• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

The funeral happened yesterday.

Ended up developing a cold in the cemetery, definitely shed some tears in the morning and I was out into the late hours. I would have headed back sooner but by the time it was actually dark (which is pretty late this time of year) I was done for the night and had to wait another 2 hours to sleep.

I hope you’re doing okay now, after all that.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

But that besides, the sheer amount of people who turned up these last few days, it was a sight to see considering it's a rural area. People forming honour guards and all, I bet she'd have been happy about that.

And it’s good that there was this, at least!

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

But that's a skill thing tho. 

Uh... Not really, its just timing, which is easy to learn.

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

As someone who almost 100%'d the game back then...

I wish that was the case, the special and hidden world levels were brutal and couldn't be easily fly skipped lol

Also that game was released like 32 years ago and they've nerfed flight heavily since then

But doesnt that just say alot about the mechanic at base?

Also, Mario the Lost Levels hard mode is trash level design.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I hope you’re doing okay now, after all that.

Sadly I'm probably going to be a fair bit sick tomorrow, I'm kinda out of it already and the symptoms started yesterday. If it's the same as my brother had it'll clear up soon enough.

I fucking hate winter. I fucking hate the cold.

15 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Impossible, they would never bring Cell back.

They did it

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

Counterpoint: Thanos is both the protagonist and the antagonist of Infinity War.

That's because the movie has other protagonists😜

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

How do you make a film as disjointed and it's somehow about something? That feels completely unrelated?

The premise of the film, as left by the previous one, was about a world in which dinosaurs would coexist with the current species and the impact of that. But the premise of this new one is about locusts genetically engineered to destroy crops that aren't owned by the company that created them.

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

Was there next to no footage of dinos that wasn't in the trailers then?

Yep.

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

Also, I think every movie has had more than two years before the next one off the top of my head, usually more.

Jurassic Park: 1993

The Lost World: 1997

Jurassic Park III: 2001

Jurassic World: 2015

Fallen Kingdom: 2018

Dominion: 2022

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

The funeral happened yesterday.

Ended up developing a cold in the cemetery, definitely shed some tears in the morning and I was out into the late hours. I would have headed back sooner but by the time it was actually dark (which is pretty late this time of year) I was done for the night and had to wait another 2 hours to sleep.

But that besides, the sheer amount of people who turned up these last few days, it was a sight to see considering it's a rural area. People forming honour guards and all, I bet she'd have been happy about that.

I'm glad it was a good service for her, at least. I hope you'll be OK in the coming time.

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

Jurassic Park III: 2001

I could swear that was years later, I remembered going to the cinema for that in 2005. That doesn't make sense.

Really.png.069d524055d01bc45043756e319c5038.png

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

I'm glad it was a good service for her, at least. I hope you'll be OK in the coming time.

It very much was a good service. I'm worried about her kids (They'd be my dad's generation) frankly, they've known her for many decades and this will impact them for some time yet.

Wrapped up the Aurora mode in Bloodstained this morning. I surprisingly managed to slay the final boss even, thanks to Igniculus's endless 50 HP heals whenever Aurora drops into critical HP territory. Overall it's alright, you're not as broken as when playing as Zangetsu, but stronger than Bloodless I'd say. Although, I simply don't understand why this last mode took so dang long to make. As a nitpick why do the familiars still have to level up? And the Light Ray ability should've been capable of aiming with the right control stick, which goes underused for the mode, as it's a tad awkward that the enemy has to be right in front of you to target them with it. Feels like this could've been fleshed out a little more for as long as it took to create, even if it's just a bonus mode.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_6872.png

Screenshot_6873.png

Given all the other Einsts are naked, it's a wonder that Alfimi wears anything at all. Feels like it's a "The Hulk's pants" situation.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

We could even do the different routes and see what the other is up to.

@Acacia Sgt did mention some time ago an early Earth or Space route split. A temporary one, as SRW often has it be.

Traditionally in SRW, Space -due to Gundam being spacey- tends to be heavier on the Real Robots. While Earth, being where Gundam -the quintessential Real Robot anime- is not sent, goes heavier on the Super Robots. -Again, as Acacia has described it before.

Since you've a preference for slimmer machines, maybe you go Space and I, Earth? I'm indecisive, so I'll let you make the decision first, what you choose.

