• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Time is fluid here.

I wish I could say it was due to delirium from the illness, but I thought that for years.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

The one that ruined many jrpg series: P3

How?

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Bespoke: Play Megami Tensei.

But then he would skip the best one

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Video Game 1999) - IMDb

4 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

The one that ruined many jrpg series: P3

The one people love: P4

The one normies think is a jrpg for non weebs: P5

Jwjidgd0 o

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I wish I could say it was due to delirium from the illness, but I thought that for years.

It's okay, it happens all the time.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

How?

He's still malding over Cold Steel.

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not that it matters for OGverse, since Alfimi recreated her body anyway, so... uh, she probably is anatomically correct now if she wasn't before.

I was referring to their lack of a male counterpart, not Alfimi herself.😆 It takes two to create a pure lifeform worthy being called Zukunft! And the other problem with that plan is that humans admit they aren't the best choice for such a project.

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yep. And usually it is the reals who mostly get the the barrier abilities. Since it's them who need them most and have them in their source works to begin with.

From my limited experience, I dunno about that.

If Reals can be expected to dodge frequently enough, the barrier isn't doing a lot of a good, unless it is what makes a fatal hit survivable. Which is admittedly a good thing. Supers might run into chronic En-consumption issues faster with a barrier, but that is precisely because they are going to be hit a lot and thus have a lot of incoming damage a barrier can negate. (You also could make the argument that a rare Hyperjammer is best given to a Super because it ups their dodge rate from 0 to 50% of the time, the biggest increase there is.)

-Either OGs was biased towards dodging, or anti-tanking. Since it was too easy to hit near or at 0% hit rates from enemies, and even something bulky like Giganscudo took too much pain without Guard applied first. I would loved it if the Grungust had had an E Field, would've done wonders for its tanking (helps the Big Missile and Omega Cannon it enemy phases with are ammo-based). 

9 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Broke: Playing the PSP version

Woke: Playing the original PSX release

I'd rather lick Igor's nostrils clean, that localization abomination is infamous and the best-known thing about the original Persona for a reason. It has little else worth of being noted going for it, as little has held up well.

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

The funeral happened yesterday.

Ended up developing a cold in the cemetery, definitely shed some tears in the morning and I was out into the late hours. I would have headed back sooner but by the time it was actually dark (which is pretty late this time of year) I was done for the night and had to wait another 2 hours to sleep.

My condolences, once more.

But that besides, the sheer amount of people who turned up these last few days, it was a sight to see considering it's a rural area. People forming honour guards and all, I bet she'd have been happy about that.

In my experience, funerals tend to be where families at large gather and see each other. Often you'll see people there that you'd never see otherwise. Sad, but it is what it is.

9 hours ago, Julizan said:

Besides that I started to get into drawing.

Oh, that's awesome! How's that coming along? Anything you'd consider share-worthy yet?

5 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

School bullshit popularity exploded after it and many just wanted to become the next Persona

You mean I can blame it for Three Houses!?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd rather lick Igor's nostrils clean

You know, that's not a sentence I figured I'd read when I got up this morning.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From my limited experience, I dunno about that.

If Reals can be expected to dodge frequently enough, the barrier isn't doing a lot of a good, unless it is what makes a fatal hit survivable. Which is admittedly a good thing. Supers might run into chronic En-consumption issues faster with a barrier, but that is precisely because they are going to be hit a lot and thus have a lot of incoming damage a barrier can negate. (You also could make the argument that a rare Hyperjammer is best given to a Super because it ups their dodge rate from 0 to 50% of the time, the biggest increase there is.)

-Either OGs was biased towards dodging, or anti-tanking. Since it was too easy to hit near or at 0% hit rates from enemies, and even something bulky like Giganscudo took too much pain without Guard applied first. I would loved it if the Grungust had had an E Field, would've done wonders for its tanking (helps the Big Missile and Omega Cannon it enemy phases with are ammo-based). 

It'd be the idea at least.

