• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

You haven't played Path of Radiance to completion yet. Trust me, that is indeed a plot point that follows Ike for most of the game, without spoiling anything specific (if you care about spoliers).

Spoiler

But is he actually?

Him disobeying orders in Ch2 is never followed on, as the mercs conveniently got bigger things to worry about.

Him snapping at Sanaki only gets him a slap in the wrist, not an actual punishment.

Admittedly, that's the only ones I can remember at the moment.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:
  Hide contents

But is he actually?

Him disobeying orders in Ch2 is never followed on, as the mercs conveniently got bigger things to worry about.

Him snapping at Sanaki only gets him a slap in the wrist, not an actual punishment.

Admittedly, that's the only ones I can remember at the moment.

I'm talking more about

Spoiler

revenge against the Black Knight being his primary motivation for most of the game. Yes, he does work to stop Ashnard, but one of the goals in the forefront of his mind (from my perspective at least) was to avenge his father's death. His dialogue in the encounters with BK conveys it very clearly, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Beorc/Laguz coming together is one of the main themes of FE9. They had to continue on that in FE10, especially with Micaiah going ''Kill Laguz'' after they helped her in her rebillion

It's not incompatible, though.

PoR didn't had the Laguz suddenly becoming the stars of the show and sidelining the beorc in what was their war after they joined forces together.

RD could've done the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

He still didn't have to the Lord.

The mercs still didn't have to the mains.

I don't see how ''anyone else could've done it'' is a valid reason tbh.

Don't forget, FE10 is a sequel to FE9, sidelining the protags of the previous game like that isn't something that goes over well.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Why would he need to accept a Daein's contract to even be in Daein? Be a little more creative. The job could take him there. Doesn't have to mean he was hired there.

Let's do something super complicated just to force Ike to help Daein. Would feel super forced.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Because it's not really Ike's conflict-It's Skrimir's. Ike did not need to replace Skrimir in his conflict but ended up doing that anyways.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Because it's not really Ike's conflict-It's Skrimir's. Ike did not need to replace Skrimir in his conflict but ended up doing that anyways.

You say he replaced him, but I see it as more them working side-by-side because they need each other to win. Beorc need the laguz's strength and laguz need the beorc strategies to win, from my perspective at least.

Edited by twilitfalchion

I can kinda understand Benice as he didn't play FE9 first, but the whole Beorg/Laguz thing was very big in FE9 and we had to see them working together in FE10. 

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

You say he replaced him, but I see it as more them working side-by-side because they need each other to win. Beorc need the laguz's strength and laguz need the beorc strategies to win.

basically, this.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Don't forget, FE10 is a sequel to FE9, sidelining the protags of the previous game like that isn't something that goes over well.

Let's do something super complicated just to force Ike to help Daein. Would feel super forced.

That's not what I'm saying. The mercs can still be there, Soren can still give tactical insight and clash with Skrimir.

Why can't he be the Hector to Skrimir's Eliwood? You seem to be under the impression that his presence means Ike has to be the main Lord. He can not be and still be important for the plot. Besides, he was already sidelined by not appearing in Parts 1 and 2 until the very end of the latter anyway. But then this allowed other characters (Micaiah and Elincia) their chance to shine. So why Skrimir can't have that same courtesy? Why must Ike be the one taking the lead again, if they were already in the plan of giving the spotlight to other characters?

That's my point of "Ike being the lead from the start". Not that Ike would take over Miaciah's spot in the exact same role. To have the game be about him again from the start. Not necessarily as a 1:1 to what RD currently is. If they wanted Ike to be lead again, then might as well have it done it all game long. Even if the plot had to be different.

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

except him losing some of his stronger mercenaries because they couldn't trust a 'Brat' to lead them

Spoiler

Well, he didn't asked for that one, so in this case it would be unfair to hold it out against him.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I can kinda understand Benice as he didn't play FE9 first, but the whole Beorg/Laguz thing was very big in FE9 and we had to see them working together in FE10.

I agree, a lot of the context for laguz-beorc relations after the Mad King's War is lost when you go straight to Radiant Dawn without playing Path of Radiance first.

Edited by twilitfalchion

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

You say he replaced him, but I see it as more them working side-by-side because they need each other to win. Beorc need the laguz's strength and laguz need the beorc strategies to win.

Skrimir's not even playable until part four, though. You play as Ike, and the storyline follows Ike. I don't mind Ike being in RD, but I don't like him being the main protagonist.

And Ike is Laguz's Ally.

Ally doesn't mean main protagonist-If Ike was overshadowed by Tanith in FE9 because Tanith is one of Ike's allies and the story follows how Tanith recieves Sanaki's orders and whatnot, then it wouldn't really be about Ike's battle.

I get that part, I don't understand why Ike needs to be the hero! I don't mind him being on the laguz side, but I very much do mind him stealing the spotlight from said Laguz in a conflict about said Laguz. I think that it should have centered on Skrimir, and Ike could have been a major character, but instead it's reversed and we play as Ike while Skrimir plays the advisor role. Ike did not need to be the protagonist of Part three.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Skrimir's not even playable until part four, though. You play as Ike, and the storyline follows Ike.

Not really. The storyline follows both Skrimir and Ike at the same time in Part 3. Look at the several scenes where Ranulf and Skrimir meet and converse with the Greil Mercs. They're both involved equally. And the laguz are allied units in some chapters as well.

As a side note, I find it ironic how Part 3 is all about this Laguz-Beorc war... but you don't even get playable Laguz until 3-4. You're playable army is exclusively Beorc before then. Then you can't use the Laguz in 3-5 anyway.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

he was already sidelined by not appearing in Parts 1 and 2 until the very end of the latter anyway

No?