Refresher on what Real Robot and Super Robot mean. If you want it.:

Spoiler
  • Real Robot-
    • Has the veneer of being more realistically feasible. (Even if mecha would be extremely impractical IRL no matter what.)
    • Tend to be smaller than Supers. Or at least never bigger than them.
    • Tend to use more conventional, practical, "realistic" weaponry. Laser rifles, missile launchers, and other forms of gunnery for instance.
    • Might utilize sci-fi technologies, but usually strays from anything too "magical".
    • XenoExamples- Basically all the Skells, even the Ares I'd say. The AWGS from what I've seen of them are Real too.
  • Super Robot-
    • More openly fantastical.
    • Tend to be bigger than Reals.
    • Often employ completely unrealistic weapons. Rocket fists, chest beams, giant swords, to name some.
    • Not infrequently resorts to more magical sources of energy and power.
    • XenoExamples- The Xenogears, G-Elements, I'd be inclined to say Yaldabaoth as well, even if I'd brand the Nemesis as Real. The Vita could be Super, since it needs this "Great One" to pilot it at full power (Supers are more likely to be "only one special person can harness this power") -if only we knew more about it!

The lines on what is Real and what is Super can be blurry.

• For instance, the Arcgain in Endless Frontier is a miniaturized version of what is definitely a Super Robot. The emphasis on martial arts seems to be the reason why, although it is also fairly tall despite being rather slim.
    • This would mean the Weltall, also a martial arts machine, should classify as a Super, despite being so small that it's definitely in the Real category on height by SRW standards.
  • The Gespenst might have a chest laser blaster, yet it is totally Real. It might have a sword, but, Reals are allowed a lithe little lightsaber for close range combat. It's a "bigass blade that could slice a battleship in two" that brings a sword-using robot into Super territory.
  • For Xenogears, the concept of the Omnigears -of robots fused with magical Anima Relics- comes off as being very Super. Even though most Gears feel ordinary enough that I would be inclined to call them Real. The nanotechnology of Crescens is within the boundaries of Real sci-fi tech I'd say. 

Super and Real are better seen as a spectrum of mech design than as black-and-white categories.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given all the other Einsts are naked, it's a wonder that Alfimi wears anything at all. Feels like it's a "The Hulk's pants" situation.

Considering how Alfimi came to be... is it really that surprising?

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering how Alfimi came to be... is it really that surprising?

I would then counter that she was born in her Lichkeit, and wasn't intended to leave it. Are clothes really necessary then?

Which reminds me, it looked like during OGs 2.5 that those integrated into the Omni-Dendro Encephalon System appear to be nude. So, OGs doesn't have problem au naturale mech piloting then, at least for the bad guys.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Obligatory:

Not having ever seen an Eva Unit in action, I assumed they were SR. Owing to having glimpsed over Akurasu, seeing the AT Field gimmick they get, and how tanking hits = Super in SRW, generally speaking. 

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Heyo, Persona's coming to Xbox! I'm gonna have to play 'em now...

Are you sure the Sun won't be three-quarters through its lifespan by the time you're done with one?

Why Atlus is skipping Ninty yet going to Xbox -the least Japan-oriented console- despite none of the P games being so new or technically demanding as to make Switch ports impossible, is baffling.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you sure the Sun won't be three-quarters through its lifespan by the time you're done with one?

Hey now, I tend to burn straight through games I really like! Lost Judgment took me just 26 hours, and it is one meaty game. LAD... Okay, I played through that one really slowly. But still, I'm not always that slow... I hope...

Speaking of, should I start with P3P, P4G or P5R?

Edited by Benice

Persona part of XGP huh....

And here i wanted good games

Well, i downloaded Yakuza 7 and Scarlet Nexus, so might play those soon. Just wanna finish some stuff i am busy with

Edited by Shrimpolaris

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would then counter that she was born in her Lichkeit, and wasn't intended to leave it. Are clothes really necessary then?

Which reminds me, it looked like during OGs 2.5 that those integrated into the Omni-Dendro Encephalon System appear to be nude. So, OGs doesn't have problem au naturale mech piloting then, at least for the bad guys.

I mean, do remember the Einst planned Alfimi to be the Eve to Kyosuke's Adam... and then remember who Alfimi was based on. So I would think she was expected to leave it at some point... and even if not and the plan was to get Kyosuke in... remember, Excellen can be such a big teaser.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not having ever seen an Eva Unit in action, I assumed they were SR. Owing to having glimpsed over Akurasu, seeing the AT Field gimmick they get, and how tanking hits = Super in SRW, generally speaking. 

