, it means that those tanks are running less Def/Res buffs, making those tanks more vulnerable to other nukes on the team.

For the team, I would run something like Igrene, Lilina, Bridal Blessings Lyn, Panic staff user, Ninian, and Silvia. You may also want to consider swapping BB!Lyn for Glorious Gifts Jaffar since the defense team looks vulnerable to a blue super tank. GG!Jaffar is not infantry, but he can hit decently hard and his shit movement can be mitigated with Armored Boots, so he can be a temporary substitute until you get a green infantry nuke. Ideally, he would run something like Barb Shuriken, Moonbow, Fury, and maybe Bold Fighter so he has a better chance to overwhelm blue super tanks.

— — — — — — —

For cav line, I would run ranged infantry units over melee cavalry units. They have the same reach on an open field, but ranged infantry are better in my opinion because they can hit over obstacles.

This is how I set up my semi cav line:
Reinhardt, BH!Lyn, VS!Azura, NS!F!Corrin, Olivia, BB!Cordelia

Since my left side is covered by cavalry, I focused on putting traps on the right side instead. Both my archers are running Firesweep. BB!Cordelia runs Growing Wind and Flashing Blade, so if she gets Danced/Sung to, she can deal a ton of splash damage that Reinhard and NS!F!Corrin can take advantage of.

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

She dummy thicc with huge HP so she can run Infantry Pulse, Sudden Panic, Panic Ploy, and dodge Isolation from Fjorm. She's also pretty fast and has good Res to stop Dragon tanks~

That feel when 40 base HP counts as huge these days.

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

A maxed out Bride Fjorm has 70 HP (45 base with Asset, 1 Dragonflower, 4 merge, 10 skills, 10 Mythic blessing).

A maxed out Sylvia has 73 HP (43 base with Asset, 1 Dragonflower, 4 merge, 5 refine, 10 skills, 10 Mythic blessing), so you can afford to give up a maximum of 5 points of HP and still dodge every Isolation possible, and you can still give up more points if you don't expect to see fully optimized Fjorms.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

In my opinion, Duma is generally a detriment to a defense team performance wise since he does not work very synergistically with non-armors. He does reduce Lift loss if you have Anima Blessed units with him; if it is just by himself without Anima Blessed units though, he cannot reduce Lift loss. If you are not going to Bless the rest of your defense team with Anima Blessing, then I do not think it is worth it to run Duma.

Upheaval makes it easier to set up Thrasir's Killing Intent since crafty players may be able to keep debuffs off of their main tank. Having additional redundancies to set up Killing Intent is never a bad thing.

Well, going into this season with a new “try to care about bonus units” mentality made me a bit apprehensive, but it worked out pretty well. Brunnya mostly just sat on the sidelines and watched. She did have one clutch play in the final match, taking a QR-less Seliph down to his Miracle, allowing Roy to eat the Vantage+Vengeance to set up the Galeforce sweep.

Hopefully Jaffar can pull off the same sit-on-the-sidelines-and-Watch shtick, because I have no idea how to build that guy. I guess I can switch Sothis to Astra for the season if I’m really having issues.

~

@TEKWRX

If you need more mock battle practice, feel free to send a request my way: 8566518658. Briefly glancing at your description of your offense raiding party setups, 3 for Brave Ike seems like a lot. I would generally recommend committing to one play style for your Raiding Parties; you may be able to get some mileage out of splitting up that Mage team into (1) Ophelia + Refreshers and (2) CC/Vantage Tharja.

5 hours ago, Landmaster said:

I need someone to test my new Anima team anyway~

Is that an open-ended invitation to potential map-testers?

2 hours ago, Landmaster said:

+HP is her best IV on an AR Defense team. +Spd for anything else~ I usually keep Barrier Blade on her, but I run Armorsmasher in AR Defense. She is also good as a Slaying Edge Galeforcer if you want to go that route~

Thanks. I just promoted my Silvia and am leveling her up now. Mine is +Spd, and because she was merged I forgot what her bane was. Wanna guess? Yep, -HP 😣 That's fine though, I'll add another merge in a day or two and get rid of it. I'll keep an eye out for a +HP, hopefully a unit comes out that will make me want to pull on red more often. How should I start building her? I'll do WoM once I can another Cain copy. I don't have any Panic Ploy users at the moment, so that might be fun. Is that skill worth 20k? I only have it available on Valter. If not, what else is recommended? I hate having units with empty skill lots, but I'm not a fan of wasting SI either so I need something useful long term.

Also, thanks to everyone who posted their friend codes for me. I sent out the requests. My name on FEH is Halfdan

Edited by TEKWRX
friend code

14 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Is that an open-ended invitation to potential map-testers?