Perhaps it is more an OGverse thing. Some games do employ "evasion decay" where dodging several times in a row reduces the Evasion rate for that turn. Getting constant 0% Hit on you isn't something that happens all the time either, so...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, Dayni said:

The funeral happened yesterday.

Ended up developing a cold in the cemetery, definitely shed some tears in the morning and I was out into the late hours. I would have headed back sooner but by the time it was actually dark (which is pretty late this time of year) I was done for the night and had to wait another 2 hours to sleep.

But that besides, the sheer amount of people who turned up these last few days, it was a sight to see considering it's a rural area. People forming honour guards and all, I bet she'd have been happy about that.

I may or may not butcher this

Suaimhneas síoraí

Eternal peace be to her and your family. Thank you for sharing the story with us.

Thank you for a great counter to "tHe RaInBoW bElOnGs To GoD!

Heh, don't tell those folks about the Rainbow Serpent of the Aboriginals, they'd go mad.

Somewhat?

I can forgive ignorance which is where most of these myths come from, so it is only somewhat racist, like how many people subconsciously assume Africa doesn't have any cities.

At least the folks I've talked to who put stock into these myths were never blatantly racist (My own mother being one for a little while)

Actually hey, that reminds me of this great meme

ljyej2aupxd21.jpg.72be375a790e81f1c1fc595d19c01d40.jpg

Though I will say it's one of the more annoying questions to answer when people ask me about Indigenous history.

I prefer the world ending in 2012, that one's a fun one.

Oh yeah, those were fun times.

Specially in FE4Thread since the thread's anniversary is on the date. Truly the sign Genealogy could cause the end of the world...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

30 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

But then he would skip the best one

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Video Game 1999) - IMDb

You don't have to say this because of me! I have praised P2 several times in this topic and did use Apollo as my avi for a while. And yes, I would like a fully modernized loving remake of it, as unlikely as that is. Yet, I do not consider Persona 2 a perfect game. My core assertion is that while the gameplay suffers from age (less so than P1, but still enough to avoid suggesting it to anyone), the story and characters are fundamentally solid and haven't fared too poorly with age, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Perhaps it is more an OGverse thing. Some games do employ "evasion decay" where dodging several times in a row reduces the Evasion rate for that turn.

I've heard of and am interested in this mechanic, hopefully it's good as a balancing tool.

26 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Getting constant 0% Hit on you isn't something that happens all the time either, so...

True. Some of the least fun/most hectic missions in OGs were where I was forced deployed with some new units with no upgrades that were clearly meant to dodge, but faced ~50% hit rates.😬 It's after I dumped a load of cash into the units that the near-0% broken rates came about. SP Regenerate for Focus spam every turn too.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, that's not a sentence I figured I'd read when I got up this morning.

I was considering other things up the schnoz, but thankfully, an online message board means I can be slow with my writing and take the time to think out and moderate my thoughts.☺️

Discord, Zoom, or IRL conversation, maybe I would've said the other thing. -My apologies to Philemon's servant with a great proboscis.

23 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Heh, don't tell those folks about the Rainbow Serpent of the Aboriginals, they'd go mad.

image.png

Shin Megami Tensei's take on the deity. Fairly simple.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Anyway, I believe I may have time for chapter 21 tonight. That'll leave three more chapters to go. How sad. This has been a really strong Kaga game.

29 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

yes

...I'm still going to hate Three Houses instead, if you don't mind.

27 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I can forgive ignorance which is where most of these myths come from, so it is only somewhat racist, like how many people subconsciously assume Africa doesn't have any cities.

Never forget, the war in Ukraine is the first war in modern times to have occurred between civilized countries.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This has been a really strong Kaga game.

between FE2 and Berwick, where would you put it?

Never forget, the war in Ukraine is the first war in modern times to have occurred between civilized countries.

Can never stop being racist shitheads.

Edited by Shrimpolaris

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Never forget, the war in Ukraine is the first war in modern times to have occurred between civilized countries.

