T H E

S K I E S

F E E L

T H E S T I N G

O F

THE S W O R D M A S T E R ' S

B L A D E!

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

though they tend to be mercenaries rather than proper lords, because everyone loves Ike, right? It really is quite ironic how the "rough mercenary protagonist" became the Marth lord of hacks

ikr. Like, the number of hacks with non swordie lords can be counted on one hand. From memory: Midnight sun (Dark Mage lord) and Broken Legacy (Lance + Staff lord). You could make cases for other hacks (SGW, VQ, etc) but they also start with swordies first...

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hugh on bad unit feel.

I would but every Elibe unit on bad unit feel because i see em all as boring to use. Most of FE8 as well except for like, Myrrh, maybe.

26 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Sylvis feels so good to use with all those fun skills of her's, as well as the general flexibility of bows.

I do like Faye for similar reason. With her massive weapon skill, she can use the game's large assortment of swords and greatswords extremely effectively. And of course command skill Astra never gets old.

on the other hand i think i will put many or even most of Berwick's in top unit Feel. Unit design is really 👌 in Berwick.

9 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This has been a really sad day. My dog died, she was old, older than the high mark of life expectancy for her breed, and her health was failing, but she still had that Chow stubbornness to her all the way to the end, and damned if she didn't keep finding moments to show off her goofy happiness despite the hardships. It feels so inevitable and sudden all at once, and there is this strange regrets on both sides, that I could have spared her the pain that made such piteous sounds if we had taken the writing on the walls earlier, despite her attitude, or on the other that we didn't give her the chance to stubbornly fight on anyway. Its strange that I keep thinking of this song for her, but despite the meaning it just makes me cry anyway.

I am sorry for your loss, Eltosian.

• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

47 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

T H I S

D I V I N E

L I G H T N I N G

S H A L L

P I E R C E

T H E

S K I E S

...How I react to most FE hacks (and fanfics in general):

17 hours ago, Wraith said:

...It existed, once Draggy. A great evil that lived on the Wii U. It spat it’s venom on the innocent and sang it’s blasphemy under the shadowy firmament of night. While it was slain we in our vanity didn’t drive a stake through it’s heart. Thus ere we knew what had happened it rose from his charnel house to haunt the Switch. Never again, never again...

Oh, that TMS thing, right?
Never really cared for that, in all honesty. I know some people here like it, but the whole idol theme is not my thing.

17 hours ago, Sooks said:

Isn’t Draggy the leader of the knights of teehee?

Wait, since when?

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Heir disputes are one of the most common forms of turmoil in kingdoms and empires, capable of breaking them apart and shattering golden ages with ease. It is odd then that Fire Emblem barely touches on them.

Final Fantasy Tactics tried an heir dispute, it didn't really work out well, crystals with magic creatures inside took over the story.

I remember Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume set up for its last full chapter an heir dispute that consisted of three contenders. The elder son of the king, who was illegitimate, and the younger son of the king, who was legitimate. Each prince drew on the support of a neighboring country, which might've been the reason why a prominent old man noble was concerned about the civil war- can't allow outsiders to have undue influence. The old man -a powerful margrave- proposed a more distant male relative so as to keep the half-brothers at peace, the relative was young, inexperienced and so unimportant the game never even bothered to show what he looked like. Who won? Well, it depends on which route you were on, but no matter what, the elder son was killed for some reason.

Thinking of IRL examples of inheritance disputes that I know of. The Holy Roman Empire had the Brother's Quarrel. Emperor Rudolf II had no sons, and was becoming increasingly unpopular towards the end of his reign, leading his brothers Matthias, Maximillian, Albert, and cousins Ferdinand and Leopold to contest his authority and try to claim the HRE title, which after all was elective. It wasn't a violent quarrel, just very intense.

Another interesting example of an heir dispute would come from the Frankish Empire. Louis the Pious, son of Charlemagne, had three sons, and as per Frankish tradition, he sought to give each of them a share of the empire while keeping the empire unified. It was difficult, but he managed to work out something they could all agree to. Then, Louis the Pious's wife dies, and he remarries. Although nearing 50, Louis the Pious had a fourth son, the future Charles the Bald, and now he tried to give him a share of the territory. The baby's adult half-brothers were like "Yeah, no. I ain't giving up anything to this drooling brat.". The last decade+ of Louis's reign became marked by several civil war by his sons, which he attempted to quell.

The Ottoman Empire is infamous for the form of inheritance it practiced. Whenever the sultan died, the country basically turned into a free-for-all amongst the sultan's sons, and whoever won murdered all his brothers. Later, this was deemed inhuman, so the sultan had his brothers locked up for instead. At that point, they swapped over to more peaceful inheritance going brother-by-brother according to age, then passing over the eldest brother's sons once the brothers were exhausts. Being locked up your entire life had negative repercussions on the mental stability of some of the men who became sultans when their brother died and they took the throne.

Adding to this, that which I would like to see added to a future Dynasty Warriors game: the very tumultuous time during and after the late stages of Sun Quan's reign. I believe there might be some interesting stories to be told there, too, as well as having the added benefits of adding two more historical female characters in the form of Sun Luyu and Sun Luban, instead of resorting to characters from what was essentially a very old example of fanfiction (Bao Sanniang) or giving a name and role to a person mentioned in exactly a single line in the original novel that inspired the series (Guan Yinping).