Kinda, but many Reals get damage reduction/nullifying barriers too.

Actually, I think they aren't tanky outside of that.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Well, i downloaded Yakuza 7

YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHUIYGEDH-

Er, hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

16 hours ago, Armagon said:

Counterpoint: Thanos is both the protagonist and the antagonist of Infinity War.

That falls under "multiple opposing protagonists", since Thanos isn't the antagonist to himself.

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

The premise of the film, as left by the previous one, was about a world in which dinosaurs would coexist with the current species and the impact of that. But the premise of this new one is about locusts genetically engineered to destroy crops that aren't owned by the company that created them.

When you said before that the movie was about locusts, I thought you were being figurative. I suppose the dinosaurs wouldn't reproduce fast enough to cause a worldwide ecological crisis, so they needed bugs as the villains instead.

24 minutes ago, Benice said:

Heyo, Persona's coming to Xbox! I'm gonna have to play 'em now...

I think your JRPG backlog is big enough already, young man. You'll get your Persona privileges once you finish Xenoblade 2 and Trails in the Sky.

Maybe I can save Armagon the trouble and tell you not to play Persona 5.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Technically speaking, Evangelions

Spoiler

aren't robots at all, being organic

so I don't think they properly fit into either category.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

Technically speaking, Evangelions

Hide contents

aren't robots at all, being organic

so I don't think they properly fit into either category.

Not in the lore sense per se, but gameplay wise the distinction still exists, as the terms get used even for anything's that not a mecha. Just saying they're Super/Real, instead of Real Robot / Super Robot.

25 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hey now, I tend to burn straight through games I really like!

Not like my own game-playing habits can't be erratic or glacial. I'm my own biggest critic in this regard.😅

25 minutes ago, Benice said:

None of the above. Get PPSSPP and go back to the beginnings with Shin Megami Tensei: Persona.😝 Don't, the gameplay and visuals have aged poorly.

I haven't played any of modern Persona games, so I can't honestly say. However, the cast of each game has its own devotees from what I've seen, so they all seem to have held up. I'd say go chronological and start with Persona 3 then.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, do remember the Einst planned Alfimi to be the Eve to Kyosuke's Adam...

Adam and Eve aren't exactly known for their modesty.

Except, OGs made it rather pretty clear, if absurd, that the Einsts' biggest mistake was not realizing basic human anatomy when they created Alfimi. They did want Kyosuke, but they seem to have given up on him and made no efforts to get him later, even though Alfimi herself continued to want him.

-If only the Einst weren't so dang cryptic even when they're finally explaining themselves!

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Kinda, but many Reals get damage reduction/nullifying barriers too.

Actually, I think they aren't tanky outside of that.

Good point. R-1, R-3, and R-Gun all having TK Fields dawned on me after writing that. And, the Fairlions have E Fields, despite sub-1000 Armor and sub-4000 HP at base.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Except, OGs made it rather pretty clear, if absurd, that the Einsts' biggest mistake was not realizing basic human anatomy when they created Alfimi. They did want Kyosuke, but they seem to have given up on him and made no efforts to get him later, even though Alfimi herself continued to want him.

-If only the Einst weren't so dang cryptic even when they're finally explaining themselves!

Well, it all depends if Alfimi inheriting any... Excellen-ness... was a fluke or not.

Not that it matters for OGverse, since Alfimi recreated her body anyway, so... uh, she probably is anatomically correct now if she wasn't before.

Good point. R-1, R-3, and R-Gun all having TK Fields dawned on me after writing that. And, the Fairlions have E Fields, despite sub-1000 Armor and sub-4000 HP at base.

Yep. And usually it is the reals who mostly get the barrier abilities. Since it's them who need them most and have them in their source works to begin with.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I could swear that was years later, I remembered going to the cinema for that in 2005. That doesn't make sense.

Really.png.069d524055d01bc45043756e319c5038.png

Time is fluid here.

33 minutes ago, Benice said:

Want the one with the best gameplay? Play P5R.

Want the one with the best story? Play P3P.

Want the best of both worlds? Play P4G.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

None of the above. Get PPSSPP and go back to the beginnings with Shin Megami Tensei: Persona.😝 Don't, the gameplay and visuals have aged poorly.

Broke: Playing the PSP version

Woke: Playing the original PSX release