Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Wraith said:

A lot of the early 3D games on the N64 or PSX don’t look very good and haven’t aged very well.

It's amazing how the generation preceding the 32/64 bit generation and the generation that succeeded it both hold up incredibly well today, but the odd one in the middle mostly looks like hot garbage when upscaled or even in native res.

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Again, if you’re talking about the IOS or Steam ports I’ve heard that they do have a few bugs. However, if you’re playing the original SNES or GBA versions of FF6, those should be relatively bug free unless you get a bad copy of the game.

Edited by Wraith

But I'm tamer than those more rabid ones.

Anyhoo, it's how the late-90s 3D graphics made me appreciate jRPG ports to the Switch, and I'm wishing there'd be more of them (Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story, PLEASE!).

If I hadn't gotten already the mobile port of Valkyrie Profile, I'd also be wanting for a port on Steam or so.

Also, FF I and II on Steam when SE!?

3 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

But I'm tamer than those more rabid ones.

Anyhoo, it's how the late-90s 3D graphics made me appreciate jRPG ports to the Switch, and I'm wishing there'd be more of them (Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story, PLEASE!).

Valkyrie Profile is available on IOS and Android I believe.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Is it just me, or is the atmosphere here really tense for some reason?
Don't fight, y'all.

Nah, it does feel a bit tense. Beautiful song you shared btw.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Is it just me, or is the atmosphere here really tense for some reason?
Don't fight, y'all.

I’m more just confused because I’ve never really heard of FF6 in general being a buggy mess and never experienced any of these major glitches myself. Again I’ve heard mixed reactions to the Steam and IOS ports, but one does have the ability to play other versions of the game, plus it’s not really the fault of the original versions because those where shipped in a playable manner.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

@Wraith

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Sketch_bug

Read this. And this is one of over 100.

It says that it was fixed in in the 1.1 version of the game, and it seems most versions that are available for purchase nowadays don’t have it.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

@Wraith

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Sketch_bug

Read this. And this is one of over 100.

Hmm, it says there it's a problem that happened only in the initial release... and in ROM's. HMM

Anyway, it says it's been resolved since the 1.1v, the PSX port and onward. So it should no longer be a problem, then.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Nah, it does feel a bit tense.

Right?

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Beautiful song you shared btw.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I’m more just confused because I’ve never really heard of FF6 in general being a buggy mess and never experienced any of these major glitches myself. Again I’ve heard mixed reactions to the Steam and IOS ports, but one does have the ability to play other versions of the game, plus it’s not really the fault of the original versions because those where shipped in a playable manner.

I have no stake in this, to be honest. I've never played FFVI, so I can't judge it one way or the other.
I just know the song I talked about knowing and that it's one of the most beloved Final Fantasy games.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, it says there it's a problem that happened only in the initial release... and in ROM's. HMM

Anyway, it says it's been resolved since the PSX port and onward. So it should no longer be a problem, then.

Yeah, now read farther than that. As i said before, they have alot of bugs, and the GBA port has problems as well. That was my main example because destroying save data kinda puts me off playing.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, now read farther than that. As i said before, they have alot of bugs, and the GBA port has problems as well. That was my main example because destroying save data kinda puts me off playing.

Yes, I'm aware. However, just on first statement, how many have been resolved over the years? It's not a good thing to keep bringing up problems long resolved.

I feel like if you are aggressive about a game because of people who are the worst in fandoms (btw, every game's fandom has someone like this) isn't especially fair. Since every series, game, etc. has people like that, I don't think it's good to justify something because of someone like that when I could say that for literally any game that exists.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I’ve beaten the GBA version and never personally experienced any of these glitches. It’s just that when I think of games that are critiqued for being a buggy mess, FF6 isn’t one of them.

15 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Nah, I was just stating my opinion. I've never liked the game or its harsh fans. They dump on you if you say one bad thing about the game, like it's on some pedestal.

Good thing I don't go preaching that IX is better.

I haven't touched the SNES version, but I do know a lot of those bugs have been fixed since (also the PS1 version is slow. And it was the first FF I ever played!), if you decide to try it again just go with GBA even if the sound chip is a bit worse. I decided to look into what has gone on there (being it had been a while since I looked around and ) and I'll just leave some links to look at with bugs and changes.

Messy as it is, for some the exploits they found were part of the appeal and most of those bugs were all small things that often needed exploits (not losing Interceptor though. That's just cruel). Me, I just like the game as a whole.

As an aside, teehee.

2 minutes ago, Caster said:

I feel like if you are aggressive about a game because of people who are the worst in fandoms (btw, every game's fandom has someone like this) isn't especially fair. Since every series, game, etc. has people like that, I don't think it's good to justify something because of someone like that when I could say that for literally any game that exists.

I wasn't being aggressive, I just dont like the game, if you do,  that's fine. 

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes, I'm aware. However, just on first statement, how many have been resolved over the years? It's not a good thing to keep bringing up problems long resolved.

They also created a bunch of their own new ones, so consider that too. I suppose you could look at it that way.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I’ve beaten the GBA version and never personally experienced any of these glitches. It’s just that when I think of games that are critiqued for being a buggy mess, FF6 isn’t one of them.

I've never played the GBA version

10 minutes ago, Caster said:

I honestly don’t really give a damn about the FF series anymore. It can burn in a ditch and I won’t really care. I’ve just never really heard about these glitches before in FF6 and also thought that my own personal experience with the game went smoothly and without any issues with the game bugging out on me.

Edited by Wraith

Just now, lightcosmo said:

To be fair, I dislike FFVII just as much if not more than VI.

I honestly didn’t think much of FF7 when I played it, although I know I’m in the minority when it comes to my opinion on the game.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I honestly don’t really give a damn about the FF series anymore. It can burn in a ditch and I won’t really care. I’ve just never really heard about these glitches before in FF6 and also thought that my own personal experience with the game went smoothly and without any issues with the game bugging out on me.

I feel like saying a game is a buggy, glitchy mess depends mostly on how badly it's likely to affect casual play, or how likely you are to get stuck because of something. Yes, FF6 has a lot of glitches and bugs, but I feel like you aren't likely to see many of them unless you're actively trying to. So I feel for some games "being a buggy mess" isn't the most fair argument to why it's bad... there are some easy exploits, yea, but you aren't going to see some of them. And things like evasion not working just change how you play the game.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I wasn't being aggressive, I just dont like the game, if you do,  that's fine. 

The language used in prior posts belies that point, though. Which brings me to this assertion:

Not every fan of something you don't necessarily like holds you as dislikable (if there even is such a word) for having a different opinion. By the same token, they don't deserve the vitriol you might come up with or dumping on their fave game/music/whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Caster said:

I feel like saying a game is a buggy, glitchy mess depends mostly on how badly it's likely to affect casual play, or how likely you are to get stuck because of something. Yes, FF6 has a lot of glitches and bugs, but I feel like you aren't likely to see many of them unless you're actively trying to. So I feel for some games "being a buggy mess" isn't the most fair argument to why it's bad... there are some easy exploits, yea, but you aren't going to see some of them. And things like evasion not working just change how you play the game.

I’m in agreement with you Caster, like I’ve been saying FF6 wasn’t a headache to play due to any glitches.