Or does any story with multipe PoVs sidleline characters for you?

Each Part in the Story has it's own purpose, and the characters they follow.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's my point of "Ike being the lead from the start". Not that Ike would take over Miaciah's spot in the exact same role. To have the game be about him again from the start. Not necessarily as a 1:1 to what RD currently is.

I wouldn't have liked RD even half as much if we only followed 1 party all way through.

So why Skrimir can't have that same courtesy?

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think that it should have centered on Skrimir

Because of game scope, i guess. Trying to develop another character from the scratch.

And he would've replaced Ike, which means heavily sidelining Protags from former game

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

I don't understand why Ike needs to be the hero!

• Former Protag
  • Laguz Ally and race relations
  • and most importantly: A foil to Miccy's embodiment of 'Order'. I said it before, and i say it again, but Chaos vs. Order is RD's main theme. Skirmir wouldn't have been able to embody Chaos like Ike did. 
2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Not really. The storyline follows both Skrimir and Ike at the same time in Part 3. Look at the several scenes where Ranulf and Skrimir meet and converse with the Greil Mercs. They're both involved equally. And the laguz are allied units in some chapters as well.

Laguz get most of the animated stuff as well iirc

Laguz get most of the animated stuff as well iirc

They certainly have the spotlight in the biggest animated scene in the game: the river battle, where the Greil Mercs are relegated to doing behind the scenes work (in this case burning the enemy supply camp).
In general, it is repeatedly shown that all the Greil Mercs are doing for a large portion of Part 3 is supporting work like this, while the main brunt of the war is fought by Skrimir and the other laguz.

Edited by DragonFlames

• Former Protag
  • Laguz Ally and race relations

This is why RD really needs to be played after PoR. Some or most things just won't make sense without understanding the context of the previous game.

No?

Or does any story with multipe PoVs sidleline characters for you?

Each Part in the Story has it's own purpose, and the characters they follow.

The moment the PoV changes, sidelining happens. It's in the very definition of the word:

"remove from the center of activity or attention"

Even if the spotlight is shared, sidelining happens, unless they were all under the spotlight at the same time.

This technically doesn't apply during Part 1 because it's our opening PoV. But Part 2 sidelines Daine by changing the spotlight to Crimea. Then Part 3 sidelines Crimea by changing the spotlight to the Laguz. So yes, it's sidelining. It's not always negative, however.

I wouldn't have liked RD even half as much if we only followed 1 party all way through.

So you dislike that in practically every other FE, for sticking to just one party? Honest curiosity.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Because of game scope, i guess. Trying to develop another character from the scratch.

And he would've replaced Ike, which means heavily sidelining Protags from former game

No issues with Micaiah there. Otherwise Sothe would be the Lord.

No need to replace. Heck, forget the Hector and Eliwood comparison. Why Ike couldn't be the Sothe to Skirmir's Micaiah? Do you see Sothe sidelined?

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

They certainly have the spotlight in the biggest animated scene in the game: the river battle, where the Greil Mercs are relegated to doing behind the scenes stuff (in this case burning the enemy supply camp).
In general, it is repeatedly shown that all the Greil Mercs are doing for a large portion of Part 3 is supporting work like this, while the main brunt of the war is fought by Skrimir and the other laguz.

So then why the game couldn't be more about the brunt of the war, instead of mainly following the support exploits of the mercs?

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So then why the game couldn't be more about the brunt of the war, instead of mainly following the support exploits of the mercs?

To give the player some characters they would be familiar with instead of throwing even more new characters their way? It's one thing to introduce more new characters in an unrelated game, but a sequel needs to tie back to its predecessor in some way, and the presence of the Greil Mercs does that.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In addition to what twilitfalchion said, I'm not sure a part of the gameplay that has you using nothing but laguz (which would be the logical consequence of this) would go over well, considering their rather odd transformation mechanic, which leaves them as sitting ducks the moment they go back to human form.
That would make Part 3 a vertiable nightmare to play through.

Today has been the first day after more than a week I was able to play (serious) videogames.

Completed Futaba's dungeon in Persona 5 Royal and completed chapter 4 in Tokyo Xanadu.

Having that many long brakes in latter is really bad because I forgot the controls all the time.

Must relearn this game over and over again.

LPQf9Ba.png?1

McBurn has a hidden twin.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So you dislike that in practically every other FE, for sticking to just one party? Honest curiosity

yes.

I said it before, but i don't want any other Solo lead/party FE again. I have no problems with one route, but give us multipe PoVs like RD or Echoes.

It's one Reason why i love RD so much, showing the war from multipe sides and not just ''haha other side bad have bad dragon Good party goo brrrrr''. It's why i dislike the majority of FE stories. Even FE4 falls into that trap once Gen 2 rolls around

Even if i have my problems with Miccy, i never want her gone. She represents her theme 'Order' very well and i wouldn't have it any other way.

I really should've written that planned essay that goes against both Anti-Ike and Anti-Miccy peeps

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

To give the player some characters they would be familiar with instead of throwing even more new characters their way? It's one thing to introduce more new characters in an unrelated game, but a sequel needs to tie back to its predecessor in some way, and the presence of the Greil Mercs does that.

This.

And more new characters = more characters to develop. Dawn Brigade is already underdeveloped as is. Imagine if they tried to add even another group to develop.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

In addition to what twilitfalchion said, I'm not sure a part of the gameplay that has you using nothing but laguz (which would be the logical consequence of this) would go over well, considering their rather odd transformation mechanic, which leaves them as sitting ducks the moment they go back to human form.
That would make Part 3 a vertiable nightmare to play through.

Not to mention maps would've been FE4 like then

Y I K E S

Edited by Shrimperor