Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

21 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Does the game really let you pick and choose your party like that from the get-go?

Iirc you can choose your party (once you unlock the party members ofc). And with Boss rush you can choose to go ''1 people mode''.

Although it's impossible to go 1 player mode in first run due attack effectiveness and what not. That changes upon NG+ tho.

@Armagon

z4jK5U9.png

here's my current times from boss rush (standard/team mode) on Nightmare. I posted my solo times a while back.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd personally make it a half-point deduction if I were to lower the grade over it.

well, it's that coupled with a final boss fight i didn't enjoy + a very weak final boss track, so a full point is fair in that case, i think.

Spoiler

One goddess has been proven to be real

well...

Spoilers for pretty much the whole series

Spoiler

The ''gods'' that have been shown from the start of the series, the Eldeen, have been getting more ''fake'' by each game, as we understand where their powers and knowledge come from. Ys 7 then introduced Tritheism, which Maia is one of. One of the other two is is majorily hinted at in Ys 7. So Ys 8 didn't do anything wrong lore wise, just continuing with the series general direction.

Spoiler

What would you go with?

Spoiler

Living in the modern World and exploring it, because iirc she always a curious soul. She deserves some happiness in her life, and not everything she loved getting retconned out of existence.

Well, and if they wanted to explain her not being with Adol in the games later in the timeline (Ys 6 and 7 both happen later in time timeline), just pull a ''she wanted to see the world for herself'' thing before she unites with him later on.

Girl deserves all the happiness in the world, and not her current fate ;_;

And even Adol deserves some happiness after all he went through and not just

ys8_2018-08-28_03-57-03-91.jpg

losing another girl

Edited by Shrimperor

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Facts.

That's why I've got to stop hanging around so much. I'm not positive enough.

Bah. You and Draggy are always apologizing even though you're basically the least negative people in this thread.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

please do^^

Hmm... Well, in no particular order and going by genre, but not every genre because... I don't know, bear with me, this is the best system I could come up with:

2D Platformer: Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. I can't really explain why I'm so fond of this one, I just love it. I love the weapon system, the difficulty, the bosses, the story, the controls, the sidequests... It's great, really fucking great.

3D Platformer: Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. I'll fully admit childhood bias is a factor here. I just love this game. It has just the right amount of jank to be goofy fun, and the brawling system is legit the most fun one I've seen in any videogame. Nothing compares. I wish the AI opponents were just a tiny bit smarter, but fuck me if it isn't a blast to toss them all over the place.

JRPG: Omori. I've said it a million times, I don't think I need to say this again.

Strategy: Berwick Saga. We all knew this was going to be here.

First-Person Shooter: Team Fortress 2. One of the most important games of my life, the greatest multiplayer game I've ever played, and really, just a super solidly made multiplayer that's stood the test of time in flying colors.

Puzzle(?): Return of the Obra Dinn. I've said it before, this is one of the very few games I've seen where the story is told through the gameplay, as opposed to being tacked on top of it. Had me thinking about it while driving to class, in class and while driving back to class, just coming up for ideas and solutions to the mysteries that I could later check out when I got to play. It was a great week.

Stealth: Dishonored 2. Though I like it for basically everything that isn't the stealth lol

Roguelike: Faster Than Light. Basically the game that modernized the genre, still one of its absolute best games to this day. It taught me some of my English and that giant alien spiders are no joke. Love it.

Adventure game: The Deed and its sequels. Here's one that I'll bet none of you have heard about. These are short little games made on RPGMaker by one person that I found one day on Steam. They were cheap and the premise intrigued me, so I picked them up. The premise for all the games is simple enough: You must find a way to commit a murder and get away with it, be it by framing it on somebody else, making it look like a suicide or just making it impossible to solve the case. A bit of a macabre premise, I know, but it makes for quite the unique games. The first one is easy and barebones (evidently, since it was just the first attempt), but its sequels, Dynasty and 2, are a lot more complex and require some thinking, with 2 being the most refined and Dynasty being the most full of content. They were interesting experiences, and I still remember them fondly as an example that, sometimes, you can find real gems among what looks like mere shovelware.

Actually, I am now reminded I wrote a Steam review for the second game. I don't usually write reviews on Steam, but this one had so little, I just had to throw 'em a bone. The games are similar in gameplay and disconnected in plot, so you can take this as a valid review for the entire series, though it focuses mostly on 2. Check it out if you care.

Yeah, I think that's a good list. It leaves out a lot of games that I love a ton, but that are just slightly less impactful and thus are left out. FEels a bit unfair, but well, I couldn't just keep going forever with this list. Games like Banner Saga, Live-a-live, Rogue Legacy, Mother 3, the first Dishonored, Into the Breach, Steamworld Heist, Papers Please, all of Fire Emblem, all the Luigi's Mansions, and probably more that I'm forgetting right now. There's a lot of games I love.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

22 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

z4jK5U9.png

here's my current times from boss rush (standard/team mode) on Nightmare. I posted my solo times a while back.

Damn bro, you beat a boss in eight seconds.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

2D Platformer: Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. I can't really explain why I'm so fond of this one, I just love it. I love the weapon system, the difficulty, the bosses, the story, the controls, the sidequests... It's great, really fucking great.

Sounds like you might enjoy Bloodstained then. Well Bloodstained doesn't have sidequests (I mean it does but nothing worthwhile).

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Damn bro, you beat a boss in eight seconds

tbf Boss rush allows you to take any skills you want, and early bosses are not balanced around you having mid-late game skills xD

So they die when you look at them haha

My times from Solo Adol Boss rush
L9oqwwj.png

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia.

for some reason i never took you as a Castlevania guy xD

And yeah Bloodstained is good

JRPG: Omori. I've said it a million times, I don't think I need to say this again.