> Russia on one side

> Between civilized countries

Pick one.

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

between FE2 and Berwick, where would you put it?

I think I'm going to agree with @Spara's opinion here: Second place. It's not Berwick, but it beats everything else by Kaga, by virtue of having far fewer flaws and having a massive shitton of fun insanity to go around. Certainly whoops VS1's more mundane behind to Mars and back.

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

Can never stop being racist shitheads.

You said it.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

> Russia on one side

> Between civilized countries

Pick one.

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Also Syria had a higher living standard than Ukraine before the civil war

Turns out being closer to what we call "the good countries" doesn't mean anything.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Second place. It's not Berwick, but it beats everything else by Kaga, by virtue of having far fewer flaws and having a massive shitton of fun insanity to go around. Certainly whoops VS1's more mundane behind to Mars and back

oh wow. Glad to hear that - especially since i thought VS1 was one of the weaker (and sometimes really annoying) Kaga titles.

Then again the 7 chapters i played back then do blow almost everything VS1 out of the water.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Turns out being closer to what we call "the good countries" doesn't mean anything.

The only thing "we" have might be ideals....that aren't followed most of the time lol

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd rather lick Igor's nostrils clean, that localization abomination is infamous and the best-known thing about the original Persona for a reason. It has little else worth of being noted going for it, as little has held up well.

If you don't play the original shitty version, you are not a true fan /s

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You don't have to say this because of me! I have praised P2 several times in this topic and did use Apollo as my avi for a while. And yes, I would like a fully modernized loving remake of it, as unlikely as that is. Yet, I do not consider Persona 2 a perfect game. My core assertion is that while the gameplay suffers from age (less so than P1, but still enough to avoid suggesting it to anyone), the story and characters are fundamentally solid and haven't fared too poorly with age, in my opinion.

But I am not saying this because you like it

the source of miracles — what do you think eren means when he says...

That being said, even though Persona 2 is piss poor easy, it still has a better gameplay than Persona 3 FES thanks to beign actually fun to play through, and not a chore 🙂

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

>slavs

>civilized

Edited by Newtype06

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

image.png

Shin Megami Tensei's take on the deity. Fairly simple.

What, is that a gummy worm?

SMT really sounds like a mythologist's dream game.

Legendary Creatures of Australian Myth and Folklore | hubpages

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Civilized? Europe's the most racist continent there is! And I don't mean in a "White people racist against non-white people" way, I mean in a "Every country fucking hates each other" way

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In my experience, funerals tend to be where families at large gather and see each other. Often you'll see people there that you'd never see otherwise. Sad, but it is what it is.

I'm on about beyond extended relatives, the amount of people who came to offer condolences was massive for it being as rural as it was.

But yeah, haven't seen some of these relatives in a long while either. Not many of the Americans flew over though, mostly because it'd be difficult to do so so quickly.

She herself called it out a bit near the end how some of my relatives didn't make much of an effort to come up (despite how busy their lives may have been) when she was well, which sounded a little funny hearing it from them admittedly but she wasn't in a great frame of mind (I know she was in pain at the time) when she said it, she had it pretty rough near the end and I got told often enough it was for the best I missed seeing her like that.

I'll never know if that's the case.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My condolences, once more.

Thank you, sorry for the spiel.

58 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I may or may not butcher this

Suaimhneas síoraí

Eternal peace be to her and your family. Thank you for sharing the story with us.

Thank you for that.

Edited by Dayni

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking of, should I start with P3P, P4G or P5R?