9 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This has been a really sad day. My dog died, she was old, older than the high mark of life expectancy for her breed, and her health was failing, but she still had that Chow stubbornness to her all the way to the end, and damned if she didn't keep finding moments to show off her goofy happiness despite the hardships. It feels so inevitable and sudden all at once, and there is this strange regrets on both sides, that I could have spared her the pain that made such piteous sounds if we had taken the writing on the walls earlier, despite her attitude, or on the other that we didn't give her the chance to stubbornly fight on anyway. Its strange that I keep thinking of this song for her, but despite the meaning it just makes me cry anyway.

My sincerest condolences for your loss, Eltosian.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh, that TMS thing, right?
Never really cared for that, in all honesty. I know some people here like it, but the whole idol theme is not my thing.

Salvation for the wayward soul...

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Salvation for the wayward soul...

If I want to play SMT, I'll fire up my 3DS and play SMTIV, or any of the Devil Survivors.
Or I'll play a Persona game. And if I want to play FE, I'll play FE.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

If I want to play SMT, I'll fire up my 3DS and play SMTIV, or any of the Devil Survivors.
Or I'll play a Persona game. And if I want to play FE, I'll play FE.

...Deliverance, the holy succor...

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wraith doesn't like TMS#FE *gasp*!

Evil never sleeps lightcosmo, even if it’s put down. It festers like cancer and rots the soul from the inside out.

It's not like I don't understand Wraith's dislike for TMS, or Ruben's vendetta against Three Houses.
After all, I have one such Fire Emblem-related game of my own.

And in the case of Shrimpy's dislike of modern Trails, I can understand that, as well.
Seeing how I am a dropout of the Pokémon series, myself.

---

And yeah, I don't follow it too closely, but the stuff you hear about idol culture and what it does to people is... not pleasant, to say the least.

Edited by DragonFlames

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah Idol culture can be bleh

TRIGGER WARNING! Not for the faint of heart!

Reveal hidden contents

21.png?v222.png?v2

I'm a little confused about how this person was involved in that sector it based on what I read there, with what she worked in reading akin to WWE at first glance.

Surprised at what happened? No. The distancing of reality in those kinda of shows absolutely is not made clear enough with how it quickly degenerated into a travesty.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Out of curiosity, how far back?

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yeah i almost went into one of my old rants again yesterday

Oh, er, sorry for bringing back painful memories.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Out of curiosity, how far back?

Interest in the series dropped off for me around the time of Gen IV (the spin-offs kept me going, though), and I completely dropped out during Gen VI.

Oh, er, sorry for bringing back painful memories

nah, don't. It's not you, you weren't even there xD

That, and i brought it to myself considering i just got the whole subforum into Trails last week lol

Just now, Shrimperor said:

nah, don't. It's not you, you weren't even there xD

Oh, okay!

Just now, Shrimperor said:

That, and i brought it to myself considering i just got the whole subforum into Trails last week lol

Hard to argue with that, haha

16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Evil never sleeps lightcosmo, even if it’s put down. It festers like cancer and rots the soul from the inside out.

Whoa... harsh criticism. But okay, i'll bite, why do you feel that way?

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It's not like I don't understand Wraith's dislike for TMS, or Ruben's vendetta against Three Houses.
After all, I have one such Fire Emblem-related game of my own.

And in the case of Shrimpy's dislike of modern Trails, I can understand that, as well.

---

And yeah, I don't follow it too closely, but the stuff you hear about idol culture and what it does to people is... not pleasant, to say the least.

Oh i wasn't judging, just goofing off really. XD

Everyone's free to dislike a game.

I figured you were!
Just wanted to add my two cents, too!

Ah, gotcha. 

I mean tbh i think that TMS is only alright at best so who am i to say? XD It's got one of the most repetitive/boring battle systems i've ever played, if that's anything.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Ah, gotcha. 

I mean tbh i think that TMS is only alright at best so who am i to say? XD It's got one of the most repetitive/boring battle systems i've ever played, if that's anything.

And I've never played it, haha
So I can't judge one way or the other.

And I've never played it, haha
So I can't judge one way or the other.

I just think it's too "meh" in alot of areas that it needed... not to be meh in, lmao.

Ofc the battle system being boring is the worst offender cause that's a big reason why i'm playing?

It's basically you using the same 5 options of attack the entire game on a repetitive basis cause the way it's setup, you have no choices. 

And... that's pretty much it, really.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

I just think it's too "meh" in alot of areas that it needed... not to be meh in, lmao.

Ofc the battle system being boring is the worst offender cause that's a big reason why i'm playing?

I see!
Yeah, can't disagree with you on that one.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

It's basically you using the same 5 options of attack the entire game on a repetitive basis cause the way it's setup, you have no choices. 

And... that's pretty much it, really.

Oof

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Losing a pet is never easy. My condolences, Eltosian.

Thank you Saint Rubenio

22 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Dogs become more than just a companion when you're with them for long enough. And every day when you are with them feels special, and you should treasure those feelings and memories that you shared together. 

Also, i'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you LightCosmo, she was with me for so long, and I want to treasure the memory of our time together, but the grief is still a little too fresh for me to really focus on that.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I am sorry for your loss, Eltosian.

Thank you Shrimperor

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

My sincerest condolences for your loss, Eltosian.

Thank you Dragon Flames

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I see!
Yeah, can't disagree with you on that one.

Oof

Well that's just me though, others might disagree.

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Thank you LightCosmo, she was with me for so long, and I want to treasure the memory of our time together, but the grief is still a little too fresh for me to really focus on that.

That just shows how much you loved her.