Strategy: Berwick Saga. We all knew this was going to be here.

First-Person Shooter: Team Fortress 2. One of the most important games of my life, the greatest multiplayer game I've ever played, and really, just a super solidly made multiplayer that's stood the test of time in flying colors.

no surprises here

Here's one that I'll bet none of you have heard about.

you're right

Edited by Shrimperor

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sounds like you might enjoy Bloodstained then. Well Bloodstained doesn't have sidequests (I mean it does but nothing worthwhile).

Duly noted. I mean, the sidequests aren't why I love Ecclesia, I just like them there is all.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

for some reason i never took you as a Castlevania guy xD

Probably because I'm not. The only other Castlevanias I've played are 4 and Dawn of Sorrow, and neither are half as enjoyable for me.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

you're right

These games got hopelessly lost among the waves of shovelware in Steam. Being a no-budget RPGMaker game will do that to you. But they're super good nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

These games got hopelessly lost among the waves of shovelware in Steam. Being a no-budget RPGMaker game will do that to you. But they're super good nonetheless.

oh yeah i know that feeling. I got a couple games in that category as well

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hmm... Well, in no particular order and going by genre, but not every genre because... I don't know, bear with me, this is the best system I could come up with:

I like that. Keeps things varied.

I mean, my top 10 is mostly RPGs, lol.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Here's one that I'll bet none of you have heard about

I'm not surprised I haven't. I've never been a PC gamer on top of how it already sounds like they're rather obscure.

Glad to hear you found some gems.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

854002409810427936.png?v=1

Interesting music ya got there.

I have 30 minutes to do and deliver an assignment.

Good Morning.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

wut

NrkUkL3.png

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

i thought he was a Sabercon not a lolicon

He's a meidocon. The saberface syndrome is unrelated.

8 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

I have 30 minutes to do and deliver an assignment.

Good Morning.

Good luck and good morning!

Edited by Sooks

Since you were talking about favorite games, here are mine (or an old version of them).

https://i.imgur.com/fAACjtf.jpg

37 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Good luck and good morning!

27 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Best of luck to ya.

And good morning.

28 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

ganbatte!

Thanks. Fortunately, everything went well.

28 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

...why didn't he write them in FSN then xD

Because Fate/Stay Night is a horribly rushed project with multiples ideas and storylines cut thanks to a idiotic self-imposed deadline which had a negative impact on the final product.

Also, I need the Geofront translation patches. Fast.

Edited by Maof06

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

well...

Spoilers for pretty much the whole series

Yeah, not gonna click on that in case I play pre-VIII Ys.😆

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Curious what you mean by this? You think ARPGs should be shorter in length?

I can't remember exactly what I was expecting or felt, but usually, don't Action RPGs tend to be shorter? I think I thought the game would be about 30hrs, turned out to be *pops the game into my Switch for the first time in forever* exactly 60. 60 I'd assume of typical full-length JRPGs, but ARPGs usually don't emphasize the story as much, or have as much "filler". I don't quite understand how Ys got to 60 either. I can think of things I'd consider cutting, but then I tell myself not to, because everything does seem to have some sort of purpose.

Considering my gaming load is heavy with long JRPGs and the occasional SRPG like Fire Emblem, ARPGs being shorter is to my personal benefit. I did want at the time I played Ys VIII an ARPG that provided refreshing action-packed brevity, I had finished TearRing Saga and was going to move on afterwards to 3H looking at my posts here on SF. Ys VIII defied my expectations, which wasn't a terrible thing.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Bloodstained is by the same Iga. 

s-l500.jpg

Shanoa is Miriel's black & long-haired immediate predecessor. No "Shards", "Glyphs" instead, which are mostly less grindy to get, to their benefit. OoE has a lot less exploration than Ritual of the Night however.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Bloodstained is by the same Iga. 

s-l500.jpg

Shanoa is Miriel's black & long-haired immediate predecessor. No "Shards", "Glyphs" instead, which are mostly less grindy to get, to their benefit. OoE has a lot less exploration than Ritual of the Night however.

Okay, that sounds like I might absolutely love it. Just tell me that there's a couple of bosses on the same level of amazingness as Albus and the one after, and I'll be sold.

Well, I'm sold. I'm getting Bloodstained in this summer sale.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Sorry about yesterday, with the Trails stuff.

When will you learn, Draggy? You're the least negative person here! There's no need to apologize.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ayo enjoy!~

852201351244021770.png?v=1

I may be joining you in that soon enough.

Thanks! ^^

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

When will you learn, Draggy? You're the least negative person here! There's no need to apologize.

Nah, I think I was being unfair, so I do want to apologize for at least that.
Also, least negative is a teensy bit of a stretch, don't you think? xD
Thanks, though! ^^

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

5eivm0.jpg

Alright, alright, I get it. XD

---

Also
auYP7rn.jpg

Tutorial boss time!
On my first attempt, I lost to this thing, like, three times. xD

Also, the game plays almost exactly like Nights of Azure. Sure, some differences here and there, but... holy crap, why was I so bad at this? XD
Beat it first try this time. As back then, on Normal difficulty.

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Sorry about yesterday, with the Trails stuff.

M8, you need to stop apologizing for your opinion.

It's not like you attacked my person or something

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Draggy goes Ys 8!

Ayy enjoy!

Also the game is up to date, right? You don't want to get hit by the old translation like "Big Hole"