Hell to the yes it is: 7926931216~ Go crazy~

18 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

Thanks. I just promoted my Silvia and am leveling her up now. Mine is +Spd, and because she was merged I forgot what her bane was. Wanna guess? Yep, -HP 😣 That's fine though, I'll add another merge in a day or two and get rid of it. I'll keep an eye out for a +HP, hopefully a unit comes out that will make me want to pull on red more often. How should I start building her? I'll do WoM once I can another Cain copy. I don't have any Panic Ploy users at the moment, so that might be fun. Is that skill worth 20k? I only have it available on Valter. If not, what else is recommended? I hate having units with empty skill lots, but I'm not a fan of wasting SI either so I need something useful long term.

Also, thanks to everyone who posted their friend codes for me. I sent out the requests. My name on FEH is Halfdan

Are you using her on Defense or Offense? If Defense, you can get Infantry Pulse from Marisa and Panic Ploy from Garon or Valter. Garon has it at 4*. But don't give her those Skills without merging her up because her HP is too low to take advantage of it, right now. Otherwise, she just needs HP boosting Skills in her A and S slot. I personally run Panic Ploy in the Seal slot for mine, but you can just choose to stack HP if you want.

A basic dancer build is her base Mirror Stance, WOM, Hone Atk or Atk Tactic and potentially another Tactic as a Seal. If you do intend to build her for Galeforce, she will eventually need Flashing Blade for the Seal instead. 

Thanks. I'd probably use her in AR-D as I usually use L!Azura or Peony on offense. I'm not spending any grails for fodder because they're too hard to come by and I already have at least two merge projects right now (W!Cecilia is my Astra carry), so I can't spare any grails. I can sack a Valter I already have for Panic Ploy. But if you say it's not worth it until some merges, maybe I'll save the feathers for those first. What's a decent HP number can get her at when I should get the skill? 

2 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

Thanks. I'd probably use her in AR-D as I usually use L!Azura or Peony on offense. I'm not spending any grails for fodder because they're too hard to come by and I already have at least two merge projects right now (W!Cecilia is my Astra carry), so I can't spare any grails. I can sack a Valter I already have for Panic Ploy. But if you say it's not worth it until some merges, maybe I'll save the feathers for those first. What's a decent HP number can get her at when I should get the skill? 

An unmerged -HP Silvia with HP+10, fielded with 2 Sothis and a weapon refine can reach 62 HP. I'd say you want at least 60 for Ploying since most tanks can reach 60-70, but you can hit Mage nukes with it.

OK so now that I can see your Defense Team, I'd suggest overhauling your map structure placement. Your main problem is all your units are trapped and there is no way for them to get out. Anyone can snipe your Sothis duo and Grima and easily clean up the other two. Your Fortress is your main means of slowing down your opponents but it isn't really doing much where you have it now. I would also move the pots somewhere else, since they're kinda conflicting with your traps right now. Anyone can freely test all of your traps with no consequences because your units won't be able to reach them.

I'd try to put your team closer together, too. The Sothis Duo in the corner is just making them easy to kill with no consequences. Dark Shrine is also a very valuable structure so I'd try to put it in a place where your opponent can't break it. Finally, you have no Duo Hero on your Defense team so that Duo's Hinderance is not doing anything for your team. I find both Shrines should be a permanent structure on any Defensive map, so perhaps replace the Duo's Hinderance with the Bright Shrine if you'd built it already~

56 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

+10 Sylvia [+HP / +Spd] +5 Dragonflower
[whatever] [Spd / Def / Res]
Dance
[whatever]
R Duel Infantry 3 / HP +5 / HP/Atk 2 / HP/Spd 2
Sudden Panic 3 / Wings of Mercy 3
Infantry Pulse 3 / [whatever]
HP +5 / HP/Atk 2 / HP/Spd 2

Honestly, I don't think it's all that worth it to go out of your way to put Panic Ploy on her if you don't already have fodder lined up or you are really invested in this defense team. If you don't like empty skill slots, just drop a Hone, Drive, or Tactic in the slot that can be useful for other game modes while you wait for spares you can afford to fodder.

68 HP guarantees that she cannot be stopped by Gjallarbru.

Without an HP Asset, she reaches that with 2 Mythic blessing boosts, +8 merges, +1 Dragonflower, a refined weapon, and 2 HP/* dual stat passive skills. With an HP Asset, you can reach that with 2 Mythic blessing boosts, +1 merge, +1 Dragonflower, a refined weapon, and 2 HP/* dual stat passive skills.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

Got you. I took the liberty of peeking at your defense map, which I’m assuming is somewhat influenced by the types of maps you’ve been facing (a guess based on the screenshots you’ve posted). You usually don’t want to box up your units like that, it gives the enemy a lot of freedom while restricting your own units. It looks like you’re trying to get a refresher lined up for defense, that’s a good start.

51 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Hell to the yes it is: 7926931216~ Go crazy~

Cool. Sent you a request. You’ll know it when you see it =P .

I’ll check out your map after I beat up some more of these Jaffars my Rokkr Sieges world people are so...kindly...leaving alive.

Edited by LordFrigid