That is a hard question to answer. While they take place in the same universe, they aren't so strongly tied to each other that you will miss out on more than a cute reference or two if you don't play them in order, so you could play them in any order really. Personally my favorite of the three is P3P, but I think I will try describing their strengths, and weakness a little, and see how you feel about them

P3P was the PSP version of the game, which means it is by far the weakest visually, and simplified the daily overworld exploration to something more similar to a visual novel style. The dungeon (singular for this game, as Tartarus is a massive 200 something (I don't think it gets all the way to 300...) floor monster meant to be explored entire game through) is the weakest of the three games, but it also has the strongest story of the three, exploring the rather heavy theme of finding meaning in the world despite the inevitability of death. It was also the first game to use the Social Link/Confidant system, which makes it by far the most difficult to max out, and manage (for instance if you ignore one of your friends for a month or two before maxing them out, they can reverse on you, requiring extra time and effort to apologize to them, or if you are in the middle of dating one girl, and start dating another before maxing the first out...), and they awkwardly only allow the appropriately aged female Social Links to develop into dating, with no platonic alternative (which the other two have). It also simultaneously has the best, and worst Social Links in the entire series (and they are fittingly the Sun and Moon Arcana). Another notable benefit to P3P is that it is the only one with the option for a female protagonist, with some alternative Social Links, and some minor changes to the story, and alternate music (although the game does emphasis that this is more of a bonus, with the Male version being the intended experience). I will also have three music tracks from each game, one with Lyrics, and one pure instrumental, and the most basic battle music from the game, as I know music is something that people tend to care about in video games (although for P3P I will be a bit lazy and just use the music for the Male Protagonist).

Spoiler

P4G was the Vita expanded version of P4, and of the three it plays most into this being a game about high school. It is also the game that most leaned into the Jungian psychology that was always underlying this series (I mean Persona, and the name of the enemies, Shadows are both major aspects of Jungian psychology...). The primary theme it explores is about the  difficulty of finding (and accepting) the truth in the face of easy and convenient lies. It does a better job with its dungeons than P3P does, although P5R had the best of them. P4G also made the Social Links a bit easier to manage, added platonic female ending to social links which would continue into P5), and even introduced additional gameplay benefits to building them up with your party. This is also the only one which notably touches on LGBT topics (really topics about teenagers exploring the idea of sexuality in general), which might make it a fitting game for pride month, although it did "make thing more subtle" for Western audience. This game also has the only instance where I regret spoiling myself about any media, and only much after the fact, as I realized that looking up how to avoid the bad endings deprived me the chance to experience the way the game embodies its theme most strongly in the gameplay.

Spoiler

I must warn ahead of time, that I have only really played the original P5, so I will more be speaking of that, and hoping it hasn't changed too much in the expanded version of P5R. P5 is by far the strongest game aesthetically. It is beautiful, especially in the menu and UI. It had the strongest dungeon designs, made the minor stealth elements of the earlier games much more central and expanded them, and added the best method for acquiring new Persona to your roster. It added additional gameplay benefits to all of its Confidants (which is what Social Links were renamed to for this game), and is by far the easiest game to max all the Confidant/Social Links in. Although I do feel it is the messiest thematically, exploring the idea of rebellion in the face of the horrors of the status quo.

Spoiler

Dudes, I got depressed enough reading the news for the first time in a while a few days ago. Can we please not go there? I'd rather see images of the tapeworm that got pulled out of the guy who unwisely douched using tap water while on vacation in Cancun.

4 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

That being said, even though Persona 2 is piss poor easy, it still has a better gameplay than Persona 3 FES thanks to beign actually fun to play through, and not a chore 🙂

How can P3 be worse?

Admittedly, the combat itself isn't that bad with P2. It is a tad a slow and unremarkable, if with the neat fusion spells mechanic, and emulation lets one get past the animation speeds. Not everyone cares about lacking dungeon design either. It is primarily that supremely horribly high encounter rate, which -if I could find a complete list of AR codes for the PSP version, would be readily fixable- that keeps me from suggesting it to people.

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

What, is that a gummy worm?

It's far from the weirdest or worse design IMO.

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

SMT really sounds like a mythologist's dream game.

I wouldn't exactly say that. Some mythologies do seem underrepresented, and the designs are sometimes a little off. Though the original mythos of various deities are touched once in a while, they could do more with that.

Even so, it has, superficially at least, introduced me to a lot of mythological entities.