Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

35 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

Fair, but speedruns should exist for all genres.

Wouldnt that defeat the point of it being designed around battling and leveling up? 

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

The enemies aren't shown in the map, if you haven't unlocked the corridor yet, but you still can see the shadows.

Then too bad if they're looking at you, since the narrow corridor means you can't get past them when they charge at you with so little room to maneuver. It's better off fighting them then escape than the time it would take for it to move to a point I can get past it.

Breaks even more the pace than if it was a random encounter, since there's a chance I would not have a fight at all. Which makes it better.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

If it's part of a trilogy, should I have played other games before it or can I play it without any prior knowledge?

They're not directly connected, like the Erdrick Trilogy. You can play them in any order, it's fine.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Is it a good option for someone new to traditional RPGs? I've been wanting to give some a try, but I didn't really know where to start.

My advice would be to start with Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6, both being considered some of the best RPGs Square ever made and they aren’t to hard. DQ 5 can be challenging if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Edited by Wraith

Just now, Wraith said:

May advice would be to start with Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6, both being considered some of the best RPGs Square ever made and they aren’t to hard. DQ 5 can be challenging if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Good to know. Thanks! 👍

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Final Fantasy 6, both being considered some of the best RPGs Square ever made and they aren’t to hard. 

I'm not too sure about this, personally, but to each their own.

7 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

You can SEE the enemies in this example, so you can avoid the fights.

That's the little and main difference.

I would even sorta understand, if it was referred to fatigue.

SEEING does not mean it easy 100% possible to avoid fights. I have died more times in Persona 3 trying to avoid fights/messing up avoiding them, than your scenario you brought up for the sake of this argument. (since if I am low on health and want to escape for the night, then I have to leave. Same with fatigue, if it bugs you in my argument so much) since if they see me and charge at me while I'm trying to avoid them, or get driven into a corner because of the random map, I might as well be dead, if it's a dangerous encounter, and you only have 100% escape chance if it's a player advantage.

Also, in some games, the enemies are programmed to charge at you, if they are on the map. Just because I can SEE them, doesn't mean there aren't times I am 100% going to get into an encounter.
Yes, I can SEE the enemies on the map in Dragon Quest VII on 3DS, but considering some are programmed to charge at me out of nowhere, and I have about > 1 second to react, yea, I'm still going to get encounters I might not want, and other games do this as well.

Okay, I have to leave for a moment, so I can only add this for now.

Despite my posts, I don't mind monsters on the map either. It's just trying to argue if one's better than the other doesn't sit well with me, since I like both. I do understand the advantages monsters of the map have, but to say it makes them superior to random encounters is... yeah...

Well then, brb.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Flashbacks to trying to navigate the unknown territory of Gormott with a level 81 and level 72 OP enemy around that can just engage you in battle whenever and disable your minimap that way, so you're basically flying blind while panicking AND their attacks can hit you from anywhere, so you'll die 100% if they spot you.
Because Game Design (tm).

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They're not directly connected, like the Erdrick Trilogy. You can play them in any order, it's fine.

Thanks! 🙂

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

In terms of classic JRPGs which predate the PSX I often heard many people state that FF 6 and CT are amongst the best of the best. Many critics believe this as they made many best of list over the years and seem to be very beloved by fans.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, this is your each to my own, so, I agree with this statement of Wraith's.

Alright, before I actually leave.

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, can we talk about how a six-year old kid is fighting his way through a cave full of dangerous monsters?
Because that's what I'm currently doing. For what reason, I do not know, but here we are. XD

I wanted to comment on this.

Well, per the dialogue, they spent the last two years traveling around the world. Makes sense if he's not that fazed to do so. Also, since it's a cave his dad goes often, he likely takes care of the truly dangerous things, leaving only rabble that avoids him but are more in line to Madason's strength.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I wanted to comment on this.

Well, per the dialogue, they spent the last two years traveling around the world. Makes sense if he's not that fazed to do so. Also, since it's a cave his dad goes often, he likely takes care of the truly dangerous things, leaving only rabble that avoids him but are more in line to Madason's strength.

True enough, I suppose!

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

You brought that one upon yourself, friend.
raw

Eh, I couldn't resist. Too good to pass up.

tenor.gif?itemid=12381387

And it's fun to mess with Wraith a bit.

Edited by twilitfalchion